test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    People change at different times in their lives!? Sometimes the change can even be dramatic!?

Urgh mi gods!?!?!!!! Muh cannnnon.

It's like some people can't even handle real life never mind fictional people.
    Melting Spock's brain and having him act "weird and crazy" is not character development. At best, it's an "exciting tweest" on amnesia tropes. If you have designed a brand new character from the ground up, why not just go with a new character?

Oh, I know. Because the writers of Star Trek: Discovery (or CBS) has no faith in their own creation and/or someone wants the "nostalgia bucks".
    khan5000 wrote: »
    But that’s the beauty of prequels. You can do what you want with a character as long as it leads to the end result. Example: if I got tasked with doing a James Bond series before he became an agent, I can really do what I want with the character (with in reason) as long as I know it should lead to him joining the British Navy and ultimately MI-6.
    The problem is that Burnham is going to "make Spock the man we know today", and they botched her redemption arc. She has to redeem herself, and these hacks want to do it through Spock. "Look, guys, she fixed Spock (after we broke him)! She's totally redeemed from murdering T'Kuvma instead of taking him prisoner!". Lazy. Hack. Writers.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    From the trailer it looks like mini-skirts are just coming back in Starfleet Fashion.

There's something they could have retconned instead of melting the Klingon's ears, giving Spock a beard, or putting windows on the Enterprise.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    The Saru mini-sode also tends to make Georgiou and Starfleet look like a bunch of idiots. The writers interpretation of the Prime Directive is cringeworthy at best, disgusting at worst. Most other captains would have found some way to help, even if it was merely chasing off the alien cannibals.

TNG S1/2 Picard would probably have got some popcorn and watched them die to apeas the PD. Archer would probably have killed them all personally if he thought it might help his dog. Janeway would flip between setting the Borg on them and flying past them depending on which schizophrenic writer was in control of her that week.

Bypassing the PD is not a common Starfleet trend and TNG and VGR especially went out of their way to give pats on the back to their leads for slavishly following it to whatever monstrous end the letter of the law allowed.

Kirk and Sisko violated it more often than not because they would rather be morally right than legally right. Picard followed it because Roddenberry was a bit of a loonatic. Janeway followed it more often than not because the writers needed to make a TNG clone. Archer pre-dates it and Lorca was evil.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > From the trailer it looks like mini-skirts are just coming back in Starfleet Fashion.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's something they could have retconned instead of melting the Klingon's ears, giving Spock a beard, or putting windows on the Enterprise.​​

You mean miniskirts and thigh-high ringed socks aren't proper uniforms? They are on MY ship Mister 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    if an organization says something is a proper uniform, and it matches what everyone else in that organization is wearing (allowing for whatever differences may be in place for gender and rank, of course), it's a proper uniform, regardless of what type of clothing article it is or what material it's made out of​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > From the trailer it looks like mini-skirts are just coming back in Starfleet Fashion.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's something they could have retconned instead of melting the Klingon's ears, giving Spock a beard, or putting windows on the Enterprise.

You mean miniskirts and thigh-high ringed socks aren't proper uniforms? They are on MY ship Mister 😜

Until we see a male Starfleet office in one then they're not proper uniforms unlike the Skants. They're just extensions of set design.​​

#TASforSTO

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

I wasn't a fan of ENT or DSCs title sequences (even if Archer's theme had been played over the former instead of... what we got) and I'm still not. I miss the ship po.rn of DS9 and VGR.​​

#TASforSTO

DSC's opening sequence really toys with my emotions.

I absolutely love the score. But I absolutely hate the bland animation of nothingness.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Really enjoyed the episode
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Meh. I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode. Take out all the action and explosions and you're left with an inexistent story. Seriously, that episode did not advance the plot even one bit.

IMO, too many characters suffer from a "deplorable excess of personality", as John Hammond would put it. And Tilly came very close to crossing the line between quirky but charming to plain annoying.
    > @szim said:
    > IMO, too many characters suffer from a "deplorable excess of personality", as John Hammond would put it. And Tilly came very close to crossing the line between quirky but charming to plain annoying.

I haven't seen it yet, but the character was completely ruined for me since she and Wiseman herself seem to be CBS' one and only marketing gag.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    Really enjoyed the episode

Ditto. Mary Wiseman was awesome.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM39FMAhi0

Still the mary sue vibe, and the Discovery seems to be waaaaaaay bigger on the inside.
    Must have had ST5 set workers making that stuff.

And laziness continues, indeed, Samual. :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Still the mary sue vibe,
    I hate how people misuse this word.

Ok....Still hate the Wesley Crusher vibe.

Better? :|
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    The first episode of 1 of season two is way, way, way better then last season. The characters are way more likable, Burnham smiles, and it feels alot more like Star Trek.

There was alot to dislike last season, with a few things I did like such as the mycililia network, but I find the series of mysteries opened up in this episide interesting, the characters are starting to open up, there are more breaks in the tension, Pike feels like a star fleet captain, Tilly really is adorkable, Stamets is alot more likable then he was for the first half of discovery, heart breakingly so.

There are a few characters where I want to know WHAT they are, like Pike's new tactical officer.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    There are a few characters where I want to know WHAT they are, like Pike's new tactical officer.

There is certainly far more cybernetic Starfleet Officers in Discovery than any other series of Star Trek since Discovery has Detmer, the new Transporter chief, and whatever Airiam and the Daft Punk crew member from the Shenzhou is.

According to Memory Alpha, she is a Barzan Engineer. The Barzans were the race that had an unstable wormhole in The Price episode from TNG. It is the wormhole that sent Ferengi to the Delta Quadrant and Voyager encountered them in the False Profits episode. The weird contraption on her face is apparently a breathing device due to their world having a toxic atmosphere.

350?cb=20190119023056&path-prefix=en292?cb=20161124182248&path-prefix=en
    Pike finding that fortune in the ready room made me go 😳
    Your pain runs deep.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    I would of liked it if they went for a uniform overhaul too. Abandoning the Disco uniform in favor of the more recognisable gold red and blue. That was the only thing that didn't sit well for me (personal opinion only) seeing Pike in the Disco uniform .... Nah
    edited January 2019
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is certainly far more cybernetic Starfleet Officers in Discovery than any other series of Star Trek since Discovery has Detmer, the new Transporter chief, and whatever Airiam and the Daft Punk crew member from the Shenzhou is.
    As I recall the Daft Punk helmet is described as a tactical helmet, and isn't a cybernetic augmentation. Its just a helmet.

The only way that helmet makes any sense is as part of an EV suit. Either the standard atmosphere is toxic to their race or they are toxic to almost everyone else. As an advanced version of a VR helmet, it is an extremely lousy design. This is why starting a war in the first episode is a mistake. A bunch of characters don't get any character development. There is no character development for any minor character on Discovery. We have absolutely no idea if Airiam is an android or a cyborg.
    eazzie wrote: »
    I would of liked it if they went for a uniform overhaul too. Abandoning the Disco uniform in favor of the more recognisable gold red and blue. That was the only thing that didn't sit well for me (personal opinion only) seeing Pike in the Disco uniform .... Nah

I assume it is a show of solidarity. However, everyone should get out of those Discovery uniforms ASAP. It is not like there is a war going on to prevent Starfleet from implementing a uniform overhaul.
    We have absolutely no idea if Airiam is an android or a cyborg.
    We have been explicitly told that Airiam is an augmented human/augmented alien. Making her a cyborg, not an android.

If it is not mentioned on the show, then it is not canon. After all, not everyone listens to every single interview put out by the creators of a TV show.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    An episode entirely about exploration!

Pike was pretty good, I am looking forward to seeing more of him.
    Not so keen on the landing pod sequence - it looked great, but I wasn't really excited by it.
    We have been explicitly told that Airiam is an augmented human/augmented alien. Making her a cyborg, not an android.

After all, not everyone listens to every single interview put out by the creators of a TV show.
    That is not really the reason why it's not canon yet. AFter all ,not everyone watches every episode of the TV shows, either, and yet they are canon. ;) [/Nitpick]

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019

If it is not mentioned on the show, then it is not canon.

Great, I'll make a note of that next time someone tries to complain about visuals conveying meaning at odds one's assumptions RE. setting and character. You hear that folks, inconsistencies with the Klingons and Enterprise (in line with retranslating visuals styles) are officially off limits because at no point was any of that mentioned to be wholly immutable over even immediate timescales (hey, you never know what an alien race might get up to every few decades. Changing their cranial phenotype might just be how they denote changing monetary policy regulations. It wasn't mentioned otherwise! Ergo, any interpretation [however inconsistent with the established universe, assumed rules, and plausible extrapolations of story lines that might be. PS. Data was first] is equally valid.)

That is...unless the literal presentation of the show can function to build character and backstory, in which case having clarification from the creators about what they intended to represent in those visuals (ie. that Airiam's a cyborg) does represent a literal statement of canon (ie. a valid interpretation of her character supported by those who make the show.) Writers may choose to interpret differently later, but that's true irrespective of whether there was a literal statement in the episode or not (see. Klingons joining the Federation in early TNG. That was mentioned.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
This discussion has been closed.