test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ship shields and Warp Theorist trait

misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
Kind of a nooby question here but I've begun to wonder how much high ship shields really matter. I had around 24,000 shields on my ship and I still noticed that my shields were going down pretty quick. I'm not talking about any kind of ship shield draining either, just normal PvE weapons fire on my shields. I've also noticed a good amount of people have pretty low shields like in the 8-10k range and don't bother to invest in the shield capacity, improved shield capacity, and advanced shield capacity space skills, so does shield capacity not really matter or what?

Also could someone explain how the Warp Theorist space trait works? I know what the electro-plasma system part of it does, but what does the warp core potential mean? Does it mean it increases my weapon, shield, engine, and auxiliary power levels during combat. As I've already tried un-equipping the trait and I didn't notice a difference in my power levels during combat, and if it does boost power levels, how much?

Comments

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    The bonus is whether minimal or broken due to some shenanigans.

Your shields also need a point at least in Shield Resiliency and/or Shield resilience/resistance buffs (EPTS, TSS).

That combined with a Resilient shield (that has a lower bleedthrough) should make them able to take a punch without dropping.

Against Borg's draining shield skill... You need a really high DrainX combined with a large shield capacity and investing enough in this would not be really worth it... since you'd cripple other vital areas.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I would argue that in the face of 250k+ torp salvos (that can happen in some queues) it's absolutely pointless to stack armor plating. If your shield is down you won't survive that. So having a strong shield is IMO the best way to tank.

Even then you're going to see your hull plink away with bleedthrough damage, suffer borg shield drain, and have problems with transphasics. You can't be good at everything, but IMO if you're going to focus on one or the other, go for strong shields over strong hull. When I die it's usually because a torp hits a weak shield facing. So I prefer strong shields. Just make sure you do take a couple hull heals to deal with bleedthrough.

I also want to give a shoutout to the secondary shield projector. I'm a DPS freak and like to find ways to slot damage consoles in all my slots, which you can do with universals and some unique science consoles. The secondary shield projector is the first console in the game I've seen that has an actually useful healing gimmick on it. That 30 seconds of secondary shield will save your life in some situations, and it also helps the rest of your team. Given the length of the buff the 2 minute cooldown isn't that bad.

Warp Core Potential was a skill you could put points into in the old skill system. They revamped it a while back and replaced it with a group of similar skills but called something different. Warp Core Potential increases your subsystem power levels regardless of their present power setting. It's a stronger version of Warp Core Efficiency, which increases power levels when they are at low power.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    > @casualsto said:
    > The bonus is whether minimal or broken due to some shenanigans.
    >
    > Your shields also need a point at least in Shield Resiliency and/or Shield resilience/resistance buffs (EPTS, TSS).
    >
    > That combined with a Resilient shield (that has a lower bleedthrough) should make them able to take a punch without dropping.
    >
    > Against Borg's draining shield skill... You need a really high DrainX combined with a large shield capacity and investing enough in this would not be really worth it... since you'd cripple other vital areas.

DrainX doesnt matter against the Borg tach beam..I run an 800 drains boat and sheilds are gone when they activate their tachyon beam

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User

Depending on how your build is set up, you may barely need any shield at all. I have no points in shield skills at all and no shield healing boff powers. Keeping power levels up is the only way I need to manage shields.

You can see an ISA run I did without any shield at all here. This build is so outdated but it gets the point across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ychPiTCBDH8
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    Shield capacity has not scaled as well as hull capacity has since Delta Rising hit many years ago. I would argue shield capacity is far lower than it should be given how much hull capacity has increased in the past few years. Most of my current builds have between 10k and 20k shields. That’s only slightly more than my builds before Delta Rising. My hull, on the other hand, has gone from being around 55k to being around 155k. Hull capacity has increased far more than shield capacity has and this is probably one of many reasons why shields are so weak now.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I can't believe the video. If I tried that I would be repeatedly insta-gibbed with borg torps. It's shocking how little fire they take during the match. I'm public enemy #1 in every queue I join.

I use 3 pieces of the Preeminent set on my S'torr and have about 23k forward and 34 or 35k rear shields.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of getting the ship with the ablative field trait in the C-store. I'm pilot spec and already get temp hitpoints from attack pattern expertise when I activate APO. With ablative field I would also get temp hitpoints when I activate sci team or TSS. It would help with bleedthrough damage.

If I do that I'm also kicking around the idea of changing my bridge officer's spec to miracle worker and using align shield frequencies 1 instead of pilot team 1. It would give me another source of temporary hitpoints.

I use the automated rerouting trait that gives all of my BO abilities a 10% chance to give a shield heal. Does anyone know if that will trigger ablative field projector? (I think it would? But I have to ask)