test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fighter Improvement. (theorycrafting challenge)

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
Take a fighter or shuttle already in the game, C-store or 'dilithium' (common) availabilty

your goal is to name a maximum of one step improvement it needs to be better than it is across the base stats. (aka one console slot, or a specific trait, or a weapon slot, etc.) or one stat increase of no more than 50%, etc etc. ONLY one change you would make.

sell your idea to the other forumites.

Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    any fighter/frigate/whatever. Improve the AI
    Spock.jpg

• sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    How about a special ability for carriers that plays "Highway to the Danger Zone" when you launch fighters?
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Simple answer - at least a commander/up to four boff powers, ie 2x uni lt or 1x ens and 1x ltc for example) bridge layout - theres at least 4/5 seats on a shuttle, so why not not more boff slots

Or at least an lt uni seat as standard so we can at least run dual attack powers/epte, ect

At the other end of the spectrum, maybe some kind of gimmick like temp ships/rom ships - the shuttle is pre-equipped with a selection of powers that charge in combat such as heals, damage boost, tractor beam and so on
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would give them some built in abilities that vary from type (so by fighter/shuttle/frigate.), and even by the different models in that type (like the delta flyer compared to the type 10 for shuttles as an example). This could be that some fighters get built in attack patters and even weapon buffs for example, while a more science based fighter could have science heals or aoe abilities or a mixture of science and tactical.). This could lead to some spec small craft that come with the spec-boff abilities as innate.A flip of this would be some small-craft specific mechanics that are tied to the different craft.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The biggest improvement I would make is more small craft focused content, as far as power levels go they're fine. The main problem is that there's few times that shuttles are used in a their proper role.

In Star Trek you're not suppose to be able to solo anything but maybe the weakest of capital ships with a small craft, their role is to exploit gaps created by larger ships in fleet battles, raid "non-combat" ships or act as close in support for ground troops.
  • ksathra2ksathra2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @patrickngo said:
    > sierra078 wrote: »
    >
    > How about a special ability for carriers that plays "Highway to the Danger Zone" when you launch fighters?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ugh, no. Iron Maiden, "Aces High" if you're going to pay for pop music, it should at least be good.

One Vision by Queen, if I have to ex0lain how that is fighter related I'll be very disappointed. Also, Delta Flyer, make the uni Ensign seat a Lt. seat.

Ah yes Iron Eagle. Fun movie. :)
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I see your Queen song, and raise you Ronnie James Dio's "Hide in the Rainbow".

As for improving shuttles, maybe offer lieutenant and ensign seats, making the lieutenant tactical for say, the Peregrine, and universal ensign.

Also, is it just me, or does the thumbnail for the Peregrine resemble an F-22?
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Here is another idea though it would reduce the appeal of using the dominion faction an ships slightly. The the wingmen mechanic an apply it to the small craft, which would give them more abilities to use an some additional power against larger ship types. Than you could adapt the wingmen mechanic that one/two of the three abilities tied to the mechanic change based on what type of ship you have, giving each type more variety an appeal. Maybe something like with shuttles instead of the single target debuff ability it is now an aoe based one.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    For fighter pets "boom bang a bang" might be better suited.

As for tweaks, remove the carriers subsystem attacks and instead have them instruct the wings to do things like form to strafe the weakest shield, a bombing run, boost to evasion and so on.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    sierra078 wrote: »
    How about a special ability for carriers that plays "Highway to the Danger Zone" when you launch fighters?

ugh, no. Iron Maiden, "Aces High" if you're going to pay for pop music, it should at least be good.

>Iron Maiden
    >pop music

What?
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I always wondered why my carrier versions of fighters have better stats than the playable versions? I.E. I am in a Peregrine and get 2 weapons and 1 BO slot for ensign skill. But I can buy and elite that has 3 weapons (phaser turret, dual phaser cannon, quantum torp) and a LT BO skill (canon rapid fire). Same for Danube runabout. Advanced Danubes get a Lt level Tractor beam II, and the yellowstone has Lt Com Tractor beam III. And why do fighters get launched in sets of 2 or 3 depending on the specific craft, but if I'm piloting it, I don't have wingmen? Seriously, if a squadron is 4 or 6....where are my wingmen?
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Glad to see this come up again. I had made a post a while back about it. Which you can still find here. Where I added a traits to said fighters. Which, could be applied across other small craft as well. You can find it here, it's a dead thread though, so don't necro it.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1241963/t6-fighters-the-pipe-dream
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.