test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Winter Tips and Tricks Thread

rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,972 Community Moderator
Ladies and Gentlemen... it is that time of year again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22BUX1UnB4
It is time for the WINTER EVENT! And of course, the annual Community Tips and Tricks thread! Despite someone's attempt to hold a grudge from last year (which shall NOT be discussed here, and respectfully ask that it not be), the doors are opening once again to all veterans who wish to share their wisdom for all!

And this year... after speaking with a fellow forumite, I have decided to expand the thread to include reviews on various pieces of Winter gubbins we can get, such as the nanopulse Bat'leths, snowball guns, kit modules, outfits... ANYTHING we can get during the event short of the ship itself, as... well... we already know people will make a thread about the ship itself so lets not double up.

Race%20track.jpg?dl=1
The first thing to remember is you do not have to run full out the entire race. The marked areas are the best spots for running as they are essentially straight shots. And you can cut a couple corners, but not too much otherwise you will go out of bounds.

And now... fellow Captain... the doors are open. Happy Holidays everyone!
db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I did not catch many of those Kramp'Ihri missions last year....

If someone would not mind going over which weapon I should be switching to (or other effective or silly tactics) would appreciate that.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Not much new this year other than that Fek'hiri smokewagon. I'm looking forward to testing the new kit modules at least.
  • solonar#0525 solonar Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I'm told in the past you could get the fourth breen set item the Cryo-Plasma-Infused Core. Any tips on that? Also, read that you can get a t6 breen ship? How feasible is that?
    sig111_zpsu4di8nom.jpg
    Society of Shadows 18 year Member
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,972 Community Moderator
    I'm told in the past you could get the fourth breen set item the Cryo-Plasma-Infused Core. Any tips on that? Also, read that you can get a t6 breen ship? How feasible is that?

The Breen ships were event ships in the past. Currently only available now through the Phoenix Box, and only as a one off and not account unlock. The Breen Warp Core you can buy for the winter currency items. I believe it enables the use of Cryoplasma, which is a vent ability like Eject Warp Plasma. Also comes at Mk XII Very Rare.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Cryoplasma-Infused_Warp_Core
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    /channel_join grind
    edited December 2018
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    General tip:
    For those wanting to ease the grind of the winter trinkets for event gear, remember that there are holiday themed duty officer assignments at the winter wonderland, each faction hub, and their accompanying academy under the current map tab. Run these in the background and you should be able to have more fun with less burnout if you're looking to pick up a lot across multiple characters. Once you're done with that, you can also keep the holiday duty officer assignments going to build up a reserve to use across the year (particularly useful for training manuals and costumes for new characters) or make a little EC selling the stuff on the exchange (not hugely profitable but it's something for players who are in need.)

For race performance:
    New players may want to keep an eye on gear and traits that increase their run speed if they're finding the daily race a little too tricky for reliable completion. You'll still need to learn the mechanics (double tap movement keys to save yourself from a bad slide) but the extra boost could give you some extra breathing room. After that, then the speed helps complete the event faster and perform better during the competitive race.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Well, I am definitely rusty after a year of no ice racing, that is for sure.

• captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Race%20track.jpg?dl=1
    The first thing to remember is you do not have to run full out the entire race. The marked areas are the best spots for running as they are essentially straight shots. And you can cut a couple corners, but not too much otherwise you will go out of bounds.

And now... fellow Captain... the doors are open. Happy Holidays everyone!

Thank you!
    I'm hoping to use this to help convince the rest of my play group that this race is, in fact, doable.
    captmack68 wrote: »
    Thank you!
    I'm hoping to use this to help convince the rest of my play group that this race is, in fact, doable.

Just be sure to cut in FRONT of the snowman on that first shot. Otherwise you will get disqualified for out of bounds.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Thank you!
    Watch these for more info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6AP1EBjEtc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTky6-whkk4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Now it feels like Chri-er- I mean, the Winter Event! :smiley:
    x1.jpg
    Whoops! Wrong Winter Event. Still, wouldn't we all love a Cryptic Crossover Event? :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Yay, another year, and another thread full of bad advice on how to complete the race. It's simple, hold down both mouse buttons, and hit shift when the race starts. Turn in the opposite direction to slow your momentum, also cut into the snowbanks to slow you down. No need to let up, jump, or perform a tactical somersault.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=

Thanks. Added to my arsenal of persuasion.
    All I've got for my efforts so far are eye-rolls and "Oh, we'll get to see it after you unlock it, like the breen ships" followed by requests to run it for them. :|
    All I've got for my efforts so far are eye-rolls and "Oh, we'll get to see it after you unlock it, like the breen ships" followed by requests to run it for them. :|
    Silly people the race is actually easy... It does take considerable practice to master though. Today I watched a livestream of a guy doing it for the first time. It took him two tries.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Silly people the race is actually easy... It does take considerable practice to master though.
    That's not exactly the definition of "easy" :p
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    it is the definition; there's a reason the phrase 'easy to do, hard to master' exists​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Silly people the race is actually easy... It does take considerable practice to master though. Today I watched a livestream of a guy doing it for the first time. It took him two tries.

Right? Although, to be fair, it doesn't take much to derail a run. Had to make a second attempt in a map with only one other player on it because the Tides of Ice announcement caused just enough of a lag while I rounded a sharp corner.
    the worst announcement is that one when the Krampus run ends with a Pop Up Window that blocks everything.

It is pretty easy to practice on the track too since its always there.
    westmetals wrote: »
    For those asking about the weapons... the Winter Event weapons are, for the most part, simply snow versions of the common energy weapon types.

Hail = dual pistols
    Flurry = full auto rifle
    Impaler = sniper rifle
    etcetera.
    That's simplistic, here's a more in depth version.

Combat wise:
    Simple ones:
    Avalanche and Caramel Assault are basically Blast Assault weapons.
    Flurry is a full-auto rifle.
    Freezing Mist is a Split beam rifle.
    Hail is dual pistols.
    Impaler is a Sniper Rifle.
    Then you have the four melee weapons, Candy Cane Batleth, Lollipop Lirpa, and the swordfish.

Interesting ones:
    Snowblower, short range, primary is single target, secondary is a massive AoE.
    The Big One: primary is a short range AoE, secondary is a long range grenade.
    Unrestricted Aggression, primary is like a full-auto primary, secondary is a sniper shot.

Thematically:
    Snow ball launchers:
    Avalanche, Flurry, Hail

other cold things:
    Freezing Mist, Impaler, Snowblower

Candy themed:
    Caramel assault, all the melee weapons, The Big one.

Then there's Aggression which is a Nerf gun.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    NNNNEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFF!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCbva1HJqVA

Wait a min....are these new Nerf guns?

edited December 2018
    Anyone try out those new Universal Kit Modules???? Torment of the Underworld, Collective Nightmares, Ravaging Barrage?

Collective Nightmares sounds funny!!!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11014213-q's-winter-wonderland!

where2r1 wrote: »

Wait a min....are these new Nerf guns?

You'll have to Google it. For some reason it's not letting me post the link about it.
    For those asking about the weapons... the Winter Event weapons are, for the most part, simply snow versions of the common energy weapon types.

Hail = dual pistols
    Flurry = full auto rifle
    Impaler = sniper rifle
    etcetera.
    That's simplistic, here's a more in depth version.

Combat wise:
    Simple ones:
    Avalanche and Caramel Assault are basically Blast Assault weapons.
    Flurry is a full-auto rifle.
    Freezing Mist is a Split beam rifle.
    Hail is dual pistols.
    Impaler is a Sniper Rifle.
    Then you have the four melee weapons, Candy Cane Batleth, Lollipop Lirpa, and the swordfish.

Interesting ones:
    Snowblower, short range, primary is single target, secondary is a massive AoE.
    The Big One: primary is a short range AoE, secondary is a long range grenade.
    Unrestricted Aggression, primary is like a full-auto primary, secondary is a sniper shot.

Thematically:
    Snow ball launchers:
    Avalanche, Flurry, Hail

other cold things:
    Freezing Mist, Impaler, Snowblower

Candy themed:
    Caramel assault, all the melee weapons, The Big one.

Then there's Aggression which is a Nerf gun.
    Well, yes... the "etcetera" in my post was meant to convey that it was not intended to be a complete list, simply an illustration of the basic statement.
    Yeah, but incomplete information is less useful than complete information. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Anyone try out those new Universal Kit Modules???? Torment of the Underworld, Collective Nightmares, Ravaging Barrage?

Collective Nightmares sounds funny!!!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11014213-q's-winter-wonderland!
    Not yet, but I plan to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.