test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beams and Procs

rattleshark#0665 rattleshark Member Posts: 78 Arc User
How exactly are beams checked to see if a proc occurs ?
It is my understanding that they are checked once per cycle , what i want to know is are they checked individually once per cycle ? Example -> If i am running Quantom phase ,1 Bio Phaser array up front with Speed tweeks Omni and console are all 3 beams being checked every cycle ? ie. 1 (one) 2.5% chance to shield drain , 1(one) 4.5% chance for bio proc with set bonus , 1(one) % chance for haste and 3 (three) separate chances at 2.5% each for sub system off line proc.
I don't want speculation , i want to know exactly how this works.

Comments

• Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Each weapon is checked once, each time that it cycles. (The use of the term cycle here is not shipwide, it's because many weapons actually fire multiple times in a single burst; it's telling you that it does not check on every shot.)

A bio phaser has 2 separate procs , if i add embassy console it has 3 separate procs , if i add Iconian rep trait + 2.5% chance for radiation proc the phaser now has 4 procs , are all 4 procs being checked every cycle on every beam ? Now if i have 4 bio phaser , each phaser is being checked individually once per cycle for 4 seperate chances to proc ?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I went to Tribble server and I put 2 of the new Phasic Harmonic phasers on my ship. Had them on autofire and all the rest off. Went into one of the red swirls in the Alpha Quadrant and just pew pewed till things died, for the most part. In the combat log, I hit 366 times with the phasics and got 32 dissonance damage hits (their proc). Not really a scientific survey of proc'ness, and there was some FAWs going on too. Probably skewed the results.
  • Options
    Each weapon is checked once, each time that it cycles. (The use of the term cycle here is not shipwide, it's because many weapons actually fire multiple times in a single burst; it's telling you that it does not check on every shot.)

A bio phaser has 2 separate procs , if i add embassy console it has 3 separate procs , if i add Iconian rep trait + 2.5% chance for radiation proc the phaser now has 4 procs , are all 4 procs being checked every cycle on every beam ? Now if i have 4 bio phaser , each phaser is being checked individually once per cycle for 4 seperate chances to proc ?

Your phrasing indicates that you are still thinking of "cycle" meaning all of the weapons on the whole ship firing once. That's not what it means. Each weapon is treated completely independently of the others (since they do not HAVE to fire at the same time, this should be obvious).

And yes, each weapon would be checked for all possible procs once each time that THAT WEAPON cycles.

That said... the chances being as low as they are, even with multiple procs like that, you only have a 10-20% chance that any of them will come up. (And yes, you might get multiple at the same time.)

I was getting conflicting information on how procs are checked. I needed to know for certain that 5 arrays in autofire are all being checked each time they cycle.
    In my mind 5 arrays in autofire = 1 weapon cycle ( for the sake of this thread )
    Good idea or bad idea is another question. I set up a science ship with 400 EPG slotting Temp Op primary , strategist secondary and did not want a torpedo boat. I used Engineer captain to keep weapon power up , slotted 1 torp for superchaged weapons and run 5 arrays in FAW3 +Kemocite 2 as often as it comes up , i am getting haste from speed tweeks set , M6 console E-Power to weapons and Temp Ops primary. I didn't want my ship weapons sitting as place holders for set bonus.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I believe it works this way: when you watch your weapons...you will see clock counting down seconds or a line go down the icon box there. Then, you will see a line go in a circle.

The weapon does not fire when the line goes in a circle...THAT is the break between cycles.
    That is on each individual weapon, and each weapon type it is different.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I was getting conflicting information on how procs are checked. I needed to know for certain that 5 arrays in autofire are all being checked each time they cycle.
    In my mind 5 arrays in autofire = 1 weapon cycle ( for the sake of this thread )

That is exactly what I am trying to tell you. Your assumption here is wrong and is what is causing your confusion. 1 weapon cycle means one cycle for one weapon. Each weapon is handled completely separately.

Got it. Position 1 beam fires first starting it's weapon cycle and is checked , position 2 fires next starting it's cycle and is checked and so on. So all 5 arrays are being checked individually because they cycles are independent of each other.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

Your phrasing indicates that you are still thinking of "cycle" meaning all of the weapons on the whole ship firing once. That's not what it means. Each weapon is treated completely independently of the others (since they do not HAVE to fire at the same time, this should be obvious).

And yes, each weapon would be checked for all possible procs once each time that THAT WEAPON cycles.

That said... the chances being as low as they are, even with multiple procs like that, you only have a 10-20% chance that any of them will come up. (And yes, you might get multiple at the same time.)
    for a while whenever BOL proced, at least the overload effect would proc on all beams firing in that round of weapons fire. I got accused of cheating once when it happened.

Spock.jpg