test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Happened (Why Am I Suddenly Exploding)?

2»

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yup...and you got the people who're like "I do okay, so it must be you!"

Such a statement -- whilst not entirely devoid of an 'in your face!' attitude -- is not wrong per se, though, in that one white raven proves the existence of white ravens; aka, if I can do it (with me not being a super-DPS player), then it's fair to say the game hasn't become totally undoable for everyone. And, indeed, I don't think it has, as I can do it. :) Doesn't mean no NPC dmg scaling took place, or that they didn't get a bit smarter, here and there; for instance, Tzenkethi flock together (especially when you force them to do so with your GW on them), reinforcing each other. So, still doesn't amount to you exploding instantly now, but merely means that you, the player, can no longer blindly pew-pew everywhere you go. And that, by the goddess, sometimes you even need to try and think outside just your 'smashing the spacebar' box. :)

All-in-all, I say those changes were good, even though the scaling is a bit off in certain areas (especially NPC kinetic).

Thing is, I don't think that scaling is 'off' at all-I kinda suspect the 35K through-shields-without-debuffing first is what they're supposed to be doing.

Notably, I don't use grravy wells on Tzenkethi, because they DO reinforce each other and have since being introduced to the game.
    ... (sniped just cuz I wanted to respond to this)

Yup! They do reinforce each-other..But..with enough de-buffing and the GW trait debuff too...That rule can go out the window :P
    But good rule of Thumb..Divide and conquer with Tzenkethi..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yup...and you got the people who're like "I do okay, so it must be you!"

At this point, I don't think anyone denies that such things can happen. When we say 'I do ok,' we're not saying that the problem doesn't exist, we're saying we have built to compensate. The super torp hits can happen, and because of this, some of us have made some changes in our load outs to include some more defensive minded traits and tactics like the ones I outlined earlier in the thread. We're not saying the problem doesn't exist, we're saying that you're better off compensating for it then you are waiting for Cryptic to fix it.
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    My engineer's tank ship which is an advanced obelisk almost never goes below 85% hull with high resists(65% lowest to almost 70% highest base or more across every resist and 163.8k hull - when I use my skills it goes further by far). All that while also have triggers to heal those near me helping team and pets. Its not that its dead - its just not popular, and you also need to heal, not just spam and tank. Unfortunately ships that are good for tanking are slow-to-turn whales like the mentioned one.

It's not popular because that style is simply less effective then just about anything else you can do. I am not bashing on you in any way, you should play how you like and if that works for you then thats great. I do however, feel the need to point out that a tactically deficient ship like the Obelisk, stacked with all those resists is not ever going to be nearly as effective as the current method of 'offensive tanking.' Most people 'tank' by drawing threat and dealing damage to pull attention. They then use buffs and immunities to handle the incoming damage while others open up on the targets. What @salazarraze said was right on the money, tanking in this game done more through immunities, buffs, heals and placates. The style you're playing is just 'turtling up' which honestly.. isn't much help in team content. If you can't deal damage you need some other way to pull threat, otherwise things are not going to focus on you. To be brutally honest, you would be much more useful in team play by building a ship that can actually kill something rather then just hunkering down and preparing to take damage. Even if you're healing your team, that's great.. but you would simply be more help to them by killing targets and lessening the potential for taking damage to begin with. I am not saying this is anything you're doing wrong, it's just how STO is designed. Rather or not that's a flaw in the game.. that's another topic all together.
    hmm nobody mentioned about the ship?

Let's say even my Vo'que Carrier has 50%+ resist all, it is still very fragile, no better than a 0% resist fed assault cruiser.

I have had similar experience, which is why none of my builds ever focus on resists. I never use any armor consoles, they're just a waste in my opinion and not worth sacrificing precious console slots to use. On average, I run no higher then 20-30% resists max because there is simply no point in stacking any more. I use other methods to take damage and save my console slots for things that help me do more damage. Simply put, it doesn't matter what my resists are if my attacker is already dead. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    The "problem" of the borked (borc'd?) damage scaling, I think is caused by players such as seaofsorrows. Now, I'm not "blaming" or "shaming", please believe I am not in any way wishing to offend the 'elite' players, quite the contrary, I respect most of them for their skill, and for their willingness to help others, but ... what Crytpic sees is certain players with resources to spare "working" the system, and overcoming these bugs.

The issue arises from the fact that not everyone can match that level of skill or equipment, particularly not new or returning players. I defy ANYONE, to get a freshly minted lvl 65 character, with only mission reward gear, no lockbox, c-store, lobi or reputation traits, no fleet consoles, and no lockbox or c-store ships, nothing over Mk XII VR equipment, to run any elite (and even some advanced) TFO's without getting there cherry popped repeatedly and constantly. Particularly the "late game" enemies such as the Tzenkethi.

As mentioned, the forums are full of players making threads similar to this one, but I've yet to see a single person post a video of them "doing HSE in a Miranda" as some claim.

If you scale the game to be "challenging" to the top 1%, what happens to the other 99% ? Some may stick around long enough to "go pro or go home" as some seem to want, but the vast majority are gonna say "TRIBBLE this" and leave. And that doesn't help any of us.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »
    The "problem" of the borked (borc'd?) damage scaling, I think is caused by players such as seaofsorrows. Now, I'm not "blaming" or "shaming", please believe I am not in any way wishing to offend the 'elite' players, quite the contrary, I respect most of them for their skill, and for their willingness to help others, but ... what Crytpic sees is certain players with resources to spare "working" the system, and overcoming these bugs.

No offense taken, and I assure you that the respect is mutual.

I understand what you're saying here, and honestly.. only Cryptic can tell us for sure, and I doubt they will. Personally, I feel like it's unintended and they are either unable or unwilling to fix it. The fact is that the vast majority of the player base does not have all epic gear, they do not have tons of lobi consoles and traits, they do not have billions of EC worth of ships bought for traits and gear, etc. To gear the combat toward these higher end players would be a mistake of epic proportions. Now, I am not saying for sure that this isn't what happened, but personally.. I do not believe that it is.
    I defy ANYONE, to get a freshly minted lvl 65 character, with only mission reward gear, no lockbox, c-store, lobi or reputation traits, no fleet consoles, and no lockbox or c-store ships, nothing over Mk XII VR equipment, to run any elite (and even some advanced) TFO's without getting there cherry popped repeatedly and constantly.

For Elite, I agree completely.. and this is absolutely how it should be. Elite Content when introduced was described by Cryptic as the toughest content in the game and they said flat out that it requires high end gear, top of the line builds and team coordination to complete. Elite Content was never intended for anyone other then very well geared players.

For Advanced.. I am going to be honest here.. I can't honestly say for sure. The fact is, I am too far removed from the 'new player' mindset to know for sure. As long as I have been playing, my characters are all highly geared, even my 'for fun' builds are probably still well outside the budget for the average player. I don't believe that Advanced is too hard for moderately geared players, but I honestly don't have the proper perspective to say for sure.
    As mentioned, the forums are full of players making threads similar to this one, but I've yet to see a single person post a video of them "doing HSE in a Miranda" as some claim.

If someone is doing HSE in the T1 Miranda then they are doing it with 4 really great players that are carrying that person big time. If a team of players does HSE in T1 ships and post a video, then HSE would be in need of a revamp. I have never heard of anyone doing this map in T1 ships so I am not really sure why you would expect something like this to be posted.
    If you scale the game to be "challenging" to the top 1%, what happens to the other 99% ? Some may stick around long enough to "go pro or go home" as some seem to want, but the vast majority are gonna say "TRIBBLE this" and leave. And that doesn't help any of us.

Absolutely agreed. I honestly don't believe this is what Cryptic intends.. it simply can't be. I believe that this is more about their unwillingness or inability to fix bugs then it is an intentional attempt to make advanced queues challenging for top players. The latter scenario from a game design perspective would be ridiculously stupid.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I defy ANYONE, to get a freshly minted lvl 65 character, with only mission reward gear, no lockbox, c-store, lobi or reputation traits, no fleet consoles, and no lockbox or c-store ships, nothing over Mk XII VR equipment, to run any elite (and even some advanced) TFO's without getting there cherry popped repeatedly and constantly. Particularly the "late game" enemies such as the Tzenkethi.

Well it is elite after all. It's not supposed to be easy to complete with drops and whatever you can randomly throw together. As far as advanced goes, it starts out as a bit of a slog when I first roll a character up to 50. It quickly gets easier as I unlock specs, rep traits and resources to buy fleet gear.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    Mob crits are a bit wonky right now, particularly with torps.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    I defy ANYONE, to get a freshly minted lvl 65 character, with only mission reward gear, no lockbox, c-store, lobi or reputation traits, no fleet consoles, and no lockbox or c-store ships, nothing over Mk XII VR equipment, to run any elite (and even some advanced) TFO's without getting there cherry popped repeatedly and constantly. Particularly the "late game" enemies such as the Tzenkethi.

Well it is elite after all. It's not supposed to be easy to complete with drops and whatever you can randomly throw together. As far as advanced goes, it starts out as a bit of a slog when I first roll a character up to 50. It quickly gets easier as I unlock specs, rep traits and resources to buy fleet gear.

1) I didn't say lvl 50, I specifically said lvl 65, at which the level scaling is, without any doubt whatsoever borked.
    2) So ... in other words - spend months upon months "grinding" = Again NOT "new' player, or even alt, friendly in any way, and not the "easy mode" that so many seem to claim whenever one of these posts pops up (all to frequently) on the forums, and in countless discussions in the in-game chat. Gotcha
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

1) I didn't say lvl 50, I specifically said lvl 65, at which the level scaling is, without any doubt whatsoever borked.
    2) So ... in other words - spend months upon months "grinding" = Again NOT "new' player, or even alt, friendly in any way, and not the "easy mode" that so many seem to claim whenever one of these posts pops up (all to frequently) on the forums, and in countless discussions in the in-game chat. Gotcha

1) I didn't say you said level 50. Advanced becomes available at level 50 which is why I referred to 50 in my post.
    2) Grinding isn't easy or hard. It's a matter of desire and discipline.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Perhaps you could try a different playstyle than fly in the middle of the mob, BFAW everything (and aggro everything) and rely on the fact that high resistance of mighty traits and energy refrequencer will save you.
    But you have a point, NPCs sometimes do a insane torp spread, today I was on Dranuur gauntlet advanced (via random queue), and players were unable to play , because Heralds were constantly sending transphasic torp spreads (with some disable abilities).
This discussion has been closed.