test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flash Sale....Bad Business model

So its new years day and theres a sale....good idea. Then why do cryptic make it a 12 hr duration???

Lots of people at this time of year are visiting friends and relatives or similar. By the time I got back I missed the sale by literally minutes. Now the ship I would have been buying is back to full price and I wont buy it at that on principle. So end result is I feel cheated by a sale that I couldn't take advantage of and cryptic have lost out on revenue as I would have been using actual mony to purchase it rather than converted dil/zen.

This type of business model often infuriates and frustrates customers and that is why many other online games avoid it. I have no problem buying things related to this game for real world money as I know it will only continue if people support it, but I wont be treated like a cash cow through restricting the availability of discounts or sales and forcing me to pay full price.

Comments

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    But there's always another sale around the corner. You missed this one sure, but another will happen, and probably sooner rather than later.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • jimduval#7537 jimduval Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Missed it too, am not worried tho. Sooner or later an sale will appear again and maybe even an beter one then this 30% :)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    But there's always another sale around the corner. You missed this one sure, but another will happen, and probably sooner rather than later.​​
    Yes there will be other ones but chances are the same people who missed this one will miss the next ones. Done correctly flash sales are good but the way STO has handled flash handles in the past leaves a negative experience to part of the player base along with reducing money spent from that part of the player base.

Using myself as an example I have missed 99% of the flash sales because they almost always appear very late at night and by the time I have woken up in the morning had breakfast and found out about them the 8 hour sale has finished. I missed this one because I woke up, had breakfast and was to late its finished. Everyone else in similar time zones experiences the same thing.

Flash sales should either happen at different times of day so the players in different time zones can access them or they should be longer.

You would think the dev would have learnt by now and would have flash sales so that entire player base can spend money in the flashsales instead of cutting off part of the player base from spending in flash sales. I have been trying to buy some T6 ships for 6+months now. But I have not managed to be online for a single sale. Lost money for the devs because they don't know how to hold sales to maximise profits.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    yes, to be clear, im not saying flash sales are a bad thing, I'm saying a 12 hr window is a bad thing...make it 24hr, then everyone on the globe has an equal chance of getting it.

Again I agree there's likely another one round the corner, but I'm keeping my money in my pocket until I see one at 30%. That's bad for the game and the developers, there's a cash stream there that they are missing. When a 20% one comes round I wont pay my cash now as ive seen it for 30% so I wont be going for a lesser sale. I was looking at the delta pack so it would have been a chunk of change.

It seems daft in this day and age to make a decision that actively limits their cash flow. Had this been a 24hr sale they would have made £50 from me. Ill hold that cash in my wallet, or more likely spend it elsewhere before my wife and kids spend it, so the next time the sales on I may not even be able to spare it. it just seems like bad business choice to me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Always someone complaining whenever there's a flash sale. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.