test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make Boarding Partys Fun!

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
You know the Engineering Ability? I'm not talking about that.

What I'm talking about is the ability, once an enemy's shield is down, to board and capture the vessel.

Go to Engineering and take over the drives.

Beam onto the bridge and hold the command crew hostage.

Cause mayhem on the Crew Decks drink their brews in their crew lounge fridge, and steal a shuttlecraft.

Get killed while boarding and you reappear on your own ship, and the opportunity to capture that prize is lost.

Why would you want to do these things instead of just turning an NPC ship into a cloud of debris? Aside from the lulz, you could get Rewardz!

Marks appropriate to the faction which owns the ship.

Dilithium and EC for bringing the intact vessel home to display its broken hull... err, to allow the scientists to study the alien technology, yeah.

The opportunity to add that ship's card to your Admiralty fleet. (You still have to buy the card, the capture just unlocks it.)

Finally, for those NPC ships which are not available as a PC ship, the opportunity to fly one. I would only extend this to NPC ships which cannot be gotten any other way. There would be a purchase price, (fitting out fee,) to make the ship playable.

So why do this at all? Aside from the fun, that is? It gives Cryptic a reason to build ship interiors, and gives players a use for theirs. Boarding Party Training Exercises could take place either as PvP or as coop making use of the player's ship interiors. It could come out as part of an expansion and grow from there.

I think it would be fun. Plus, Boarding Party Accolades would be sweet.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    brian334 wrote: »
    Finally, for those NPC ships which are not available as a PC ship, the opportunity to fly one. I would only extend this to NPC ships which cannot be gotten any other way. There would be a purchase price, (fitting out fee,) to make the ship playable.

So... replace lockbox/Lobi and event ships with this? Uh... no. Besides this would eventually lead to requests to allow us to capture anything in game, including Borg ships and other things that are ridiculous.

While I do like the idea of a boarding action scenario... I don't think this would be the best approach.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    But I want to capture a Borg Unimatrix....or better yet a Voth city ship!

I have to agree with Rattler...it would either get insane or lead to a lot of complaining, likely both.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    If your five-man boarding party can deal with half-a million Voth and capture the city ship, then you should have it!

It will only require 2.4 years of constant play with no time off for sleeping, eating, or doing other biologically necessary things. Even a Cube would require about 60 hours of constant killing to capture. But sphere or probe? The realm of doable. Maybe even a diamond if you're part of a team.

Any ship which is available by other means is not included. Only NPC ships already in game which are not available by other means could be acquired by the player. Otherwise, you unlock an admiralty card which you still have to purchase. I'd even go so far as to say it's a character, not an account, unlock.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Cute idea for someone to make in the foundry :3
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    It will only require 2.4 years of constant play with no time off for sleeping, eating, or doing other biologically necessary things. Even a Cube would require about 60 hours of constant killing to capture. But sphere or probe? The realm of doable. Maybe even a diamond if you're part of a team.

i don't think you realize just how fast decently-kitted ground players can murder entire maps of NPCs, never mind well-kitted ones​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    So, you're looking to put the "party" into "boarding party"?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    You can take a voth city ship on if you had a few nukes with you.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I always thought the Demolition Teams for the Commando Specialization was sorely misused and not thought well unlock. I would have preferred them to have went with Capture and Commandeer said vessel. Which would entail dropping a shield facing of the enemy ship, and being close range to beam over Marines/MACO/whatever groups vs the basic Boarding parties ( let alone the Demolition Teams trait, which could have been attached to specific Boff Powers instead, such as the Boarding Party Shuttle, Attack Pattern Delta, Tractor Beam, and/or Jam Sensors) Basically we can turn Demolition Teams into a passive that is active when slotted, but make the Capture and Commandeer the click power for a Full Commando Specialization...

Look Devs^ Just gave you another way to add content/ability there. It gets to keep Demolition Teams as the general purpose Starship Trait, and we get the clicky Capture and Commandeer when a Primary Specialization, Win-Win for everyone involved. Could have the 3rd Tier Focus on Space, like delayed secondary Mine deployment on Mine or Torpedo launch, Buccaneer some supplies from the enemy ship(like chance of Dil, GPL, Batteries, Crafting Materials), Resistance to boarding parties with subsystem guards on station, chance on Boarding party beamed/shuttled in to send back an explosive rebuke, or computer virus(think Viral Matrix) by way of captured transporter codes/shuttle from infiltrators. Possible of the final T4 tree clicky power could have cooldown of transporter grid battery charge shortened, Emergency Holographic Assault Force to speed up capture.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Boarding parties are simply viral matrix you can shoot down. A bit more functionality would be a nice thing to have, interactive boarding would be too inflexible I'm afraid as every map had to be built manually.

However I always liked the idea of capturing enemy vessels via BP either forcing them to surrender (gaining Diplo xp) or emptying their cargo bays (marauder xp) or in some cases take temporary command of it (enemy becomes ally for a brief period) until the BPs are either pushed back or the ship self destructs. The meagre disables current BPs offer became useless due to NPCs being immune to it or dead too soon.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

i don't think you realize just how fast decently-kitted ground players can murder entire maps of NPCs, never mind well-kitted ones​​

Okay, 11.7 days, assuming a million inhabitants of a Voth City Ship with an average of one kill per second and no delays to unlock doors, disable force fields, disarm traps...

jonsills wrote: »
    See the Crew Section Boarding Party. Also: stock Ur Brews in your Crew Lounge. Boarding Partys are thirsty work!

monodoso wrote: »
    You can take a voth city ship on if you had a few nukes with you.

That's how we do it now. It just makes them explode.

kaggert27 wrote: »
    I always thought the Demolition Teams for the Commando Specialization was sorely misused and not thought well unlock. I would have preferred them to have went with Capture and Commandeer said vessel. Which would entail dropping a shield facing of the enemy ship, and being close range to beam over Marines/MACO/whatever groups vs the basic Boarding parties ( let alone the Demolition Teams trait, which could have been attached to specific Boff Powers instead, such as the Boarding Party Shuttle, Attack Pattern Delta, Tractor Beam, and/or Jam Sensors) Basically we can turn Demolition Teams into a passive that is active when slotted, but make the Capture and Commandeer the click power for a Full Commando Specialization...

Look Devs^ Just gave you another way to add content/ability there. It gets to keep Demolition Teams as the general purpose Starship Trait, and we get the clicky Capture and Commandeer when a Primary Specialization, Win-Win for everyone involved. Could have the 3rd Tier Focus on Space, like delayed secondary Mine deployment on Mine or Torpedo launch, Buccaneer some supplies from the enemy ship(like chance of Dil, GPL, Batteries, Crafting Materials), Resistance to boarding parties with subsystem guards on station, chance on Boarding party beamed/shuttled in to send back an explosive rebuke, or computer virus(think Viral Matrix) by way of captured transporter codes/shuttle from infiltrators. Possible of the final T4 tree clicky power could have cooldown of transporter grid battery charge shortened, Emergency Holographic Assault Force to speed up capture.

I like this entirely! Capture the Bridge, commandeer the ship. Capture Engineering, disable the ship. Capture the Crew Decks, steal their goodies.

patrickngo wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

that requires too many adult beverages, loud music, and strippers.

An opportunity for Cryptic to sell more consumables! HolOrions, Ur Brews, and Classical Rap Tracks, all for en, Dil, and EC, depending on their quality/rarity.

angrytarg wrote: »
    Boarding parties are simply viral matrix you can shoot down. A bit more functionality would be a nice thing to have, interactive boarding would be too inflexible I'm afraid as every map had to be built manually.

However I always liked the idea of capturing enemy vessels via BP either forcing them to surrender (gaining Diplo xp) or emptying their cargo bays (marauder xp) or in some cases take temporary command of it (enemy becomes ally for a brief period) until the BPs are either pushed back or the ship self destructs. The meagre disables current BPs offer became useless due to NPCs being immune to it or dead too soon.

More interior maps and a use for them is a good thing! And that was what sparked this idea. Cryptic did interiors, then abandoned them after a token use or two. Make them useful for something, and you have a reason for Cryptic to build more and more diverse bridges and interiors. Then sell them in the C-store.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    What I would prefer is if the Boarding Party skill had a chance to cause small NPC ships to fight with you for a short amount of time. Otherwise, it doesn't really make the skill useful in my opinion.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    edited December 2018
    razar2380 wrote: »
    What I would prefer is if the Boarding Party skill had a chance to cause small NPC ships to fight with you for a short amount of time. Otherwise, it doesn't really make the skill useful in my opinion.

Razar.

I agree Barding Party Skill is about as wasted as a hippie at a Greatful Dead concert, but that's not what this topic is about. I wouldn't mind seeing it do anything useful, as opposed to what it does now, but there you go.

In my Boarding Action idea the NPCs might initiate a Boarding Action against your ship! Then you have to go wherever they are and repel them. Imagine the rage! "I missed all the objectives because there were Klingons in my Jefferies' Tubes!"

I would propose this as an alternate to explode and respawn. Not every time, but often enough to make you nervous.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    In my Boarding Action idea the NPCs might initiate a Boarding Action against your ship! Then you have to go wherever they are and repel them. Imagine the rage! "I missed all the objectives because there were Klingons in my Jefferies' Tubes!"

I would propose this as an alternate to explode and respawn. Not every time, but often enough to make you nervous.

Well... get ready to have that happen ALL THE TIME when fighting the Borg. They don't need shuttles to board your ship. They just beam right through your shields.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Would "Boarding Parties" be the ground game equivalent to "Patrols" in space game?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Would "Boarding Parties" be the ground game equivalent to "Patrols" in space game?

Interesting thought there!

I've seen many Trek episodes where enemies boarded and the crew had to repel them, so it's canon, however it might be implemented.
    edited January 2019

Interesting thought there!

I've seen many Trek episodes where enemies boarded and the crew had to repel them, so it's canon, however it might be implemented.

Half the stories in the TV show (at least the ones I got to watch, so far) were about aliens coming onto or taking over or infecting the ship or crew or a colony. Or something like that. And ship interior would be a "ground map".

Though I can see a theme in your idea, as with a lot of other player's ideas...has much to do with REWARDS from doing such endeavors. I think Cryptic needs to be less tight fisted with loot. Everything unique shouldn't have to be scrounged for by upgrades and crafting and events. Most of that is clicky game things....or collecting tokens then doing a clicky thing.

Why can't this stuff be directly from doing video game things?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    ...Though I can see a theme in your idea, as with a lot of other player's ideas...has much to do with REWARDS from doing such endeavors. I think Cryptic needs to be less tight fisted with loot. Everything unique shouldn't have to be scrounged for by upgrades and crafting and events. Most of that is clicky game things....or collecting tokens then doing a clicky thing.

Why can't this stuff be directly from doing video game things?

Actually, the idea was motivated by the idea of making ship interiors useful for something. Useful enough that the Devs have a reason to go back and actually create interiors that fit the ships, and that reflect the style. They could sell them for all I care, but right now the only reason to use the ship interior is... well, I can't think of one.
    Actually, the idea was motivated by the idea of making ship interiors useful for something. Useful enough that the Devs have a reason to go back and actually create interiors that fit the ships, and that reflect the style. They could sell them for all I care, but right now the only reason to use the ship interior is... well, I can't think of one.

Players use it for setting the stage for role playing. I am sure for fleet functions, too.

I am not sure you can even PvP in the ship interiors at all? Any more? I thought at one time you could invite folks from the "opposing faction" to your ship interior and have a battle ensue on board.

Or maybe I am misremembering some trolling going on with newbies getting invites to a ship interior and being attacked. Which sound about par for the course, here on STO.

This discussion has been closed.