test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let us queue previous Winter ship unlocks in the future

I have been a huge fan of the Winter Wonderland event since its inception and have tried to do it every single year. I even did the races on each of my alts before they were changed to account-wide unlocks. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Chel Boalg warship a couple years back and have never stopped regretting it (work schedule had me working hectic hours, we had a newborn in our newly-purchased house, etc; not enough hours in the day kind of situation).

I know I am not the only one to miss out on the occasional event. Work schedules, military deployments, holiday travel... there's any number of reasons someone might miss out on the holiday unlocks. In the early years of Q's Winter Wonderland, we had the option to queue up the previous year's ship unlock, as well, so there's historic precedent for it. By continuing the account-wide unlock method but giving us the option to do it on an alt if we so choose, you'll make it so players who have missed events still have the chance at a holiday ship without having to rely on the character-bound Phoenix Pack ship token (which, let's be honest, will still sell like hotcakes with or without the holiday ships as an option). This will also let newer players pursue these ships and make the game more approachable for newer players.

Please, let us queue up old ship unlocks for holiday events.

Comments

• ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Queuing up old event ships would make Phoenix Epics tokens pretty much obsolete.

A better idea would be to increase the drop rate of Epic tokens as right now the chances of getting 1 are so low that if you buried one you'd end up digging a hole from 1 end of the planet and coming out the other.

Also the Epic tokens because of the horrific drop rate should also allow any ship claimed be an account unlock. This is the most unfair and disgusting part of the token in my opinion.

Thankfully other than the tier 5 Breen and Luxury Cruiser which I didn't unlock as I didn't want them I got all the others.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Phoenix box Epic tokens are obsolete by the fact that people who need them can never find them. And the people who have them, do not use them. Or need them.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    I have been a huge fan of the Winter Wonderland event since its inception and have tried to do it every single year. I even did the races on each of my alts before they were changed to account-wide unlocks. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Chel Boalg warship a couple years back and have never stopped regretting it (work schedule had me working hectic hours, we had a newborn in our newly-purchased house, etc; not enough hours in the day kind of situation).

I know I am not the only one to miss out on the occasional event. Work schedules, military deployments, holiday travel... there's any number of reasons someone might miss out on the holiday unlocks. In the early years of Q's Winter Wonderland, we had the option to queue up the previous year's ship unlock, as well, so there's historic precedent for it. By continuing the account-wide unlock method but giving us the option to do it on an alt if we so choose, you'll make it so players who have missed events still have the chance at a holiday ship without having to rely on the character-bound Phoenix Pack ship token (which, let's be honest, will still sell like hotcakes with or without the holiday ships as an option). This will also let newer players pursue these ships and make the game more approachable for newer players.

Please, let us queue up old ship unlocks for holiday events.

I agree with this. It would be a great improvement to the game. It would even let some that were able to get the Breen cruiser, but not the Breen raider be able to get that, so they can have the raider as a pet to launch.

Though, if they did this, then they would have to do the same for the anniversary event, summer event, and all the others that they gave ships away on.

However, I am surprised that they didn't keep the Obilisk carrier a free ship to any new toon that plays the missions where you got it. It wasn't the best carrier, and left a lot to be desired. But it did make sense, because you did steal it, at the end of the mission.

I really hope that they do this. I have a friend that just started playing the game, and he loves it. But the only T6 ship he will have is the one from the winter event, and possibly the one from the anniversary event (if they do one then). When it comes to endgame, he will not have nearly as many ship traits by level 65. And those traits can help a lot in queues.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Why not? As long as you have to at least meet the original requirement somehow, what's the harm? They might have to put on some form of limitation just to stop someone from suddenly getting 6 ships in one event. The phoenix token system needs either A) a token-event ticket trade in system (each token is worth increasing value so that an epic would give 100% and an uncommon 4-5% B) a trade-up system where X tokens can be traded for a higher-rank token
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Completely agreed with this idea.

Making stuff not accessible just because you can, is not my idea of fun. It's not like people would get them for free, they'd still have to do the race - so do anything that other players had to do for it.

I wouldn't even mind if they don't add the Admiralty cards (cause I can understand why they don't want to give easy access to +10 of those very good cards) or make them single character unlocks.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Queuing up old event ships would make Phoenix Epics tokens pretty much obsolete.

A better idea would be to increase the drop rate of Epic tokens as right now the chances of getting 1 are so low that if you buried one you'd end up digging a hole from 1 end of the planet and coming out the other.

Also the Epic tokens because of the horrific drop rate should also allow any ship claimed be an account unlock. This is the most unfair and disgusting part of the token in my opinion.

Thankfully other than the tier 5 Breen and Luxury Cruiser which I didn't unlock as I didn't want them I got all the others.

Well, personally I think that most people open Phoenix packs for upgrade tokens and other event stuff. I mainly bought the Tanius and the Voth fangs, and sometimes small things such as tribbles or emotes.

As long as they keep such things single-character unlocks, there will always be demand for Phoenix boxes, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Especially if we keep in mind that there are so many events each year, and that people will likely keep creating new characters for a while.

Though I agree of course that the drop rate for epic tokens is horrible. I've only had one ultra rare token out of hundreds of boxes I must have opened by now (and that was on my old PC account, before my computer broke down :s ).
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    That's the way event ships were originally run. Cryptic changed it due to their desire that those ships be exclusive to those who were there at the time of the event. Later we were given the Phoenix Box to give players a chance at those same ships, but without the account unlock, which was kept for those who ran the event. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it's the one we got, and there are no plans to change it. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.