What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lets talk Carriers again

13»

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    It seems that the Fek'Ihri ship being given away this year is a 'Warship', which in STO terms means no Hangar (at least it has so far,) so 'Tier 6 Kar'fi please'. Kar'fi has been brought up a couple of times already, but I'm guessing most people would've held back their request for it in case the Winter ship was, effectively at least, a T6 Kar'fi.
  • Options
    darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    The KDF hasn't gotten a new C Store carrier in a long time. we need a t6 vo'quv so we can use the b'rel hanger pets again. Please Cryptic, make this happen, IT WILL SELL
  • Options
    nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Idea! Put new skin on the Vanguard Carrier and their frigates and make the Vo'quv and B'rel frigates.
    I'd buy that for a dol... 3000 zen. I'm dying to get my KDF toons in a proper klingon carrier.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    The KDF hasn't gotten a new C Store carrier in a long time. we need a t6 vo'quv so we can use the b'rel hanger pets again. Please Cryptic, make this happen, IT WILL SELL

I'm note sure why this was not done years ago. There's no doubt in my mind that if Cryptic released a T6 Vo'Quv , it was be one of the most purchased ships in the zen shop. Many of the KDF player base has been asking for a T6 Vo'Quv since T6 became a thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    errab wrote: »

I'm note sure why this was not done years ago. There's no doubt in my mind that if Cryptic released a T6 Vo'Quv , it was be one of the most purchased ships in the zen shop. Many of the KDF player base has been asking for a T6 Vo'Quv since T6 became a thing.

Here's your problem: cryptic ran the numbers, and don't agree with you.

"KDF is unprofitable". Get used to this concept, it's been a guiding principle of STO development since 2012 and the colossal failure of the Bortasque to generate money for Cryptic. KDF specific development is, therefore, low on the priority list, the only thing LOWER being PvP development.

and that's only because they haven't shed the devs and artists who like Klingons enough to do the work on unpaid time. (Sure, someone was showing off Geko's picture wearing a Klingon hat, but hats don't mean anything, it's questionable he even knew what the symbol was.)

point being, no matter what you think would sell well to KDF players, the faction doesn't have half the playerbase it had six or seven years ago, and there's really no strong interest at cryptic in changing this or expanding the KDF playerbase by appealing to fans they've already insulted and marginalized into negative-growth and reduced involvement.

They'd really much rather you stick to your Federation Main (and if fed isn't your main, they think you should rethink that.)

as a player faction, KDF is, in terms of our lords at Cryptic Studios, "Just Monsterplay". IOW it's irrelevant and has a player community that really, for the most part, isn't necessary or even desirable, just one step up from the "Fourteen year old min/maxers" that the Lead Developer claims is 100% of the PvP playerbase.

in short, if you're not conforming to their designated, targeted demographic, you get crumbs and like it, or you leave, but ya gotta understand they don't want you at the table.

Sadly you are mostly right in the fact that cryptics obvious bias towards anything nonfed making getting anything like a KDF carrier an uber b*tch. There is a good loyal KDF base that they could have expanded upon if they actually tried. Cryptics knowledge on PVP would fit in a thimble as they have spent no effort in developing PVP, just continued to make it a bigger and bigger unbalanced mess.

Id buy a T6 voq/catfish but for some reason cryptic doesnt want my money. The amount of players in this game that fly/love carriers is strikingly high, baffling that they dont spend time to actually make better AI for them/fix them and release more Cstore ones...*throws money at the screen and watchs it bounce off* yep they really dont want my money for carriers... so strange.
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    While obviously the Federation has significant more population I am not buying it that the difference is such big in sales between the two. From what I understood through some -quite old- streams Its actually another thing: how they count cross-faction packs. Lets say you get the flight deck pack that has one of each of the old 3 factions(KDF, Fed, Rom), no matter if you buy it from your KDF main toon, they still count it as a Fed-bought thing just cause it has a Fed ship too. Same goes for other mega packs.

The difference is there, just isnt as big as it is being made to be

Secondly if you, for example make a game, dont work as you should a faction, and because you dont fix it, less and less end up playing it is your fault as a company. You cant say its not profitable just because you didnt bother putting the effort into it. Also those that stop playing it are more likely to move to another game than make a Fed toon main.

The whole thing reminds charr race in GW2, they had some graphical problems with several gears and since they werent being fixed less people played them. When asked on a live when they would fix it, they responded it wasnt a priority because not many play it. But they forced less people play it. Something similar happens here.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes, it will sell...if they let Feddies buy it. Otherwise it won't.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Yeah the recent bundles have shown a move away from KDF being the lowest in the faction listings.

Not so much being elevated to 2nd spot but closer to they now share the spot with the romulans, and probably the JH once their newness loses whatever shine it had.
  • Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I think carriers should keep their maximum number of bays to launch in addition to having a maximum complement of fighters to launch that’s unique to the ship. For instance, the Jupiter Class, being a dedicated carrier, should have a complement of fighters that today’s US Navy Nimitz class has (around 80) or as much as the STO engine allows. These fighters wouldn’t be replaced during battle. You have what you have, but have the option of launching everything you have. Make fighters like commodity items instead of having an infinite supply. Give fighters an edge such as stealth, elusive defense rating that’s significantly higher than starships (I know DS9 made them cannon fodder), their own attack patterns, and squadron groupings, according to the number of launch bays,to command.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    I think carriers should keep their maximum number of bays to launch in addition to having a maximum complement of fighters to launch that’s unique to the ship. For instance, the Jupiter Class, being a dedicated carrier, should have a complement of fighters that today’s US Navy Nimitz class has (around 80) or as much as the STO engine allows. These fighters wouldn’t be replaced during battle. You have what you have, but have the option of launching everything you have. Make fighters like commodity items instead of having an infinite supply. Give fighters an edge such as stealth, elusive defense rating that’s significantly higher than starships (I know DS9 made them cannon fodder), their own attack patterns, and squadron groupings, according to the number of launch bays,to command.

That's not a bad idea.

One of my other wants for Carriers is Customizable Hangar options. IE: Weapon types, engines, shields and special console.

Kind of like our ships except with our Hangar options.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    If I was going to create a carrier system

1. Keep the two hangars but make them specifically for frigate types - modify them however to work like the Vanguards, having specific toggled abilities (For example, a b'rel might have cloaked spread torpedo volleys, one damage, one shield drain and one -dr debuff/placate or threat booster (depending on threat of the mother ship) , yellowstones might have EWP on demand, phaser/torp barrage and tractor beam holds, for example) ...make all frigates available to any ship of that faction BUT give the original frigate associated to that ship bonuses to damage/cd of abilities due to pilot/commander familiarity (or some technobabble excuse)

2. Weapon slots can either be used for weapons or fighter type ships - the difference is each fighter wing (it spits out a wing per 'shot') deploys like a torpedo - one wing after the other with overall cd for each bay. Each bay has a specific number of wings it can deploy. Using the omega torps mechanic as an example

Vo'quv has 1 fore bay, 2 fore turrets - the fore bay has swarmers that have 3 swarmers per wing; the bay having a charge of 2/2 - thus it deploys all 6 swarmers in wings, one after the other so the bay has 0 charges

the bay has a recharge rate of 10s per wing, lets say

Combat happens and 15s later all wings are destroyed - the player can deploy 1 wing but not the second until another 5s have passed

As to deployment rate - thats part of the ships stats - for example on the Jemmie carrier, there seems to only be one launch bay, so all wings are deployed from it; while a vo'quv had multiple launch bays so can deploy more wings simultaneously

3. The hangar UI is streamlined to a hp bar per wing:

ie (Crappy ascii incoming)

[ship icon] [::::::::::::::::::I::::::] [5/6] (this if for the entire fore bay, the 5/6 is the number of active units)
    [ship icon] [::::::::I::::::::::::::::]
    [ship icon] [::::::::::::::::::I::::::]

That bar (maybe even a small blue bar for shields on top) is the hp of the wings deployed - Unlike currently, each bay is considered one entity to reduce calculations, ect

Lets do an example

Fore bay deploys one wing of three swarmers - the hp bar fills to 100% - Now les say the enemy does 1/3 of a hp bar damage

One swarmer is graphically disabled - the counter shows 2/3 swarmers active

Now the player releases another wing - the bar fills up to 85% total hp [5/6]

Now the player could heal the group (its counted as one entity and once over the 85% total hp mark the sixth swarmer revives) or wait 10s to deploy the reinforcement wing - the disabled ship and two others warping out to bring the hp bar to 100%. Due to the cd and the fact it does nothing useful, it can be more advantageous for the player to heal their pets

Regarding the wings weapons; simply put the wings are treated as single entities with a debuff determined by damage that disables x amount of weapons with damage

4. The commands are simplified

Attack - Attack target
    Rampage - Attack everything, priority being targettable torps and mines (basically carrier faw)
    Assist - Assist the ship who has the current targets aggro
    Dock - pets fly into a 1km aoe around ship, automatically get transported inside; replenishing the bay counters to maximum

This discussion has been closed.