test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground & Pound or Leave???

powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
I been hitting a lot of Randoms

The Long Grounds are just totally sucking-even w a good crew..you must go through 500,000 enemy hit points!

this isn't space..we don't have 30k dps on the ground , STO

Then the reward is a cheesy advanced random box often!

****************************************************************************************************
Worse> touch any object or wall >you freeze in lag >GROUND REALLY STINKS BECAUSE OF THAT
*****************************************************************************************************

I am prb gonna start leaving those grounds-yes we can without penalty if you know how

Sorry random players-it just is not worth the time and effort

Eventually they will separate ground and space random-we need to preset our specializations ,sto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forcing us to go ground with space specializations or vise versa is Bull

So just swap characters and say good bye to those long ground randoms in one click.

Maybe the Powers to be will listen to reason???? At least give us an option at start for specialization picks in random.. still, ground can never be as near as fun as space the way characters stop in lag... touch 1 railing and the enemy gets 6 free shots on you
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I have 1 suggestion to make players want to play ground> a min reward scaling... the lower rewards should not be an option for a 20-30+ min mission >very rare or better please
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    20-30 mins for a ground queue? as far as i remember all of them are done waaaaay faster.

and like @coldnapalm said, just queue for the mission you want. as long as its qualified for the random tfo system you will get additional players from the rtfo system joining you there. you just dont get the additional reward for yourself ;)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    powskier wrote: »
    I been hitting a lot of Randoms

The Long Grounds are just totally sucking-even w a good crew..you must go through 500,000 enemy hit points!

this isn't space..we don't have 30k dps on the ground , STO

Then the reward is a cheesy advanced random box often!

****************************************************************************************************
    Worse> touch any object or wall >you freeze in lag >GROUND REALLY STINKS BECAUSE OF THAT
    *****************************************************************************************************

I am prb gonna start leaving those grounds-yes we can without penalty if you know how

Sorry random players-it just is not worth the time and effort

Eventually they will separate ground and space random-we need to preset our specializations ,sto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forcing us to go ground with space specializations or vise versa is Bull

So just swap characters and say good bye to those long ground randoms in one click.

Maybe the Powers to be will listen to reason???? At least give us an option at start for specialization picks in random.. still, ground can never be as near as fun as space the way characters stop in lag... touch 1 railing and the enemy gets 6 free shots on you

Ridiculous.

The enemies with 500,000 hit points.. don't exist. Nothing in ground combat is even close to that hard to kill. Maybe you need to revise your ground build a bit? If you're having problem killing things you have a choice.. you get to pick how you proceed. You either look into how to do better and make it a goal to improve your build, or you complain and quit. So far, you have taken the latter option, I urge you to consider the other option. People here will gladly help you.

Touch any object or wall and freeze with lag - This is a new one. Not only have I never had that happen, I have never even heard of anyone else having this issue. Could be a computer or network issue, but I assure you that it's definitely not a normal occurrence.

The last thing is that people keep talking about being able to 'spec for ground.' Someone tell me exactly what this means..

Traits are already separated for ground and space.
    Duty Officers are already separated for ground and space.
    You can swap weapons or armor at the start of a mission, so if you're fighting borg, you can swap to an Anti Borg Weapon.

The only thing you can't swap currently is your Captain Specialization. Now, I get it.. yes.. it would be nice if I could swap out something like Pilot for Commando since Pilot does absolutely nothing on the ground. But this is hardly necessary.. especially for only doing Advanced Difficulty. On ground elites.. sure, it's helpful.. but in no way is this a must for Advanced Grounds. It would be nice, but not a game breaker.

Ultimately, it's on you man. If you want to just bail on your team and quit then I can't stop you. If however you want to actually address your issue and strive to get better then help is available if you want it. These ground maps are not hard, if you're having a particular difficulty with a certain map.. let us know and we can help.

If your Random Group is bad, then be better. Carry them to victory.. you can do it. It might take some work and effort to learn, but this isn't hard stuff man.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I been reading a bit of the Wiki done by the STO Ground folks. I am not sure if it is helping me at all, since I don't do a lot of content of any difficulty.... but it is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/STOGround/wiki/index
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    What part of your build overlaps between space and ground?

Its not the ground traits, the ground doffs, ground skill tree or gear so the only things that comes to mind are a handful of rep clickies and the specializations which don't really impact much in a pug setting such as the randomiser.

Unless you're a very blinkered min-maxxer in which case randoms will never be a good option for you anyway.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    the puzzley borg ones will be impossible to pug today. there's no way you will get people to do the required steps. but all the newer missions should be fine. the only ground i ever got was the miner instability one.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    felisean wrote: »
    20-30 mins for a ground queue? as far as i remember all of them are done waaaaay faster.

and like @coldnapalm said, just queue for the mission you want. as long as its qualified for the random tfo system you will get additional players from the rtfo system joining you there. you just dont get the additional reward for yourself ;)
    When's the last time you fought Armek? Did that one earlier this week and it took around 40 minutes. BUT, that's because it didn't go smoothly and we missed the stupid dead Klingons you have to scan and had to go back for them later.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    the puzzley borg ones will be impossible to pug today. there's no way you will get people to do the required steps. but all the newer missions should be fine. the only ground i ever got was the miner instability one.

Got into one of those a few weeks ago. Thank God someone knew how to do it! Platforms and turning off borg terminals in the right order. You'd never make that without someone knowing what to do.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    felisean wrote: »

When's the last time you fought Armek? Did that one earlier this week and it took around 40 minutes. BUT, that's because it didn't go smoothly and we missed the stupid dead Klingons you have to scan and had to go back for them later.
    remember when that was optional? I've been in two groups where we missed one-the second time because I came up the wrong side of the valley and didn't check on my own. (too busy freeing prisoners-and that is my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!)
    That part only added a few minutes. And it was because someone was confused as to whether it was optional. It took us well over 20 minutes just to clear all the other junk. Did I mention it was advanced? Yeah...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Ground missions are ok I like the old borg runs, bug hunt, the Romulan station one. Hardest thing about ground is the PvP element of it. I.E Clueless idiots who don't listen, have any idea of what to do and work against you like patrickngo's engineer above. IGA/KGA are very easy missions until you get those type of players that rush rooms failing the rescue part or try to solo the 3 consoles or in KGA go into the control room and just randomly spam turn off shields.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    ... notably, the Engineer couldn't have been that experienced, he was running what I usually call the "Stock stack" of engineer abilities; combat supply, armor lock, weapons diagnostics, and spatial charge. ...

Ouch. I haven't used combat supply since back in 2012 with the (fixed powers, fixed level) kit-frame combos.

Now with cheap Mk II VR crafting there's no excuse for not having decent VR kits.

My new Engie alts get VR quantum mortar and beam turret as soon as they make it to an account bank. I go back and forth on what else to give them - mine barrier, drone, generators?

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The grounds and especially the old borg grounds are a lot of fun. Heck even recall Colony Invasion being a task when somebody aggros all the bad guys and gets the mugato running around. What a zoo (pun intended). New players are... new. Hopefully they'll get things straight just like older players did after some more runs. I probably made more than a few players wince when new to the game. Now the just don't wince as often.

Edit: just ran Colony. Popped in less than 10 min. Yes I dragged out the big fella. People rinsed off in the fountain afterwards.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I’m not a ground guy either and log into another toon when a ground map comes up. I find the ground maps too long and boring. I felt guilty at first, but now I don’t. Fugg it. Also, a lot of the skill activation graphics are too much. Sometimes I can’t even see what’s going on with all of the graphics spam. Lastly, my women carry guns as big as themselves as if they were made of cosplay foam. It takes away from the immersion for me considering I shoot regularly.

It would be nice if the captain specializations were separated like the traits so one could pick a different specialization for ground.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    ... notably, the Engineer couldn't have been that experienced, he was running what I usually call the "Stock stack" of engineer abilities; combat supply, armor lock, weapons diagnostics, and spatial charge. ...

Ouch. I haven't used combat supply since back in 2012 with the (fixed powers, fixed level) kit-frame combos.

Now with cheap Mk II VR crafting there's no excuse for not having decent VR kits.

My new Engie alts get VR quantum mortar and beam turret as soon as they make it to an account bank. I go back and forth on what else to give them - mine barrier, drone, generators?

I have actually grown to like combat supply on my JH engineer. Had more than a few borg ground queues where those supplies kept the team from dying.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    But it all depends on which route you take for your engineer.
    There is the basic DPS route with Mortar, turret, mines, drones and usually a medical generator
    Next is the support route with force domes, gens and the standard supply of combat supply and turrets.
    Then tank builds with stuff like scarab plating

Less common is the disruption build and it is not an easy build to master, but when mastered it can really be a game changer.

One build i personally like is my stealthy engineer with a flare mortar and romulan operative set.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    most of the engineering kit modules are rather...lackluster - even the best of the bunch; that's why most high-end engineers load up on universal kit modules - like those new fek'lhri ones, as a small example, as one is rather potent​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    most of the engineering kit modules are rather...lackluster - even the best of the bunch; that's why most high-end engineers load up on universal kit modules - like those new fek'lhri ones, as a small example, as one is rather potent​​

Which one?
    Three new Kit Modules will be made available with this year’s Event:

Torment of the Underworld
    Torment the primary target with torturous visions of the darkest underworlds. The illusions and psionic impressions of this are strong enough to also affect allies of the foe unfortunate to be caught in its area of influence. All affected enemies will suffer periodic psionic damage while also having their damage output reduced.

Collective Nightmares
    Enemies affected by the device will be confused, vulnerable and unable to differentiate friend from foe due to cerebral sensory interception. Adding to the sensorial confusion, some humanoid enemies will appear as Fek’Ihri by way of psionic perception inhibitors. This ability only affects living foes, and cannot interfere with electronics or other forms of artificial life.

Ravaging Barrage
    Harass foes in a forward cone with periodic pulses of psionic energy. The strength of these pulses is enough to force foes off their feet, and those knocked prone may find themselves unable to stand for a short period of time.

Haven't had time to get and test these, but first impression is that they're all rather lacking.
    enh, I carry a few spares in inventory so I can change strat any time not in combat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Mortars are a fairly safe bet as they ignore line of sight allowing them to be dropped off out of the way but still in range and using a drone as spotter. They are also able to shoot at those enemies which glitch into walls or other scenery blocking progress.

Whats the cooldown and cast speed like on those fekhiri modules? The fire you get from the gamma mission takes way too long to cast for it to be of any real use. A 3sec cast time for mobs that die in half the time is just a waste of a gear slot.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    @tacticoolfugga#9235 @powskier Could you both stop being TRIBBLE in the game? If you don't want to do the content, stop doing random. No one is forcing you to hit that button. If you do, suck it up and play what you get, and stop being a narcissistic TRIBBLE.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Mortars are a fairly safe bet as they ignore line of sight allowing them to be dropped off out of the way but still in range and using a drone as spotter. They are also able to shoot at those enemies which glitch into walls or other scenery blocking progress.

Whats the cooldown and cast speed like on those fekhiri modules? The fire you get from the gamma mission takes way too long to cast for it to be of any real use. A 3sec cast time for mobs that die in half the time is just a waste of a gear slot.

the fekhiri modules have pretty quick cooldow, no cast time and the animations are short, only the Ravaging Barrage can interfere with normal shooting, and even that is not long about the same as a full auto sweep maybe a little shorter. though none of them are too great for dmg.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
This discussion has been closed.