test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wish I could use my full away team in a ground battlezone.

fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
I spend a lot of time making my full away team thematic.

An admiral commanding other ships in the same space battlezone would be nice too, something a little more RTS like.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Most ground battlezones are already pretty easy without Boffs.

The only way they could allow this without making players overpowered there, is to basically make the Boffs vanity pets.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    Which reminds me of Senator Letant... time to start using Klingon boffs more often ;)
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @risian6#1997 said:
    > Most ground battlezones are already pretty easy without Boffs.
    >
    > The only way they could allow this without making players overpowered there, is to basically make the Boffs vanity pets.

There used to be a bug in the Defera zone (where you have no away team at all) that you could get your full team there by doing very specific things. That has been fixed for a while, but it was fun.

I never really understood why players wanted that though. I tried it once, and it became very boring pretty quickly.

Defera, already being very easy, is probably the best example of how the battlezones are currently not built for players + full teams of Boffs.

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    We have to distinguish between three issues here, methinks. Performance, gameplay, roleplay.

Performance wise some zones may not be able to handle too many characters plus 4 boffs each plus waves of enemies plus other stuff going on. This has been said at least for one battlezone, though it may not hold anymore, since technology may have marched on.

Gameplay wise we hardly need any boffs at all (or sometimes: boffs are enough, we don't need the player character, just have the boffs defend the are and make yourself a cup in the kitchen). So introducing more boffs would make content even easier - which may be countered by just randomly ramping up enemy stats, for all the good experiences we already have with this solution.

So I think not gonna happen.

But roleplay wise I get you. It would be nice to have more places to use the amount of work you put in your ground team. Maybe not only the away team but all boffs. There is a certain discrepancy between space barbie (mostly ground) and actual gameplay (mostly space).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    What's amusing, is that one of the oldest maps in the game, with Hundreds of respawning "trash" mobs, and a MASSIVE gameplay area, seems quite able to handle any number of players with 4 boffs - That being Nimbus III.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    > @bendalek said:
    > What's amusing, is that one of the oldest maps in the game, with Hundreds of respawning "trash" mobs, and a MASSIVE gameplay area, seems quite able to handle any number of players with 4 boffs - That being Nimbus III.

Nimbus III came in with LoR, there are many many maps older than that.

Yes I know ... I was there. But, have you looked at a calendar lately? Nimbus III is now one of the oldest maps, I never said it was the oldest. My point being, that Cryptic are capable of creating huge maps with hundreds (thousands?) of respawning mobs, which allow full away teams, so you cannot use "game engine" or "game code" as an excuse not to create similar maps/environments.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »
    > @bendalek said:
    > What's amusing, is that one of the oldest maps in the game, with Hundreds of respawning "trash" mobs, and a MASSIVE gameplay area, seems quite able to handle any number of players with 4 boffs - That being Nimbus III.

Nimbus III came in with LoR, there are many many maps older than that.
    Yes I know ... I was there. But, have you looked at a calendar lately? Nimbus III is now one of the oldest maps, I never said it was the oldest. My point being, that Cryptic are capable of creating huge maps with hundreds (thousands?) of respawning mobs, which allow full away teams, so you cannot use "game engine" or "game code" as an excuse not to create similar maps/environments.
    It's linked to how many players per objective the devs expect there to be.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The only ground battlezone in the game was released in 2013 and contains level 50 content only. The last ground adventure zone was released in 2014 and contains level 60 content. It's the end of 2018 now and we're level 65.

The obvious way to have full away teams in adventure/battle zones would be to make new ones with up-to-date difficulty level.

And speculating on the game code we will never actually know is a waste of time.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    There used to be a bug in the Defera zone (where you have no away team at all) that you could get your full team there by doing very specific things. That has been fixed for a while, but it was fun.
    It was fun and was a nice way of putting your away team to the test. Don't think it was a bug but perhaps a fix for a possible exploit. I miss you /fillpetteamlist. Perhaps the exploit was people where having fun :wink:
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    That worked? I always did the "go to bottom level of the power plant and change instance".
    lol just learned something new, but it's all in the past now anyways :smile:
    protoneous wrote: »
    It was fun and was a nice way of putting your away team to the test. Don't think it was a bug but perhaps a fix for a possible exploit. I miss you /fillpetteamlist. Perhaps the exploit was people where having fun :wink:
    protoneous wrote: »
    That worked? I always did the "go to bottom level of the power plant and change instance".
    lol just learned something new, but it's all in the past now anyways :smile:

Probably because the factory (which the power plant supplied with energy) that made all those boffs, shut down when the Borg came. Players were consuming the last boffs that had been made there.

It's also why Starfleet ran out of Tallasa copies btw.

warpangel wrote: »
    The only ground battlezone in the game was released in 2013 and contains level 50 content only. The last ground adventure zone was released in 2014 and contains level 60 content. It's the end of 2018 now and we're level 65.

The obvious way to have full away teams in adventure/battle zones would be to make new ones with up-to-date difficulty level.

And speculating on the game code we will never actually know is a waste of time.

Actually, I like this idea.

Perhaps a ground BZ based on the "Mirror" version of Bajor for Terran and Temporal marks? (I know the map is currently just the old Bajor, but at night, but they could make the map bigger without to much difficulty)

And maybe a BZ based on the Kentari home world mission - expand on the "urban post apocalyptic" warfare theme from that one mission, for Lukari marks.

And maybe make the colony invasion simulations Server/Instance wide "events" that anyone, from anywhere, can attend, in a rolling schedule similar to Gomer'Pile (or whatever "naughty, naughty" is called) in QWW

Gamma marks could be a BZ designed around having to "periodically" clear out the fek'uglies from that abandoned Founder research base (that could be fun, clearing out levels to get to the bottom.)

We know the game engine can handle this, as they do it now (In QWW and the SE) they've done it in the past (with the original 'Red Alerts') and they do it in Neverwinter all the time.

This discussion has been closed.