test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Opinions on best ship shield?

misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
I'm looking for everybody's opinions on what they think is the best ship shields. I normally like high capacity shields and right now I have the Bajor Defense Covariant Shield Array because it's the highest capacity shield that I can get right now. I'm thinking of getting the Delta Alliance Unimatrix Shield Array because it has the highest shield capacity in the game as far as I know. I've heard elite fleet shields are good too but their capacity is rather low. Also I have absolutely no interest in that junk Iconian set, I know everybody says it's the best set but it takes a ridiculous amount of dilithium and datacores to buy all the pieces and it's set power is only an active ability and I would only see it as worthwhile if it was a passive effect and not only last some dumb 30 seconds with a recharge time. I'm just wanting a "stand-alone" shield, nothing to do with set powers or anything like that.

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    I'm looking for everybody's opinions on what they think is the best ship shields. I normally like high capacity shields and right now I have the Bajor Defense Covariant Shield Array because it's the highest capacity shield that I can get right now. I'm thinking of getting the Delta Alliance Unimatrix Shield Array because it has the highest shield capacity in the game as far as I know. I've heard elite fleet shields are good too but their capacity is rather low. Also I have absolutely no interest in that junk Iconian set, I know everybody says it's the best set but it takes a ridiculous amount of dilithium and datacores to buy all the pieces and it's set power is only an active ability and I would only see it as worthwhile if it was a passive effect and not only last some dumb 30 seconds with a recharge time. I'm just wanting a "stand-alone" shield, nothing to do with set powers or anything like that.

So there are things to consider when looking at Shields

Covariants= Highest capacity Shields....Downside is that 10% of bleed through damage.Takes a while to Fully Regenerate
    Resiliant = Mid level in terms of capacity...5% Absorption and 5% bleed through..
    Regenerative = Lowest level in terms of Capacity but have the highest amount of shield regenerated per second.

All of the Fleet and Rep shields fall under these categories (Im positive there are all 3 variants for fleet shields)
    For just a stand alone..Id look at fleet or the Quantum Phase Mission Reward Shield.

The Iconian Space set is great when your in a team enviorn. Hot restart..Auto debuff clearing and Damage boosting all in 1set...However.Full disclosure.I run science ships and as nice as this set is I stick to the Gamma set (Works better on my sci ship builds)

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    The highest capacity shields are the covariants.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ship_Shields
    You can sort by max capacity to see the strongest shields. The best shield is a shield that can give other bonuses to your build not just a random high capacity shield. You lose out a lot of potential as the shield slot is wasted on one ability max capacity.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • jimduval#7537 jimduval Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    As for the regular shields my personal preference is the middle ground. It has decent enough recharge and can take a few hits before breaking down on me.

I must tell you tho, the sets out there are actually helpful, also just because you use 1 part of an set or 2 does not mean you must use the full set. Take a look around on builds and you will see people using 1 or 2 pieces of a 3 or 4 piece set just because that 1 or 2 piece helps them better then the entire set ever can.

Example - few days back i won that winter event ship but soon after i started using it i noticed that it goes to pieces real quickly, like its made over extra dry paper :P Then yesterday i was on the story arc of the iconian war and the very last mission gave me parts of the Sol Defense . After checking up on its workings i noticed the 2 piece would exactly do what i needed to have that ship survive a bit longer. Ended up only mounting the shield and engine of that set and since then i am blowing up a lot less. I could have go for the 3 piece but i have little use for that last part and thus can use the deflector as a kobali witch in turn gave me even more passive healings and resistances.

Hope it is a little more clear for you know of what the benefits are of a set and in what measure an full set is needed for the desired effects. Good luck and have fun out there ok, friendly regards from.
    Jim
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    my go-to shields are the Adapted MACO, because I like the 2 pcs buff to torpedos. several of my alts use the Preeminent suite. Don't judge shields by thier capacity, look for set bonuses that work with your playstyle.
    Spock.jpg

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    While part of a set (with crappy bonuses so they can be ignored), I like the Aegis shield.
    Its craftable, so you can find it on the Exchange. So no Dil needed.

And... its a Bind on Account set so you can use it and then when you get one you like better, you can pass it off to another of your characters. I have mine on my Delta Recruit mainly because I didn't want to spend any Dil on a toon I only made for the Delta Recruit account bonuses.

My main toon is currently using 3 pieces of the Bajoran set w/ the competitive impulse engine for the turn boost. Works fine, has a aoe drain that works well with my ship setup and engineering aoe power.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I'm no min-maxer, but generally speaking I prefer the resilient shields while leveling.

Once set bonuses come into play I am more flexible.