test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random TFO needs options for Space or Ground Specializations

Commando and Strategist are both very different and very useful in their own intended areas. But the new randoms don't allow choosing to set up for one or the other or both. Being set up for space and ending up on a borg ground isn't optimal. We labored to have the options, let us use them. An option to choose Space, Ground or both would make this new Random TFO really wonderful.

Great job guys and gals, seriously!
LLAP

Comments

• ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    As I said in another thread: sorry but I disagree.
    Usually people are scared about ground missions, this is because to get proficient on ground require a bit longer time.
    The random TFO will push every players to explore ground missions. It will push people to try ground over and over, at some point, in average, the players will become better.
    What it would be nice is to be able to have the right specs active for the right mission.
    One proposal would be to separate the specs for ground mission and space mission. Imagine a system for which, every time you go on space the two specs you selected for space would be activate. The same thing would happen instead for ground missions.
    Another proposal would be to have 30 seconds, inside the mission, to select the right specs.
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I am not specced for ground STF's (I prefer the old terminology) so I would indeed like to have the option to opt of it but in close to 100 STF's I have only been "forced" into 3 ground STF's. 2 were successfully completed and 1 had to be abandoned... 3 players left the moment they realized it was a ground STF.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • parish#5017 parish Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    What it would be nice is to be able to have the right specs active for the right mission.
    One proposal would be to separate the specs for ground mission and space mission. Imagine a system for which, every time you go on space the two specs you selected for space would be activate. The same thing would happen instead for ground missions.
    Another proposal would be to have 30 seconds, inside the mission, to select the right specs.

Excellent idea!! The time option would likely be the easiest to implement. Thanks!!

• greatpicklegreatpickle Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    The new system as is renders Pilot, Strategist, and commando unuseable. Either incorporate them into another specialization or make them changeable. This is important and i have stated this several times in multiple threads. My engineer has not been as effective since this botched attempt at bringing life into "TFO's" that people hate and have hated for years.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Look i know i may appear to be a simpleton in my understanding of this but some one enlighten me as to just how having a spec or not having one is so vital to your "build" that you are crippled and unplayable in a mission? And as some one here said go afk that is just bad all around to leave your team in such a manner.

This is over something that is not required of any one to have in order to play ground missions or space for that matter. If requiring them is so critical then the entire game is broken as no one starts with them filled out much less all the options available to them.

Yes being able to change spec why in a mission even at the start only during the missions instructions phase would be nice to have. But by no means is that something that effects the RTFO. If any thing its a separate issue dealing with players mentality of i half to be spec just right for each mission. Part of random is (i cant beleave i'm using even a part of this reference but) like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

So unless some how i have missed something this is a not a game altering issue. Can't play unless you have total min maxed on a mission? Then q direct for the missions and leave the random button alone. Skip the extra marks box that is your payment for rising to the challenge to take what ever the game can throw at you.

And yes i take my own advice i only use random on my toons that are equipped to adapt and play any mission. All that are not as well equipped don't hit that random button.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • hunubul1hunubul1 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    It's not critical, but defeats the purpose of having different types of specializations. I forget to change them even if I don't use random. This is exactly why traits were separated, and should be done the same for specs. Having to change stuff is just not something I like doing. Also I was a healer on ground so far, and damage in space. Not having miracle worker on ground made me a lot less effective, but because 95% of the time I'm in space I change it to my space spec.

So being able to set ground and space specs would be a wonderful idea, that would make RTFO more popular, and would make people experiment with different builds more. Which would be a good thing.
  • alex475#7263 alex475 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    > @ayexeyen said:
    > As I said in another thread: sorry but I disagree.
    > Usually people are scared about ground missions, this is because to get proficient on ground require a bit longer time.
    > The random TFO will push every players to explore ground missions. It will push people to try ground over and over, at some point, in average, the players will become better.
    > What it would be nice is to be able to have the right specs active for the right mission.
    > One proposal would be to separate the specs for ground mission and space mission. Imagine a system for which, every time you go on space the two specs you selected for space would be activate. The same thing would happen instead for ground missions.
    > Another proposal would be to have 30 seconds, inside the mission, to select the right specs.

And I disagree with you, ground combat in this game is atrocious, and that's trying to be nice about it, forcing people to play what they don't want to and rightfully so, will just make people abandon the game altogether.

Elitists need to get into their thick head, a game without players is a dead game.

What's needed is for the game to be fixed, I don't know what's going on on PC or xbox systems, but on PS4 the game is a mess, (notably after the level increase to 65 update), normal difficulty became HELL difficulty, and getting ridiculously blown up over and over, in the most cheapest way, is not anyone's idea of fun, or not mine at least. There's something, I can only call bug in the PS4 version, that all of a sudden enemies become a damage sponge, and deal a ridiculous amount of damage, pulverizing a whole team instantly, leading people to leave TFOs, and I don't blame them as it annoy the hell out of me too, it used to be more noticeable during the weekends, but it's becoming more and more frequent.

So instead of punishing people for playing the game, how about fix the problem? Starting by making at the very least normal difficulty playable, and make targeting works properly, that would be a start.
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    As I said in another thread: sorry but I disagree.
    Usually people are scared about ground missions, this is because to get proficient on ground require a bit longer time.
    The random TFO will push every players to explore ground missions. It will push people to try ground over and over, at some point, in average, the players will become better.

No. No it won't. I queue for TFOs and - when a ground map comes up in the rotation I alt-f4 out. I'm sure many do. You can't force people to play content they don't want to play.

• swiftlippinswiftlippin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    No. No it won't. I queue for TFOs and - when a ground map comes up in the rotation I alt-f4 out. I'm sure many do. You can't force people to play content they don't want to play.

It's not forcing you to play it, you queued up for random, and you got random. If you don't like ground, don't hit random, it's that simple. Don't ruin it for other players because you feel like being selfish. In fact several fleet members told me today that's mainly why they don't like getting random ground, not because they're too hard or not fun, but because players like you quit. While yes, they can't force you to play content you don't want to play, they can certainly ban you for what amounts to griefing.

Anyway, on topic... yes there should be a mechanic that automatically switches you from 2 space specs and 2 ground specs whenever you switch between space and ground maps, because as it stands it pushes you to play a similar ship setup and ground setup if you want to make full use of your primary and secondary spec in random TFO. If you play entirely different specwise in space and ground, you're SOL. It makes no sense that we spend millions of experience points on specs and don't get to use them because we either forgot to switch or we don't know what were getting. Its like saying your character forgot how to be a commando because they spend most of their time in space, they might as well not put on armor or grab their weapon, and just go into a warzone in their space pajamas! I'm up for anything, but since 90% of random TFOs are in space, there's no reason to switch out of space spec unless I feel like doing elite ground for salvaged tech (because even fewer queue for elite space). Also, if everyone on a random ground TFO were actually specced for ground, they would probably go much smoother and thus be more enjoyable.

I do like the random TFO system, it certainly has brought more play variety than the same 5 things everyone would join before, and queue times are shorter, but it also created this spec problem.
  • niuchacz#7208 niuchacz Member Posts: 13 New User
    I personally love the ground missions and every time I roll one I smile :).
    Simply because they are longer than any space missions, and that means I stay with other people not with loading screens.

To compare, space Borg invasion mission which lasts 2-3 minutes, no team play needed and we get 35 marks then we realod and repeat, and ground Borg when we must cooperate with other players to win to get to other side of the abyss.
    And even that I'm a fresh newbie player with a single character witout any full set yet, I'm slowly earning reputation and crafting and already got some useful stuff like the sniper rifle for Borg, which is my secondary weapon (primary is Nukara rifle). Even if I had an extra time to respec, I wouldn't know how to do it and to what gears. I have only one spec for all the ground situations.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

It's not forcing you to play it, you queued up for random, and you got random. If you don't like ground, don't hit random, it's that simple. Don't ruin it for other players because you feel like being selfish. In fact several fleet members told me today that's mainly why they don't like getting random ground, not because they're too hard or not fun, but because players like you quit. While yes, they can't force you to play content you don't want to play, they can certainly ban you for what amounts to griefing.
    Right. I would personally start by banning quitters out of the RTFOs for 24 hours, account-wide.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Right. I would personally start by banning quitters out of the RTFOs for 24 hours, account-wide.

Oh please... sometimes you need to quit. if your group doesnt have the dps then there is no way to finish. Lukari Elite Mark space ques are a good example. There is no timer count down to insta finish... so if you can't hack it... you just need to quit.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    They need an IQ option too where it excludes ground omega tfo's and the one with the gorn. Its not that I cannot do them it is the fact a lockbox driven system that makes them lots of money brings in every possible person that cannot understand to hit "F" all at once or if there are two exits there are two gates. So we need a natural selection option to not have to carry a whole team or either extremely high bonuses for carrying all that dead weight. Especially if I see infected or cure ground I just close the client no sense in dealing with these horrible players.
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    They need an IQ option too where it excludes ground omega tfo's and the one with the gorn. Its not that I cannot do them it is the fact a lockbox driven system that makes them lots of money brings in every possible person that cannot understand to hit "F" all at once or if there are two exits there are two gates. So we need a natural selection option to not have to carry a whole team or either extremely high bonuses for carrying all that dead weight. Especially if I see infected or cure ground I just close the client no sense in dealing with these horrible players.

I totally understand the pain. I usually run elite ground and when I found myself in Miner Instability, Kithomer ground or infected ground with a random TFO team, I cry. But I believe that over time the overall level will increase. People that choose the random TFO will start to think about how to improve their gameplay on ground missions. It just requires some time. What would really help would be to have the chance to change specs inside the mission, maybe during the 30 initial seconds.
    On the other side, as many others said if you don't want to end up in these missions just queue with the normal TFO system.