test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Aenar

eileen134340eileen134340 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I would love to have a playable Aenar character that can do everything the species does in ENT, including projecting their image to another location. The BOFFs are nice, but not the same. I wouldn't mind if they were a premium species, such as the Talaxians (only open to people with life subscriptions), or like Caitians, which need to be purchased from the C store.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Are you asking that they be a cross-faction race while you're at it, or yet another thing that leaves the Romulans, KDF, and JH out in the cold?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    You can make one with a custom alien. The skin color is tough, because the base texture is colored simply setting it to white doesn't work, but G12 is reasonably close.

Projecting an image of yourself is an intel kit ability https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Photonic_Decoy
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Cross faction? That makes no sense, as Aenar are Federation citizens. It would make more sense for Ferengi to be cross faction, but that's another thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Cross faction? That makes no sense, as Aenar are Federation citizens. It would make more sense for Ferengi to be cross faction, but that's another thread.

Even if the Aenar are a Federation member race, people can renounce their citizenship and leave the Federation. Canon has already shown that the Federation typically won't force them to stay against their will.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Are they tho? I don't remember seeing anything canon that says the Aenar joined the federation. The Andorians sure...but the Andorians and Aenar are two different sovereign people. Just because one joined doesn't mean the other had to as well. And considering how xenophobic and insular they are...I don't think you can just assume they did.

A requirement to join the Federation is a World Government which recognizes the rights and citizenship of all its sentient inhabitants, so yes, I'd say the Aenar are aligned with the Federation.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Are they tho? I don't remember seeing anything canon that says the Aenar joined the federation. The Andorians sure...but the Andorians and Aenar are two different sovereign people. Just because one joined doesn't mean the other had to as well. And considering how xenophobic and insular they are...I don't think you can just assume they did.

A requirement to join the Federation is a World Government which recognizes the rights and citizenship of all its sentient inhabitants, so yes, I'd say the Aenar are aligned with the Federation.
    I'm also pretty sure that even if Aenar aren't de jure UFP citizens they're de facto UFP citizens due to their homeworld being a federation coreworld.

Also the ENT finale seems to imply that Aenar and Andorians are no longer hostile towards each other Shran's daughter is Andorian/Aenar hybrid and IIRC it's not considered to be a result of taboo relationship.

Quite frankly there's very little for aenar to gain from not joining UFP, while there's a great deal to gain from joining, so even if it wasn't explictly stated it's safe to assume that aenar did join.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Joined Trill?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Joined Trill?
    Yeah, that one's a head-scratcher in-universe: Trill is a Federation member and Jadzia being a Klingon fan says more about her and Curzon than about Trills in general. I think Real Life Wrote the Plot that time: it would've been a Fed-only lifetimer benefit otherwise.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited December 2018
    I think "Joined" Trill were given to both FED and KDF due to Dax's close association with both, so there's on screen canon support for that.

Same support goes for Ferengi, given that Nog joined Starfleet and Quark at one point married a Klingon, so an argument could be made for their inclusion in both.

Aenar on the other hand, have only ever been seen in ENT. Outside of their homeworld, which would later become a Federation founder, they're only ever seen being used by the Romulans. So, a case could potentially be made for ROM use, but there's no canon precedent for KDF, which is why I say it doesn't make sense. Also, Aenar are typically pacifists, so joining a warrior culture's military makes little sense.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Restricting entire races based on the personal history of one character is pretty arbitrary.

But then all of STO's "faction" restrictions are.
    edited December 2018
    I think "Joined" Trill were given to both FED and KDF due to Dax's close association with both, so there's on screen canon support for that.

Same support goes for Ferengi, given that Nog joined Starfleet and Quark at one point married a Klingon, so an argument could be made for their inclusion in both.
    Nah, the reason the Ferengi make sense as a cross-faction species is because the Ferengi Alliance, where the majority of Ferengi (presumably) live, is an independent and neutral country WRT the blue and red "sides". To contrast with a species that is currently cross-faction, see the Cardassian Union, which is by treaty a Federation protectorate and, not to put too fine a point on it, was the subject of a regime change attempt by the Klingons within living memory. The lives of individual characters, no matter how important to us the viewers, ought not to be viewed as having much bearing on the actions and inclinations of an entire people (especially in the case of a plutocracy, the Ferengi Alliance, or an aristocratic "republic"/constitutional monarchy, the Klingon Empire).
    warpangel wrote: »
    Aenar, as portrayed in Ent and in other soft canon sources, are reclusive and uninvolved in matters outside their cities, so it doesn't make sense to create a character race based on a race which is:
    What doesn't make sense is treating aliens as blatant racial stereotypes.

Well said.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

warpangel wrote: »
    Aenar, as portrayed in Ent and in other soft canon sources, are reclusive and uninvolved in matters outside their cities, so it doesn't make sense to create a character race based on a race which is:
    What doesn't make sense is treating aliens as blatant racial stereotypes.

Planet of Hats is as old as Trek, and engraved in virtually every episode. All Trill are iconoclasts, all Vulcans are logical (except for plot-relevant individuals,) all humans are inquisitive, all Ferengi are greedy, etc. And Andorians are militant, while Aenar are pacifists.

If you want to play a character who doesn't wear her race-appropriate hat, then by all means do so. That's why Alien is an option in the character generator.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Joined Trill?
    Yeah, that one's a head-scratcher in-universe: Trill is a Federation member and Jadzia being a Klingon fan says more about her and Curzon than about Trills in general. I think Real Life Wrote the Plot that time: it would've been a Fed-only lifetimer benefit otherwise.
    Amusingly Disco went there to reinforce it. :p
    latest?cb=20180216003022&path-prefix=en
    Yeah, a Trill getting a tattoo from a Klingon in an Orion tattoo parlor on Qo'noS. :p AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Oh, lordy, lordy, let's not go down this sinkhole. Tolkien is being accused of being racist for his depiction of Orcs.

'What a world ,what a world'!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Oh, lordy, lordy, let's not go down this sinkhole. Tolkien is being accused of being racist for his depiction of Orcs.

'What a world ,what a world'!!
    And portraying spiders as evil! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I would like to see Playble Aenar even if they just place it in the Discovery Faction. Or add the blind eyes to the alien gen. Which they should have done in the beginning for those that want to be more like geordi laforge. I do not see why they have not done this. They have blind eyes in Neverwinter. You can play a completely blind character there if you wanted too. But in Sto you don't have that option. I do think its high time they add in the eyes, as well as those two implants that the visor connects to in eyewear options.

As for Aenar population numbers they could easily have grown they had three centuries being members of the federation they might even have been more open and maybe getting out off world has allowed them to grow their population since those times. They might have had a lower population do to a need to limit their population and attempting to avoid discovery by their more violent cousins. The Federation would have changed all that for them. Besides even they had to agree to it before becoming a Member World. It wouldn't make sense at all for Aenar to avoid Federation Society. Maybe even serving as Doctors and Counselors like Betizoids, and in Sto you see many Aenar at the Academy Along with Andorians and other members of the federation.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    You can get Aenar Bridge Officers, so they're apparently willing to join Starfleet by the 25th century. Along with the Aenar-exclusive traits that would make up the innate racial traits.

Playable is just the next step up from that.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Can we also get Benzite and Pakled boffs?
    There are Pakled BOFFs, but apparently they can only obtained through the level up BOFF rewards or from DOFF Recruitment assignments.

I'd love to see Benzite BOFFs added, though.

As for Aenar, in some lore, they're extinct in the 25th century, so I'm surprised they were included at all.
    GrWzQke.png
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I used the alien-gen tool to create my Disco 'toon as Aenar, complete with "blind" (reflective) eyes and Aenar antennae. The hair options are unfortunately limited, but I've given her all the telepathic and empathic traits available. Aenar leadership did not forbid individuals from seeking to live outside their colony, and even as pacifists, they can take up a science career. I also recall that individuals were capable of overcoming their revulsion of violence to defend those dear to them, so the idea of an Aenar captain is not so far-fetched. Starfleet only accepts the most exceptional candidates anyway, and one who chose to seek a future off-world from Andoria would certainly be such a candidate. I don't feel it's really necessary to create a playable "preset" Aenar, with the options currently available, and I'm having great fun with the 'toon as is!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I used the alien-gen tool to create my Disco 'toon as Aenar, complete with "blind" (reflective) eyes and Aenar antennae. The hair options are unfortunately limited, but I've given her all the telepathic and empathic traits available. Aenar leadership did not forbid individuals from seeking to live outside their colony, and even as pacifists, they can take up a science career. I also recall that individuals were capable of overcoming their revulsion of violence to defend those dear to them, so the idea of an Aenar captain is not so far-fetched. Starfleet only accepts the most exceptional candidates anyway, and one who chose to seek a future off-world from Andoria would certainly be such a candidate. I don't feel it's really necessary to create a playable "preset" Aenar, with the options currently available, and I'm having great fun with the 'toon as is!

I have been tempted to make an Aenar the same way, though I am waiting for AoY or another recruitment event before making another character at this point.

I have used the "alien" generator to make quite a few obscure Trek races already, including a TOS Klingon, a Fesarian (and a "Hyde" doff), a Vaalian, an Abician (from Star Trek Continues), and others so far. Most are doable though my attempt to make an Ithenite (or Dayan, different sources call them one or the other) did not work that well since they do not have the metallic gold color in the skin pallet. I also used "alien" to make a pure TOS style blue Andorian though I just saved the template and deleted the character itself since I already had a blue ENT-style Andorian and wanted to try the Vaalian.

I agree that all they really need to do is add some more colors to the skin pallet, hair, and possibly a few other cosmetic options to the "alien" stuff since the cold and psionic traits are already there (along with the kit modules for the other powers). The full new race treatment should only be done for the ones that cannot be done any other way.
    As for Aenar, in some lore, they're extinct in the 25th century, so I'm surprised they were included at all.
    What lore? I seem to remember a book series with an absurd number of races get killed off because reasons.... dumb reasons..
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2018
    In novelverse Aenar are extinct or not extinct and Andorian population leaves the federation and they have this big reproductive crisis. Sto takes elements from many different sources. They used some Novel stuff but also used comics and stuff from the tv shows. There is canon tv shows and movies and whats considered non canon but still canon in in its own way books, video games and others. They are able to use stuff from the books but mostly have done their own thing and mainly stuck with stuff that was on the tv shows and comics, Slipstream drive is in the Novels first used on the Vesta-class. they went with the V'ger connection when it came down to the borg. Those ships found in the distress call alerts are based on the V'ger vessel.

Sto does not use the Andorian Population Crisis plot or borg crisis that ended up in the borg being dissolved. Both Crisis's as far as I know are responsible for the extinction of the Aenar in the novels. So the people who made Star Trek Online took various elements and using them. Maril Paris is still under the weight of the prophecy. Q Junior changes it so it would not happen in the novels. The titan stuff involving the star jellies they didn't use :( So the Titan didn't encounter them. in stos time line you are the ones to discover them and their speices as it hasn't been seen since farpoint.
    Here is a link talking about the Aenar. http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Aenar
    edited December 2018
    Stupid edit monster.
    As I said in the post before it got eatten. In the Novel Verse Aenar are driven to extinction. But this is mainly do to two things. The Andorian Population Crisis and Borg Crisis. In Sto they used used stuff from the tv shows and comic books following the Nero event. They used Novel stuff in the case of the slipstream drive being first used on the Vesta Class they used. It is sad they didn't use more of the Novel stuff. Even some of the good stuff from the Titan Novels. Like the Star Jellies and the Race that used their bodies as mounts. In sto the reason why Aenar are not extinct is because the Andorian Population Crisis and Borg crisis that led to the borg collective being dissolved never happened in Stos Timeline. The Prophecy for Maril Paris, is still on. Q jr made it so she didn't have to suffer it. As he didn't really like it. In Sto her blood is used to cure the klingon augment virus. Now with discovery I think they are changing those missions to account for Discovery Klingons. As for Canon Tv Shows, and Movies, Then non Canon, Books, Video Games and Comics and fan made content. Star Trek Online uses a mix of Canon and Non Canon material. I do not think they are allowed to use stuff made in other Star Trek Video Games. As such they can't use Ships from those sources. But they are able to use comics and books. Not sure how much they can use, but enough to where the Titan Class and Vesta Class were able to be added in.

There is this thing about Andorians having four genders which I can say is well mixed among roleplayers they had more hints about this in one patrol mission, in it the Andorian who is forced to give information because the orions or whatever race it is has his bond mate.

The four Andorian genders comes from a line where Data was discussing weddings, and said that Andorian weddings require four persons. That got converted into four Andorian genders in a novelization. Western Human weddings require five persons: a bride, groom, two witnesses and a minister of some type. This must, therefore, mean that humans have five genders...

Let's think about it: Andorians are militaristic, so it is presumable that they have a high mortality rate. Let's say that 1:8 die before having children, just for fun. Now, of the survivors, only 1:4 can actually have children. So, just to keep even the one mother gender must have 4.5 successful pregnancies. Assuming two years average to birth and wean a child, that requires the mother to be spitting out babies from 18 to 27.

But wait: it gets even more complicated, because in the novel the gender which produces the egg has a limited amount of time to produce her 4.5 eggs, and if she misses a single cycle she fails to produce her 4.5 offspring, meaning either her wife needs to go find another egg donor or she fails to produce her required 4.5 offspring.

Now add maternal and infant mortality to that, and the number jumps to six or more. Toss in a war here and there and you get eight successful pregnancies or more just to keep even. Epidemics? Catastrophic droughts, floods, Andorquakes? Poor mama has no chance to keep up: she's whelping from the age of fertility to the end of her useful breeding cycle.

The math for four genders might work for a species without competition, but it fails in a militaristic culture. So either the culture or the breeding scheme is wrong. And Shran had an Andorian/Aenar hybrid child, implying that, in Ent, at least, Andorians come in two genders.

You may like the four-gendered concept, which is fine: IDIC. You can head-canon it your way. I reject the four-gendered scheme out of hand.

My headcanon is also that the only difference between the Aenar and the rest of the Andorians is inbreeding. They have been separate from the rest of Andorian society long enough to display phenotype variation which is reinforced through inbreeding within a small population pool, but are no more different races than the various human 'races'. So I don't shar the sense of urgency when it comes to an Aenar race being added to the creator. I'd like to see the color palate expanded and hair and eye styles included in the creator for Andorians, but I don't see a need for another race. Aenar are just pigmentally challenged Andorians who are often telepathic.
    The four Andorian genders comes from a line where Data was discussing weddings, and said that Andorian weddings require four persons. That got converted into four Andorian genders in a novelization. Western Human weddings require five persons: a bride, groom, two witnesses and a minister of some type. This must, therefore, mean that humans have five genders...

Let's think about it: Andorians are militaristic, so it is presumable that they have a high mortality rate. Let's say that 1:8 die before having children, just for fun. Now, of the survivors, only 1:4 can actually have children. So, just to keep even the one mother gender must have 4.5 successful pregnancies. Assuming two years average to birth and wean a child, that requires the mother to be spitting out babies from 18 to 27.

But wait: it gets even more complicated, because in the novel the gender which produces the egg has a limited amount of time to produce her 4.5 eggs, and if she misses a single cycle she fails to produce her 4.5 offspring, meaning either her wife needs to go find another egg donor or she fails to produce her required 4.5 offspring.

Now add maternal and infant mortality to that, and the number jumps to six or more. Toss in a war here and there and you get eight successful pregnancies or more just to keep even. Epidemics? Catastrophic droughts, floods, Andorquakes? Poor mama has no chance to keep up: she's whelping from the age of fertility to the end of her useful breeding cycle.

The math for four genders might work for a species without competition, but it fails in a militaristic culture. So either the culture or the breeding scheme is wrong. And Shran had an Andorian/Aenar hybrid child, implying that, in Ent, at least, Andorians come in two genders.

You may like the four-gendered concept, which is fine: IDIC. You can head-canon it your way. I reject the four-gendered scheme out of hand.

You're failing to consider that a lot of animals birth multiple offspring at a time (and even humans can do that, although it's rare). There's also a way to headcanon an evolutionary advantage for the odd reproduction: large families can be a survival trait. For example, wolf packs, as we now know, consist of parents and several years' cubs that haven't started their own families yet, and they both enable the wolves to take down larger prey than a single wolf on his/her own, and provide extra eyes to guard the cubs against other top predators (e.g. bears, mountain lions, eagles).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

This discussion has been closed.