test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Michelle Yeoh Star Trek spin off in the works

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    You know, Captain Georgiou was the only character I liked from the few shows I watched. I didn't pay for CBS All Access after the first month.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Oh. The Emperor? No interest then.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I would be interested in seeing more of Captain Georgiou rather than Emperor Georgiou. So color me skeptical.

I mean, if they are willing to have Georgiou evolve into some kind of anti-hero that starts thinking and acting morally, maybe it oculd be interesting, but well, again, color me skeptical.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Oh. The Emperor? No interest then.​​

Me neither. DSCs take on the MU was ridoncolously dumb in my opinion, and 'God-emperor Georgiou' is really not what I want to see.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    I would rather see the 'Adventures of Captain Killy!'

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > Oh. The Emperor? No interest then.​​

Me neither. DSCs take on the MU was ridoncolously dumb in my opinion, and 'God-emperor Georgiou' is really not what I want to see.

I don't like the concept in general. I'd prefer an introspection of characters in their own personal 'darkest timeline' and have some 'what if' or 'for want of a nail' type stories.

Not some tedious 'Earth X' we're all randomly space Naz.is for no particular reason.

Spock, O'Brien, T'Pol, Tuvok, and Voq are the only MU characters that seem like the Prime versions set in impossible situations. Everyone else is a giggling loon who share names with their Prime counterparts and nothing else.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    A Star Trek Anthology series would be interesting. It is part of the reason why The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits were great.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    A Star Trek Anthology series would be interesting. It is part of the reason why The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits were great.
    Could be interesting, but there'd have to be recurring characters in some form.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'm not interested in a show "about" the Empress. However I would very much like to see a show with a more in depth look into Section 31!
    I think it would be interested to see just how they operate, and how they may wrestle with the morality of doing what needs to be done. I mean surely all of Section 31 are not stone cold genocidal maniacs, and even Sloane struggled with the inner conflict of what he did and had to do to keep the federation safe.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    I'm not interested in a show "about" the Empress. However I would very much like to see a show with a more in depth look into Section 31!
    I think it would be interested to see just how they operate, and how they may wrestle with the morality of doing what needs to be done. I mean surely all of Section 31 are not stone cold genocidal maniacs, and even Sloane struggled with the inner conflict of what he did and had to do to keep the federation safe.

I'd even prefer a mirror show to that pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    You know, Captain Georgiou was the only character I liked from the few shows I watched. I didn't pay for CBS All Access after the first month.

I know what you mean. Out of everything that we had to swallow about Discovery, the fact that the three primary characters were either killed off, were mutineers or traitors, or invaders from a parallel universe was the toughest. I admit that I failed to get past this aspect and also bailed at the mid-season break cancelling the app. I don't hate the spinoff, but as much as they try; it is not Star Trek to me.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    "Hey, I have an idea! You know that evil version of Captain Star Power?"

"You mean Emperor Georgiou?"

"Yeah! Why don't we make a series focusing on her?"

"You want to make a show where the main character is an authoritarian, xenophobic, cannibalistic lunatic with absolutely no morality, no displayed desire to be anything resembling a good person, and who is completely unrelatable to the audience?"

"Yeah!"

"Genius!"
    ryan218 wrote: »
    "Hey, I have an idea! You know that evil version of Captain Star Power?"

"You mean Emperor Georgiou?"

"Yeah! Why don't we make a series focusing on her?"

"You want to make a show where the main character is an authoritarian, xenophobic, cannibalistic lunatic with absolutely no morality, no displayed desire to be anything resembling a good person, and who is completely unrelatable to the audience?"

"Yeah!"

"Genius!"

The Emperor never ate another human. That is unjustified Libel.​​

#TASforSTO

Thou shalt not speaketh ill of thy god emperor!
    lFC4bt2.gif

Is it cannibalistic to eat a member of a sapient alien race? It is certainly reprehensible by Western Civilization standards, but I doubt it is cannibalistic. Introduce an alien species that makes humans live longer by eating them and lots of humans will forget their standards due to the fear of death.
    Eating human meat would make humans live longer (in the same way as eating any other animal). It's still a crime, outside of dire survival situations. Why? Because unlike most animals, humans are highly intelligent. The same goes for any sentient, sapient, species (such as the Kelpiens). By the same logic, killing the rebels on that planet wasn't murder, because none of the victims were human. Do you see the issue here?
    Eating human meat would make humans live longer (in the same way as eating any other animal). It's still a crime, outside of dire survival situations. Why? Because unlike most animals, humans are highly intelligent. The same goes for any sentient, sapient, species (such as the Kelpiens). By the same logic, killing the rebels on that planet wasn't murder, because none of the victims were human. Do you see the issue here?

Was thinking of a situation of where eating aliens as a form of immortality rather than as simple survival. So if each alien increased someone's lifespan by 5 years, then eating 1000 aliens would increase their lifespan by 5000 years. Then there is the issue of Carnivores becoming a spacefaring species. It might be part of their culture to devour their enemies. Unless every alien race is just like us, then some alien races will have customs that we can't tolerate.

If it was a Terran Empire World full of Terrans that rebelled, then the Empress would destroy that world as well to set an example. It doesn't matter if they are Terrans or slaves. Loyalty = Survival while Rebellion = Death.

Was thinking of a situation of where eating aliens as a form of immortality rather than as simple survival. So if each alien increased someone's lifespan by 5 years, then eating 1000 aliens would increase their lifespan by 5000 years. Then there is the issue of Carnivores becoming a spacefaring species. It might be part of their culture to devour their enemies. Unless every alien race is just like us, then some alien races will have customs that we can't tolerate.

If it was a Terran Empire World full of Terrans that rebelled, then the Empress would destroy that world as well to set an example. It doesn't matter if they are Terrans or slaves. Loyalty = Survival while Rebellion = Death.

It may be acceptable in the context of the MU, but it isn't acceptable from the perspective of the viewer, which is the point.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Eating human meat would make humans live longer (in the same way as eating any other animal).
    In fact, eating human meat is very bad for your health. There are too many diseases that can be passed on through long pig, no matter how well you cook it. (Even pig can be hazardous, and that's a whole different species - too much biochemical similarity.)

Don't eat the rich, compost with them!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Is it cannibalistic to eat a member of a sapient alien race? It is certainly reprehensible by Western Civilization standards, but I doubt it is cannibalistic. Introduce an alien species that makes humans live longer by eating them and lots of humans will forget their standards due to the fear of death.

I recommend Joan D. Vinge's The Snow Queen.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

It may be acceptable in the context of the MU, but it isn't acceptable from the perspective of the viewer, which is the point.

But is it acceptable to pose our human beliefs on an alien race? The only options are accept them, change them, ignore them, or eliminate them. Changing them might be the worst option since it could involve destroying who they were. After all, there is some fates worse than death as far as we are concerned like being turned into a Borg drone while the Borg Collective might believe they are doing something noble.

But is it acceptable to pose our human beliefs on an alien race? The only options are accept them, change them, ignore them, or eliminate them. Changing them might be the worst option since it could involve destroying who they were. After all, there is some fates worse than death as far as we are concerned like being turned into a Borg drone while the Borg Collective might believe they are doing something noble.

Still missing the point. It is proposed to make this individual the centre of a new series. There is no way, as portrayed thus far, Emp. Georgieu is going to be in anyway relatable to the audience, which is the first rule of good storytelling. This works in the context of her as an antagonist, because the Terran Empire is supposed to seem heinous to us. The characters are supposed to be unrelatable because they're essentially morally depraved versions of their prime counterparts. What they are not supposed to be is the centre of our attention. We are typically given semi-good MU characters to relate to our main characters (the Prime characters), such as M. Spock, 'Smiley', etc. Without that kind of pivot? Georgieu is just an evil tyrant, and typically, Western audiences don't find tyrants entertaining. They find those tyrants getting killed entertaining.

How is making Empress Georgiou the centre of a new series any different from making Burnham the centre of Discovery? At least Georgiou has the whole Stranger in a Strange Land concept going for her.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    She was one of my crushes in the mid 90's, Miss Yeoh, so might be fine.
    I'd rather Disco be about HER and not Burnham. >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    I don't get the point. What's the reason behind a whole series on Section 31? 'Kinda makes them somewhat less secret. A series on Starfleet Intelligence, why not? But not S31.

Also the Emperor is a cannibalistic space Naz.i. Lorca was at least redeemable. The Emperor is not.

#TASforSTO

artan42 wrote: »
    I don't get the point. What's the reason behind a whole series on Section 31? 'Kinda makes them somewhat less secret. A series on Starfleet Intelligence, why not? But not S31.

Also the Emperor is a cannibalistic space Naz.i. Lorca was at least redeemable. The Emperor is not.

People started to confuse S31 with the 'heroes' of the stories sometimes around ENT and now this stuff is highly popular. S31 has semi-canonically been established to be the sole reason the Federation still exists and their personnel gets that weird '24' or 'homeland' antihero pathos. I thought it's ten years too late for this, but it's basically what floats peple's boat these days.

Which also means it is completely irrelevant what any of the other protagonists do. Because in the end, it always only works because someone "does what has to be done" behind the scenes. It's really pretty dumb.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif