test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age of Discovery, lack of new playable ships

freed89freed89 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
So quick question, am I the only one disappointed with the lack of new playable fed ships in age of discovery? I mean we get one new starter ship, but after that, you are stuck leveling up with standard TNG+ fed ships if you don't want to pay money for the Walker class that levels up to only tier 5. What's more baffling about this is that they have the models for discovery era ships in game. Why did they not implement the same system they did in the TOS expansion, at least one new ship per tier that was era specific, then add on a pack you could buy with all the tier 6 versions of the ships in question? I mean what's the point of a discovery character, when there really is only one (two if buy it) discovery era ships you can play while leveling up?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    1) Production time is the problem.

Did anybody really expect a full Disco expansion a few weeks after ViL?

2) Business Model is the Problem.

No matter if tos Starfleet or jems or Disco, one does not simply get more leveling ships for free.

Dont worry, count on it that all Disco ships will be relased one by one. 3k Zen each. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    The pack is cheap, just buy it and your leveling problem is solved.

There might be more T6 ships added later, AoD is being released in pieces instead of waiting until next summer to release it all at once.
  • kidinthehall#2744 kidinthehall Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I need a T6 Malachowski class please.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Or they have a release schedule planned out as to when new ships will be released. Not everything has to be a conspiracy. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Or they have a release schedule planned out as to when new ships will be released. Not everything has to be a conspiracy. :smirk:

giphy.gif
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »

It is not a conspiracy? You mean the devs don't work together in order to get money?

That seems... like and odd claim.

Conspiracy suggests there is some sinister or hidden motive, or at least a secret cooperation going on.

If it's just people working together for a known purpose, it might be a collaboration, or some kind of enterprise.

Or do you call the local police department an "anti-criminal" conspiracy?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    We KNOW they are coming - it's only a case of when.

I mean, overlooking gameplay and in-game reasoning, they've made high-quality models for these ships that we're get to SEE at least in the currently active event. In fact one could argue that the entire purpose of having our playable ship receive a 'holographic overlay' is to whet our appetite for the eventual C-store model(s).

It's only a matter of time.
    Yes, and giving us a 30 second time period where all we can do is stare at it from multiple angles.... Gave me time to notice one of them seems to have hangar bays...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Dont worry, count on it that all Disco ships will be relased one by one. 3k Zen each. ;)

Except the Connie, which will be in an R&D promo pack. o:)
  • freed89freed89 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    1) Production time is the problem.

Did anybody really expect a full Disco expansion a few weeks after ViL?

2) Business Model is the Problem.

No matter if tos Starfleet or jems or Disco, one does not simply get more leveling ships for free.

No one did, I was surprised they created discovery so fast, In fact, I was concerned that they were rushing it, which they were. I honestly think they should have continued expanding on ViL, and waited for discovery till next summer when they had a more complete experience, but that's just my opinion.

The pack is cheap, just buy it and your leveling problem is solved.

There might be more T6 ships added later, AoD is being released in pieces instead of waiting until next summer to release it all at once.

Yes I could just buy the pack, but part of the fun at least for me, is seeing reward as I level up my character. Getting a new ship each tier was a reward, making it feel like I was making progress as well as making the grinding aspect of the game not nearly as tedious in my opinion. Unfortunately with the Discovery Character, if I want stay strictly discovery ships, I am stuck with one ship (and I am talking about the Walker you can buy) until I reach tier 6. Unlike my TOS character which had one TOS ship per Tier. I could buy the standard fed or tos ship pier tier, but then to that defeats the purpose of a strictly discovery character. Anyways that's what I was trying to say, and that is just my opinion.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    freed89 wrote: »
    Why did they not implement the same system they did in the TOS expansion, at least one new ship per tier that was era specific, then add on a pack you could buy with all the tier 6 versions of the ships in question?
    They did no such thing with AoY, either. The only free ship added was the starter, everything else was paid.

Any other TOS-related free ships were already there before the expansion.

I mean, overlooking gameplay and in-game reasoning, they've made high-quality models for these ships that we're get to SEE at least in the currently active event. In fact one could argue that the entire purpose of having our playable ship receive a 'holographic overlay' is to whet our appetite for the eventual C-store model(s).

Yes, and giving us a 30 second time period where all we can do is stare at it from multiple angles.... Gave me time to notice one of them seems to have hangar bays...
    Well, most Starfleet ships have hangar bays, don't they?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • freed89freed89 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    freed89 wrote: »
    Why did they not implement the same system they did in the TOS expansion, at least one new ship per tier that was era specific, then add on a pack you could buy with all the tier 6 versions of the ships in question?
    They did no such thing with AoY, either. The only free ship added was the starter, everything else was paid.

Any other TOS-related free ships were already there before the expansion.

Very true, thanks for the correction, however at least you could purchase the pack and level up with new ships per tier, AoD your stuck with one, that I guess is my point of contention. if they were not ready to release the ships with the expansion, I think they should have just waited.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    They're releasing Discovery content exactly as they intended: a rolling release. By the end, it'll be the equivalent of a season or expansion, but released in bits, as opposed to dropped as the whole thing at once.

The scaling ship (T1-4) was long overdue, and I'm glad they finally implemented it. I'd love to see them go back and give the same treatment to some of the other lower tier ships to give them more value for new players.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    A scaling Connie would be awesome
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    My willpower vs ship bundles is weak; where it's 'buy 2 get 1 free' type of deal. But if they just dribble out single ships one at a time for $30 a pop; then I'll have to pass on all that. Even at 25% off the Europa doesn't tempt me. It seems a very uninteresting ship overall. Just another 5/3 battle cruiser with a lackluster console and mastery. But in a bundle of good/average ships, I'd have no qualms taking it if the price per ship was where I'd like it to be.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2018

It is not a conspiracy? You mean the devs don't work together in order to get money?

Conspiracy suggests there is some sinister or hidden motive, or at least a secret cooperation going on.

I never claimed a conspiracy, it was @baddmoonrizin who called it such. I was merely pointing out that the lack of new ship releases (despite the ship models already being in the game) might indicate that they are rethinking the stats for the ships to be released.

There's also the matter of producing visual effects and gameplay abilities for said ships. Having the model in game is only one component of production. Now they're contracting out for some ship models they can have more of those added to the game but without concomitant increases in other designers and artists then playable ship releases won't necessarily scale up to the same degree (see. all the waiting ships in AoD) if for nothing else then to maintain a certain cadence in ship releases that satisfies player demand, and gets the most out of the effort, without overloading them in a short span (with less to look forward to later.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Yes, but not THIS large. :p Also this one has FORWARD mounted dual hangars.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    The Walker is really a great looking ship, and even though it has no alternate costume parts, it's one of the few ships where I think many of the materials - even some of the older ones - look great. And it's very interesting to see the subtle differences between the new Discovery Materials - for example, some of them create a colored/glowing looking component on the Walker deflector, where as in others, it looks like one solid "dish". And then there is the subtle coloring on the nacelles.

On my second TOS Captain, I am flying it with the TOS material.

I hope future AoD ships will have similar options. Though I hope they also will come with a contemporary compatible skin, like the Nimitz/Europa.

I know one ship that looks like that, but it seems a rather small ship, so while having these two bays in the first place seems a bit excessive and makes me wonder what its purpose was - but the the bays itself aren't that big, just big in comparison to the ship.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Actually the Europa is a good ship for engineers that stay on threat and mastery/console is decent - its not a good ship for the average tac or sci char though. I just like to play KDF side more so would like a few ships there(The "Envoy" in the Binary Stars battle, lol)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I never claimed a conspiracy, it was @baddmoonrizin who called it such. I was merely pointing out that the lack of new ship releases (despite the ship models already being in the game) might indicate that they are rethinking the stats for the ships to be released.

There's also the matter of producing visual effects and gameplay abilities for said ships. Having the model in game is only one component of production. Now they're contracting out for some ship models they can have more of those added to the game but without concomitant increases in other designers and artists then playable ship releases won't necessarily scale up to the same degree (see. all the waiting ships in AoD) if for nothing else then to maintain a certain cadence in ship releases that satisfies player demand, and gets the most out of the effort, without overloading them in a short span (with less to look forward to later.)
    Right. They have at least two more phases planned for Discovery content release as revealed in the roadmap, and likely do want to sell some ships for them, too.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Feels like people didn't read the diffrent announcements for Age of Discovery when they came out.
    Age of Discovery have barely even gone live. They are putting out things over time in phases.
    Heck I recall they said they were gonna put out updates alongside season 2 of the Discovery tv series. Adding more content from the show.
    And guess what? the Season 2 Discovery haven't haven started airing yet.

Also there is the roadmap https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11010493-star-trek-online's-2018/2019-roadmap!
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Actually the Europa is a good ship for engineers that stay on threat and mastery/console is decent - its not a good ship for the average tac or sci char though. I just like to play KDF side more so would like a few ships there(The "Envoy" in the Binary Stars battle, lol)
    STO calls it a Cleave battleship. Allegedly the devs are planning to give it a special power that involves ramming things. :p I can't wait to try that out. :D

I know one ship that looks like that, but it seems a rather small ship, so while having these two bays in the first place seems a bit excessive and makes me wonder what its purpose was - but the the bays itself aren't that big, just big in comparison to the ship.
    Yes, it's a rather small hull. But the hangar bays are what makes it different from it's contemporaries.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • slickrick1707eslickrick1707e Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Meh. They'll show up when they show up. We know they have the meshes and the skins done, courtesy of Battle at the Binary Stars. I think they'd be foolish to waste the resources and time they've already put in by not releasing anything except through LockBoxes or special promos.

I like what I've seen so far. Might be hard to resist this if they release them in a bundle.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
This discussion has been closed.