test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Lower Decks animated series

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Sci-fi comedy. A difficult thing to master, for every Red Dwarf, there's a Hyperdrive
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    CBS All Access orders Star Trek: Lower Decks cartoon

Star Trek: Lower Decks, a half-hour cartoon series from Mike McMahan (Rick & Morty, Hulu’s Solar Opposites), has been given a two-season order at CBS All Access, TheWrap has confirmed.

Star Trek: Lower Decks will focus on the support crew serving one of Starfleet’s least important ships and is the first production by CBS Eye Animation Productions from CBS Television Studios. Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek: Discovery) will executive produce via his Secret Hideout banner and alongside Roddenberry Entertainment.

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end.’ His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every ‘Trek’ episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of ‘Trek’ to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice,” said Kurtzman.

“As a life-long Trekkie, it’s a surreal and wonderful dream come true to be a part of this new era of ‘Star Trek. ‘While ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks’ is a half-hour, animated show at its core, it’s undeniably ‘Trek’ — and I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program,” added McMahan.

McMahan, Heather Radin, Trevor Roth, and Katie Krentz will also serve as executive producers on the project. The idea was brought to McMahan by Aaron Baiers, who will serve as co-executive producer.

Star Trek: Lower Decks is part of CBS All Access’ expansion of the Trek universe.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Link to the Variety article:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-trek-animated-series-cbs-all-access-lower-decks-1202993145/

Why do I get the feeling that this will be the best Star Trek show to appear on CBS All Access? I wonder what time period it will be set in. If it's around the time of TOS, then I hope the redshirts are wearing red shirts.

EDIT: There's another thread on this series.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1244741/star-trek-lower-decks-animated-series
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    Quoting myself from the other thread on this series:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1244749/star-trek-lower-decks
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that this will be the best Star Trek show to appear on CBS All Access? I wonder what time period it will be set in. If it's around the time of TOS, then I hope the redshirts are wearing red shirts.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I give Roddenberry credit for creating Star Trek but IMO some of the best Trek was written by others.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I just want them to secure the occasional advice of John Scalzi, author of Redshirts.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hmmm... I like animated. I like comedy. So, I will watch.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I bet it only goes 1 season, if that.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Given it's going to be written by one of the creators of "Rick and Morty"; I hope there's a crossover. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Two days ago I said I was surprised there wasn't a Trek sitcom yet. I didn't think of an animated sitcom, but still, prophetic?

It looks more and more like CBS wants to float its All Access on Trek fans. Hopefully having so many shows will dilute the impact of CBS execs on the various shows.
    edited October 2018
    All Access is where they will put shows that don’t fit their programming blocks. Remember this was a network that had trouble fitting Supergirl in during the height of the Superhero Golden Age. This is why you’ll see shows like Star Trek and Jordan Peele’s Twilight Zone on it.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I'm just looking forward to all the TruFans(tm) whining about how this new show "violates canon" and is "a slap in the face" that "no real Trek fan watches".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Tru Fans (tm) don’t laugh at Trek
    Your pain runs deep.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Although they were definitely geared toward children, some of the Clone Wars and Rebels were fairly decent, so perhaps this will be also.

The episode from TNG Lower Decks was actually one of the better ones, as well.

All-in-all, could be a whole lot worse.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Seems that MacFarlane's Orville series is having an impact. CBS is trying their own version of 'comedy Trek' in cartoon form. Are they really that desperate that they have to copy a 'homage' series just to get people to watch some form of Star Trek on their All Access channel? Wow... seriously, wow.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I think CBS has seen what Disney has done to run Star Wars into the ground and said to them "Hold my beer"
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Not desperate at all, they want each show to have a different tone. This DSC is hard drama, Picard will be different, so will this show, and neither will be the same tone. The goal is to avoid some of the problems of the Berman years by having each show have a different feel. This has been mentioned by all of the producers on the 3 series, DSC, Picard, and now this series. They have talked about the subject at 3 straight conventions.

I hope Paramount is paying attention, if ST Beyond had been promoted half as well as CBS has done for Trek in the last year it could have doubled it's box office. There are reasons they fired their marketing director right after.

yah, good point on all points, but Discovery was bad enough I'm not really inclined to give the others a chance.

That’s a good call! I fully support it. Please don’t watch it, please don’t think about it and most of all please don’t write about it in the forums of this game! Would you do that for me, PLEASE? I think it is a win/win for both of us, not to mention everybody else.

We both know allready that you won’t and will watch it, every single episode, right? Now in that case please consider that giving such empty perspectives won’t contribute much to your credibility as to how you view things.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Another new Trek thing?

Isn't franchise fatigue part of what did the IP in the first time around?

How did someone decide just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks was even remotely a good idea?

Oversaturation should be avoided, not encouraged. Spread it out a few more years. Earn your spin-offs.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Another new Trek thing?

Isn't franchise fatigue part of what did the IP in the first time around?

How did someone decide just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks was even remotely a good idea?

Oversaturation should be avoided, not encouraged. Spread it out a few more years. Earn your spin-offs.

I understand that in a day an age where some people keep on eating even though they already have a body weight of 150 kilos + that having too much of something could lead to problems.

Still I never felt oversaturated on trek as far as the sum is concerned back in the 90s. Problem was rather that for every good episode released you ended up watching two bad ones. I mean even the first two seasons of enterprise was nothing but a redress of stuff one already saw for seasons on the other shows before finally trying out something new (when it was too late).

I don’t see any of such problems here. We look at a production volume of 16 new episodes per seasons now? Even if you add 2 more shows to that there is no way things will get oversaturated like back in the 90s and when they work hard enough on keeping the shows different and try out something new it will be even less of a problem.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated