test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DS9 New Look

marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
edited November 2018 in Ten Forward
603?cb=20160424102456

would you like to see DS9 look something like this in the Picard show and/or STO?

DS9 New Look 24 votes

Yes
8%
garaks31evilmark444 2 votes
No
91%
nightkencoldnapalmtoivabaddmoonrizinkurumimorishitahawku001xmustrumridcully0artan42ryan218dirlettiarattler2valoreahmarkhawkmanstarswordcstartrekronsevenofnine13141mikewest126sthe91snowwolf#0563spiritborn 22 votes

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes
    I never liked the original design of DS9 tbh, so a Federation style refit would be great imho.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    No
    Nope.

That looks like a frickin' Gimble. A little too much like a Federation knockoff of the original, with less docking space.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No
    No. Keep the original Nor type or replace it with a standard Federation mushroom. There was no excuse for this design at all.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    No
    artan42 wrote: »
    No. Keep the original Nor type or replace it with a standard Federation mushroom. There was no excuse for this design at all.​​
    I agree if you're gonna replace it, then replace it, don't make a off-brand knock-off of the orginal.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Something similar to the Starbase Yorktown from Star Trek Beyond would be far more interesting than this unoriginal monstrosity.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No
    starkaos wrote: »
    Something similar to the Starbase Yorktown from Star Trek Beyond would be far more interesting than this unoriginal monstrosity.

Agreed. There is no logical reason for Starfleet to adopt a Cardassian station design and "Starfleetize" it, if they have perfectly workable stations already.

The DS9 replacement model is basically one of the failed designs from the concept phase, and I think it was failed for good reason.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Agreed. There is no logical reason for Starfleet to adopt a Cardassian station design and "Starfleetize" it, if they have perfectly workable stations already.

The DS9 replacement model is basically one of the failed designs from the concept phase, and I think it was failed for good reason.

There is the problem that DS9 was originally an ore processing station. So while DS9 might have done an adequate job for ore processing, it had a lot of problems for being a trading station. Any replacement based on that design would just create a huge problem since it is not properly designed. The only reason why someone would go with that design is for political reasons instead of practical ones. DS9 was originally a symbol of oppression that turned into a symbol of hope. So that could be the reason why the new DS9 is a Starfleet version of DS9.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No
    That's not really a good reason to revamp it into THIS though...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    No
    If the station itself was that important they'd just rebuild it or drag Empok Nor into the same place. Not build a new station that has some vaguely similar pointless bar things on it.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Hey, I know! Let's build a similar-looking space station to handle the increased merchant traffic in the area, and let's give it six fewer large vessel docking ports!
    brian334 wrote: »
    Hey, I know! Let's build a similar-looking space station to handle the increased merchant traffic in the area, and let's give it six fewer large vessel docking ports!

With transporters, are docking ports even necessary? It seems like the 24th Century has accepted or ignores the reality that transporters disintegrates the original and creates a copy at the destination.
    No
    Transporters aren't an end all mode of getting around. Its a convenience. Also... they go down for maintenance, what are you going to do? Swim over through space to an airlock? Not only that... sometimes you do need to dock with something to do repairs. You can't just beam a replacement nacelle or warp core in place.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    No
    Which method runs the risk of creating an evil clone of you, transporter or docking arms.

#TASforSTO

No
    If the station itself was that important they'd just rebuild it or drag Empok Nor into the same place. Not build a new station that has some vaguely similar pointless bar things on it.​​
    Also it'd be a good excuse for the Bajorans to build something they don't think is hideously ugly. I'm actually kinda curious what a Bajoran design would look like.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I imagine the Pearly Gates motif is already taken...
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    No
    Why does there have to be just one station? The Wormhole is a MAJOR exploration hub so I would think that everyone would want a base on at least one side. Perhaps have large base built with the cooperation of all the major powers in the Galaxy (Federation, Romulan, Klingon, Dominion, Kazon, etc) to act like our International Space Station.

"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    No
    The only reason they replaced the station in the novels was because it got sabotaged for the umpteenth time and actually blew up this time. And the new version is fugly.
    Why does there have to be just one station? The Wormhole is a MAJOR exploration hub so I would think that everyone would want a base on at least one side. Perhaps have large base built with the cooperation of all the major powers in the Galaxy (Federation, Romulan, Klingon, Dominion, Kazon, etc) to act like our International Space Station.

The wormhole isn't just an exploration hub, it's also a major trade juncture as well as a critical strategic (military) passage. And it and the station are territorial possessions of the Republic of Bajor, which is a member state of the Federation.

(Also, the Kazon a major power? The people who don't know you can make water from hydrogen and oxygen? XD)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    (Also, the Kazon a major power? The people who don't know you can make water from hydrogen and oxygen? XD)

What do you expect from an alien race that obtained all their technology by stealing from their former masters and others. There have been a few science fiction stories where technology became a religion. Various acolytes of the religion learn how to make and repair equipment by performing various rituals, but they don't understand how it works. With the Kazon, they could have been taught how to make and repair equipment, but not how it works. However, it is likely that the method to create equipment is compartmentalized to keep the Kazon unable to make weapons until after they obtained their freedom.

Then there is the problem that even the Borg rejected the Kazon for assimilation and the Borg have very low standards for assimilation.

No
    There have been a few science fiction stories where technology became a religion. Various acolytes of the religion learn how to make and repair equipment by performing various rituals, but they don't understand how it works.

Warhammer 40k comes to mind, specifically the Imperium and the belief in Machine Spirits and having to pray to them or something while doing things like cleaning a lazrifle.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There have been a few science fiction stories where technology became a religion. Various acolytes of the religion learn how to make and repair equipment by performing various rituals, but they don't understand how it works.

Warhammer 40k comes to mind, specifically the Imperium and the belief in Machine Spirits and having to pray to them or something while doing things like cleaning a lazrifle.

I was actually thinking of the Foundation series by Asimov. I have limited experience with the Warhammer 40k series. The only things I remember about the Imperium is that the emperor is immortal, it is an extremely brutal place, and their version of FTL travel is extremely dangerous.
    No
    Well... it gets even worse honestly. The Imperium's idea of tactics is if it doesn't involve Space Marines... just throw bodies at the problem until it is solved. If it does involve Space Marines... problem solved. Also... ANY alien technology is HERESY and must be destroyed because it is an affront to the Machine Spirits, even if it outperforms Imperium equivelents. Also rampant Xenophobia is pretty much the norm in the Imperium. If it ain't human, or even pure human... it is evil.

Also the general lifespan of an Imperial Guardsman is pretty much seconds as soon as their boots hit the ground, and they're equipped with pretty much cardboard armor and glorified flashlights when compared to equivelent soldiers from other factions.

Oh yea... and you can be executed for Heresy if you so much as touch an alien weapon to save hundreds of lives. A crack sniper, who in any other organization would have been given medals for bravery, was executed for using a Tau weapon to kill something big that threatened hundreds of civilians.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    No
    starswordc wrote: »

What do you expect from an alien race that obtained all their technology by stealing from their former masters and others. There have been a few science fiction stories where technology became a religion. Various acolytes of the religion learn how to make and repair equipment by performing various rituals, but they don't understand how it works. With the Kazon, they could have been taught how to make and repair equipment, but not how it works. However, it is likely that the method to create equipment is compartmentalized to keep the Kazon unable to make weapons until after they obtained their freedom.

Then there is the problem that even the Borg rejected the Kazon for assimilation and the Borg have very low standards for assimilation.
    Sometimes a thing breaks, it can't be fixed.

How do they make more of their technology, hmm? There's only so many times you can patch something before you need a replacement part. As it stands, I'm decent at troubleshooting my car and my motorcycles, just enough to do routine maintenance and be able to tell what part is broken and replace it, but I don't have the knowledge (or equipment, or materials) to manufacture, say, a new voltage regulator for my '83 GR650 (a piece so prone to breaking, BTW, that my mechanic tossed the stock unit and jury-rigged one from an 800cc bike).

And that's with comparatively simple 20th century electronics, not computers that can navigate a ship at warp speed. Some repairs, even Geordi needs a shipyard for.

TL;DR: The Kazons' stupidity is such that their continued existence comes solely from writer fiat.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    No
    The Kazon ARE a major power though since they control massive amounts of territory and resources. And yes, they DO actually manufacture their own stuff. In fact not all of their tech is stuff they stole. Yes, they have certain technical limitations that are weird, but some of that seems to be because the race they stole most of their tech from didn't have it either!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hawkeyenfo117hawkeyenfo117 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I haven't read that much about this new Picard show. Can someone link to where this design comes from? Who came up with it? Thanks!
    I haven't read that much about this new Picard show. Can someone link to where this design comes from? Who came up with it? Thanks!

It is part of the novel universe which features the Typhon Pact and the destruction of the Borg Collective.