test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"The Ascendant"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
J'ula, now stuck in the 25th Century, finds an unusual ally in a very unusual place in our latest fiction blog!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11014063

Comments

• trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Nice story. Too bad we KDF do not have an AoD equivalent. It would be nice to create an AoD Klingon flying a Goa'uld glider (Bird of Prey). Mo'kai maH taHjaj? Hmm... part of it in "proper" Klingon but the name doesn't work. Mo'kai in Klingon would be mo'qey or moqe'a so it should be moqe'a maH taHjaj. The same inconsistency happened with the fekhlri... people pronounce it fekiri but it should be fek-LA-ri. Lower case i does not exist in Klingon nor does capital L. Years ago they were pronounced correctly but I guess the creative team changed over the years and no one corrected the voice actors.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Aaaand J'mpok's life expectancy is decreasing even more after a short period of slow increase following Martok's intentions not to go after the Chancellorship and the decrease after he refused to commit the Empire forces against the Hurq.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    Well TRIBBLE. Very good little story here, but once more it's something critical to the storyline that's, presumably, being relegated to a dev blog.

I'm sure somebody has proposed this idea before, but...why not have these blogs posted in-game somewhere or in some form? Perhaps on completion of certain, related missions they could become available as data files to read in your captain's ready room on the ship bridge/interior or be sent through the in-game mail the way Neverwinter will sometimes have characters in the game send your player character a missive through the game's mail system informing of you of a quest?
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'm actually quite interested in seeing where this goes.
    I hope J'Ula is handled well and becomes a more layered character rather than just another villain-of-the-month.
    I mean there is potential here that the house of Mo'kai could ally themselves with the house of Martok against the House of J'mpok and house of Duras, as their interests align.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I mean there is potential here that the house of Mo'kai could ally themselves with the house of Martok against the House of J'mpok and house of Duras, as their interests align.

No. She won't ally with the House of Martok. They're allied with the Federation after all. J'Ula HATES the Federation. No... if B'vat was still around he'd be a more likely ally.

As it stands... we may very well have a Klingon Civil War sparked by J'Ula.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

No. She won't ally with the House of Martok. They're allied with the Federation after all. J'Ula HATES the Federation. No... if B'vat was still around he'd be a more likely ally.

Actually, that would be the case if she was in the post Iconian war arc. However, according to what I heard from someone on Reddit, Geko's goal is to have her in the closing act of the arc that we go into the past to rescue Miral Paris.

Plus, J'Ula would likely hold a bloodwine barrel sized grudge over B'Vat when she discovers that he's the one responsible for House of Mo'kai's dissolution.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    and no one mentioned that the "Witch of Nimbus III" is back?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Adet'pa

I mean my eyes widened a bit once that was stated...and went "didn't we meet her..." and we have. During the Hur'q storyline. And is technically under House of Martok's protection/ward. I wonder if this means we will deal with her again, and Martok, Kurn(Rodek), Worf, and Lady Sirella. (also didn't know this but D'Vak is a Grandson to Worf, game really doesn't say much, and Koren is step-daughter to Worf...dear god so much stuff there....anyway...)

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10559524-"tale-of-the-witch"
    Adet’pa ran a calloused hand over her shaved head and chuckled. “In this matter, at least, J’mpok is not a liar…not completely. He did, in fact, strike Martok with a killing blow. And, as he left the chamber to proclaim his victory, the forces of House Torg began their treacherous work.”
    “Go on. What did they do, specifically?”
    “They injected Martok with a number of very illegal and very effective substances; substances that kept him at the brink of death. To medical instruments, he was dead… but to House Torg, he was very much alive. A long-sought prize, won at last.”
    “To what end? Why would Torg commit such a dishonor?”
    “I see you do not know Torg well,” Adet’pa sneered. “He is capable of treachery that would make a Romulan blush. Torg wished to remove a capable Chancellor – Martok – and replace him with someone more… malleable. In time, he would undermine Martok’s replacement and ascend to the Chancellery himself. Once there? Well. Torg has long believed that the Empire should be led by an Emperor.”
    I'm going on a limb and thinking that Torg learned some secrets from old House of Mo’kai to preserve someone on edge of death/to make someone look dead, before whisking Martok off to the Briar Patch's Son'a Day Spa.
    Actually, that would be the case if she was in the post Iconian war arc. However, according to what I heard from someone on Reddit, Geko's goal is to have her in the closing act of the arc that we go into the past to rescue Miral Paris.

So, B'Vat could be retconned into J'Ula or the whole arc would be retconned to happen later or differently? Like she shows up, kills B'Vat and tries to kill Paris and you stop her, she escapes and your character wonders who the heck was that Klingon time traveller... until the Alliance briefs you after the Hur'q invasion and you recognize her?

Oh, that'd be quite an impressive mess to keep the story coherent with all those time jumps and possible alterations, and that's not getting into the various mission retcons, like Quark in the Fed tutorial.
    #TASforSTO
    So, B'Vat could be retconned into J'Ula or the whole arc would be retconned to happen later or differently? Like she shows up, kills B'Vat and tries to kill Paris and you stop her, she escapes and your character wonders who the heck was that Klingon time traveller... until the Alliance briefs you after the Hur'q invasion and you recognize her?

I don't think they're gonna retcon the whole arc. We still have to deal with B'vat, but I wouldn't be surprised if J'Ula nudged him in a few instances. Maybe seeing B'vat defeated makes her go underground until she feels the time is right, which would probably be post Hur'q in order to get all the playable factions involved and not just Federation.

Maybe J'Ula was the one who kidnapped Miral and handed her off to B'vat. After all... J'Ula has already shown that she is able to not only circumvent Federation security, as seen aboard the USS Glenn, but has a knack for getting into and out of places she shouldn't be in.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Um... what?
    There's nothing political about it. Where is this coming from?
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Um... what?
    > There's nothing political about it. Where is this coming from?

I think people are reading into this story way too much
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Agreed.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    I'm actually quite interested in seeing where this goes.
    I hope J'Ula is handled well and becomes a more layered character rather than just another villain-of-the-month.

Based on the starter missions for Age of Discovery, she'll be handled poorly. We'll warp into the system, fight her in space or on the ground, find ourselves in a winning position and. Watch a cut scene snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Enjoy these tidbits while they're here friend. It's the only joy I see in this story line!
  • thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I really wish they would just drop this crappy Discovery story line.

The show and its wrecked canon just plain suck.

And those aren't Klingons...they're Romulans that got stuck in a transporter accident.
  • carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Well now, didn't see THAT coming. I'm not much for DIS but I am interested to see what this story goes.

Oh, that'd be quite an impressive mess to keep the story coherent with all those time jumps and possible alterations, and that's not getting into the various mission retcons, like Quark in the Fed tutorial.

That WOULD explain part of the reason why some of the Klingon War episodes were removed...

This. I had been wondering what Martok's role in this might be earlier today while I was at work, but I don't see him allying with someone who would have slain the people who saved him in 2373 without a second thought.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

prediction: three to six episodes, and it's all going to be resolved by the Handsome Phaser Guy from the old STO ads.

As our player character stands by shocked by the turn of events. Dang Handsome Phaser Guy, stealing our characters thunder!
    Before Legacy of Romulus, Obisek was a bad guy.

but he was a bad guy with a purpose and a plan, and it wasn't simply to elevate himself to first servant like Hakeev was after in hopes of being eaten last.
    Should Obisek be considered a villain, even before LoR?

I see him more as a mix of anti-villain (because he opposes you) and pragmatic hero (because he's ready to use whatever needs to be used to accomplish his noble goals), because really, he just wants his people to be free.

While he's ready to use WMDs and kill you just in case you're a spy (or, if you choose the dialogue options correctly, just doesn't want you to leave and potentially warn Sela whether you intent to or not), he clearly doesn't want to and when he sees you're the closest thing to a game-changer that can help his people, he contacts you.

He's just a hero clashing with other heroes because of various circumstances.

J'Ula, though? Meh, she could have been an interesting villain, but I guess it was too much to ask, so they went with the "hammy, permanently angry, unlikable, one-dimensional monster with no redeeming qualities".
    #TASforSTO
    Well now, didn't see THAT coming. I'm not much for DIS but I am interested to see what this story goes.

That WOULD explain part of the reason why some of the Klingon War episodes were removed...

This. I had been wondering what Martok's role in this might be earlier today while I was at work, but I don't see him allying with someone who would have slain the people who saved him in 2373 without a second thought.

here's a question now; does she even HAVE an objective beyond "REEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"?

seriously, is she even that capable of thinking, that she's got some plan to reverse/undo four hundred years or more of bad management in the Empire, or is she just (like every other two-dimensional baddie out there) a braindead moron with funny clothes?

because the blog posts clearly show she's your basic, stereotypical bloodthirsty moron.

In my opinion, J'Ula in 2409 from the blogs is going to be a bit different from 2256/57 J'Ula.

Yes, in 2256, she was out to win a war. However, she felt she's doing it in order to show that it doesn't always have to be the men that get all the glory. For too long since Lukara, women have essentially been in the shadow of the Klingon men. I don't mean to get political here, but when it comes to Klingons, there's a lot of politics involved in their society. By the time we get to 2257, The Klingons have the Federation on the ropes. If she can claim victory by capturing the Sol system, then the House of Mo'kai will likely force the collapse of the Federation and the Klingons will come out dominant over the former Federation worlds. However, the accident that temporally shifts her happens.

In 2409, she finds a time that not only is the Federation still around, but the Federation is bigger than ever, and they're fighting another conflict with the Klingon Empire. What's more, she finds that the House of Mo'kai has been declared dissolved officially, and wants to have that changed, since she, while temporally displaced, is still a rightful leader of House Mo'kai.
    Lemme give you a quick contrast here;

Before Legacy of Romulus, Obisek was a bad guy.

but he was a bad guy with a purpose and a plan, and it wasn't simply to elevate himself to first servant like Hakeev was after in hopes of being eaten last.

All I'm seeing with J'ula is "REEEE!!! HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED IT'S INCONCIEVABLE REEEEEEE!!!!!" Plus some stabbing people.

alright that's oversimplifying, but generally when your grand plan revolves 'round an ancient magic book, it tends to mean you got nothin' going in terms of a "What do you want to use it for and what will that accomplish?"

in short, she's not a Leader, she's a kill-crazy atavism from the past with a sinus condition and a famous relative.

Obisek though wasn't exactly a bad guy. He was just painted as a bad guy because of the lengths he was pushed to. I feel he would only use the thalaron weapons if he had no other choice. All Obisek wanted was to see the Remans treated better than they had been. As of now, they are and he's a member of the alliance.

J'Ula though, I feel she's not going to be redeemed. In her eyes, everything that the Klingon Empire had was taken away, everything she had was taken away and she wants that back. How that happens remains to be seen.

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I'd like to think we're not going to go down the exact same path with J'Ula as we've already done with both Sela and T'ket. I'm not hopeful we'll get something new and different with J'Ula unless CBS makes loud enough noises at Cryptic to get them to pay attention.

I'd also like to nominate Obisek for Star Trek's Worst Insurgent Leader ever. When does this joker accomplish anything on his own without the intervention of our character? And how come he cannot defend Waffle Station from the Terran incursions without our help while making us wait forever between rounds? Obisek is the Reman Michael Avenatti
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    I'd like to think we're not going to go down the exact same path with J'Ula as we've already done with both Sela and T'ket. I'm not hopeful we'll get something new and different with J'Ula unless CBS makes loud enough noises at Cryptic to get them to pay attention.

I'd also like to nominate Obisek for Star Trek's Worst Insurgent Leader ever. When does this joker accomplish anything on his own without the intervention of our character? And how come he cannot defend Waffle Station from the Terran incursions without our help while making us wait forever between rounds? Obisek is the Reman Michael Avenatti

point of order; no insurgency in history (Well, real life history) has succeeded without extensive foreign assistance. Obisek's actually pretty damn successful as an insurgent, his ability to use the extremely limited assistance to work for his insurgency and achieve his goals puts him up there with Simon Bolivar (whose foreign aid was ALSO very limited but very well employed against a global empire to a successful conclusion.)

Vauthil Station is a post-revolution event, and smaller nations often have problems when facing assaults by larger empires. (also, Obisek didn't insist on being the head of state-he stepped back and let D'Tan be the prime target of assassins instead.)

but the big reason I use him, is that he starts out as the opponent, but he has a rational cause and an actual plan, with an actual outcome and actual victory conditions. IOW a developed character to his character.

J'Ula on the other hand, is a two dimensional sneering villain-for-the-Evuls. The evil she's doing isn't motivated by anything but her personal vanity, she has no endgame besides "Kill people". she's a retread of Hakeev and the other one-note-baddies.

In my opinion (which you don't have to accept Patrickngo), J'Ula isn't two dimensional. She has motivation that she's a woman and what she says and does with the current "Klingon way of doing things," will be little more than footnotes of a tale of the men seeking glory. She wants more than to just be a footnote. She wants future warriors of the Klingon Empire to sing about her, possibly (as far as we know) as the first Empress of the Klingon Empire.

In order to do that though, she has to do what she can in order to gain the upper hand against the Federation. There are definitely missing stories between Secrets and Downfall, which could be explored by cryptic. Those episodes could expand on J'Ula more.

Unfortunately, as the events of Downfall play out, J'Ula never gets to even get close to the title of Empress, as she's flung 150 years into a future where the Federation is stronger than ever, where her house officially no longer exists, and the state of the Empire is probably worse in her eyes (since they now have species diversity).

Everything she done in her eyes has literally been for nothing, especially since now she history that she's got to catch up on in order to make sense of what's going on and figure out what she needs to do. The first thing of course is to re-establish the house of Mo'kai.

I agree with Vegeta here.

J'Ula actually has more to her than Hakeev ever did. Hakeev truly was the moustache twisting villian of STO in the Romulan Arc. J'Ula... She's more dangerous. Look at what she did to the USS Glenn. Not only was she aware of the Spore Drive research and the Crossfield class ships, she was able to circumvent top secret level Starfleet security measures AND hyjack a locked down shuttle to escape with sensitive data.

Hakeev couldn't accomplish anything without Iconian help... and he STILL not only got beaten by a Reman Insurgency, but one allied (player) ship. ALSO... he got verbally bishslapped by Sela! Hakeev is the Snively Whiplash of STO. J'Ula... is far more dangerous.

She's a Crusader. More than that... she's a Crusader with a cause. Reclaim her House and reclaim the Empire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_rSyRD8XM
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Was there an era where Starfleet didn’t feel totally incompetent?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    *** Spoilers for Discovery, End of Season one ***

Actually, for all we know, the records that she is looking for could have the location of the datapad that controls the thermal bomb that was dropped into the middle of Kronos, since T'Rell was house Mo'kai. And when last seen; it was in T'rell's possession.

She actually could end up taking over the Empire, (or on her way to) when the alliance has to stop her. Or time jump around and end up getting the bomb to Praxis before it blows up. (I never did buy the over mining thing in ST VI).
    She has motivation that she's a woman and what she says and does with the current "Klingon way of doing things," will be little more than footnotes of a tale of the men seeking glory. She wants more than to just be a footnote. She wants future warriors of the Klingon Empire to sing about her, possibly (as far as we know) as the first Empress of the Klingon Empire.
    Every Klingon villain: "Oh, so you want to be sung about for eons and maybe become Chancellor/Empress? Yeah, cool, grab your ticket and wait in line like the rest of us"

"I want songs about me" is pretty much one of the main motivations of every Klingon villain, so that's actually not making her better as one.

And just because a villain is powerful and gets things done doesn't mean it's a good villain. Especially when their awesomeness is pretty much the writer going "Well, she can do stuff others didn't think would be possible. OK, if you think about it, it's actually not possible unless the other side grabs the idiot ball for some reason, but who cares, character shilling, yay!"

Lex Luthor managed to get Superman and Batman fight in BvS, but the plan was so convoluted he only got most of what he wanted because the writers wanted so, not because he was good at that.
    #TASforSTO