test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

From the patch note: Battle at the Binaries - a 14-day event with a major US holiday in the middle

wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
Seems like poor timing to put such a long event requiring such a lengthy grind in the middle of Thanksgiving, a time where a huge portion of the population travels (the single largest travel period in the US), many for 4-5 days or more. I know many folks who take the whole week as a holiday to travel to family.

I recognize that it's only a US holiday, and there's always a holiday going on somewhere in the world. Still, it's one of the bigger ones in one of the largest markets for the game (I'm guessing), and this is one of the longer grinds.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    The 3 week event by design provides 7 days of wiggle room. With 5 full days of travel that still provides a buffer of 2 for those who have major thanksgiving plans (which doesn't include all of the US, only those with major thanksgiving plans. Not everyone travels and not everyone travels for that long over the holiday.) It's close but it's still totally doable. The only folks missing out are those who take extended personal vacations over the holiday. In which case, ask for another buy in like the last Breach event. If it's not being implemented this time, special circumstances of the holiday could tip the argument back in its favor.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    The 3 week event by design provides 7 days of wiggle room. With 5 full days of travel that still provides a buffer of 2 for those who have major thanksgiving plans (which doesn't include all of the US, only those with major thanksgiving plans. Not everyone travels and not everyone travels for that long over the holiday.) It's close but it's still totally doable. The only folks missing out are those who take extended personal vacations over the holiday. In which case, ask for another buy in like the last Breach event. If it's not being implemented this time, special circumstances of the holiday could tip the argument back in its favor.

I don't dispute any of your points points. It just seemed like poor planning to create the problem in the first place - though obviously there are other constraints and calendar events about which we know nothing at this time.

It could very well be that there is something else planned with which this cannot overlap - although why this couldn't be a 14-day event requiring 9-tokens or or a 10-day event requiring 7 tokens that started later, who can say.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Geee... let me see: STO Event???? OR Family and Thanksgiving.
    Yeah, gonna be doing Thanksgiving. Totally not a dilemma for me. LOL!

The day after Thanksgiving...I am gonna start decorating for Christmas.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Q's Winter Wonderland also has a major holiday smack in the middle of it. Not seen you complain about that yet.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited November 2018
    I don't dispute any of your points points. It just seemed like poor planning to create the problem in the first place - though obviously there are other constraints and calendar events about which we know nothing at this time.

It could very well be that there is something else planned with which this cannot overlap - although why this couldn't be a 14-day event requiring 9-tokens or or a 10-day event requiring 7 tokens that started later, who can say.

Or that they like to keep to a certain cadence of releases to maintain player engagement over time and the 14 day event is a tested scheme with infrastructure behind it that doesn't need to be modified because some people in the US decide to take extended personal vacations over the thanksgiving week. Modifying the structure of the event to account for thanksgiving doesn't seem to be a proportionate response. What does, if anything, is adding token package to the c-store like we saw during the last Breach event so folks able to afford taking all that time off don't have to worry about what they'll miss out on in a video game. At the very least then, players affected by the holiday aren't locked out while the event runs per normal for everyone else (who also don't buy in.)

(Personal choices are leading directly to the conflict and the circumstances for those life/game decisions aren't exactly unfortunate. One can only take this issue so far before the response simply becomes #FirstWorldProblems. ;) )
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    There is never a good time to do an event that fits everyone.... also Thanksgiving is a US holiday so only effects US players and there is no stats to say its the larger portion of the population as you state... most of the limited time sales are done during a time table and lots of people moan that they miss out on those.. I know I tend to as they tend to start during the night and finish before I get home from work.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    For many years now there has been a 3 week event leading up to Q. Last year they reset Q back to the latest possible start instead of letting it start around Nov29. This year it's one day earlier than last. But Thanksgiving is always impacted. You can still manage with a week's leeway.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Or that they like to keep to a certain cadence of releases to maintain player engagement over time and the 14 day event is a tested scheme with infrastructure behind it that doesn't need to be modified because some people in the US decide to take extended personal vacations over the thanksgiving week. Modifying the structure of the event to account for thanksgiving doesn't seem to be a proportionate response. What does, if anything, is adding token package to the c-store like we saw during the last Breach event so folks able to afford taking all that time off don't have to worry about what they'll miss out on in a video game. At the very least then, players affected by the holiday aren't locked out while the event runs per normal for everyone else (who also don't buy in.)

(Personal choices are leading directly to the conflict and the circumstances for those life/game decisions aren't exactly unfortunate. One can only take this issue so far before the response simply becomes #FirstWorldProblems. ;) )

You make some valid points. I do question that the 21-day/14 token event structure is somehow sacrosanct and unchangeable, as events have gone through several changes over the past couple years.

I do concur that participating, or not, as well as traveling, or not, are personal choices from the player's perspective. However, the events are intended to increase player engagement among other things. Why time an event that doesn't maximize the opportunity to achieve that.

As for the Winter event as others have pointed out, the period for participating is a lot longer, so it's not as comparable.

I thought it was clear by the phrasing, but I guess I have to say it - I'm not complaining that I will personally be somehow bereft by having the event over Thanksgiving. My point, as stated, was that it SEEMED like poor timing. As with the death by a thousand clicks from the new reputation tier or the RFTOs that don't separate space/ground, there are some decisions that seem to occur without thinking through all the consequences (Based on the, ahem, strong sentiments on those subjects expressed in other threads - we certainly don't need to rehash those here as I was only saying that there ARE strong feelings.)

THAT was the point, not that I would somehow be personally disadvantaged by the timing of the event or that it was somehow unfair. Apparently, no one else seems to agree about the timing of the event, and it's just me. I can accept it if that's the case. It merely struck me as a strange decision.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Never ceases to amaze me how, despite STO's incredibly easy and minimalist event participation, some people still shamelessly whine about it being too much.

Most games I play specifically aim to run events on all holidays. Any excuse to put up limited-time content. And not of the once-per-day variety, either.
    edited November 2018

You make some valid points. I do question that the 21-day/14 token event structure is somehow sacrosanct and unchangeable, as events have gone through several changes over the past couple years.

We have seen variation (see. Sompek weekend events) but we've never seen Cryptic tailor the exact window of any of these events to external holidays, beyond adding on a few days to the running of (say) the Summer event to account for downtime. Changing the 21-14 token structure would require rebalancing the event. Ie. adjusting how much you get (in accordance with the relative difference in effort) as well as the technical requirements of 2/3rds the new time. Depending on how complex the system is that could take some effort and its always worth assuming when making development suggestions that it's not as easy as we think it is. These inputs could all be easily modified, or embedded deep in the technical structure of the event (depends on whether they anticipated making fine-scale changes.)

Plus shortening the event brings into question what else do you fill that time with. While some folks in the US are on vacation the rest of the STO population is roughly pursuing business as usual. They would have had event participation to tide them over during the holiday but with that rescaled the question becomes "what does Cryptic do to compensate these players?" In trying to make Binary more accessible to a select few travelers in one region, a population problem is created with direct implications for maintaining interest and log ins (versus "not having access to a very specific and incidental exclusive" on the part of those who are going to be out of town in any case.)

That's probably why the timing isn't the overriding factor here. A problem can be articulated with respect to a select subgroup in the US but that's operating within a wider ecosystem (which constricts the apparently "easy call" of making sure nothing of substance is occurring during the week, in case some folks miss out. ;) )
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It is an MMO and not custom made to individual player need. IMO this is perfect timing for me just because it is the "holidays". Of course, everyone might have a different take on the holidays. Then again why do a summer/winter or friday13/halloween/anniversary or even first contact day? I could say that on the contrary this is GREAT planning from Devs and do thank them for taking this into consideration. Like others said there is plenty of days extra that were allotted to do if you miss any of them.

Last, from a global community perspective lots (or perhaps a majority of players) do not know or even celebrate US holidays. After all this is STO and should be inclusive of all cultures even in our archaic and primitive human nature of looking at things from a centrist perspective but the OP addressed this already. I just think the vast majority of the playerbase does not care about US holidays.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.

We have seen variation (see. Sompek weekend events) but we've never seen Cryptic tailor the exact window of any of these events to external holidays, beyond adding on a few days to the running of (say) the Summer event to account for downtime. Changing the 21-14 token structure would require rebalancing the event. Ie. adjusting how much you get (in accordance with the relative difference in effort) as well as the technical requirements of 2/3rds the new time. Depending on how complex the system is that could take some effort and its always worth assuming when making development suggestions that it's not as easy as we think it is. These inputs could all be easily modified, or embedded deep in the technical structure of the event (depends on whether they anticipated making fine-scale changes.)

Plus shortening the event brings into question what else do you fill that time with. While some folks in the US are on vacation the rest of the STO population is roughly pursuing business as usual. They would have had event participation to tide them over during the holiday but with that rescaled the question becomes "what does Cryptic do to compensate these players?" In trying to make Binary more accessible to a select few travelers in one region, a population problem is created with direct implications for maintaining interest and log ins (versus "not having access to a very specific and incidental exclusive" on the part of those who are going to be out of town in any case.)

That's probably why the timing isn't the overriding factor here. A problem can be articulated with respect to a select subgroup in the US but that's operating within a wider ecosystem (which constricts the apparently "easy call" of making sure nothing of substance is occurring during the week, in case some folks miss out. ;) )

All very valid points.

I appreciate your willingness to articulate a cogent and thoughtful point of view, rather than telling me over and over to get over it and that Thanksgiving is a US holiday (a point I acknowledged right off the bat) since my point was about the impact on the broader player base and not my own ability to complete the event.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    If you can't play all (as me, lot of work), just buy the TFO Bundle, 10 tokens and an upgrade to maxium level for any gear… thou for now is giving me an error... hope they fix it soon..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Where was it announced that they're doing the 'skip' bundle for this event?

I believe as of the last 3 week event they're starting to add this option for players who want the shiny, but either don't want to go a full 14 days or can't.

As for the event timing... I had a feeling it was coming soon due to the fact that we also have the Winter Event coming up. Binary's gonna lead us right into the Winter Event.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    valoreah wrote: »
    ... It just seemed like poor planning to create the problem in the first place ...

Any date(s) Cryptic selects for anything are a "problem" for someone.

True. Again, a point I previously acknowledged.

However, the US market is likely one of the largest player markets overall and Thanksgiving one of the most widely celebrated holidays in that market.

While no published data exists, you can look at few data points to make a supportable inference regarding the relative importance of the US market to the game - the relative size of the overall videogaming markets (top five: China, US, Japan, Korea, Germany); online population (China: 850mm, US:265mm, Japan: 121mm, Korea: 48mm, Germany: 76mm); and the global revenue of recent trek movies as a proxy for franchise popularity - ST:Beyond total: $343mm (China:$65mm/19%, US: $158mm/46%, $5mm/1.5%, Korea: $9mm/2.6%, Germany: $15mm/4.5%).

Duncanidaho's argument seems to be a more compelling rationale for the timing (or seeming lack of consideration for the US market).

Additionally, the rest of the game appears organized to reflect the importance of the US market (or at least the sleep/work schedule of the people running the game). If nothing else, the recent aborted effort of Sompek suggests that planning a big event with time constraints during a major US holiday might not be a great idea. Who's going to be around to fix it if things go south?

I'm not insisting that the game should be US-centric. I'm just saying that it seems to be that way - and wondered what kind of thought or planning went into the calendar.

Frankly, the question of how things get calendared and what are the key considerations are is not an outlandish thing to consider. Wouldn't we all like to believe that there is rhyme and reason behind all the key decisions of a game we enjoy, spend a significant amount of time playing, and spend a lot of money supporting?

But, it seems I'm an island on this point.
    At the moment its an educated guess. They tested the waters with the last 3 week event. I don't see a reason why they couldn't do another test again, unless they withhold the box to get maximum participation in the new event. Which kinda doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    Consider that this event was originally planned to launch last week, but was delayed due to technical issues. Even so, there was still enough time to get it in before the Winter Event.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    rattler2 wrote: »
    At the moment its an educated guess. They tested the waters with the last 3 week event. I don't see a reason why they couldn't do another test again, unless they withhold the box to get maximum participation in the new event. Which kinda doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

There is a bundle with 10 for 800 zen. Includes an ultimate upgrade.

The vouchers seem to be character locked when obtained from the event, so be careful which one you use to purchase.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Whatever dates they picked would be bad for someone, somewhere around the globe because its a global playerbase.

I see no reason why they should need to pander to any particular group or that opens a real can of worms.
    SulMatuul.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User

Yes, they should assume everyone needs to travel far, and that NO ONE on there days off will have time to log into a game...oh, wait...

Again, IT'SA GAME. It's not the end of the world if you happen to not complete a given event (in 3 weeks). But to somehow say: "They shouldn't do long term events of Holidays and giving the flak for such is just ridiculous.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Yes, they should assume everyone needs to travel far, and that NO ONE on there days off will have time to log into a game...oh, wait...

Again, IT'SA GAME. It's not the end of the world if you happen to not complete a given event (in 3 weeks). But to somehow say: "They shouldn't do long term events of Holidays and giving the flak for such is just ridiculous.

Not even remotely what I've said in any of my posts, nor reflective of the acknowledgement I've made of very valid points made by others in this thread, let alone reflecting a misreading of my key points (though I obviously need to take some responsibility for not articulating them in a manner that conveys clarity).
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Can't wait to get my
    SLoSBbG.jpg

(Every time I see 'beacon', I read 'bacon'.) :D
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    There is a bundle with 10 for 800 zen. Includes an ultimate upgrade.

Currently broken for at least some people. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245236/unable-to-buy-binary-stars-tfo-bundle

Can't wait to get my
    SLoSBbG.jpg

(Every time I see 'beacon', I read 'bacon'.) :D

bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
    That... is... awesome.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I realise that some US citizens love their excesses but three weeks for thanksgiving seems a tad much.
    I think they're just complaining that Thanksgiving is in the middle of the event, therefore "poor planning!"

After hearing that Binary Stars was going to be a 3 week event... I knew it would have to be REAL SOON, because guess what's around the corner? Winter Event.

We've never had a 3 week event run at the same time as a Seasonal.
    So logically... if it hadn't stared last week... it would HAVE to start this week in order to not conflict with the Winter Event.
This discussion has been closed.