test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ship orientation question

I've been playing STO off and on again since it originally debuted and I do enjoy it. I have often wondered, though, if there was a different way of displaying the ships maneuverability in game. It would seem that on a starship utilizing artificial gravity, the crew would always believe they were standing upright and that the ship was level regardless of the actual orientation of the ship to any interstellar object. Would it be possible to allow users the option of selecting a means of ship handling where the ship stays level and the surrounding environment rotates and moves in accordance with the players controls? I think this would add an interesting dynamic to the combat missions and it would allow the ship to actually rotate 360 degrees in any direction. Not just +60/-60 degrees in the y-axis and 360 degrees in the x-axis.
350?cb=20100225033520&path-prefix=en

Comments

• engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • kcansur7kcansur7 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I remember reading about this years ago, and it would require an entire overhaul of the physics engines. The technology for that just isn't compatible with the way the game was designed.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    kcansur7 wrote: »
    I remember reading about this years ago, and it would require an entire overhaul of the physics engines. The technology for that just isn't compatible with the way the game was designed.

Wrong.

Daniel Stahl (I believe) said A LONG TIME AGO that they had full 3D motion in the game during a prototype and they didn't like how ships look upside down and sideways, and that it also didn't feel very true to the series, so we have what we do now.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪