test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Report: Star Trek 4 has been canceled.

seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
Reports are coming out that the next Star Trek Movie has been canceled.

Not really sure why, but sounds like a mess of contract disputes. Sad to hear this, I really liked the last one (Beyond) and was looking forward to more.
Insert witty signature line here.

Comments

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    How dare they cancel Star Trek! Oh wait, they always cancel Star Trek. I guess it's okay then.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    valoreah wrote: »
    Meh, 3 JJ films was enough for me.

JJ Abrams didn't direct Beyond though. That was Justin Lin, who is also a fan of Star Trek. And I believe Simon Pegg (KT Scotty) helped write the story, which does feel more episodic than the previous two movies.

Right now the fault is most likely on Paramount because of issues involving money. The actors have said they'd like to do another Trek, but the company was apparently offering them less money to do it. Thus... dispute.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Beyond was better than the others, but still not great (and the Power of Rock bit was ridiculous).

Anyway, just wait 5 or 10 years, there'll probably be another reboot. Maybe done properly this time.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    There's also the fact that Trek films tend to get smaller audiences as they progress in a series, but tend to increase in cost.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Shame. Even ID itself was better than all of the previous films (bar TWoK, TUC, and FC) alone. Considering it's basically the same timeframe as DSC they could have done some interesting crossover themes if they could work together.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Also word is Trek 4 lost its director so... Development Hell. Alongside various other projects that may never see the light of day. I remember there were a couple video games years ago I was looking forward to... but they ended up in Development Hell.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I doubt we wait long as Tarantino is supposed to be working on a Trek movie
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    giphy.gif​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Tarantino?

Now I know what was in the suitcase, and why it was so important! Dilithium Crystals for the Enterprise to get back to the 24th century!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Just as well there are active TV series for us to watch again, otherwise we'd be looking at another Trek drought!

Well, at least until Quentin Tarantino Trek. ;)

Seriously though - you never know. They could just as easily ramp up again if the situation changes.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    f6c.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I kinda liked beyond...kind of a shame to have it go away just as it was getting good.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I actually liked them all, but I thought Beyond was particularly good. Would have been nice to see where they were going.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    it looks as though star trek 4 jj universe trek has been cancelled what do you think should happen now another reboot,should it just be left to die or can it be brought back to life what ideas do you guys have
    Post edited by r24681012 on
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    It's been shelved indefinitely, because the studio didn't want to meet Chris Pine's and Chris Hemsworth's salary demands.
    Abrams had nothing to do with film 3. The film series is not named after him.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »
    Abrams had nothing to do with film 3. The film series is not named after him.​​

They're still gonna say it because he started the Kelvin Timeline, and some people still see it as a bad thing so... differenciate by name of originator.
    szim wrote: »
    It's been shelved indefinitely, because the studio didn't want to meet Chris Pine's and Chris Hemsworth's salary demands.

For every article which says this, a competing article says otherwise. Now, as Monty Python famously demonstrated, it's easy to get someone to say "otherwise" but I haven't seen an announcement from the studios saying that they have actually done what everyone seems to think they did.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Abrams had nothing to do with film 3. The film series is not named after him.

They're still gonna say it because he started the Kelvin Timeline, and some people still see it as a bad thing so... differenciate by name of originator.

It's just 'othering' to help them distinguish their 'True Trek' from new material.​​

#TASforSTO

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Abrams had nothing to do with film 3. The film series is not named after him.

It's just 'othering' to help them distinguish their 'True Trek' from new material.​​

And the only difference between using JJTrek or JJ universe Trek and Kelvin Timeline is that one is the official terminology. After all JJTrek was used long before the Kelvin Timeline became official.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    old news... they had contracts signed but studio walked away and wanted pay cuts... actors gave em the bird.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Merged duplicate thread from page two.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Meh, 3 JJ films was enough for me.

JJ Abrams didn't direct Beyond though. That was Justin Lin, who is also a fan of Star Trek. And I believe Simon Pegg (KT Scotty) helped write the story, which does feel more episodic than the previous two movies.

Right now the fault is most likely on Paramount because of issues involving money. The actors have said they'd like to do another Trek, but the company was apparently offering them less money to do it. Thus... dispute.

They'd still be making a killing in salaries even if they were being paid 10% less and yet they consider it too cheap for them? it comes across more an issue of ungrateful actors who should accept what they are getting is still a good deal. But now they aren't getting paid for anything and have to look around for other acting jobs. I'm not sure what the actors were hoping for since they are worse off now than they were before.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > Meh, 3 JJ films was enough for me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > JJ Abrams didn't direct Beyond though. That was Justin Lin, who is also a fan of Star Trek. And I believe Simon Pegg (KT Scotty) helped write the story, which does feel more episodic than the previous two movies.
    >
    > Right now the fault is most likely on Paramount because of issues involving money. The actors have said they'd like to do another Trek, but the company was apparently offering them less money to do it. Thus... dispute.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They'd still be making a killing in salaries even if they were being paid 10% less and yet they consider it too cheap for them? it comes across more an issue of ungrateful actors who should accept what they are getting is still a good deal. But now they aren't getting paid for anything and have to look around for other acting jobs. I'm not sure what the actors were hoping for since they are worse off now than they were before.

I don't think Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pine *need* to work in the first place. And they can very well pick and choose from their offers. They are definitely not on the losing side here 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Hemsworth has made quite a name for himself as Thor. And Pine's pretty much a rising star too with his role in Wonder Woman, that one train movie with Denzel Washington, and being in the starring role of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

If Paramount offered them less than they got for the other Trek movies after getting to be successful like that...
    Frankly I'd offer equivelent because they're good actors and they were in previous movies. I wouldn't shortchange them to reprise roles.