test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Outer Worlds

starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
Obsidian just announced The Outer Worlds and it has a scheduled release date of 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

The Announcement Trailer seems like a giant middle finger to Bethesda with the comments of "From the original creators of Fallout" and "and the developers of Fallout: New Vegas". It essentially says we have everything that is missing from the new Fallout game, single player, npcs, and humor.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Even if The Outer Worlds is half as good as we expect, it will still be 1000 times better than Fallout 76. Fallout 76 feels like Fallout 4 without any npcs or companions, a forced survival mode, and crafting requires getting perks and plans for each piece of equipment. Mod plans for specific weapons and armor can be acquired by scrapping that weapon or armor. Plans can also be found at robot vendors, crates, quests, enemies, and on top of counters or workbenches. Fallout 76 has its version of Dilithium, but it is only available through challenges and you can currently only buy cosmetics.

Then there is all the scandals with the Power Armor Helmet Edition that cost $200. First it was players getting a Nylon bag instead of a Canvas Bag to store their helmet that was initially advertised, then it was Influencers like Youtubers received the Canvas Bag, and then when Bethesda corrected their canvas bag mistake, the confirmation system for getting the canvas bag allowed certain players to gain access into Bethesda's support system resulting in customer's personal information being revealed to other customers.

Personally, I am hoping that Fallout 76 won't damage the chances of Fallout 5 , Elder Scrolls 6, and Starfield being released. Although, The Outer Worlds might be better than any of those future Bethesda games, but I am not sure if The Outer Worlds or Cyberpunk 2077 will be better. The Outer Worlds will certainly not have any romanceable characters.
    Ohh hey looks... wait...
    >That obvious Rick from Rick and Morty copy paste scientist
    >Those puke ugly graphic where everything looks like half melted plastic(thanks Unreal engine)
    >That god awful lip sync that's even worse then Fallout 4's already bad lip sync
    >The "WE WANT THE BORDERLANDS AUDIENCE!" tone/graphics
    Who made this?
    >Obsidian
    Ohh, that explains it. Hard pass. That company has done nothing but made worse sequels to other people's far better games, or made worse rip off of other people's games.

Obsidian did South Park: The Stick of Truth and has a few original titles. Also, Fallout: New Vegas was better than Fallout 3 for its quests and ending. The Fallout 3 ending is almost as bad as Mass Effect 3.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Star, you should really learn to differentiate between your opinions and actual facts. You keep stating your opinions as if everyone shared them. They do not.

And if you think F76 lacks humor, I venture to suggest you haven't played it much. Either that, or your taste for dark postapocalyptic humor is such that Outer Worlds will leave you cold as well.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    star-trek-tng-fallout-easter-egg-1145979.jpeg
    At Tanagra Town.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I haven't run across Tanagra Town yet, but it looks like the person who got that screenshot didn't have a good time there, at least on first visiting. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Star, you should really learn to differentiate between your opinions and actual facts. You keep stating your opinions as if everyone shared them. They do not.

And if you think F76 lacks humor, I venture to suggest you haven't played it much. Either that, or your taste for dark postapocalyptic humor is such that Outer Worlds will leave you cold as well.

Quality assessment is almost always an opinion since everyone has a different opinion on what makes a good game, TV show, movie, etc. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Post was made before I hit Camp McClintock with the Drill Sergeant trying to teach the robots to become Drill Sergeants and the incident at Sugar Grove for humor. So I will admit there is some humor in Fallout 76, but not as much as Fallout 4 due to the lack of npcs in Fallout 76. Humor has a different level of impact when it comes from a npc compared to reading it on a console.
    The Outer Worlds has just become another Epic Games Store Timed-Exclusive for about a year. Steam has changed the release date to 2020. It will also be released on the Microsoft Store at the same time as the Epic Games Store.

I can tolerate console exclusive games since it takes effort to port games to the PC and different consoles. The same with companies exclusively selling their own game on their own platform. However, this exclusivity nonsense that Epic Games is using is hurting the fans of various games. The best method would be to let the PC game sell on any store, but have it sell for $10 cheaper on platforms like Epic Games Store that takes only 12% of every sale compared to Steam's 30%. After all some players have a problem with having more than one launcher and choice is always better than lousy exclusivity.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'm so sycophant for Steam so I dont care. I would prefer a DRM free version thou. I also normally buy GOTY versions for these types of games as well. The fact that Steam takes 30% for just selling a game is insane. All things being the same, I would prefer to support a developer by buying it off Epic vs Steam. Thou DRM-free would tempt me to go GOG. I hope Epic keeps waving the Money Hammer and getting more exclusives... force Steam to match em at 12% fee vs their current 30% nonsense.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    That looks like legit fun.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I'm so sycophant for Steam so I dont care. I would prefer a DRM free version thou. I also normally buy GOTY versions for these types of games as well. The fact that Steam takes 30% for just selling a game is insane. All things being the same, I would prefer to support a developer by buying it off Epic vs Steam. Thou DRM-free would tempt me to go GOG. I hope Epic keeps waving the Money Hammer and getting more exclusives... force Steam to match em at 12% fee vs their current 30% nonsense.

It is not about Steam and the Epic Games Store, but about monopolies and the free market. It doesn't matter whether I buy a game on Steam or GOG, I can choose where I buy the game. However, Epic Games has taken away that choice for lots of games.
    The Epic Game Store is currently a lousy system that was released far too soon. There are certain features that online stores should have at launch like Shopping Carts and being able to post and see reviews for a specific product that are currently missing on the Epic Games Store. It took 3 months for it to even have a search bar.

With The Outer Worlds if you want to support the developers, then it is far better to buy it from the Microsoft Store since Obsidian is now part of Microsoft. Any game that I want that is an EGS exclusive will either be bought when it no longer becomes an EGS Exclusive or from an alternative store like the Microsoft Store with The Outer Worlds.

Um... I just found a page for The Outer Worlds on Steam. Its not going to stay an exclusive from the looks of it. I think they want to use that game as a launch platform before opening it up to other platforms like Steam. According to the page, it will be available next year through Steam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > It is not about Steam and the Epic Games Store, but about monopolies and the free market. It doesn't matter whether I buy a game on Steam or GOG, I can choose where I buy the game. However, Epic Games has taken away that choice for lots of games.
    > The Epic Game Store is currently a lousy system that was released far too soon. There are certain features that online stores should have at launch like Shopping Carts and being able to post and see reviews for a specific product that are currently missing on the Epic Games Store. It took 3 months for it to even have a search bar.
    >
    > With The Outer Worlds if you want to support the developers, then it is far better to buy it from the Microsoft Store since Obsidian is now part of Microsoft. Any game that I want that is an EGS exclusive will either be bought when it no longer becomes an EGS Exclusive or from an alternative store like the Microsoft Store with The Outer Worlds.

There's that, and there's the fact that Valve has plain gotten lazy with middleman fees for Steam to cover their bills. They've admitted they're mostly not making games anymore (that's right, Half-Life 3 confirmed... DEAD, that is), and frankly I don't really want to reward that if I don't have to.

At least with CD Projekt RED, they're just using GOG.com for financial security and haven't stopped their own game development.

Though I do find it amusing to see freaking MICROSOFT helping break a monopoly. I have the impression they pulled a Vader on the distribution deals after they bought Obsidian and InXile last year. ("I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.")
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    Though I do find it amusing to see freaking MICROSOFT helping break a monopoly. I have the impression they pulled a Vader on the distribution deals after they bought Obsidian and InXile last year. ("I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.")

That's more EA's thing these days.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Um... I just found a page for The Outer Worlds on Steam. Its not going to stay an exclusive from the looks of it. I think they want to use that game as a launch platform before opening it up to other platforms like Steam. According to the page, it will be available next year through Steam.

The Steam store page has always been there since the first announced The Outer Worlds. It was just changed from 2019 to 2020 when it was announced to be an Epic Games Store Timed-Exclusive. Which is what I mentioned in a previous post. As far as I know, the vast majority of exclusives on the Epic Games Store are Timed-Exclusives which will be available between 6 months to a year from the initial launch depending on the deal that Epic Games made with the Game Publisher.

Exclusives can be very bad for the Game Publisher if the terrible game doesn't do well due to a year of reviews and Let's Plays. With it being available on as many stores as possible, there will be far more victims.