test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Winter Tips and Tricks Thread

2»

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    ravin wrote: »
    Yay, another year, and another thread full of bad advice on how to complete the race. It's simple, hold down both mouse buttons, and hit shift when the race starts. Turn in the opposite direction to slow your momentum, also cut into the snowbanks to slow you down. No need to let up, jump, or perform a tactical somersault.

A lot of people have their own way of doing the race. There is no one way to run it. Me, I mostly drift, with the occasional jump-stop when I don't time the turn just right. And I run in shooter mode.

Nothing wrong with people giving their tactics for others to try, certainly no reason to disrespect the OP and others who are giving advice, trying to help others.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    One word.................. RUN! Oh and slide. And then change direction and repeat.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    One word.................. RUN! Oh and slide. And then change direction and repeat.

IOW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIiylvLdLc
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Looks like they added a new "glitch" to the start of the race, not a long enough delay between players being "moved" to the track, just spawned on track as the player ahead of me was coming to the end of their countdown, and the worst part was they weren't very good on ice, I got past them without getting in their way but boy were they all over the place, not sure but I think my NPC may have put them off as their NPC vanished just as I went past it, a good 20 odd seconds after I past the player.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    That's not good. The timing is not coordinated very well, any more, at the start of the race.

I noticed that I get "rooted" longer than necessary and at times watch the NPC start without me. :(
    I wonder if it has to do with the opponent....I was racing that Skinny Breen when that happened.

I still end the race several curves beyond the NPC....but still...
    That has to be throwing a lot of new players off, too.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    LOL! This was totally cracking me up this morning....it is Fast and Flurrious!!!

https://youtu.be/0aLfgO_OxHE

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited December 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    LOL! This was totally cracking me up this morning....it is Fast and Flurrious!!!

https://youtu.be/0aLfgO_OxHE
    Needs a bit of music to go with it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Yet to understand people's issues with finishing the race and all the uber leet strategies. All you have to do is jog.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Yet to understand people's issues with finishing the race and all the uber leet strategies. All you have to do is jog.

Its on ice, so you're slipping around, and its a race, which most rookie players will take as run the whole course as fast as possible. Also not all of the opponents are slow enough to just job the whole way.

We're sharing our knowledge in hopes of helping others.
    Before, we'd get swamped with threads saying that its too hard, when it really isn't. So now every year we share tips and tricks for not just the race, but any of the events in Q's Winter Wonderland. And now we will also share information on the gear we can pick up as well.

Knowledge is Power after all. You may find it that easy, but someone else might not.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Its on ice, so you're slipping around, and its a race, which most rookie players will take as run the whole course as fast as possible. Also not all of the opponents are slow enough to just job the whole way.

We're sharing our knowledge in hopes of helping others.
    Before, we'd get swamped with threads saying that its too hard, when it really isn't. So now every year we share tips and tricks for not just the race, but any of the events in Q's Winter Wonderland. And now we will also share information on the gear we can pick up as well.

Knowledge is Power after all. You may find it that easy, but someone else might not.

Thanks for the reply and I agree. I'll take your word that some of the NPC's are faster than others, I just want people to understand that finishing the race as simply and reliably as possible is different from getting there as fast as you can. Perhaps sprinting the last stretch is occasionally necessary but I haven't noticed the need even for that.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This might require a little bit of skill (having years and years of experience at this certainly helps), but you can "bunny hop" the whole race, never sliding and if you know which corners to cut you can do it in under a minute. It is really not that difficult to do, but you have to have some understanding of STOs controls and 'physics'.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Personally I use short spurts of sprint at certain points and jog most of the time, it also helps to know that you don't have to stay at middle of path and what is considered to be "on the course" can be very generous at some points (at least on PC).

Also if you time it right you can drop from a sprint to a jog without loosing too much time/speed by lifting your finger from the run button, though timing is critical here, too fast or too slow and it causes your character to stumble and stop in place.

That said the key to the PvE race is to not panic, the NPCs are actually quite forgiving and will always follow the exact centre line of the race course and never speed up, so if you cut corners and use sprint tactically you have more then enough distance to win the race.
    Video on the 2018 WW kit modules : https://youtu.be/vIn3n4Hvk84

Video on the 2018 WW kit modules : https://youtu.be/vIn3n4Hvk84

Well, based on the vid - Torment of the Underworld seems most useful of this batch.
    edited December 2018
    I would test it yourself. Points in kit performance, different combinations with exploits or expose, etc....That will make a difference.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Here is a video about the method I mentioned earlier:

I messed up a jump at 1:16, but as you can see you have a few liberties running the course and you can avoid sliding by a few different methods like jumping and sliding.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I have actually caught up to NPCs of the race ahead of me. You can see they follow a straight line pattern and then pivot to the next straight line. One time I almost caught up to the player before me. Still Running and Rolling th

This year I have noticed that someone 'On the Boardwalk' has taken to dropping Party Poppers so ensure you have you your Nullifiers. That is, if it is not programmed into the Race that the will not affect Racers.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Here is a video about the method I mentioned earlier:

I messed up a jump at 1:16, but as you can see you have a few liberties running the course and you can avoid sliding by a few different methods like jumping and sliding.​​

Your poor spacebar. I thought they got abused by the spacebar space bind, but this is a whole new level of torture. :D All kidding aside, I've been teaching myself how to do this these past few days, and it definitely is the fastest method I've seen. Even at intermediate skill, I'm getting done about 10 seconds faster than with the run/controlled slide method on average.
    ltminns wrote: »
    I have actually caught up to NPCs of the race ahead of me. You can see they follow a straight line pattern and then pivot to the next straight line. One time I almost caught up to the player before me. Still Running and Rolling th

This year I have noticed that someone 'On the Boardwalk' has taken to dropping Party Poppers so ensure you have you your Nullifiers. That is, if it is not programmed into the Race that the will not affect Racers.

I've been beating the NPC of the person ahead of me for years now, and occasionally beating the person themselves, if they were barely beating their NPC. The window between contestants has narrowed this year, so I was beating the previous contestant more often. Now that I'm hopping, I've beaten the NPC and person ahead of me, and the NPC of the person ahead of them, assuming there is a grouping that close.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.

If your race is timed during a Snowball Fight, you can be attacked by a snowman and struck by a snowball, so it might be that the Devs are aware of the possibility of being Party Popped as a possibility. Then again there are lots of things that you cannot use on the boardwalk so perhaps this is just that they let slip by.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You can only be attacked by Snowmen if you have no opponent in the Race.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    You can only be attacked by Snowmen if you have no opponent in the Race.
    Did not know that you could have no opponent in the Daily Race.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Thanks everyone for helping provide good tips and tricks.

If anyone wants to take up the torch for the Summer Event later this year... feel free to do so. And hopefully we'll have a section for advice on STFs down the road now that more and more are being played due to randoms.

Until next Winter Event... stay frosty.
    tenor.gif?itemid=10527220

And watch out for Q's Dancing Girls. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Thank you, Rattler2, for always pitching in. :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.