test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The next Reboot movies in the 2020s

civetenciveten Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited December 2018 in Ten Forward
I know that the next movies are somewhere in the 2020s and I don't know which year it would be in that decade.
Post edited by civeten on

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Shouldn't this be in Ten Forward since it has nothing to do with STO?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Reboot? Hmmm that was an animated series straight out of the 80s... I do wonder what Megabyte and Hexadecimal have been up to since then... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Reboot? Hmmm that was an animated series straight out of the 80s... I do wonder what Megabyte and Hexadecimal have been up to since then... :p

Do you mean it feels like an animated series straight out of the 80s or it was straight out of the 80s? Reboot originally aired in 1994 and the last movie was in 2001. Then there was the Reboot reboot on Netflix which is a complete blasphemy to Reboot. The only interaction with the real world in Reboot should be dealing the aftermath of the User instead of some Tron ripoff.

The OP could be a lot clearer in their post since there are far too many reboot movies recently that have nothing to do with Reboot.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Law of averages says there will be at least one film in the 20s decade that is a franchise reboot.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    If Paramount goes broke, does CBS get the Reboot Movies rights? Or will whoever buys Paramount?

I'm not sure anyone will buy the 10-15 billion worth of debt that Paramount holds, so it may just go the way of the dodo. In which case there will be court-ordered auctions of assets to settle the creditor's accounts, meaning any residuals from the 2009 reboot series will go into paying off lawyers for... well, forever.

I'm not certain ST 4(r) will ever get made, especially with Chris Pine bailing when they told him there would be severely reduced salaries. In fact, they were so generous with the severely reduced salaries that it looks like everyone may bail.

So we may get an entirely new reboot of the reboot, at best. Maybe it's time to see another crew on another ship. Hey, I know! The Reboot Universe version of Picard taking command of Stargazer!

"Number One, make it so... with Lens Flare!"
    If you're referring to Star Trek then the franchise has never been rebooted and with one currently airing series and two further series and a couple of films on the way it will no be rebooted any time soon either.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »
    If you're referring to Star Trek then the franchise has never been rebooted and with one currently airing series and two further series and a couple of films on the way it will no be rebooted any time soon either.

Star Trek 2009 is a TOS reboot. After all, Prime Kirk never commanded the Enterprise in 2255 and prime Spock was never in a relationship with prime Uhura.
    edited December 2018
    starkaos wrote: »

Star Trek 2009 is a TOS reboot. After all, Prime Kirk never commanded the Enterprise in 2255 and prime Spock was never in a relationship with prime Uhura.

That you know of. Spock didn't talk about his family, what makes you think he's going to talk about who helps him get through his pon farr every seven year or so?

A good case can be made that Spock and Uhura had a thing going. Spock playing his harp-thingy in the rec room for Uhura to sing, and later Uhura playing with Spock's instrument in the rec room, Uhura flirting with Spock on the bridge, and even, when Sulu was playing D'Artagnan. Sulu grabbed Uhura, pulled her to him, and said, "I'll protect you, fair maiden," she flat out denied the acusation! And all through TOS, the only one we see Uhura flirt with is Spock.

So, it's out there.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Word of Demigod: Nichelle Nichols and Leonard Nimoy said they played that rec-room scene as if Spock and Uhura had had a relationship, but it had recently ended amicably.

However, the '09 movie wasn't a "reboot" so much as an offshoot, a "what-if?" style tale in the same sense as the Earth X trilogy in Marvel Comics (alternate future in which almost everyone gets superpowers; society begins to decay as the new Red Skull, a kid with immense mind-control powers, begins subverting everyone on the west coast of the US into his army; in later volumes, we learn why this is happening, why it's a bad thing, and why Galactus isn't such a bad guy after all). One key distinction is that when a series is rebooted, it's generally over and done with (cf Battlestar Galactica, recent discussions of a Charmed reboot), while the original Trek timeline is still (despite some whining from "fans") an ongoing concern.

I hadn't heard anything about another reboot of ReBoot, but as an occasional watcher of the original, I'd be interested in seeing a new version with more-modern CGI, so long as they stuck with the classic conceit of the inhabitants of a virtual reality who have to deal with all the different games that happen (you could even have occasional "real" people in there, as players in MMOs, which don't just appear and then disappear like the old Game Cubes that used to drop in).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    brian334 wrote: »

That you know of. Spock didn't talk about his family, what makes you think he's going to talk about who helps him get through his pon farr every seven year or so?

A good case can be made that Spock and Uhura had a thing going. Spock playing his harp-thingy in the rec room for Uhura to sing, and later Uhura playing with Spock's instrument in the rec room, Uhura flirting with Spock on the bridge, and even, when Sulu was playing D'Artagnan. Sulu grabbed Uhura, pulled her to him, and said, "I'll protect you, fair maiden," she flat out denied the acusation! And all through TOS, the only one we see Uhura flirt with is Spock.

So, it's out there.

Possible, but if it is not seen on the show, then it is not canon. Star Trek 2009 takes places about 10 years before TOS. So it is more likely for Spock in Star Trek 2009 to have more similarities between the Spock in Season 2 of Discovery rather than TOS Spock. So it could have been a one-sided love affair in TOS while it was an actual romance in Star Trek 2009.

No.

2009 is a alternate timline that covers events that happen in the prime timline at (mostly) earlier dates. As the beginning of the film and the future scenes of the film both take place in the same timeline as the rest of the Franchise and it uses pre-existing alternate timeline creation from the rest of the franchise it's no more a reboot than 'Mirror Mirror' was.

Reboots are new continuities, 09 is not new, it is tied into the rest of the franchise.​​

#TASforSTO

No.

2009 is a alternate timline that covers events that happen in the prime timline at (mostly) earlier dates. As the beginning of the film and the future scenes of the film both take place in the same timeline as the rest of the Franchise and it uses pre-existing alternate timeline creation from the rest of the franchise it's no more a reboot than 'Mirror Mirror' was.

Reboots are new continuities, 09 is not new, it is tied into the rest of the franchise.​​

It doesn't matter if it originally takes place in the original timeline or not. The definition of reboot is not as stringent as some people think.

According to Cambridge Dictionary, "to start something again or do something again, in a way that is new and interesting:"

According to Dictionary.com, "to produce a distinctly new version of (an established media franchise, as a film, TV show, video game, or comic book)."

According to Oxford Dictionary, "Restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television programmes); give fresh impetus to."

Another definition is "In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning. The term is used with respect to various different forms of fictional media such as comic books, television series, video games and films among others." Since TOS started in 2265 and Star Trek 2009 started in 2233 and recreates the characters of TOS in new ways and has a different timeline and backstory, then Star Trek 2009 is a TOS Reboot.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Except that the Kelvin Timeline did NOT discard ALL continuity. It didn't discard anything at all. It BRANCHED off into an alternate reality. Its even pointed out in the 09 movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMK0qLVt0UU

Uhura spells it out right there when she says ALTERNATE REALITY.

Everything we know still exists. We just have a branced off reality. If it had discarded all continuity, then why do we have Discovery in the Prime Universe? Why are we getting the upcoming Picard series set in the Prime Universe?

The Kelvin Timeline has something that another franchise didn't. Established alternate realities. Battlestar Galactica was a true reboot, as it did everything that you said. The Kelvin Timeline did not, and actually follows a thread that has existed in Star Trek since the first episode with the Mirror Universe. Alternate realities allow for new stories without dumping what came before. If it had... the scene with KT Spock looking over a picture of Prime Spock and the crew of the Enterprise-A (probably taken during the filming of ST6) wouldn't exist. Hell... Prime Spock probably wouldn't exist because it is an element of the Prime Universe that, in a true reboot, would not exist as, using your definitions, it would have to have been discarded in favor of the new continuity.

Hell... there are several points in the 09 movie where the differences are highlighted. Kirk asks Prime Spock if in the other universe he knew his father, and Spock replies that George Kirk was an inspiration to Jim Kirk to join Starfleet, and saw him become Captain of the Enterprise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

No.

Reboots are new continuities, 09 is not new, it is tied into the rest of the franchise.

It doesn't matter if it originally takes place in the original timeline or not. The definition of reboot is not as stringent as some people think.

According to Cambridge Dictionary, "to start something again or do something again, in a way that is new and interesting:"

According to Dictionary.com, "to produce a distinctly new version of (an established media franchise, as a film, TV show, video game, or comic book)."

According to Oxford Dictionary, "Restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television programmes); give fresh impetus to."

Another definition is "In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning. The term is used with respect to various different forms of fictional media such as comic books, television series, video games and films among others." Since TOS started in 2265 and Star Trek 2009 started in 2233 and recreates the characters of TOS in new ways and has a different timeline and backstory, then Star Trek 2009 is a TOS Reboot.

Yeah. You can't read, hear dialogue, or see images can you? 09 is in the same continuity as the rest of the franchise, it's not a reboot.​​

#TASforSTO

No.

Reboots are new continuities, 09 is not new, it is tied into the rest of the franchise.

Yeah. You can't read, hear dialogue, or see images can you? 09 is in the same continuity as the rest of the franchise, it's not a reboot.​​

Just because you insist it is not a reboot doesn't mean it is not a reboot. It is not in the same continuity, it is in a completely different timeline. The only continuity it shares with the rest of the franchise is possibly before the events in 2233 and the memories of Nero's crew and Spock. Time travel in the Kelvin Alternate Reality has been completely reset so time travel events for the rest of the franchise has been completely erased and new time travel events have happened. So it is likely that the events before 2233 have been changed as well.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Except that the Kelvin Timeline did NOT discard ALL continuity. It didn't discard anything at all. It BRANCHED off into an alternate reality. Its even pointed out in the 09 movie!

Uhura spells it out right there when she says ALTERNATE REALITY.

Everything we know still exists. We just have a branced off reality. If it had discarded all continuity, then why do we have Discovery in the Prime Universe? Why are we getting the upcoming Picard series set in the Prime Universe?

The Kelvin Timeline has something that another franchise didn't. Established alternate realities. Battlestar Galactica was a true reboot, as it did everything that you said. The Kelvin Timeline did not, and actually follows a thread that has existed in Star Trek since the first episode with the Mirror Universe. Alternate realities allow for new stories without dumping what came before. If it had... the scene with KT Spock looking over a picture of Prime Spock and the crew of the Enterprise-A (probably taken during the filming of ST6) wouldn't exist. Hell... Prime Spock probably wouldn't exist because it is an element of the Prime Universe that, in a true reboot, would not exist as, using your definitions, it would have to have been discarded in favor of the new continuity.

Hell... there are several points in the 09 movie where the differences are highlighted. Kirk asks Prime Spock if in the other universe he knew his father, and Spock replies that George Kirk was an inspiration to Jim Kirk to join Starfleet, and saw him become Captain of the Enterprise.

And how is any Reboot different from an Alternate Reality? Each reboot has to be a new interpretation of the original so it has to keep elements similar to it. We can't have a Batman Reboot or Spiderman Reboot without Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker. Also, who decided that we can't have the original franchise and the rebooted franchise happening at the same time?

According to TV Tropes's Continuity Reboot page, "It should be mentioned though, that reboots don't necessarily replace the originals, and they would may be created to entertain people by category, such as adults, teenagers, to children, while another reason a reboot could be made is that the original is bad, and should be remade to better quality, or just simply made as a different version to be made alongside the original." There is also the Alternate Continuity and the Alternate Timeline TV Tropes, but that is specific types of reboots.

There is also the issue that Star Trek 2009 and the other new movies was the only Star Trek between 2009 to 2017. So even though the other series were supposed to still exist, the new Star Trek movies was the main Star Trek until Discovery came along. So it could be claimed that Star Trek 2009 rebooted Star Trek and Discovery rebooted Star Trek again since Discovery is distinctly different from Star Trek 2009.
    By that argument... EVERY new Trek series is a reboot. So TNG was a reboot, DS9 was a reboot, Voyager was a reboot, Enterprise was a reboot...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    So, the episode of TOS in which Spock was a full Commander rather than a Lt Cdr was a reboot of the series? As was the first time they switched from the turtlenecks in the second pilot to the black-collar design? And when they ditched the goddamvelour tunics for something more washable? Or when the crew of the Enterprise went from "200 souls" to "a crew of over 400"?

You're setting the bar for "reboot" pretty low here, Starkaos...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    rattler2 wrote: »
    By that argument... EVERY new Trek series is a reboot. So TNG was a reboot, DS9 was a reboot, Voyager was a reboot, Enterprise was a reboot...

Except that TNG and DS9 and DS9 and Voyager took place at the same time with at least one crossover episode.
    The word is not as important as the issue you guys have made of it might imply. Whether 2009 was a reboot or not is unimportant, for several reasons:

1) It is an Alternate Reality. Nothing that happens in the Alternate Reality impacts the Prime Reality.
    2) Prime Universe means something totally different to CBS than it does to you. It is a way to distinguish for legal reasons what Paramount is licensed to do. Paramount has an Alternate Reality License, while CBS has Prime, which includes everything else we've ever seen on Trek. Mirror universe? Prime. The reality Daniels brought Archer to where everyone was dead? Prime. The reality where Bones mucked up and everything got erased until the Guardian of Forever sent Kirk back to stop Bones from saving Joan Collins from getting run over by the Great Gatsby? Prime. If it's not Paramount's Alternate Reality, it's CBS' Prime Reality, no matter which universe, or timeline, it's in.
    3) Whether there was a reboot, restart, reimagining, or whatever you want to call it, or whether it was simply a case of a different artistic interpretation of an imaginary future, the existence of Discovery or 2009 doesn't change a single thing in the TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, or Ent episodes you know and love. (I'll argue the CGI 'upgrades' did in fact, change them, but I got voted down on that because it's 'better' with newer CGI, so, there you go.)

So, while an interesting exercise in pedantry, the fact of the new stuff in no way invalidates the old stuff. Individuals may decide what they prefer, and I say IDIC.
  • civetenciveten Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I've done some research on the Wikipedia that there will be new directors for the fourth and fifth movies. S. J. Clarkson will direct the fourth movie and Quentin Tarantino will direct the fifth movie and make it and make it an R-rated movie.
    brian334 wrote: »
    The word is not as important as the issue you guys have made of it might imply. Whether 2009 was a reboot or not is unimportant, for several reasons:

1) It is an Alternate Reality. Nothing that happens in the Alternate Reality impacts the Prime Reality.
    2) Prime Universe means something totally different to CBS than it does to you. It is a way to distinguish for legal reasons what Paramount is licensed to do. Paramount has an Alternate Reality License, while CBS has Prime, which includes everything else we've ever seen on Trek. Mirror universe? Prime. The reality Daniels brought Archer to where everyone was dead? Prime. The reality where Bones mucked up and everything got erased until the Guardian of Forever sent Kirk back to stop Bones from saving Joan Collins from getting run over by the Great Gatsby? Prime. If it's not Paramount's Alternate Reality, it's CBS' Prime Reality, no matter which universe, or timeline, it's in.
    3) Whether there was a reboot, restart, reimagining, or whatever you want to call it, or whether it was simply a case of a different artistic interpretation of an imaginary future, the existence of Discovery or 2009 doesn't change a single thing in the TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, or Ent episodes you know and love. (I'll argue the CGI 'upgrades' did in fact, change them, but I got voted down on that because it's 'better' with newer CGI, so, there you go.)

So, while an interesting exercise in pedantry, the fact of the new stuff in no way invalidates the old stuff. Individuals may decide what they prefer, and I say IDIC.

Then there is the issue that we don't even know what Reboot movie the OP is talking about. Some people might have an issue about the OP saying "The Next Star Trek Reboot Movie in the 2020s", but everyone would be clear about what they meant. After all, there has been far too many reboot movies in the last few years and some people want a decent Reboot movie instead of that Netflix garbage. So there it is possible that there will be a reboot movie that we want to see, a Star Trek reboot movie, and a Reboot movie happening in the 2020s. Personally, I would find it interesting if a Back to the Future Reboot is done where they travel from 2020 to 1990 and 2020 to 2050 where they have hoverboards, flying cars, and Mr. Fusion.
    edited December 2018
    Back To the Future was, in my opinion, very much a movie of its times, and remaking it today would be uncomfortable at best.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    @starkaos I'm always impressed how you manage to quote peoples points and respond to nothing they've raised in said quotes and instead just reply to what you imagined they wrote.

09 is in the same continuity as TOS. Spock is the same Spock, the destroyed Romulus is the same Romulus, the picture of the TOS crew Spock has with him is the same TOS crew as in TOS (well the films anyway). Any character born prior to 2233 is the same characters as they are in TOS.
    Your usual wittering about quantum stuff is meaningless because continuity is a meta concept not an in-universe thing. Kirk brining whales back to the future does not mean there's now a continuity error with the beginning of the film where he said they no longer have whales, it means time has been changed. 09 is still in continuity regardless of what happened to time because reboot is a meta term not an in-universe term.

On the CW the character of Green Arrow exists on both Earth 1 and on Earth X. On Earth X he has a different past and so on. Earth X is not a reboot of Earth 1, it is a different universe inside that same series.

On Smallville the character of Green Arrow existed. This is not the same Green Arrow as the one on the CW, this is because the one on the CW is a reboot of the one on Smallville.

Because Smallville and the so called 'Arrowverse' are different franchises any characters appearing from one series (namly the extinct Smallville) on the other have been rebooted. However as all the 53 Earths in the 'Arrowverse' are all the same franchise any characters appearing multiple times have not been rebooted.

Same with Star Trek, else your dodgy reasoning leads to Mirror Mirror being a reboot and at that point you're just using words for the sake of using words regardless of their meaning.​​

#TASforSTO

valoreah wrote: »
    Star Trek 2009 is a TOS reboot.

No it isn't. It established the Kelvin timeline, which is separate from the Prime universe. It did not discard all previous continuity from each established series.

A reboot doesn't require discarding all previous continuity from each established series. In fact, reboots don't usually discard all previous continuity, but just ignore it or adds pieces of it as easter eggs to fans of the original. However, the only continuity from the established series in Star Trek 2009 amounts to old Spock, Kirk's parents, and the Vulcan Science Academy. We have the same TOS characters 10 years before TOS is set, on a modified version of an Enterprise, and a completely different story that never happened in the original. If Star Trek 2009 had a completely new crew and ship, then it would not be a reboot. So besides the presence of old Spock, how is Star Trek 2009 different from any of the other reboot movies?
    Another definition is "In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

Your own words.

The Kelvin Timeline doesn't discard anything. It builds on a concept, in this case alternate realities as first seen in the TOS Mirror Universe episode, and branches off.

And as people have pointed out...
    09 is in the same continuity as TOS. Spock is the same Spock, the destroyed Romulus is the same Romulus, the picture of the TOS crew Spock has with him is the same TOS crew as in TOS (well the films anyway). Any character born prior to 2233 is the same characters as they are in TOS.
    No it isn't. It established the Kelvin timeline, which is separate from the Prime universe. It did not discard all previous continuity from each established series.

If it was a full reboot, we wouldn't have Prime Spock in it because he is an element of the old continuity that would have been replaced. He was not an easter egg, he was a full on established character.

Further evidence that it is not a reboot is the current existance of Star Trek Discovery (which can be considered a VISUAL reboot due to not looking like it was made in the 60s) and the upcoming Picard series. BOTH taking place in the previously established continuity of the Prime Universe. If the Kelvin Timeline was a full on reboot... then both these shows would not be possible.

50b2c5f4ab6ab247825153226a536f3b.jpg
    This looks a lot closer to this...
    latest?cb=20171022133400&path-prefix=en
    Than it does this...
    LZW7fUI.jpg

You know... I just thought of something... the Discovery Connie may be related to this in a way...
    2b2e9f85c5fefe99341ebbf2402af0f413fa7043.jpg
    What WOULD have been the refit before TMP's refit design.
    A reboot doesn't require discarding all previous continuity from each established series.

"In serial fiction, a reboot is a new start in an established fictional universe, work, or series that discards all continuity in order to recreate its characters, plotlines and backstory from the beginning."

Not sure you understand the concept of what a reboot is...

There are far too many different definitions to reboots which my posts proved which makes the definition for a reboot vague and confusing. Only one definition I found says discards all continuity while the others don't mention it or mentions that it is not always the case. However, most reboots seem to ignore continuity from previous versions rather than discard it.

According to Oxford Dictionary, "Restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television programmes); give fresh impetus to.

According to TV Tropes's Continuity Reboot page, "It should be mentioned though, that reboots don't necessarily replace the originals, and they would may be created to entertain people by category, such as adults, teenagers, to children, while another reason a reboot could be made is that the original is bad, and should be remade to better quality, or just simply made as a different version to be made alongside the original."

Then there is the Continuity Rebooter page from TV Tropes.
    Sometimes, creators want to give their long-running series a fresh start, so they decide to make a Continuity Reboot. However, they sometimes don't want to just make a completely new reality for their series, instead making the reboot an actual part of the continuing storyline. In cases like this, one tool the creators have is to use a character to explain the reboot. Hence, the Continuity Rebooter.

A Continuity Rebooter is a character who, by some form of applied phlebotinum, causes either an Alternate Continuity to a work to be formed or the current continuity to be replaced with a new one. The character, whether intentionally or accidentally, changes his reality in such a way that the world becomes a fundamentally different place.

However, this trope doesn't refer to a character doing this as part of an Elseworld or What If? story, as those are non-canonical. It's also not any event which just lasts a little while and is eliminated with a Snap Back or the use of the Reset Button. A Continuity Rebooter must cause a long-lasting change in the series' continuity or create a long-lasting and well-explored alternate continuity to qualify, and that change must be part of the main canon. A series revolving around Time Travel doesn't count, since, well, that is a fundamental part of the plot (so no, Back to the Future isn't an example). However, a series that doesn't normally involve time travel and uses it as a device to change continuity would count if the change sticks.

Another factor in a character being a Continuity Rebooter is that the Continuity Reboot is NOT a complete one. The previous continuity is not wholly discarded, simply modified radically. In fact, a major plot point common to Continuity Rebooters is that the Rebooter remembers the previous reality. This also allows the series' creators to bring back fan-favorite characters and ideas from the previous reality to the new one, or even to bring the old reality back wholly (although never immediately). The new reality depends on the events of the previous one to exist, it's not invented wholecloth (like, say, an Ultimate Universe).

A character is a Continuity Rebooter if:
    • a Continuity Reboot or Alternate Universe is formed,
    • the reboot can be specifically attributed to the character's actions,
    • the previous continuity is not wholly discarded and the new reality depends on events from the previous one, and
    • the change sticks and is not immediately eliminated.
    Usually, the character's mucking with the series' continuity is the plot behind a Crisis Crossover, and he uses the Timey-Wimey Ball or some kind of magic or cosmic plot device for the change. The character can alternatively be a Reality Warper who somehow changes his universe's events.

The definition of Continuity Rebooter is a perfect match for old Spock and Nero in Star Trek 2009. So if someone disagrees with Star Trek 2009 is a reboot, then what is it?

Preboot could apply to Star Trek 2009 which is "an increasingly common variation on the Continuity Reboot, the Preboot is a prequel to an existing story or franchise that spins off into an Alternate Continuity before too long." According to Hollwood.com, "Fan expectations is Hollywood’s biggest hurdle to concocting new and improved versions of well-known properties. On one hand, they can’t cater to them — a movie has to play to the widest audience possible. But angry fans are often the loudest, and negative buzz permeates. That’s why there’s no better creative weapon than a “preboot.” Think J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek or the recent X-Men: First Class. A preboot acknowledges the established history of a property, a respectful nod to diehards, while paving over it with a new creative direction. Time travel is a preboot’s best friend."

So we can just call Star Trek 2009 as a weird Reboot or use a term that is almost a Reboot without being a Reboot.