Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge 48 Discussion Thread

hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
edited December 2018 in Ten Forward

Comments

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    EDIT:

Apparently I posted the story where the discussion goes, and the discussion where the story goes.

My event focused on Liberated Borg as a group more than it did on a single ship or ship's crew. I hope I have not strayed too far from the original intent of the prompt.

Is it permitted to make multiple unrelated entries?
    Post edited by brian334 on
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Hey @brian334. Looks like you're posting in the discussion thread (where we can chat about the entries). The other thread is the entry thread.

@starswordc - New threads posted. Can you sticky when you get a chance? Thanks!
    edited December 2018
    brian334 wrote: »
    Is it permitted to make multiple unrelated entries?

Yep. The convention is one entry per prompt (and there are three prompts).
    brian334 wrote: »
    My event focused on Liberated Borg as a group more than it did on a single ship or ship's crew. I hope I have not strayed too far from the original intent of the prompt.

That was great. I enjoyed that read, the ice-drill bit, and the speech. Nice work!
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Interesting. If I decide to do the 3rd one, it'll be set in a certain alternate reality with magic as a major influence on spacefaring societies plus other things.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Gonna have to see if I can knock something together, these prompts look like fun.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • serioushughieserioushughie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I've only just discovered this literary challenge - can someone explain the rules for participating (or point me in the direction where I can find them)?
    I've only just discovered this literary challenge - can someone explain the rules for participating (or point me in the direction where I can find them)?

Write a story based on one of the prompts and post it in the other thread.

Good luck!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    The rules are basically that you have (approximately) a month to write a story that involves some version of at least one of the themes in the first post of the story thread, and that your tale must conform to the standard posting rules for these forums (for instance, any bad language will translate as TRIBBLE, so if you're inclined to what some call "realistic" language, you may need some workarounds for this). Also, it should either follow the continuity established in STO, or, if (like the Masterverse tales, for example) you're working in an alt-u style, you should specify this fact. It's going to take people right out of the story if you have a Federation starship where discipline is enforced like the 17th-century British navy, or a Klingon cruiser with a counselor.

Also, if you comment on others' stories, please be courteous and constructive. ("That stinks!" is not constructive commentary. :smile: )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • serioushughieserioushughie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Sounds brilliant! I think I'll give it a shot - thanks for the info, folks!
    Oh TRIBBLE, Jon, now I have to write a story about a Klingon cruiser with a counselor. (MU already covers the first one.) ((Mirror Universe, not Marvel Universe. Speaking of which, notice how absent Ms. Marvel and Capt. Marvel are from the Marvel Universe?))

Patrick, I have to hand it to you for your entry. You did more in that short-short to describe the immediacy of Moab's culture than I've seen in pages of the Masterverse stories. They dance because life's literally too short to waste, and joy has to be experienced as completely as possible right now!

Hmm, social interaction as a kind of currency? Not literally, but subjectively? I extrapolate too much.
    edited December 2018
    @brian334 Nice work. What a hard turn of events for the Captain, and interesting usage with the network.

@patrickngo Good one. I liked that he opened up in the end.
    Patrick, I think it's perfect as is. The festival is the point, and his figuring out what it was about completed the tale. The characters served their purpose and, once done, there is no need to wonder what comes next. Let the audience ship that as they like!
    @patrickngo, I need some help with planning out my story.

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    I'm planning out a story about Mathaye encountering an intact (mostly) Crossfield with its crew consumed by the spores they were using for their drive. The spores remind me of the Protomolecule from The Expanse
    series and novels. I'm trying to figure out how they would consume the crew.

• knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    I've got one up. Holiday prompt, though a bit different, using Q's winter wonderland sort of. Been meaning to do this idea for a while,just finally got a chance to.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

What do you give the omnipotent being who already has whatever he wants as soon as he knows he wants it?

Awesome story. I bet deLancie would love it!
    Good work @knightraider6. A trustworthy Q, never thought I'd see the day.
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Good work @knightraider6. A trustworthy Q, never thought I'd see the day.

Well Evans is one of the few people who does trust Q.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    So, the 'deadline' is what? Thirty days from the thread's initial posting?
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @anubis0sarvour said:
    > So, the 'deadline' is what? Thirty days from the thread's initial posting?

Start of the next challenge, really. I'm planning to post a new one with a "first contact" theme this weekend.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Write your story, man! Deadlines be damned.