test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do people not like Discovery?

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    And there are holocommunications, and other so-called "vanished technologies", in every incarnation except TOS (and ENT, of course). If their not being mentioned or shown means they didn't exist, then toilets didn't exist either.

Toilets are on screen, tho'. Kirk even sits on one.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • feralaffferalaff Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Ok, this is my personal opinion on the show:
    1) I don't like being a prequel. This is Sci-Fi, about the future, let's go on after nemesis! There are plenty opportunities to develop after Shinzon. And messing with past things is not a great idea.

2) I don't like the characters crew. Burnham is the worst one...not just almost a mary sue character but it's cleary a forced plot character. Saru is interesting instead, that "prey attitude" is particular at least. Cpt. Georgiou was much better than burnham.
    And that Sarek relationship is super forced. (Why they didn't make her vulcan, that would have been more logical).

3) klingon space orcs....they're well done, but are NOT klingons! They're a mix of dark elves/Orcs from a fantasy world. They could be nice and fine if they were called aliens xyz and NOT klingons.

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    What I like about Discovery: the overall story and the visuals(which includes a lot of different things).

What I don't like: some(not all) really cringeworthy writing/dialogue. (mostly from Burnham)

So all in all, I like about 90% of Discovery. But that 10% I don't like is extremely annoying when it happens, and makes me want to fast forward or just stop watching until I forget that feeling and go back later.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    Then there is the problem that The Orville captures the essence of Star Trek far better than Discovery with its social commentary.

LOL! No.

So where does Discovery follows the Star Trek creed of "Space: the final frontier.....to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!"? The Vulcan Hello dealt with helping a pre-warp civilization obtain fresh water due to a mining accident. Into the Forest I Go dealt with finding some way to counteract the Klingons' cloaking devices. The Mirror Universe arc was about trying to get back to their own universe. None of these situations was about the joy of exploration while The Orville has a few episodes purely about the joy of exploration.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the 'joy of exploration' is almost as big of a joke as the 'glory of war'...there is no glory in war and there is no joy in exploration​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the 'joy of exploration' is almost as big of a joke as the 'glory of war'...there is no glory in war and there is no joy in exploration​​
    Yeah, exploration is mostly about doing boring stuff so that others don't have to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I am certain that Neil Armstrong was excited when he was taking his first steps on the Moon. There is something special about being the first person to experience a particular scene. Americans were full of the frontier spirit, but it seems to be decaying over the years.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User

I absolutely disagree with the joy in exploration part of this statement.

As a boy I was the one who went out into the woods to build new trails, find new hangout spots, new trees for tree houses. Then I'd bring my friends there, hang out a few days or weeks, and then go off exploring again.

As a young man I pedaled my 10-speed all over Southeast Louisiana and Southwest Mississippi, searching out new places for my biking friends to pedal. I also spent quite a few days sailing the Pontchartrain Basin and the Mississippi Sound in a 22' sloop-rig.

When I was in the Navy I snorkeled every time I could get away from the ship, and if the water was too cold I explored towns, not just the nearest bars to the pier the ship was tied to, but the places where the locals went. I even tried to walk around St.John in the US Virgin Islands, but it was too big, and had private beaches.

Even now I'm prone to getting on my motorcycle and riding off to someplace I've never been just to see what's there. You'd be surprised what you can see in small out of the way paces all across the USA.

You know, today my niece mentioned that she wanted to visit her aunt, (not my sister,) in Reno, and I pointed out that the Grand Canyon is kind of on the way. I'm thinking I can drive at night so she can have the days with her kids. If we make good enough time, the Redwoods of California aren't too much farther. I could do it alone easy in three or four days there and about the same back. We'll see how much the kids slow us down.

I find intense joy in exploration. It is a feeling I cannot describe unless you feel it too, in which case I don't need to describe it to you. If you don't like waking up in a strange place, seeing a new sight you never imagined to see, meeting a person who is so different from you that you can't help but notice how much you are alike, well, I pity you. You will never know how beautiful the world can truly be, or how wonderful the people in it truly are.
    "You can't dislike Y because other, unrelated people disliked X years ago. You like X ergo you like Y"
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cha0tic1acha0tic1a Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I'm amazed at the naivety of the writers from the beginning. It's almost like they wrote a prequel with no concept of what happened in TOS and the blinkered stupidity that thousands upon thousands of Star Trek fans wouldn't pick apart every single thing they do in order to find errors in continuty. That alone makes me dislike the program.

And some of the writing makes me cringe...seven red stars suddenly popped up thousands of light years away and apart, so what? You're already a millenium too late to reacte because those 'lights' came on a thousand years ago.

It's an average sci-fi show with the words Star Trek tacked on because that name sells, without that tag it would possibly just vanish into mediocrity.

As for it ruining ST: Online because it isn't Star Trek...I'm still looking for the episode when Kirk/Picard/Sisco/Archer/Janeway beamed in anywhere, slaughtered dozens of mooks with a Herald beam projecter and looted their still twiching corpses. Because that seems to be 90% of what the game is about.

I welcome any new content into the game, if I need my fix of Star Trek I'll stick on a DVD not play ST:Online.

All IMHO, etc, etc
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    cha0tic1a wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the naivety of the writers from the beginning.

I'd personally use the word 'arrogance' over naivety, and point at the execs over the writers.
    And some of the writing makes me cringe...seven red stars suddenly popped up thousands of light years away and apart, so what? You're already a millenium too late to reacte because those 'lights' came on a thousand years ago.

Two things:
    1) Subspace sensors aren't limited by the speed of light.
    2) Star Trek has regularly (often flagrantly) violated the laws of physics (and depended upon a suspension of disbelief) in order to tell its story.

We have ships flying like maritime warships rather than like they're in a vacuum, communicating with each other across thousands of light years in real time, where various species which evolved separate from each other are sufficiently genetically compatible to bear children, with directed energy weapons capable of either incinerating a person or merely rendering them unconscious without injury on the same basic principles, and where it is possible to completely disassemble a person at the subatomic level, transmit those subatomic particles across space and then reassemble said particles in such a way that the person still has ongoing brain functions when they rematerialise. And witnessing new stars cropping up is a major issue? Personally, I have an easier time believing in an ability to witness events using sensors operating FTL (which is already theoretically possible via quantum tunnelling) than I do in a phaser stun.

(Note to others: I specifically left out 'Spock's Brain' as an example because that episode is widely panned by the fanbase as absurd. Better to use examples which are generally accepted.)
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Not really the point.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Missing the point. Read that article. Notice anything familiar about the arguments being made there?

What exactly is the point then? In reaction to someone listing their points of criticism the reply is, again and as so often, that people had similar complaints when TNG came out. How is that relevant to the person voicing their criticism?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    It still is in no way relevant in the context, aside from being a rather rude attempt to dismiss criticism per majority rule. That's poor debate culture. Shouldn't we be able to simply discuss the brought up points instead of simply trying to be mean, essentially?
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    They can't except that it can't look like it did in 1966, technology has advanced so much that it would actually be harder to make things look like they did in TOS.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It still is in no way relevant in the context, aside fro0m being a rather rude attempt to dismiss criticism per majority rule. That's poor debate culture. Shouldn't we be able to simply discuss the brought up points instead of simply trying to be mean, essentially?
    If the critique is really the same as against TNG; I think it's relevant in context. It might be dismissive, but if you tell me the Earth is flat, when the arguments that show that it isn't have already been discussed plenty before, I think it's okay to refer to the previous discussion and dismiss further talk about it.

If the critique is something else, however, it would be wrong. I think some critique towards Discovery is different, but some isn't, and if people discuss the repeated parts, it's just a waste. It would instead be more interesting to discuss new flaws unique to Discovery (because as a DISCO fan, I think it definitely has), but we never get to talk about it anywhere.

People rather talk about how it's not like TOS/TNG, rather than "the ending was rushed and uneven" or "The mystery and final reveal around Lorca was cool, but his characterization afterwards felt like a big let down".

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    what mystery? there was NO mystery - anyone with a functioning brain knew he was either section 31 or from the mirror universe the second he appeared in episode 3

no, actually, you know what - everyone knew long before that because producers don't know how to keep their damn mouths shut​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sarpek138sarpek138 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Ok, sorry if any of my comments are already voiced, but I will voice them here.

Star Trek Discovery is part of the Kelvin Time Line. How do we know this, there are several pieces of evidence here. First the Klingons look like those out of Star Trek Into Darkness, not from the hundreds of hours of current Trek. Second, look how the ships go into and out of Warp, same as Star Trek (Kelvin Timeline).

It can fit, remember the Kelvin was destroyed what about 20+ years before Kirk (Chris Pine) and the Enterprise saves Pike and the day. Discovery is just a few years before Kirk finishes the Academy.

I don't like when a prequel presents tech or ideas that are more advanced then the future stuff, or retails stories again and again. Star Trek Enterprise and the time travel stuff got old, the third season was way toooooo long, etc. But Enterprise covered the Borg, the Ferengi, the Tholians, etc. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Enterprise during the first two seasons, after that, I lost interest. TNG, DS9, and what I seen of VOY, didn't rewrite history, but Enterprise tried.

Like I said, Discovery is Kelvin Time Line, so I will leave it at that. If your not sure how that really works out, look at the three Star Trek Movies, Starfleet doesn't seem to have much for ships, and is just starting out with 5 year missions, what happened to the last 100+ years sense enterprise didn't they explore?

So, if you are worried about Discovery rewriting history, just remember it isn't our already created history that's been in the making for the last 50 years. I mean no other Trek other then the new stuff has big windows on the bridge, they all had big monitors.... It is the Kelvin Timeline, so, sit back and enjoy....
    The Troll for reporting bugs and not getting responses. I'm a life time subscribe that has played this game for about 4 years now, spend money all the time and no one cares to fix the bugs.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @brian334 said:
    > No toilets in Trek. They use Transporter Briefs: The Go Anywhere Underwear. (Now available in fashionable women's styles and sizes, for when you want to feel as pretty as you are fresh!)

I get the point, but this is a often repeated falsehood: There are various toilets or bathrooms on-screen in all incarnations of Trek, except for TOS and TAS methinks. 😜

I remember Franks, during the 1994 TNG finale weekend, showed a location of bathrooms on the Engineering MSD of the Enterprise, and it did have a bathroom.....one.

Though I feel the toilets are in everyone's quarters. Just like with other shows, we know they use the bathrooms, but we just don't see them.

And personally, do you REALLY want to see Picard or McCoy pinching a loaf? :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

HOLD IT.
    Same goes for Hawk.

You mean finding a new, unknown place or people....never seen before by any of your species is boring?

Hell, even in games, I enjoy exploring. One reason I love Minecraft, because each world you start is a new world....and you can literally walk for weeks, seeing new areas, finding villages, ruins, and treasures.

Hell, if you could explore the moon or mars, you'd really find that BORING?

But hey, there's a football game on, you go have fun, sir.

dvZq2Aj.jpg