test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who wants the mission journal to go back to the way it used to be...besides me that is?

renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
edited December 2018 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Seriously. This new mission system is totally messed up. Spectres and Wasteland are out of synch with the story line. They need to be restored to their proper place. And these are just the two I know of. Does anyone else have more suggestions?
Post edited by renata666 on

Comments

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    The Breen arc is probably the one that suffers the most. You can't run the arc until 65 now, and at the end of the arc we wind up on the Preserver homeworld. A homeworld that was destroyed by the Iconians potentially before we are able to play the Breen arc.

Skipping missions is easier now, so I'd like that aspect to stay, but some of the sidetracked arcs indeed are out of sync with the rest of the story. I think at the very least they should have hand-off missions placed in the proper place in the mission tree and allow the player to choose to play the arcs then or not.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    There's a lot of storyline inconsistencies now with the new Mission Journal:
    • Problem: Captain Shon commands the U.S.S. Belfast throughout the Federation storylines until "Sphere of Influence" where it's revealed he is now in command of the U.S.S. Enterprise.
      Solution: Make the "Lost Dominion" storyline have a level 30 minimum requirement or restore the missions to the Cardassian Struggle.
    • Problem: "The Romulan Mystery" refers to events on Nimbus III, but we don't get those missions as Federation character until we are level 65.
      Solution: Restore the "Wasteland" arc to the mission Journal or make the Nimbus III handoff mission have a level 10 requirement.
    • Problem: "Damar Kahn" is not at Starbase 114 anymore, but Admiral Quinn tells us to go there in the spoken mission intro. Also, there are several instances of "Kahn" being misspelled as "Kane".
      Solution: Correct the spelling & get a new spoken line for the mission intro.
    • Problem: "Develop Countermeasures to Devidian Attacks" duty officer missions appear before the player even encounters the Devidians.
      Solution: Restore the "Spectres" storyline to the Klingon War arc, or make the handoff mission available to level 10+ players. Additionally, the mission "Ghost Ship" could be inserted into the story arc.
    • Problem: Miral Paris will reminisce about your previous meeting with her on Regulus IV.
      Solution: Restore "The Kuvah'Magh" to the Klingon War storyline.
      (To be honest, this was a fantastic mission that really shouldn't have been removed. Similarly for the two-part finale to the Klingon War, City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect.
    • Problem: "Temporal Ambassador" is now a high-level mission that rewards a Tier 3 ship (level 20+) that originally fit in much better at the end of the Klingon War story arc. The new position within the overall storyline may provide better consistency with the story, but the mission reward is useless at its' current position.
      Solution: Restore "Temporal Ambassador" to the Klingon War arc.
      Alternatively, change the Tier 3 ship reward to be the Tier 5 version of the ship (which cannot be upgraded to T5-U anyway) but only for the first playthrough - replays give the Tier 3 version.

I'm pretty certain there's more problems with the new Mission Journal than what I've posted here, but it would take a considerable amount of time to piece all of them together.
    The overall storyline of Star Trek Online was tied together very tightly throughout all the missions that were in the Journal prio to the "Age of Discovery" and by removing/reordering them, major plotholes and inconsistencies have been introduced into the game we love so much, that its' quality has suffered as a result.

This 'streamlining' really wasn't necessary to the overall gameplay/storyline and should be reconsidered. It appears to critically undo a major amount of work by previous STO teams to ensure a tightly plotted web of storylines. Shame, really...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Yeah, the entire storline has just been given a big whack. I also highly dislike the removal of all the missions from the Klingon War Arc. I know the excuse, they are going to be upgraded and polished before being put back.

But there was no point in removing them, they could polish them and simply replace the missions with the new ones when ready, content that's deleted and removed from the game in order to be improved has never made a comeback. Just look at exploration clusters...

I really love Star Trek Online, but sometimes the developers make it pretty hard to love...
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I hope they can do something about "Temporal Ambassador" being moved way past the point where Level 20 characters can fly the free T-3 ships: Kamarag and Ambassador.

I had such fun flying that Kamarag.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    The only game ever where the devs would boast about removing content.

The Featured arcs need to be restored to the correct places in chronological order. Not alphabetical order in the available tab!
    Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    So glad to know I'm not alone. Now, if only the devs would listen. I know. I'm hoping against hope.
    edited December 2018
    They are working on it. Just watch and remind them what you are looking for. Be specific.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Usually I don't agree with the "rabble rabble" but I also think that removing all the old missions was unnecessary.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    I've left STO relatively untouched since the release of AoD (blame it on the Foundry being still down, not on the expansion itself), so I don't really mind the revamps, all in all.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    renata666 wrote: »
    Seriously. This new mission system is totally messed up. Spectres and Wasteland are out of synch with the story line. They need to be restored to their proper place. And these are just the two I know of. Does anyone else have more suggestions?

I agree there has been several things removed from the mission list. And not just the klingon arc. But sadly all i can say is don't expect there return ever. The majority of all removed content is ground missions and ground map activity And the way i see that is there is no way presently for the devs to monetize ground. Simply looking at the c store and comparing ground items and outfits vs space ships is a indication of what and where the devs will work on. My only slim hope at this point is that they at least make a pass thru whats left and remove all references to missions heading for the trash heap like many other things have in sto under the guise of improvement.

1175–1225; (noun) Middle English g(u)ise < Old French < Germanic
    meaning of guise not internet slang meaning.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    We most seem to want this, but as it seems - we are too far gone.

Still, I hope the recently discovered bugs will be fixed, eventually. I know the devs try.

Edit after replies:
    In case it wasn't clear, I am, too, fully for the OP suggestion, for many reasons.
    (Just sadly I think it's too late, "the change was done already" and that it won't be undone anymore after this all. Our opinions said here and elsewhere aren't likely to count by those who can decide on such. But yes, the time passes and even now I see no positive aspect beside skipping/any level play-ability of most contents' advantages (which didn't require this radical change) and many negative ones. Overall I'd rather the streamlining wouldn't have been done.)

*feeding the edit monster yet again.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Yes please
  • I would love for it to return but without public outcry or refusing to put money in their pockets I would not hold your breath.
  • camdy#9806 camdy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    well this in not a bug so maybe post this in feedback section
  • trench216#3693 trench216 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    stoodogg wrote: »

Ain't that the truth. I think they just removed all the New Romulus ground missions except for Staging Area without really bothering to tell us.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Not that it matters but you have my vote on restoring the mission system back.
    To be or not to be: B)
    Thank you. :smile:
    Not that it matters but you have my vote on restoring the mission system back.

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I really wished they had not done the mission journal regression or had done it in a way that was a mission journal revamp instead of what we got. I want Nimbus back in my Available tab as a Fed character under Quinn and unlimited Replays since I heard people were having a problem with that in the Available tab. Better yet, I wish the Optional Missions were in the correct chronological order and in a separate tab called Optional Missions or Side Missions instead of in the Available tab. Finally, wish they would fix the glitch with the Accolades Tab. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    I am so close to quitting this game, it isn't funny. Until they mucked up the mission journal, I thought everything worked fairly well. I guess I'm from an older generation that usually goes by the old axiom, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Mission Journal was NOT BROKE. But now that it's been fixed, it is totally FUBAR.

I'm going to finish the Winter Wonderland thing, but I'm not going to be doing anything else, and that means I'm done spending my money on this game until they fix the mission journal system. If the devs can't do that, then I am done... completely.

Sorry. That's just the way I feel.
    May I suggest something I have been looking more closely at? The faction related missions created by the Foundry authors.

I am just starting in with ones that pop up in sector space around Qo'nos. There are tons more on the Fed side.

That might be a way to go. I'll think it over and maybe give it a try.

Thank you.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    May I suggest something I have been looking more closely at? The faction related missions created by the Foundry authors.

I am just starting in with ones that pop up in sector space around Qo'nos. There are tons more on the Fed side.

renata666 wrote: »
    That might be a way to go. I'll think it over and maybe give it a try.

Thank you.

The ones in the pop up windows in Sector space....those have been vetted by other players and got high star ratings on reviews. Although the rating system may be borked, since the Foundry has been down for a while.

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    If they could fix the bugs that doesn't allow for "optional" missions to be played at the correct level (such as Temporal Ambassador) and put back the missions that are permanently awol for reply without explanation (Installation 18 and the Aid New Rom) I could live with it. Probably.
    But right now it's a bugged mess with far more content removed than they claimed were removed and no update whatsoever on whether or not anything will ever be done about it, so I'm joining the "put it back the way it was" team since it appears to be the only way this will ever have a chance of getting fixed.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    If they could fix the bugs that doesn't allow for "optional" missions to be played at the correct level (such as Temporal Ambassador) and put back the missions that are permanently awol for reply without explanation (Installation 18 and the Aid New Rom) I could live with it. Probably.
    But right now it's a bugged mess with far more content removed than they claimed were removed and no update whatsoever on whether or not anything will ever be done about it, so I'm joining the "put it back the way it was" team since it appears to be the only way this will ever have a chance of getting fixed.

I hope it is not too far gone, already.

Well, I don't know what's going on exactly but now the Wasteland missions appear to be back for non-Romulan characters. Not part of the normal timeline but listed under "available." I think replay is still not possible, but that's ok.
    Yeah, it is the REPLAY part...that is the problem.
    Your character can play Nimbus once, it unlocks after the Tutorial and should be in "Available".

Though, I am not tracking that one very closely....as I am more interested in Specters, Breen Invasion and Lost Dominion....because I need those mission to finish my Delta and Temporal Recruit requirements. They got moved to unlock at level 65, and some factions are not seeing them. LOL!

Yeah, that part is stupid. I hope they fix it soon.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I like the streamlined content. Several of the story arcs were tedious and had filler in them.

However, I agree that they ought to re-organize when and how "side quests" are accessed, including skipping missions. As noted, it doesn't make sense to go to the Preserver planet after it's been destroyed (though I certainly wouldn't want the missions to become inaccessible AFTER that occurs like what happens in single player games).

Frankly, I'd like to see an expansion of side quests (like Breen Invasion). I think it would be kind of interesting to have a more "open galaxy" approach where we stumble upon missions as we fly around the galaxy - just like they ostensibly did in the shows themselves.
  • sigil000sigil000 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I hope they can do something about "Temporal Ambassador" being moved way past the point where Level 20 characters can fly the free T-3 ships: Kamarag and Ambassador.

I had such fun flying that Kamarag.

Same.
    stoodogg wrote: »

The Featured arcs need to be restored to the correct places in chronological order. Not alphabetical order in the available tab!

I fully agree on these points.
    I like the streamlined content. Several of the story arcs were tedious and had filler in them.

However, I agree that they ought to re-organize when and how "side quests" are accessed, including skipping missions. As noted, it doesn't make sense to go to the Preserver planet after it's been destroyed (though I certainly wouldn't want the missions to become inaccessible AFTER that occurs like what happens in single player games).

Frankly, I'd like to see an expansion of side quests (like Breen Invasion). I think it would be kind of interesting to have a more "open galaxy" approach where we stumble upon missions as we fly around the galaxy - just like they ostensibly did in the shows themselves.

They kinda did; with Enemy Contacts & System Patrols. Unfortunately it seems most System Patrols are not repeatable, and Enemy Contacts got borked sometime after f2p launched and only get worse with each patch/update.
    Post edited by sigil000 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Sean 'Sigil' Montgomery, U.S.S. K.A.R.R. 2.47 NCC-200000
  • I would also like for it to return back the way it was it was an unnecessary move.