test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question of crew

So... I've been modelling my TOS character after Kirk and the original crew... but I'm undecided about a couple of the assignments. Most are easy, but let me ask what you think about the others.

First, let me explain my thinking on the stations.
There are 6 positions on the Bridge.

Tactical (Helm) -Sulu
Tactical (Security) -????
Engineering (Engineering) -Scott
Engineering (Operations) -????
Science (Science) -Spock
Science (Medical)- McCoy

Now, most of those are easy. The problems are the Security and Operations positions. Clearly, Uhura and Chekov will fill these posts, but I wasn't sure which to put where.

Uhura could actually be the SECURITY chief, coordinating security teams from the communications station on the bridge. That she wears red even matches up with this.
This would mean Chekov is Operations, which was Data's station. This would also match up with his work on the Bridge, as he often takes Spock's scanner, and he wears the gold shirt Data did.

Of course, it could be the other way around.

Uhura could be Operations, as she handles communications and all the shipboard activity. Chekov would then be Security (Tactical), which would be in keeping with his being at Navigation. Of course, he ought to wear red in that case....

So, I'm undecided. I'm leaning toward the former, with Uhura as Security Chief and Chekov at Ops, but was curious to know what the community thinks.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    You can't really compare departmental colors between TOS and TNG as Command and Operations (Security/Engineering) switched between the two. In TOS Command wore gold and Ops wore Red. Hence the term Redshirt when referring to the poor security guys who always died. In TNG it was switched so that Command wore red and Ops wore Gold.

So saying Chekov is in the correct place because of what uniform color Data wore is a rather bad example.

Also stations on the bridge were set up differently on a Galaxy class vs a Constitution class. Chekov was actually at the tactical station.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Uhura - Operations, Chekov - Security.

First, in-game, the Holo-BOFFs have Uhura classified as Engineering and Chekov as Tactical.

Also, Chekov was the Security Chief aboard the refit Enterprise. Uhura was the Communications Officer, which, I suppose, could fall under Operations.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Star Trek hasn't exactly been consistent with officer designators but I generally group communications officer as a science specialty rather than operations. Aquiel Uhnari, the only confirmed communications officer in the 24th century series, wore a blue shirt, and the job would logically require expertise in linguistics and cryptography (the former of which Uhura is confirmed to have, at least in the novels and the Kelvin Timeline).

Chekov I usually think was the tactical officer, a different post from helmsman or conn officer (remember that this isn't a ship with fixed-position weapons).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Communications is an intresting since you need both cryptography and Xenolinguistic skills, they would also need limited engineering skills to troubleshoot the coms should there be issues.

That said it's best to remember that the roles aren't mutually exclusive and it's possible to a person who is both science and engineering or tactical and what ever branch navigator is (that is btw Chekov's bridge position).

Even excluding the kelvin-timeline Geordi LaForge went from a helmsman to be the chief engineer (so he obviously had training in both) and so did Miles O'Brien (though in his case from navigator to chief of engineering/operations).
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Communications is an intresting since you need both cryptography and Xenolinguistic skills, they would also need limited engineering skills to troubleshoot the coms should there be issues.

That said it's best to remember that the roles aren't mutually exclusive and it's possible to a person who is both science and engineering or tactical and what ever branch navigator is (that is btw Chekov's bridge position).

Even excluding the kelvin-timeline Geordi LaForge went from a helmsman to be the chief engineer (so he obviously had training in both) and so did Miles O'Brien (though in his case from navigator to chief of engineering/operations).

We also saw Troi pilot the ship (more or less). I suspect all officers in all departments would get training to pilot this ship (and shuttles).

True but Troi was never "the pilot" for the ship, more a case of "it's the best we got at the moment".

Essentially you'd never see Troi in the Helmsman seat if there was viable alternative, while being the helmsman was LaForge's primary job for the whole of season 1 of TNG. The difference being what is the primary duty and what's back up of back up's back up.

For example my primary duty during my military service was a staff position in the regimental HQ, while I did perform other tasks when no-one else was avaible and I was a viable option. Still my primary duty remained the same for the whole 11 months I was in service.

Also I suspect that people like Troi have basic piloting skills (we see her at helm only twice, at Generations and Nemesis), while the assigned Helmsman would have more advanced training.
    There's a lot of cross-training in Starfleet. :mrgreen:

Sulu, along with being the helmsman, was an astroscientist with a specialty in botany.

Chekov was the navigator, but also weapons officer and back up science officer, later security chief and tactical officer.

Uhura was also a relief science officer in addition to being head of communications.
    GrWzQke.png
    There's a lot of cross-training in Starfleet. :mrgreen:

Sulu, along with being the helmsman, was an astroscientist with a specialty in botany.

Chekov was the navigator, but also weapons officer and back up science officer, later security chief and tactical officer.

Uhura was also a relief science officer in addition to being head of communications.

I think it was also implied that Picard was both a helmsman and a science officer, before he became a CO of a starship.

I'd suspect that each and every single Starfleet officer would have basic training in tactical, piloting and science, enough that know which end of the phaser to point at the enemy, pilot shuttles by themselves in trivial situations and can gather samples without contaminating them.
  • reyreyzeroreyreyzero Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Here are the crew assignment for the more notable ships in Star trek: https://imgur.com/a/zTbblHp
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
This discussion has been closed.