test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enough already with the time travel!

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Open workd pvp? No frakking thanks. I won't play any such game. If I pvp at all its because I choose to, I won't put myself in a position not to have that choice.

Me either. I highly dislike PvP in any form. Open world/forced? Not a chance.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Open workd pvp? No frakking thanks. I won't play any such game. If I pvp at all its because I choose to, I won't put myself in a position not to have that choice.

To be fair, what he was referring to was a separate instance or even a separate server which you could easily opt out of. That's why they are separate in other games after all. People such as yourself who are uninterested in open PVP would obviously quit if they weren't separate.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Yes, there have been threads on this subject in the past. This isn't the first "I hate time travel!" thread.

I don't hate it, I just find it to be an excuse for lazy writing and bad design. We've had more time travel in STO than we've had in all the series combined.

This still isn't the first thread on the topic of time travel. There have been many of them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    QNxkKGV.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    edited October 2018

To be fair, what he was referring to was a separate instance or even a separate server which you could easily opt out of. That's why they are separate in other games after all. People such as yourself who are uninterested in open PVP would obviously quit if they weren't separate.

I doubt this game has enough subscribers to warrant the cost of maintaining such a split; plus they want to continue the "content EVERYONE can play" update paradigm.

They've even stated they considered breaking "Agents of Yesterday" into it's own separate TOS based version of the game; but in the end decided against that and made it the Expansion we got.

Again, for them to do something it has to both:

- Be technically possible
    - Ensure a good RoI/Profit
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > PVP I enjoy, Halo, Gears, C&C, games where no matter what happens in pvp your single player experience at most gets cosmetic unlocks (gold weapon skins, character skins, that kind of thing) & where I will never be shot at a bank terminal, travelling through an area to get to a mission, or anything else like that. A seperate pvp instance would be something else entirely, but I have a feeling it would be almost as expensive as building a whole other game.

This and how many people would even play in the PvP instance? I would guess not that many. It wouldn’t be worth the effort at all.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    > @azrael605 said:
    > PVP I enjoy, Halo, Gears, C&C, games where no matter what happens in pvp your single player experience at most gets cosmetic unlocks (gold weapon skins, character skins, that kind of thing) & where I will never be shot at a bank terminal, travelling through an area to get to a mission, or anything else like that. A seperate pvp instance would be something else entirely, but I have a feeling it would be almost as expensive as building a whole other game.

This and how many people would even play in the PvP instance? I would guess not that many. It wouldn’t be worth the effort at all.

Before Legacy of Romulus the Starship PvP queues filled pretty fast, though the FvK queues were a bit slower for randoms. The creation of Aceton Assimilators insured that the FvK queues died, but still there was a vibrant PvP community centered around Fed PvP, while the Klinks were relegated to old houses and friends in premade teams.

But since the learning curve was already huge at that point making new entry into PvP difficult, and the introduction of Reputation traits and powers made 'time in grade' more important than any single other factor, attracting new members to PvP was difficult.

Ground PvP persisted much longer, but suffered many of the same power creep issues. A captain who has maxxed out all his reps is virtually untouchable by a new level 60 captain, so until you have maxxed out, even trying is pointless. After you have maxxed out there is still a massive learning curve to overcome, so again, it's difficult to cultivate new players.

So PvP died in STO, and there were developers who openly said that was their goal. So be it, it's the past.

PvPers were never a majority of STO players because PvP was a complex art even back when. But I believe the developers overlooked a very important fact as they power-creeped PvP into obscurity: PvP players bought all the gear. They may have been an insignificant part of the market base, but they were invested in the game to a degree the Space Barbies never were.

An that's the angle that could get PvP some attention. PvPers want all the cool stuff, want to tweak their builds constantly in an ever-evolving meta. PvPers spend money! Growing a community that spends money on the game is a worthy goal, even if it's a very small community at first.

I have outlined a plan which would enable players to get into PvP early, and it would also encourage the purchase of those low-tier C-store ship which have been out there a long time. It wouldn't be an open season on everyone type of PvP, but a Wagames type scenario where captains who want to play can, and those who don't won't even have to see them doing it. Bet of all, it would require very little developer attention beyond the upgrade of the Level Matching system which is already in the game, but which has not been updated since release.

A renaissance of the PvP queues would become a cash cow. Perhaps not much at first, but if the PvP community can be grown, it will create a hard core customer base who will support the further growth of the game. Those who don't PvP will still benefit, and never have to see a guy shoot another guy to do so. How can this be a bad thing?
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    [quote=kaggert27;c-13436646]I personally just want Daniels to stop Temporally Date **** my characters. I mean the last one woke up basically drugged on the floor of his Paradox Observational Lounge Playtime Dungeon that you know he hits a button it locks that door and blocks all transporter action right when you beam or walk in[/quote]

😅🤣😂 When I saw Daniels again on my Disco captain I thought exactly the same thing.

Stop Daniels from kidnapping people! And ban time travel and temporal accord nonsense.... Say No to Daniel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZAN8bJwySI​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    well, if we are batting around ideas for story arcs, one that would be ambitious as **** would be mysterious attacks on federation planets, engineered to llok like KDF, and 3-4 fed only episodes, hopefully, a couple of helping out attacked systems, alternating with KDF episodes where the Klingons defend themselves against Federation retaliaton, and lastly, a couple episodes for Roms and Dominion to try to figure out who is behind it finally an all factions episode or two or three to wrap it up.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Yes, there have been threads on this subject in the past. This isn't the first "I hate time travel!" thread.

I don't hate it, I just find it to be an excuse for lazy writing and bad design. We've had more time travel in STO than we've had in all the series combined.

This still isn't the first thread on the topic of time travel. There have been many of them.
    Actually, there's just the one. It's caught in a temporal loop.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    well, if we are batting around ideas for story arcs, one that would be ambitious as **** would be mysterious attacks on federation planets, engineered to llok like KDF, and 3-4 fed only episodes, hopefully, a couple of helping out attacked systems, alternating with KDF episodes where the Klingons defend themselves against Federation retaliaton, and lastly, a couple episodes for Roms and Dominion to try to figure out who is behind it finally an all factions episode or two or three to wrap it up.

I thought they dealt with this in the series before? Romulans were destroying outposts in TOS and the Borg in TNG.
    And of course there are the Iconian attacks on Undine space, meant to look like Allied fleets with their reproductions of BQ ships. Not an attack on Fed planets, to be sure, but the same concept.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    The continual creation of I Hate Time Travel threads is it's own repeating Time Loop of destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJH79bdVag4

We must Decompress Main Shuttle Bay to break the cycle.

the thing i hated most about that episode was the utter disregard for thier guest start's acting ability. they seriously wasted Kelsey Grammar on they episode. Imagine if he had been the captain of the Phoenix in DS9 or the admiral in the Dominion war...
    Spock.jpg

> @starswordc said:
    > And oh by the way, why is it always Hitler? Why do we never think the kid down there is going to grow up to be the next Gandhi or Martin Luther King?

Stalin was worse than Hitler anyway, mathematically anyway.

and so was Pol Pot. but wars were not fought to get rid of Stalin or Pot. Hell most on here are googling just who the hell Pol Pot WAS.
    Spock.jpg

talonxv wrote: »
    > @nixboox said:
    > salazarraze wrote: »
    >
    > Personally, I dislike time travel in story telling. It's a tired overused gimmick. It's also too easily exploited to paper over the cracks of weak writing. That said, Cryptic wants to appeal to as many Star Trek fans as possible to maximize profit so sadly time travel is a necessary evil in running this game.
    >
    > In a perfect world (no pun intended) we'd have different servers for different star trek periods but this game just isn't big enough to support something like that.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes! Exactly! That was my thought too. We can have TOS servers and TNG servers... They're all just instances anyway, there's no reason we should be able to ostracize certain ones to a different point of time. Even easier, really, since the TOS people couldn't go to certain sectors. It would also be nice to caption the ships from TOS in a place where you find all the other TOS ships.
    >
    > I realize that Cryptic is just doing what they can with what they have...but I was here from the very pre-beginning and I know how much the game has changed - so I know what they CAN do and what they DO...and these two things are very different.

I would love instances where we have the iconian war and certain planets are under attack and we can go defend them.

Want PvP? Instance for UFP/KDF war that's open world. Have fun.

But sadly never happen.

that is the only way PVP shold be in an MMO on it's own instance. Log into WoW and it use to be that they had PVP only servers, and if someone did a raid, all you had to do is avoid attacking the other guy in the PVE servers. TOR has PVP instances if you want to go there. there is no reason STO cannot do it other than there would be 12 people in it
    Spock.jpg

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    > @starswordc said:
    > And oh by the way, why is it always Hitler? Why do we never think the kid down there is going to grow up to be the next Gandhi or Martin Luther King?

Stalin was worse than Hitler anyway, mathematically anyway.

and so was Pol Pot. but wars were not fought to get rid of Stalin or Pot. Hell most on here are googling just who the hell Pol Pot WAS.

That's kind of beside the point: I was posing a rhetorical question about why these Prime Directive hypotheticals always assume the worst-case scenario and never even think about the equally likely best-case scenario, or the far more likely scenario where "that kid down there" grows up to be the horrible, terrible, Joe the Plumber (someone completely unremarkable in other words). It's argumentum ad ignorantium in its purest form.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Captain Ben Maxwell

https://youtu.be/RJudJ9S579A
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.