test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we please get a T6 Oberth

avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
Putting this up here since he last thread is over a month old now.

The Oberth was a strangely designed ship but after thinking about it the design grew on me and I've been wanting this ship updated to T6 for some time now, it's pretty much the only ship I am asking for from the devs. It's the only one of the TMP era ships to not be engineering/cruiser based and the last ship from that era remaining which needs to be added to the game. This ship has been stuck at T1 for a long time now.

If this ship was updated to T6 it would give me an excuse to start playing as my sci toon who I have been neglecting for some time now, my only expectations is that it will at least have 5 sci console slots and two ltcom boff slots with one as universal, I'm not sure about how the full configuration should be.

I'm sure that there's others who also want this ship updated to T6 form, please show your support for this ship being updated to T6!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I don't know why but I always liked the Oberth too. I would love to see a T6 version and would consider buying it depending on the specs. It would be a pretty decent gamble for Cryptic to make it though so I don't see it happening. One can hope though.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,295 Arc User
    To each their own, but personally i really do not like the oberth and how it looks.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I didn't realize that my first thread on this was over 1.5 years ago. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1232878/t6-oberth-support-thread/p1
    Post edited by avoozuul on
    edited November 2018
    Since the Oberth was a part of a poll a while back along with three other ships then it's probably on their minds for an update and release at some point, because after all there's many more ships which don't yet have T6 versions which weren't even mentioned in that poll, and two ships from the poll so far have already been updated to T6.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    1g9uUE1.jpg

I'm all for it. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED

And if they wanna update it a bit, they could do something like that
    2M0eGpS.jpg

Also fixes that "how do they go down below?" question.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User

2M0eGpS.jpg

Wow - this looks awesome!!! I'm all up for that!!! <3
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
    edited November 2018

2M0eGpS.jpg

Nice, I quite like that. :)
    edited November 2018
    I tried to find some nice images of an advanced version of the Oberth and I couldn't really find much, but this images apparently has three variations of an Oberth and they look interesting. Although the one on the left looks a bit ugly.
    fDBT3h5.jpg
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    battleship_missouri.jpg and
    Missouri.png

If you want a T6 one, go all the way. From Klingon Academy , sadly trying to find a photo from the game for it is almost impossible, as it is like 20 years old almost, and someone made a horrible model for it for Empires at War II (not the one in pic above, that one is correct).

side note: stats for the ship from the manual were:
    793m long with 1100 crew +90 marines.
    1140 k/s Max Impulse at 0.24/0.06 Maneuverability rating
    Mass Approx. 1000, Hull Rating 9.4, Shield Rating 198.3
    Fore: 6 Phaser, 6 Photon Torps,; Aft: 5 Phaser, 4 Torps, P/S: 4 Phasers , 360º Weapon: QCB

QCB: Quantum Carrier-Wave Beam, so imagine Tachyon beam and Tractor Beam in one. It literally "pulses" like Tachyon beam does and damages shields, but depends on the Tractor Beam system to hold the target, and cannot be repulsed away from the target once held. But does not work when caught in a tractor beam, and will discharge without doing any damage to the target.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I tried to find some nice images of an advanced version of the Oberth and I couldn't really find much, but this images apparently has three variations of an Oberth and they look interesting. Although the one on the left looks a bit ugly.
    fDBT3h5.jpg

I like all three. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    kaggert27 wrote: »
    Missouri.png

If you want a T6 one, go all the way. From Klingon Academy , sadly trying to find a photo from the game for it is almost impossible, as it is like 20 years old almost, and someone made a horrible model for it for Empires at War II (not the one in pic above, that one is correct).

Fore: 6 Phaser, 6 Photon Torps,; Aft: 5 Phaser, 4 Torps, P/S: 4 Phasers , 360º Weapon: QCB

QCB: Quantum Carrier-Wave Beam, so imagine Tachyon beam and Tractor Beam in one. It literally "pulses" like Tachyon beam does and damages shields, but depends on the Tractor Beam system to hold the target, and cannot be repulsed away from the target once held. But does not work when caught in a tractor beam, and will discharge without doing any damage to the target.

Kinda big, don't you think? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    kaggert27 wrote: »
    Missouri.png

I guess it does look somewhat interesting but it doesn't exactly speak Oberth to me.

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    What (functional) niche would a T6 Oberth fill?

From what I remember of the ship.. its main role was kind of a first-response and remote site investigation vessel. Pilot spec? Something akin to the Lukari Scout Ships?
  • manugftgerhmanugftgerh Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    hello,
    i upgrade all my reputation to tier 6,
    i can not remove myn space reputation 'advanced targeting system and precision" from the slot to repace it for the rank 2 versie. its always say' traits slots are full'
    plss fix this

p.s. every time you go in game for the first time, you get pve pop-ups, plss remove that ist so annoying
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    A T6 Curry Class then. It's basically the same configuration...
    CURRY1.jpg
    Or the Raging Queen type.

They could be kitbashed from the Resolute and Exeter Classes.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    CURRY1.jpg

Still to big for an Oberth type
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited November 2018
    CURRY1.jpg

Not really a fan of that design honestly, however it looks more suited to a cruiser.

CURRY1.jpg

Only the TMP era ones. TNG retconned them to about 300m long which is actually longer than the Curry.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    perhaps they could experiment with new stuff, like maybe trading out a weapon or so for more space magic slots. Otherwise I'd suggest miracle worker as pilot would work better with the Nova IMHO.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

CURRY1.jpg

Only the TMP era ones. TNG retconned them to about 300m long which is actually longer than the Curry.
    Well TNG did have a bigger version of the Oberth.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Oberth needs to be pretty small so making it a huge great big 1000+ crew sci vessel would not feel right. The charm of the ship is the it's small and nimble and appears to be only the most basic of vessels (saucer, 2 engines and a sci mission pod pretty much).
    I think it's ideal for a scout ship class, perhaps along with the Nova as well. Both are small.

In fact i'd even go as far as to say they create a 3 pack with the Oberth, Nova and Saber all being redone as scout class vessels.
    SulMatuul.png
    > @avoozuul said:
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > smokebailey wrote: »
    >
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > A T6 Curry Class then. It's basically the same configuration...
    >
    > Or the Raging Queen type.
    >
    > They could be kitbashed from the Resolute and Exeter Classes.​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Still to big for an Oberth type
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Only the TMP era ones. TNG retconned them to about 300m long which is actually longer than the Curry.
    >
    >
    >
    > Well TNG did have a bigger version of the Oberth.

That is what I said.

So as not to be dwarfed by the Galaxy (but conversely to dwarf the Defiant) both the Oberth and Excelsior were significantly scaled up to around 300 and 600 metres respectively for TNG and DS9.
    Same reason the Conni was scaled to over 400m in ENT (to dwarf the NX) and again in DSC (so as not to be dwarfed by the Crossfield).

If TNG had a proper budget the recurring science vessel would likely have been the Olympic or Springfield or something. But budget meant reusing TMP era ships and having to upscale them for the same reason DS9 was stuck using Excelsiors and Mirandas instead of Challengers, Freedoms, or New Orleans. The TMP era ships were built to high quality for the cinema and had mass produced model kits available.

Both the tiny 100 odd metre Oberth and the Conni dwarfing over 300m one are equally canon and have about the same amount of onscreen evidence for them meaning it's impossible to say what the 'true' size is supposed to be.

#TASforSTO

edited November 2018
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    In fact i'd even go as far as to say they create a 3 pack with the Oberth, Nova and Saber all being redone as scout class vessels.
    Since the Saber is a tactical ship I think it would make more sense if it were coupled with other tactical ships in need of T6 treatment such as the Steamrunner and the Tempest as a three pack.

• bawdytieflingbawdytiefling Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Yes! I support a T6 Oberth. First, generally speaking, because I think everyone should be able to fly the ship of their choice at T6, and, second, more specifically, I love this ship, the Star Trek III era its design evokes, and its size. I think it and the Nova would be great science scout ships.

Please start introducing more classic movie and TV era ships into the Zen Store, like the Oberth and Nova.
    edited November 2018
    I think everyone should be able to fly the ship of their choice at T6
    As much as I would like to agree I realize that there is some ships which they won't be able to upgrade to T6 since they no longer have the rights to them.

This discussion has been closed.