test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My suggestions for the next Foundry challenge

Now that the ViL challenge is essentially done and the editor isn't really useble atm, it got me thinking about ideas for the next challenge. Obviously these are just suggestions and the Roundtable crew can ignore them should they choose to do so. However lets get to the suggestions before this post becomes a small novel.

1."tales from the war"
This is the DSC themed suggestion and essentially it's tell a sidestory from the UFP/Klingon war that happened in season 1 of DSC. It can be anything from a major battle the Discovery wasn't involved in (excluding Starbase 1 obviously), to the story of outpost too small to matter in the Grand scheme but obviously important to the people living there.

2."formal first contact"
This would be a more general suggestion but the theme is essentially a formal first contact with a race, it can be the story of the first contact with a pre-existing race or a First contact with a race that is the author's invention, only real limits would that it's post 2160 (aka that UFP exists) and that it's a formal first contact with full on diplomatic meetings rather then just the player's ship stumbling into a previously unknown race.

Any comments are welcome.

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Discovery Challenge! :)

- Create a mission in the Disocvery era. (2256/7?)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Discovery Challenge! :)
    >
    > - Create a mission in the Disocvery era. (2256/7?)

It will be hard to do without FED or KDF Disco era groups available to use
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Discovery Challenge! :)
    >
    > - Create a mission in the Disocvery era. (2256/7?)

It will be hard to do without FED or KDF Disco era groups available to use

Not really you use the default FED and KDF groups, there's a nice enough selection of DSC era ships to choose from. The weapons will be in-correct and atm we don't "DSC klingon" as costume option but you can make decent enough mock-up. I'm actually (slowly) building a DSC era mission and I started it before most of DSC stuff was avaible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4Yve-jZGQ&t=1343s

That a Youtube link to the Roundtable people looking at some of my DSC era project maps, obviously this project is invalid as I've been working on it for quite a while now, but it shows that DSC era is possible without the specific NPC-groups.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Few of things that I personally want to wait on for this:
    1. Key bug fixes (naturally :tongue: )
    2. The maps Kael's been trying to get us. Before extra life he was working on a couple of maps and I think he has a good handle on the types of events we'd be wanting to run in future. IE. DSC stuff. So if that was his intention then I want that content to be ready in the highest profile thing we'll do in the near term regarding DSC (get the most use out of it for his effort.)
    3. Other assets. DSC Klingons NPC's and Tardigrades would be great to have for a DSC challenge but neither of those are coming in the immediate future because Kael hasn't yet learned the requisite process from Zero for adding NPC's (he's got maps down.) So add this to another "thing to ask for in trying to plan with him about how to best orchestrate another challenge.") Depending on how DSC Klingon customization options are added to the main game though we might get them automatically, so this is probably a "play it by ear" point.
    4. DSC Klingon ships are essential and we don't have any but the Sarco yet. DSC FED ships we have now in full.
    5. Timing. This needs to start after any upcoming routine maintenance to be sure we're not going to run into another ViL situation. Two in a row would not be helpful to the community.

So with all that said, yah I'm personally all for a DSC challenge and I think Spiritborn's war idea is a good one for the parallel with the ICO anthology and a slightly more specific prompt than ViL (it's helpful to mix things up.) First contact would be quite interesting but perhaps too specific when paired with the DSC setting. I think that would better be handled as a separate challenge with no specific context in mind so players have the most creative latitude (so, maybe something for afterwards.)

After Cryptic's back at work and we announce the winners of ViL we can start talking to Kael about all this stuff to be ready for the next good window to start the challenge (Ex. immediately after the anniversary or AoD part 2 depending on how everything takes shape.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Speaking of maintenance. Didn't they say Season 16 was going to release around the time of the anniversary? We may have another downtime :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Few of things that I personally want to wait on for this:
    1. Key bug fixes (naturally :tongue: )
    2. The maps Kael's been trying to get us. Before extra life he was working on a couple of maps and I think he has a good handle on the types of events we'd be wanting to run in future. IE. DSC stuff. So if that was his intention then I want that content to be ready in the highest profile thing we'll do in the near term regarding DSC (get the most use out of it for his effort.)
    3. Other assets. DSC Klingons NPC's and Tardigrades would be great to have for a DSC challenge but neither of those are coming in the immediate future because Kael hasn't yet learned the requisite process from Zero for adding NPC's (he's got maps down.) So add this to another "thing to ask for in trying to plan with him about how to best orchestrate another challenge.") Depending on how DSC Klingon customization options are added to the main game though we might get them automatically, so this is probably a "play it by ear" point.
    4. DSC Klingon ships are essential and we don't have any but the Sarco yet. DSC FED ships we have now in full.
    5. Timing. This needs to start after any upcoming routine maintenance to be sure we're not going to run into another ViL situation. Two in a row would not be helpful to the community.

So with all that said, yah I'm personally all for a DSC challenge and I think Spiritborn's war idea is a good one for the parallel with the ICO anthology and a slightly more specific prompt than ViL (it's helpful to mix things up.) First contact would be quite interesting but perhaps too specific when paired with the DSC setting. I think that would better be handled as a separate challenge with no specific context in mind so players have the most creative latitude (so, maybe something for afterwards.)

After Cryptic's back at work and we announce the winners of ViL we can start talking to Kael about all this stuff to be ready for the next good window to start the challenge (Ex. immediately after the anniversary or AoD part 2 depending on how everything takes shape.)

We have at least the DSC bird of prey and the Battlecruiser and obviously we'll have to wait but it doesn't mean we can't discuss this now. Though it goes without saying that timing for this is important.

Oh and the First Contact idea was to give a challenge idea that isn't specific to DSC era, since some people seem to allergic to anything involving DSC.
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I like the First Contact idea.​​
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

We have at least the DSC bird of prey and the Battlecruiser and obviously we'll have to wait but it doesn't mean we can't discuss this now. Though it goes without saying that timing for this is important.

Found em! I'll list the names since they aren't conventionally set ATM.
    • Sech class flagship
    • KDF Bird of Prey
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!