test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Of Different Stars"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
A Starfleet Officer, flung into the future, meets someone he never expected, in our latest fiction blog

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11009013

Comments

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    OMG I dislike these blogs so much. Then again happy for those who are into these. Just give me pew...pew...pew tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • warhammeredwarhammered Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Major problem with this. How would the 'Discovery' era character manage to instantly recognise a real 24th century Klingon and not those Orc things, that aren't even the Human-augment virus ones of the 2260's?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @warhammered said:
    > Major problem with this. How would the 'Discovery' era character manage to instantly recognise a real 24th century Klingon and not those Orc things, that aren't even the Human-augment virus ones of the 2260's?

Because the visual differences we the audience see do not exist in universe. By the way, Discovery is canon, T'Kuvma and the rest are real Klingons.

notmycanon =p this stuff would never of been a problem if the tv shows didnt shoe horn into the older series. it was DS9 right when they went to the past and had to recreate the old look and explain away the klingon differences... I honestly did not complain when Christopher Lloyd looked different in Klingon than the TV series... same reason I didnt freak out on the new Fed Uniforms from movie 1 and 2 to TV.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Major problem with this. How would the 'Discovery' era character manage to instantly recognise a real 24th century Klingon and not those Orc things, that aren't even the Human-augment virus ones of the 2260's?

I'm sure they had pictures of Klingons from Archer's time, and I am sure that they saw quite a bit of pictures and videos of them after Daniels recognized them.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Deep Space Two isn't Cardassian. Not every 'Deep Space' station is Cardassian.
    So your picture is wrong! >:)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator

I'm sure they would have used K-7 if there was an observation port. Using existing assets, they'd be limited. DS9 has convenient viewports, unlike many other social hubs.

As to the fiction blog... VERY interesting. I like how they handled this one.

And can people leave out their bias regarding Discovery and the look of the Klingons for once? That dead horse has been beaten so much its mashed potatos now! We get it, some people don't like it. People didn't like TNG or DS9 when they came out either.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    I like this Lt. Thox. He's got wisdom.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @warhammered said:
    > Major problem with this. How would the 'Discovery' era character manage to instantly recognise a real 24th century Klingon and not those Orc things, that aren't even the Human-augment virus ones of the 2260's?

Because the visual differences we the audience see do not exist in universe. By the way, Discovery is canon, T'Kuvma and the rest are real Klingons.

In any event, all Temporal agents and displaced are given a crash course in all the changes that occurred inbetween their original time frame and their new one. He would've been educated.
    I caught that too.

rattler2 wrote: »

I'm sure they would have used K-7 if there was an observation port. Using existing assets, they'd be limited. DS9 has convenient viewports, unlike many other social hubs.

And can people leave out their bias regarding Discovery and the look of the Klingons for once? That dead horse has been beaten so much its mashed potatos now! We get it, some people don't like it. People didn't like TNG or DS9 when they came out either.

There isn't one in Wildman's office?

Heck Starfleet interiors are pretty standard, they could've used the window in a Ready Room for the same effect.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Ok... I'll admit that I haven't really seen the show (mainly due to the fact that it's behind a paywall more than anything else), but since we're so big on explanations... has anyone considered this?

The Klingons' appearance in Discovery may be due to an attempt to reverse the effects caused by the Augment virus. But since the damage was caused by the Klingons' disastrous attempt at genetic engineering in the first place, perhaps this attempt was a failure that resulted in even further disfigurement? Of course, this might have been limited to the ones that were in the show.

Now, I'll admit, this explanation is probably pretty far out there. Like I said, I haven't watched the show. But could it be a possibility?
    Post edited by captainrc1 on
    zv66x44hmssm.jpg
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2018

And can people leave out their bias regarding Discovery and the look of the Klingons for once? That dead horse has been beaten so much its mashed potatos now!

Those Disco Klingons were already potatoes long before they got bashed- I mean smashed. I mean look at their heads.... elongated potato heads.

tumblr_oxegwsY6bw1w8hpj6o1_1280.jpg?w=605&ssl=1

"Repulsive..." Least they're giving them facial hair in S2. It helps marginally.

690ad8e8468ddf2b7132738bbec3567c.jpg​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Although I do really like Clare's Klingon. She had unique costume/headdress, even though I am not a fan of Disco Klingons. Maybe it was because of the gold or those eyes...

DSLmjJBUEAA2rd9.jpg​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, I liked this story. :)
    I usually don't, so I quit reading these story blogs.
    But curiosity about the Klingon in the comments, won out.

Who wrote this one?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The image is a bit odd. I mean the Discovery-era displaced still wears the discovery uniform pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Yo, Kael. You really should explore writing a Star Trek novel. Like now. Immediately. Yesterday would have been better but it is not too late to start today.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    captaind3 wrote: »

Not that I remember no. K-7 has a distinct LACK of viewports. Unlike 39-Sierra, which is almost ALL viewports along one wall and in T'Nae's office.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Not that I remember no. K-7 has a distinct LACK of viewports. Unlike 39-Sierra, which is almost ALL viewports along one wall and in T'Nae's office.
    I just looked... not a single external window. It has a few INTERNAL windows, but none looking outside.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    THIS is Star Trek tale at its best. I do not focus on how klinks look or anything else. This could be the story of ANY era character displaced from war or conflict with klinks to a future like this. ENT in the middle of the conflict with Xindi then transported to a future where they are part of the Federation with some still being antagonistic to FEDs, or TOS characters before the Organians stepped in, having had friends dead to the conflict and then suddenly being in STO era.

Its all a matter of story, the philosophy of Trek, the real one. One day my enemy is my future ally. i.e. Japan and USA. Britain and USA. All of the European Union was at war with one another at one point now they are allies. Past the atrocities of their ancestors towards one another, dealing with the conflict inside, moving forward, healing. Sometimes wars come out because no one can compromise, its until the hot blood runs in rivers and cools down that reason can prevail, because all sides see they do die, and suffer. Its lamentable, but its reality. But that can change, we do not need that conflict, we can reason, we can learn from those mistakes our ancestors or even we have made. "Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum"-Seneca