test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

“Fastest Game on Ice”, lets change this.

Comments

• sftricksftrick Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    My only complaint about FGOI is the pile-up at the start. Is there really a good reason multiple people can't start at the same time? Especially toward the beginning of the event, there's always a mad dash to the starter to try to get your place on the course first.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    sftrick wrote: »
    My only complaint about FGOI is the pile-up at the start. Is there really a good reason multiple people can't start at the same time? Especially toward the beginning of the event, there's always a mad dash to the starter to try to get your place on the course first.
    The mad dash was never a problem until 2013, when the bug that made people disqualify when multiple people interact with the starter at the same time, first occurred. Before, people would just happily bunch up and tappety-tap-tap on their 'F' key until they got in.

And it would be even less of a problem now (because you no longer do the run with every toon), if only they'd fix it.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Just make us run the track backwards… so you have 2 versions, forward and backwards.. there, some change… (by backwards i mean run in the opposite direction)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    sftrick wrote: »

The first thing you should do when you arrive is change instances to the map with the lowest player count.

That's the easiest way to make sure you can start the race quickly.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    > @gaevsman said:
    > Just make us run the track backwards… so you have 2 versions, forward and backwards.. there, some change… (by backwards i mean run in the opposite direction)

Just have Q change you into one of the various creatures and run the race that way. :) Definitely different when you run it as a Devidian or Spider or Jackal Mastiff...etc...
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'd prefer it if we had to solve a long-winded complicated series of Kramp'lhri-related riddles under an impossible time frame with the threat of our dilithium turning into coal.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    Probably a bit late for this year, but what would you suggest for next year?

My picks:
    1) Downhill Skiing
    2) Sledding
    3) Biathlon (maneuver on a course shooting snowmen with snowballs while skiing)
    4) Ice-climbing
    5) and of course, the most popular winter sport ever: Curling!

for the love of god no I would rather airlock myself then do curling
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    for the love of god no I would rather airlock myself then do curling

What if we have Cryptic add space curling? You start in an airlock then drift to the scoring rings under the force of decompression!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Oh, you mean like space shuffle board?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Oh, you mean like space shuffle board?

Sure if we disable thruster packs/broom flailing for fine adjustments mid-flight.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Edited as I realized I was seeing the wrong post as OP. My bad.​​
    Post edited by bloodyriz on
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I do like the event and unlike Warpangel I do not consider it a chore. It is a somewhat relaxing 5 minutes with, for the winter event, a nice change of music. What I did consider a chore was getting to Rep 6 over 12 reputations on 21 toons. What I do consider a chore is getting R&D up on new DIS toons. What I did consider a chore was getting 100 TFOs for my jemmies and their event. So people have different tastes here.

Is it a challenge? Normally no. I am not as old as somebody posting before me, but quite close, I have had a console (the Atari 2600) in my day but not since, I do not normally play action games, yet I have no problem. Some may have legit problems. But again unlike a poster before, I do consider it a good thing if mechanics are mixed up a little and we're not completely playing one trick ponies. As much as that matters, because deviations from the standard pewpew are minimal already, and whenever one happens, parts of the playerbase get lost (case in point: the featured TFO: how many players are actually healing the NPC to not let it drop below 80%? How many are picking up escape pods? And how many are spending all TFO fighting infinitely respawning enemies that don't add marks to the result, don't drop loot, don't give XP?)

And what I also do like about this - and the indeed very similar Fast and Flurrious as well as to a lesser extent (buying of boards and floaters) their summer counterparts - is that for once it isn't about build and gear, it's just getting in and playing. Although I do understand that for some one of the enjoyable points of RPGs is getting better at stuff through gear/abilities/skill points, I like this change of pace.

I wouldn't mind other ways to get your ship, nor would I mind expansions to the winter map (by the way: last summer did not feature any new events, I guess devs were buys with Gamma and DIS, so I wouldn't hold my breath for additions to Winter Wonderland). What I would mind however is taking away some of the few minor things that actually offer a different approach to the game, minor as they may be.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It's far too late to replace FGOI for 2018-19. Go ahead and suggest ideas for 2019-20 though.

Yeah, not changing this year, for sure. And probalby not ever. Cryptic doesn't seem big on doing stuff when something else is in place and working (or kinda working, in some cases) :D

Personally, I don't mind the race. After all these years, I can pretty much do it on auto-pilot. B)
    My only dislike about it is the stupid "they're on the final stretch" when you're only 50% done. I mean really? The 'final stretch' should be no more than the last 25% of the course!

See image below, the final/home stretch is no where near 50% of the track!
    Typical-horse-racing-track.png
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I do like the event and unlike Warpangel I do not consider it a chore. It is a somewhat relaxing 5 minutes with, for the winter event, a nice change of music. What I did consider a chore was getting to Rep 6 over 12 reputations on 21 toons. What I do consider a chore is getting R&D up on new DIS toons. What I did consider a chore was getting 100 TFOs for my jemmies and their event. So people have different tastes here.
    Then why do them? I didn't get to tier 6 on any reps yet. I stopped to wait for the promised fill all button to be implemented. Not like I need any of the stuff from it.

There's no particular need to grind new toons up R&D. Since the stuff's all tradeable all you need is one toon to craft with, if you want to.

Same the 100 queues for Gamma Recruit. It doesn't reward anything special, so why go out of your way to grind it? Just play whatever, it'll pop at some point. I'm doing the disco battle event with the jemmy to rack up points for the that. Gotta do it once a day anyway so it might as well count for double.
    edited November 2018
    warpangel wrote: »
    I'm doing the disco battle event with the jemmy to rack up points for the that. Gotta do it once a day anyway so it might as well count for double.

Unfortunately, the Gamma Recruit STF objectives are looking like they are only backward compatible. The new stuff is not counting toward the 100 or 25 or 1 completion.

Which goes along with how they did the rest of the Recruits....anything new doesn't get added in.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1245450/gamma-recruit-no-credit-for-event-tfos

On Alts, you will want to do R&D up to Level 15...to unlock traits. Unless you have access to buku Fleet Credits. I think you can buy the ones on the Fleet K-13 holding. I have not cross referenced the traits in R&D with the ones from K-13 so, not sure if they are different or not.

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I don't think that getting rid of doing the race is a good idea, as many players like that race an event. yet I would say maybe looking into making it that there is more then that single method of getting the ship would be good, like you can do the race quest/mission or one of the other events in the zone to get credit for the ship. Having the option to do the race, or another activity would jsut be nice for switching things up if the player wishes too.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I don't think that getting rid of doing the race is a good idea, as many players like that race an event. yet I would say maybe looking into making it that there is more then that single method of getting the ship would be good, like you can do the race quest/mission or one of the other events in the zone to get credit for the ship. Having the option to do the race, or another activity would jsut be nice for switching things up if the player wishes too.
    I'm not saying get rid of the race. Just to add more interesting things in addition to the race to keep people playing the event for longer, because the ornament grind isn't it.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    loucosta wrote: »
    It's insanely easy and over in a minute or less.

Leave it as is!

totally agree, its fun and fast also funny as hell watching the noob runners in their iceboots missing the turns lol.......its not always about speed and power.

yeah for sure it is INSANELY easy!​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    FGOI works just fine and is very decent already as it is. I'd much rather have the devs work on solving long-lasting bugs (or even better, bringing the Foundry back online...) rather than trying to fiddle with functional content and possibly break it.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Then why do them? I didn't get to tier 6 on any reps yet. I stopped to wait for the promised fill all button to be implemented. Not like I need any of the stuff from it.

There's no particular need to grind new toons up R&D. Since the stuff's all tradeable all you need is one toon to craft with, if you want to.

Same the 100 queues for Gamma Recruit. It doesn't reward anything special, so why go out of your way to grind it? Just play whatever, it'll pop at some point. I'm doing the disco battle event with the jemmy to rack up points for the that. Gotta do it once a day anyway so it might as well count for double.

All very good questions. I'll give you the answers, but you can rightly say that these are my personal decisions and not necessities of the game.

(a) Rep: While minor improvements, improved abilities are just that - improved. (I will most certainly NOT go for Rep 7 at 500k whenever it comes, despite having all required marks)
    (b) R&D: As mentioned: traits.
    (c) JH recruits: Yes, it'd pop at some point (even though I am actually not a huge fan of playing TFOs, once in a while I do), just like the marks or dil for stuff I need will pop one day and are normally not ground out - but recruiting events have had (solved afterwards) troubles in the past when the game was updated, so best get over with it quickly. Especially with the announced change in STFs/TFOs in the works.
    (d) All of them: I am a completionist this way. Also, I play my toons mostly separately, apart from some starting cash and R&D mats, and a combined account during summer/winter events, and the use of account unlocks, all should be self sufficient during gameplay.

As I said, these are my reasons, and mine alone, to do this despite considering it a chore and not fun gameplay. So it is not a complaint as such.

However, what about the event ships? While I do not agree with many who voice that they are sub par but instead ways for F2P to really compete with Zen ships, they do not offer much of an improvement over the ships you already have. The odd mastery here or console there may be useful but surely not really necessary. I am also sure that you'll have enough ships to fill every admiralty mission the game throws at you if you're so inclined - again an ultra rare T6 is helpful but not needed. So why do it if it's a chore? Because I guess in that way you are a completionist, too. You'll like the unlock even if you'll never use the ship itself.
    As I said, these are my reasons, and mine alone, to do this despite considering it a chore and not fun gameplay. So it is not a complaint as such.
    That's good. Whatever floats your boat, as the saying goes. So many times you see people complain about things that they choose to do of their own free will.
    However, what about the event ships? While I do not agree with many who voice that they are sub par but instead ways for F2P to really compete with Zen ships, they do not offer much of an improvement over the ships you already have. The odd mastery here or console there may be useful but surely not really necessary. I am also sure that you'll have enough ships to fill every admiralty mission the game throws at you if you're so inclined - again an ultra rare T6 is helpful but not needed. So why do it if it's a chore? Because I guess in that way you are a completionist, too. You'll like the unlock even if you'll never use the ship itself.
    Definitely. Only reason to play at all, that. Certainly not like much of anything is actually necessary here. And that's the problem.

That getting one more into my long list of Admiralty cards (and my backlog of trait bait to grind) is the only reason to play the whole event, and it'll be all over in 5 minutes/day. Sure, I'll do it. I like collecting ships. But there would be potential for so much more.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2018
    Leave it alone. It's the one yearly event that takes me at the most 3 minutes to do. On the flip side, I'd love for the Summer or anniversary ones to be quicker.

Oh yes, still around sometimes.
    Oh, anniversary: fly 2 minutes, two map transfers, run a minute, play a minigame that's sometimes borked, two more map transfers, repeat the whole thing twice, back to ESD/First City, repeat 14 more times (if you play the FE). What's not to love?

(Actually, I still giggle at the sea gul joke, but that's about it)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    I'm in favor of leaving it as it is since it is easy enough once you get the trick.

A secondary race beside the original, not replacing it, could be interesting but to be honest i don't think it is worth the investment in time/money.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Last year I made not one, but TWO vids of myself doing the race.
    In exhibit A, we have a far from flawless run and I came a hair's breadth from getting DQ'd several times, but I passed the NPC opponent of the person before me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6AP1EBjEtc

In exhibit B, it's a bit cleaner of a run, but the guy in front of me had no opponent and was basically walking around the track.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTky6-whkk4

Needs more Benny Hill music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I really don't see why completing any winter activity shouldn't get you the token.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    For the haters...Opt out and move on. Heck these days Cryptic is giving players a choice to buy tokens, vouchers, pictures, whatever the event is on the Cstore (as being done with the last event). Hopefully, one can just buy them off instead of spoiling the fun for the rest of us.

I personally dislike the grind related to TFOs since its dead boring and time consuming (sometimes I take a nap while doing them). To top it is not related to either summer or winter event at all. One should adjust to the game rather than the other way around normal-4.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    I am not sure they are "hating" on it as much as "feeling left out".
    And I am not sure there is a fix for this? Unless we can gift them our extra tokens, or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.