test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FTC Agrees to Investigate Lootboxes

Comments

  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,379 Arc User
    Want to know what comes of this?

    Nothing... that's what...

    Why do I say this? Because politicians prefer to talk a lot, but not make an impact, because that way they'd have to take some kind of responsibility.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 46,570 Arc User
    Getting tired of seeing people bring this up...

    Every time this subject comes up... I feel like its calling DOOOOM honestly. *facedesk*
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • monodosomonodoso Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Getting tired of seeing people bring this up...

    Every time this subject comes up... I feel like its calling DOOOOM honestly. *facedesk*
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.

    You will be fine. Just buy more keys for lockboxes
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 4,704 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Getting tired of seeing people bring this up...

    Every time this subject comes up... I feel like its calling DOOOOM honestly. *facedesk*
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.

    I don't think it's about DOOOOM! It's more about, what are the alternatives to giving us premium content if something like this was to pass? As more and more parents don't pay attention to what their kids do, this is going to go get brought up as a way for parents to blame anyone else but themselves when their kids spend hundreds of dollars inside of GTA V and other games.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,859 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Yes, because Senators and the Federal Trade Commission would rather discuss fluff about video games and control what adult people try to do (pssstttt...they can't)...than tackle something more real. Let's hope to god it is because they are in a Holiday Mood.

    OH I am sure they will figure out a way to TAX us all for it.

    They don't wanna look like they are getting moola from gambling establishments (psstttt...they probably already do). But a few payoffs from gaming companies (pssttt...the eye of the government is on you).
    And taxes on gamers (pssstttt...they think we are really just addicts, anyways...and totally can't control ourselves...) Why not take their cut somewhere???

    LOL!

    Why is this topic even in General Discussion?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • monodosomonodoso Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

    Why is this topic even in General Discussion?

    Who knows
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 10,611 Arc User
    Then there is the issue of should the government bother with the idiotic choices that people make. As long as it doesn't affect me, then why should I or anyone else care that someone spends thousands of dollars on a video game or eats unhealthy, but tasty food. Recreational drugs do affect other people due to the health and social problems caused by them, but the taxes collected from recreational drugs could be used to treat any health problems caused by the recreational drugs.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.

    ^ Agreed. TBH my guess is that companies like EA will be impacted the most - and rightfully so IMO.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 46,570 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    ^ Agreed. TBH my guess is that companies like EA will be impacted the most - and rightfully so IMO.

    The problem is though, that everyone seems to see it as "all or nothing". Which for some dumb reason is the attitude towards gun control. Any attempt at finding a middle ground is immediately percieved as "anti", and attacked viciously.

    Anyways... enough of that comparison. I'm just tired of people bringing this up in general and making it sound like the end of the world or something.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Want to know what comes of this?

    Nothing... that's what...

    Why do I say this? Because politicians prefer to talk a lot, but not make an impact, because that way they'd have to take some kind of responsibility.

    They are already illegal in a lot of countries and I sincerely hope the list gets longer.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    They are already illegal in a lot of countries and I sincerely hope the list gets longer.

    You say this, however are you willing to pay for access to content expansions? PWE/Cryptic would need to replace lost income from Lockboxes somehow.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 4,704 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    They are already illegal in a lot of countries and I sincerely hope the list gets longer.

    You say this, however are you willing to pay for access to content expansions? PWE/Cryptic would need to replace lost income from Lockboxes somehow.

    As a lifer sinc ehte end of the open beta. I would gladly pay for expansions I felt were worth while. I would much rather vote with my wallet when it comes to the Discovery content, which might actually make them think twice about ramming it down our throats. It might actually give the players more of a say in the content they choose to focus on in the future.
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.

    ^ Agreed. TBH my guess is that companies like EA will be impacted the most - and rightfully so IMO.

    Are you saying that the government will do something in a smart an informed manner? Really? In what reality do you live in...because it ain't this one.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Are you saying that the government will do something in a smart an informed manner? Really? In what reality do you live in...because it ain't this one.

    They do have their moments of clarity every once in a great while lol.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    As a lifer sinc ehte end of the open beta. I would gladly pay for expansions I felt were worth while. I would much rather vote with my wallet when it comes to the Discovery content, which might actually make them think twice about ramming it down our throats. It might actually give the players more of a say in the content they choose to focus on in the future.

    Same here. I only ask because some folk seem to be under the impression that if lockboxes go away, game developers will just shrug their shoulders and not even attempt to replace the lost income and rely on subscriptions and other microtransactions.


    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Are you saying that the government will do something in a smart an informed manner? Really? In what reality do you live in...because it ain't this one.

    They do have their moments of clarity every once in a great while lol.

    And what makes you think this will be one of those rare moments? Instead of the usually do nothing...or ban everything...or even worse, ban the GOOD stuff while letting the preditory major corps get away with everything moments? And let's be honest, that last one is the most likely of the three options that normally happens.
  • thunderfoot006thunderfoot006 Member Posts: 4,063 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    As a lifer since the end of the open beta. I would gladly pay for expansions I felt were worth while. I would much rather vote with my wallet when it comes to the Discovery content, which might actually make them think twice about ramming it down our throats. It might actually give the players more of a say in the content they choose to focus on in the future.

    Sorry. Late to the party. I'm confused by this thread. Are we supposed to be hating on Lockboxes or Discovery content here?
    Please tell me what to think. I need someone to decide for me. So I can show others what a good person I really am by hating on the correct thing here.

    Because hating on the wrong thing would make me a...a very bad person.
    Image4.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 10,611 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Are you saying that the government will do something in a smart an informed manner? Really? In what reality do you live in...because it ain't this one.

    They do have their moments of clarity every once in a great while lol.

    And usually it involves a lot of kicking, screaming, and bashing heads.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    And what makes you think this will be one of those rare moments?

    Never said anything of the sort.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    And what makes you think this will be one of those rare moments?

    Never said anything of the sort.

    Than how is what you said to rattler2 even remotely truthful? As you said...
    valoreah wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Go after the jerks who purposefully tailor the boxes to push people into getting them in order to keep up, like EA. Games like STO and TF2 do it right in that they are not necessary to stay competative or to progress in any way.

    ^ Agreed. TBH my guess is that companies like EA will be impacted the most - and rightfully so IMO.

    Because if you don't think they they will actually do the smart or informed choice...and do what the usually do...what you just posted here is a lie. So you are either lying now...or lied to rattler...which is it? You can't have it both ways.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,622 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] Okay, let's simmer down in here. And mind the real-world politics rule. I'm not going to close this thread yet, but my finger's on the trigger. [/Mod Hat]
    "Two ways to view the world, so similar at times / Two ways to rule the world, to justify their crimes / By Kings and Queens young men are sent to die in war / Their propaganda speaks those words been heard before"
    — Sabaton, "A Lifetime of War"
    9MUythl.png
    (Vaporware thanks to Foundry shutdown. Thanks a frakking bunch, Cryptic.)
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    @coldnapalm not sure what you are on about.

    I don't know what the government will do for certain. All I did was agree with an opinion that companies like EA who require lockbox loot to progress in a game should get penalized more than companies like Cryptic who are using lootboxes for nice-to-haves.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 4,704 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    @coldnapalm not sure what you are on about.

    I don't know what the government will do for certain. All I did was agree with an opinion that companies like EA who require lockbox loot to progress in a game should get penalized more than companies like Cryptic who are using lootboxes for nice-to-haves.

    It's disappointing that one or two companies can ruin it for everyone, but this is common in today's world. Having to put, "Do not eat" on a Tide Pods package should be common sense but YouTube proves common sense doesn't always exist when views or money come into play. On the flip side though. PWE has focused on more lock box content, at least in my opinion, than it has content for everyone. We might get the odd C-Store ship but the bulk of new costume options, weapons, and such, are mostly from lock boxes.

    I don't think PWE's implementation is bad, but I do think it has room for improvement. I would like to see more balance between the C-Store released content and the content released in lock boxes simply because I prefer account-wide items over per character items. If PWE decided that the cost of keys would double but the top prizes from the lock boxes were account-wide. I would be more than happy with that compromise.
    starswordc wrote: »
    [Mod Hat] Okay, let's simmer down in here. And mind the real-world politics rule. I'm not going to close this thread yet, but my finger's on the trigger. [/Mod Hat]

    The discussion should definitely be kept civil! I think the passion from some though reflects on them potentially being locked out of new content they might enjoy if a crackdown on lock boxes happens. Lock boxes provide a way to fund the game without everyone needing to contribute. Having paid expansions might limit some players from content based on price or their financial situation. How do companies come up with a solution to this potential problem. In the end though, I would rather pay for expansions and have the fluff released in the C-Store as account-wide unlocks so PWE knows first hand, what players want instead of letting the biggest spenders dictate how successful something is.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,745 Arc User
    There are many important questions in all of this - where is the line drawn? who is ultimately responsible?

    Folks in the linked video talk about concerns over addiction - everything from loot boxes being gambling to drug companies who knew products were addictive yet had "deceptive advertising."

    What is next? Facebook (and other social media companies) hire "attention engineers" right out of Las Vegas casinos to make their products as addictive as possible.

    Not an easy subject.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 10,611 Arc User
    Would STO be able to survive if they had to make all their lockbox prizes into C-Store items? Certain Lockbox and Lobi ships would likely see more sales since most people would rather spend $30 for a ship compared to $100 for the same ship on the exchange or possibly spending $200 on getting it from a Lockbox.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 4,704 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    There are many important questions in all of this - where is the line drawn? who is ultimately responsible?

    Folks in the linked video talk about concerns over addiction - everything from loot boxes being gambling to drug companies who knew products were addictive yet had "deceptive advertising."

    What is next? Facebook (and other social media companies) hire "attention engineers" right out of Las Vegas casinos to make their products as addictive as possible.

    Not an easy subject.

    I wouldn't be surprised of social media platforms already have. Facebook also has its fair share of purposely addictive games that so many people spend hours and hours every day playing. The whole concept of likes plays on the addictive personality.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,077 Arc User
    They're looking for my Kelvin-Connie.
    rrw_tetreya2.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.