test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Starter Service Pack ???

2»

Comments

• titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Just checked the Z store myself... had bought the old elite pack... don't even see the reclaim any more... isn't that something I already contractually bought???
  • titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Just checked the Z store myself... had bought the old elite pack... don't even see the reclaim any more... isn't that something I already contractually bought???
    OOps, saw the reclaim in 'services' now...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If you have just a single character the values decent (not amazing just decent) on the new pack but the removal of the account bank slots has to my mind made the overall worth drop considerably. As such I won't recommend it to anyone unless its in a sale whereas its predecessor was something I'd suggest to people at any time.
    So, just curious, do you "recommend" everyone buy their slots individually, for twice the price, or make do with the tiny default inventory?
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    This new pack is pretty awesome. I was lucky enough to buy the original elite starter pack which I can continue to use on new characters. And even though this new pack is only a character unlock, it's pretty sweet that if you already hit the cap on the character in which you buy it on, it gives you some "boxes" which you can move over to other chars to claim whatever you hit the cap on. This slick feature ensures that you don't waste anything.

It's only awesome if you want to play a single character. If you have multiple characters and want the inventory and bank slots then you'll now have to buy this pack on every single character, that 1000z multiplied by however many toons you run.
    Plus you'll want to buy the account bank on top which is another 1000z.
    Plus the old pack had character slots too so that another 300z or so.
    So to get the same level of reward for an account that the old pack had you're looking at spending at least 4000z+ (account bank + 3 starter packs for the base free characters you get). That's nowhere near as good value as the old pack and its pretty dammed obvious the change was made because of greed and them not making enough money off players.

What adds insult to injury though is that the replacement has almost the exact same name and the change was unannounced. So it's clearly going to catch a few players out and make Cryptic some cash before people cotton on and realise its a TRIBBLE deal. This whole thing looks really shady if you ask me, its a blatant stealth switcheroo with a less valuable item.

It's still a really good value that stacks nicely with the old ES Pack pack that has unfortunately been removed. Thankfully I bought it before Cryptic came to their senses. The best part IMO about the new pack is that if you buy it, and it causes you to hit your cap on inventory slots, bank slots or whatever, the pack will instead drop a box in your inventory that you can move over to another character. You can then open that box and claim those unused slots on an alt making sure that you don't waste anything.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    The elite pack it's available for reclaim, but not for sale, i just reclaimed it yesterday… i hope they put it on the c-store again… the new services one…. is not that good...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Alright, here's a related question. My main has 216 inventory slots and there is no option to buy more slots. Another character has a mere 174 inventory slots. The option to buy more slots is right there on my inventory but when I try to click it, it says I'm already at the max slots. What gives?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    So, just curious, do you "recommend" everyone buy their slots individually, for twice the price, or make do with the tiny default inventory?
    Given that the "Service Pack" costs over 50K Zen? You may as well just get LTS, it would be cheaper.

I may be missing something here, but to me it's 1k. Per toon, so you're talking probably totally filled alt roster? But even then it's cheaper than its predecessor. Which was enormously more worth it, especially for altaholics, of course, but the new one still isn't a bad deal, and letting history ("used to be better") make you miscalculate doesn't make for a fair comparison.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Given that the "Service Pack" costs over 50K Zen? You may as well just get LTS, it would be cheaper.

I may be missing something here, but to me it's 1k. Per toon, so you're talking probably totally filled alt roster? But even then it's cheaper than its predecessor. Which was enormously more worth it, especially for altaholics, of course, but the new one still isn't a bad deal, and letting history ("used to be better") make you miscalculate doesn't make for a fair comparison.

Well to get the same benefits for the whole account you'd need to spend at least 1000z per alt plus the 1000z for the account bank. Then add on the cost of an EC cap unlock if you still don''t have it, and any extra retrain tokens the original pack had too.
    So you're looking at potentially a lot more zen for the account, and yes for some people lifer account would almost be better.
    SulMatuul.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If you have just a single character the values decent (not amazing just decent) on the new pack but the removal of the account bank slots has to my mind made the overall worth drop considerably. As such I won't recommend it to anyone unless its in a sale whereas its predecessor was something I'd suggest to people at any time.

To repeat myself, with some emphasis to make it more obvious.

I'd not recommend UNLESS IT'S ON SALE so it's more a case of how patient the person is, default inventory is enough to be going on with unless the character is actively used and you feel the need to have multiple gear sets on them.

Depends if the alt is just there for offline dilithium duties via doffing & admiralty or not.

I'd not recommend UNLESS IT'S ON SALE so it's more a case of how patient the person is, default inventory is enough to be going on with unless the character is actively used and you feel the need to have multiple gear sets on them.

Depends if the alt is just there for offline dilithium duties via doffing & admiralty or not.
    Obviously if you were never going to buy any slots in the first place, the question is moot. However, most players I do presume do have at least one character that is actively used. And a bundle named "Starter" is clearly aimed at new players to START with, so complaining your umpteenth refinery mule doesn't need any slots at all to roll Admiralty ad infinitum is beside the point.

The bundle costs 1,000 Zen. The slots in it cost 2,350 Zen to buy separately (1,200 for the inventory slots, 900 for the bank slots and 250 for the boff slots). So assuming a player actually needs/wants slots in the first place, what reason can you give that they should pay over twice the price for separate purchases instead of taking the bundle?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The value of the services pack isn't my problem.. the shady bait and switch tactics are my real issue.

The methods in which this change was implemented are.. shady at best.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User

Obviously if you were never going to buy any slots in the first place, the question is moot. However, most players I do presume do have at least one character that is actively used. And a bundle named "Starter" is clearly aimed at new players to START with, so complaining your umpteenth refinery mule doesn't need any slots at all to roll Admiralty ad infinitum is beside the point.

The bundle costs 1,000 Zen. The slots in it cost 2,350 Zen to buy separately (1,200 for the inventory slots, 900 for the bank slots and 250 for the boff slots). So assuming a player actually needs/wants slots in the first place, what reason can you give that they should pay over twice the price for separate purchases instead of taking the bundle?

You see to be trying to argue for the sake of it with the false assumption that I want folk to buy slots piecemeal rather than the bundled option.

There's nothing in the game that demands large amounts of storage NOW.

I was easily able to run my F2P account without picking up boff, bank or bag slots for years and only expanded on them when the starter pack arrived. And that is as someone who tends towards being a hoarder in mmo's.

To put it simply

WAIT FOR A SALE!

Can't really be more explicit than that.

You see to be trying to argue for the sake of it with the false assumption that I want folk to buy slots piecemeal rather than the bundled option.

There's nothing in the game that demands large amounts of storage NOW.

I was easily able to run my F2P account without picking up boff, bank or bag slots for years and only expanded on them when the starter pack arrived. And that is as someone who tends towards being a hoarder in mmo's.

To put it simply

WAIT FOR A SALE!

Can't really be more explicit than that.
    That's a matter of opinion. I capped my main's inventory/bank as fast as I could and have re-capped them every time the caps have been raised. I'm still constantly out of room. I've been waiting since they 86ed subscriptions they'd put the subscription slot cap increase on the C-Store so I could buy more.

I was going off your original words "won't recommend it to anyone" and I was interested in if you actually meant that and why? I now see that your "anyone" really just meant anyone who didn't really want more slots to begin with, which is kinda obvious.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    It still sits bad with me. The fact that nobody from cryptic said anything about even though the topic has been posted in the official forums, well that just gives me an idea what kind of intent is behind the switch...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It still sits bad with me. The fact that nobody from cryptic said anything about even though the topic has been posted in the official forums, well that just gives me an idea what kind of intent is behind the switch...

Yep, at this point there has been multiple requests for clarification from Cryptic on all fronts and those requests have been met with the silence you would expect from those that realize their guilt.

This was pure 'bait and switch,' and it was intentional. They have done nothing to show otherwise.

Take this as a lesson going forward, you're not dealing with a reputable company anymore. Future dealings with Cryptic studios should be done with caution.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User

Yep, at this point there has been multiple requests for clarification from Cryptic on all fronts and those requests have been met with the silence you would expect from those that realize their guilt.

This was pure 'bait and switch,' and it was intentional. They have done nothing to show otherwise.

Take this as a lesson going forward, you're not dealing with a reputable company anymore. Future dealings with Cryptic studios should be done with caution.

I trusted them once before. It was during a live stream. They gave a code for something, and said it was account bound. Then, after almost everyone had it activated, it was changed to being character bound. Original versions of it were account bound, and so everyone believed that they would hold true to their word. I now have it stuck on a toon that I just wanted to test it on their build, and pretty much never really used it after that. But I had other toons that I really needed it on.

After that, I never trusted anything they said, or anything they promise. I read and re-read everything to make sure they don't pull something like this on me. Sadly, just like with me, there are a lot of players that don't know to expect things like this untill they are hit by it.

Still, Cryptic/PWE are a lot better than Pixonic. That company wrote the book on being greedy and underhanded.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    The Elite Services Starter Pack is now 20% Off during the current 20% Off Services Sale!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Since this is now just bashing on Cryptic, I'm closing this.

Per the Terms of Service:

24.4 We may, from time to time, modify, amend, or supplement our fees, billing methods and terms applicable to Zen or to any purchases, and post those changes in these Terms, in separate Terms of Sale or in other terms or agreements posted on the Website or Service or otherwise provided to you by us. Such modifications, amendments, supplements or Terms of Sale shall be effective immediately upon posting on the Website or Service and shall be incorporated by reference into these Terms. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may terminate your account at any time.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms

/Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.