test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ships bought in C Store?

celus#9065 celus Member Posts: 21 Arc User
I was reading the post about the Mirror Carrier and I got to wondering. Are ships bought in the C-Store usable by the account or just the single character?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Account. But are faction locked i.e Fed ships for fed and fed-aligned characters, kdf ships for kdf and kdf-aligned characters, Rom ships for romulans only (they get access to everything these days)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    And C-store ships can be discarded to save you space and reacquired w/o charge.
    Unlike box ships where if you discard it you have to go buy one again.
    My drydock is full of those ships.

Sadly it seems Cryptic has stopped caring about the C-store and just puts their 2nd string ships there now.
  • celus#9065 celus Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Thank you for the quick responses
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Sadly it seems Cryptic has stopped caring about the C-store and just puts their 2nd string ships there now.

Except, T5 Mirror ships have always come out in Lockboxes...as secondary ships.

Now, they just moved this T6 Mirror ship into the Infinity Box...because there is no box to have it as a secondary ship in (???). But they made it usable at any Level as a carrot for a player to acquire this ship as a stand alone.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

Except, T5 Mirror ships have always come out in Lockboxes...as secondary ships.

Now, they just moved this T6 Mirror ship into the Infinity Box...because there is no box to have it as a secondary ship in (???). But they made it usable at any Level as a carrot for a player to acquire this ship as a stand alone.

Right, those T5 mirror ships were relatively common drops, since they weren't special. The T6 Mirror ship with scaling, is "cooler" than a regular T6, so it's better than c-store level. And it's at the same rarity as the other Good ships. Not really equivalent to the old T5 mirrors. /shrug

I've had the vague conspiracy-theory thoughts, that maybe they're trying to get all they can out of lockboxes/promo boxes before Congress does something irrational in regards to them.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I've had the vague conspiracy-theory thoughts, that maybe they're trying to get all they can out of lockboxes/promo boxes before Congress does something irrational in regards to them.

While I believe 'something' needs to be done about the plague of loot boxes in games, I also have little faith in some government agency coming up with a smart solution.

And back when the C-store got it first p2w ship, I thought that was horrible, but now, I'd be ecstatic if all we had to worry about was the C-store. At least that's an honest 'get what you pay for' system.

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    They will tax them...that is how they handle everything they want people to stop using. Take their cut if people can't stop.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Oh, and Holiday ships (Summer, Winter, Anniversary) are also account-unlocks. And reclaimable if you dismiss them (from the Event store)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    ^^^
    Huh? It's been that way since 2012 when PWE took over, turned STO F2P and released the first Lockbox Ship (the Jem'Hadar Bugship').

After 6 (going on 7) years of this Lockbox Ship Paradigm, I wouldn't call it either new, or a desperate move to get 'more' from Lockboxes. It's been PWE's SOP for STO from day one of their ownership of Cryptic.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited December 2018
    ^^^
    Huh? It's been that way since 2012 when PWE took over, turned STO F2P and released the first Lockbox Ship (the Jem'Hadar Bugship').

After 6 (going on 7) years of this Lockbox Ship Paradigm, I wouldn't call it either new, or a desperate move to get 'more' from Lockboxes. It's been PWE's SOP for STO from day one of their ownership of Cryptic.

Yeah, I've been here (and opening lockboxes, with Dil & EC) since 2012. It just feels like it's accelerated in the last half year or so.
This discussion has been closed.