test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunting the Edit Monster

Comments

• forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    I've had the edit monster twice in the past five days or so. Each time, I made post, saved it. Then I spotted an error in it, hit edit, scanned for other errors, saved it. Then I (frustratingly) noticed, not an error, but either a missing word or an extra word in a sentence... hit edit, hit save... post disappears.

Hitting 'go back' doesn't return you to the editing page OR to a page with the text displayed (which you could copy-paste). It is simply gone. The other time I recall getting it (some months ago) was a similar situation... 2-3 edits right after making the post, and poof, gone.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    edited October 2018
    @forcemajeure Your editing issue should be corrected and your post should be returned to the thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I saw a player (after discovery hit) with a newly disappearing post. He complained and I think I managed to see his post before he disappeared by an edit, though the details I don't remember.

I think the edit monster is still very hungry :P (Whitelisting/innoculating, un-shadow-banning and unmutting individuals is not the (only/main) solution you desire for long term, I think. Though OFC fixing issues for individuals is important as well.)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I have been posting and editing quite a bit lately, and haven't seen the monster in while now.
    @westmetals Your editing issue should be corrected and your post should be returned to the thread.
    GrWzQke.png
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Greetings folks. As some folks may be aware we've seen some sightings of the Edit Monster recently. For those unfamiliar with him, he's the monster that eats posts for a snack from time to time whenever he gets hungry. With that in mind comes the serious part. We've been working on a potential solution to shut him down for good and see if we can't put a stop to this annoying issue for everyone. We believe we've made some progress into the issue and have some possible causes identified but we need some assistance from you guys to be certain which I will get to momentarily.

The good news is we've been able to identify where the posts are going when he eats them. As it turns out we discovered a tab visible to myself and other mods as well as anyone with administrator powers on the forums. We believe there is something on the back end causing the edited posts to be mistakenly marked as spam when they shouldn't be. This brings me to what we need from you guys. To be sure of our theory we need you guys to post below and let us know if you have encountered the edit monster previously. If you can give a rough idea of when you last encountered him this could help with checking some things on the backend. Keep in mind this may not be the only possible cause of the edit monster as we're working to resolve this issue with the forums. As folks may be aware the forums are powered by Vanilla and as such Cryptic works with them to resolve such issues. I do not at this time have information about when a fix will come but I can assure you folks that we are working to resolve the issue.

Please leave your name below and a rough timeframe as to when you last encountered the edit monster. This information will be used to check some stuff on the backend and hopefully help us get a possible fix out for you guys. This thread has been passed on to @ambassadorkael#6946 so we can get the ball rolling. Now let's hunt us an edit monster.

UPDATE: We're making some progress on this one folks. There may be some bits of weirdness until things are 100% ironed out. Please continue to list your name if you've been effected by the edit monster.

UPDATE 2: we have implemented some changes that should take care of the edit monster for good. If folks continue to have issues let us know and we will try to resolve them.

I keep having my posts disappear. last post was from this thread: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245815/account-guard-still-not-working

it happened around 7:50 PM PST 12/20/2018

only link in message was too the good old cryptic guard login age. "hxxps://secure.crypticstudios.com/" (hopefully formatting it that way won't make this post disappear too.)
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
    @coitusinteruptus your post should be restored and your posting issue corrected.
    GrWzQke.png
  • oh goody.... quick turn around! thanks alot!
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    I just got hit on this thread:
    https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1246080/pc-personal-endeavors#latest
    Fixing a typo in my 2nd post on the thread on what should be page 3.
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1246080/pc-personal-endeavors#latest

@anubis0sarvour: The winged hussars have arrived. (i.e. fixed)
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User

@anubis0sarvour: The winged hussars have arrived. (i.e. fixed)

whoa. Thank you!
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Yeah, just tried to post and: nada. I hardly post on this site anymore as the Devs are more likely to visit the ST:O subreddit. THis disheartening-post nonsense doesn't help.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Yeah, just tried to post and: nada. I hardly post on this site anymore as the Devs are more likely to visit the ST:O subreddit. THis disheartening-post nonsense doesn't help.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    Just went through the entire spam queue, restored ALL the eaten posts, and verified all those users. Hopefully, those individuals no longer have posting issues.
    GrWzQke.png
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    There seems to be a problem when editing a post. You are able to edit it for awhile until it hits some sort of time limit. The post I was editing was in the Feedback section of the forums and referred to wanting the color palette unified in STO. These Vanilla forums need to be fixed so this stops happening. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    There seems to be a problem when editing a post. You are able to edit it for awhile until it hits some sort of time limit. The post I was editing was in the Feedback section of the forums and referred to wanting the color palette unified in STO. These Vanilla forums need to be fixed so this stops happening. Thanks. :)

Try it now.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    (Discussion of moderation, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User

Try it now.
    I have a similar problems to sthe91. I had no issues in the past but since the changes in the past few weeks browsing and posting has been difficult. On a fresh visit everything works but if I spend too long on the forums (5mins+). The post button stops working, edit stop working and viewing new threads stops working. I have to fully close the bowser and reopen. Is this related to the edit monster bug? I have heard about the edit monsters for years but until this month it has never hit me.
    That doesn't sound related.
    GrWzQke.png

Try it now.

No dice. My post is still not visible. The name of the thread is Coloured Palette Suggestion in the Controls and Interface section of the Feedback Forums. Please fix. Thanks. :)

Try it now.

No dice. My post is still not visible. The name of the thread is Coloured Palette Suggestion in the Controls and Interface section of the Feedback Forums. Please fix. Thanks. :)

Sorry, I misunderstood: I verified you but I didn't restore the post the first time. It's up and you shouldn't have any more problems.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

Try it now.

Sorry, I misunderstood: I verified you but I didn't restore the post the first time. It's up and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Thank you! :)
    I just encountered a new edit issue a few minutes ago.

I quoted someone's comment and commented on it the usual way, but when I posted it all that showed up was a box with the previous quotes toggle thing in it. Pressing the toggle showed my comment nested in as a quote itself without any of the usual comment markup to get rid of to fix it.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    @phoenixc#0738 do you remember what thread it was in and such? You can link the thread here or pm it to me. We'll check it out for you.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    @phoenixc#0738 do you remember what thread it was in and such? You can link the thread here or pm it to me. We'll check it out for you.

I should have included it, I am not sure why I missed doing that. The post is here:

https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13487741/#Comment_13487741

about halfway down the page.
    I found the problem. There was an extraneous quote in there somehow.
    GrWzQke.png
  • shadowkain666shadowkain666 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Ran into the monster and the beast managed to eat one of my posts from ~8:00pm CST

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1248430/request-for-t6-cardenas
    e63e55c36223829a1ca86f1c34decbb41412849597_604x370.jpg
This discussion has been closed.