test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Recruits Make A Return to Console?

poseidon#9721 poseidon Member Posts: 89 Arc User
Will Delta, Gamma, and Temporal Recruits be back?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Who knows....

PC hasn't even gotten a rerun of Temporal or Gamma yet....and Gamma happened not to long ago for console (and less than a year for PC) so if it happens...it wont be for a while.
  • poseidon#9721 poseidon Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Maybe it will happen for the 10th Anniversary. Which is about a year from now. That would make the Anniversary Event even more awesome.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I wouldn't put any particular speculation into when another recruitment event will happen. They take a lot of work to orchestrate on the back end (source: Ten Forward Weekly. This is not a simple switch to flip) and while Cryptic is capable of pulling that off when there's a great opening in the schedule there are significant internal constraints that make any speculation per the calendar kinda moot (since the variables are internal.)

We may see another recruitment event re-run sometime in the future but that's pretty much the full extent of what we can say about it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    I highly doubt it anytime soon.
    Considering how much of a mess the Mission Journal revamp has made for Delta and Temporal Recruits. I can't see the Devs doing any repeats until that (and allowing repeats of Wasteland for FED and KDF characters) gets done first.

Not that I wouldn't mind another Delta repeat. I wasn't actively playing when that repeated. I'd love to roll a Rommie and KDF Deltas.
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    Ever since the repeat of the Delta Recruit event, I have been hoping for a repeat of the Temporal Agent Recruitment event.

A strike against Temporal Agent Recruiting is that it was a TOS Federation-only event. Sure, your Klingons and Romulans can benefit from what your Temporal Agent did, but the agent could not be a Klingon or Romulan or even a "modern day" Federation character. They were limited to the TOS-era Federation races; Human, Andorian, Tellarite, or Vulcan.

On the other hand, when they repeated the Delta Recruitment event the stated reason was to allow newer players an easier way to "catch up" to the established players, and repeating the Temporal Agent event would accomplish much the same goal if memory serves, with the added bonus of "forcing" (and I do not mean to make that come across as a bad word here) players that want something other than a TOS-era Captain to create and play that second character.

If you are looking for patterns in an attempt to predict a repeat there just isn't enough to go on.

The only repeat so far was Delta Recruitment. It happened three years after the first one, and in the same months (April-May).

So does that mean that July-August of this year will see the return of Temporal Recruitment (three years after it first appeared)?
    Does that mean that we will see Temporal Recruitment in April-May (three years later and in the same months as the last repeat)?
    Does it mean that every three years in April-May we will get a repeat of the Delta (or some other) Recruitment event?

It would be quite a reach to say any of those things with certainty.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    The problem Cryptic ran up against is that the Temporal Recruitment re-run specifically (which they were discussing prior to AoD) incentivizes players to play through the AoY story line when they're trying to promote AoD. So, it works at cross purposes; they want players to create temporally displaced DSC captains to be complimented by the current story arc, upcoming TFO's, ships, boxes ect. Academically, sure if players made a TOS character it would be a change of pace (which might help with DSC burnout). But, what they risk most in actively pushing players to make a TOS character ATM (as opposed to ROM, KDF, or DOM) is burning players out of the temporal agent concept and FED leveling experience. It's something best left up to the player's own initiative, not an added rewards scheme, for the time being.

PS. The Delta Recruitment event was re-run because there was a very convenient hole in the event/release schedule that it could fill and Cryptic was discussing about a temporal re-run shortly there after without any consideration of incidental anniversaries. I would strongly advise caution in setting any expectation based on a rote pattern (most likely, it has no weight here.) Generally, they're going to wait a while before considering a recruitment event re-run but there literally isn't anything to gain in keeping to the same block of months irrespective of what's going on in-game at that time and what they need to be working on.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    I have pretty much deleted all my characters that are not some kind of recruit and/or have penciled in slots of characters I'm going to create when the recruitment events are re-run.

Currently my actively played characters are an AoD - purely because there was no recruitment event, a Romulan Delta and a Jem'hadar Gamma. I'm certainly not intersted in spending any Zen on a non recruit.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I have pretty much deleted all my characters that are not some kind of recruit and/or have penciled in slots of characters I'm going to create when the recruitment events are re-run.

Currently my actively played characters are an AoD - purely because there was no recruitment event, a Romulan Delta and a Jem'hadar Gamma. I'm certainly not intersted in spending any Zen on a non recruit.

I haven't went there quite yet, but I have certainly moved that way.

I have a Captain in every faction, with a Federation, Romulan, and Klingon Delta, a Temporal Recruit, and a Jem'Hadar that I played through the tutorial (was there an event attached to them?), along with my original (okay, not quite original but it's a long story) Federation Captain.

But my Temporal Recruit is not the Captain I want. I made another TOS Captain that I like a lot more and have been playing them as my main (and for me that means "almost exclusively"), but I am hesitant to invest much beyond time into the character.

They bring back the Temporal Recruit event then the first thing I do is move the assets that these two TOS characters (my Temporal Recruit and my current main) have before I delete them and re-roll the Captain I am playing now.

And once I do that, I start using up those lockboxes that I have sitting around and start looking at maybe spending some Zen.
This discussion has been closed.