test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Extreemly Love ships that level with you!!!

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
By Far the best idea out there is starter ships T1 that can level with you to cap without the need to upgrade... its a total boon I think. personally I haven't played this game much so I am still very much a noobie at it. but I do want to go through all PvE content and I find the different ships very confusing part of when to use them... I love them all but for starting out or a very new player. the leveling ships are a must have...

My feedback though would be to add to the store a type of Box for about 500Zen to convert any older T1 store Starter Ships that level with you to cap. thanks!
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh

Comments

• Options
    nolgroth1972nolgroth1972 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    There are some upsides and downsides to this method. Now before I continue, the leveling ship is something that I have wanted for a very long time. Since about a month after the 2nd Anniversary event when I made my second character in fact.

The Bad
    The ship doesn't level high enough. I mean, Tier 4 is great and all but with the 150,000 XP boost, you are going to get there really fast. Then what? You go from this amazing ship into either a Galaxy, Reliant or Voyager? Talk about a let down. Then you have to pay 700 Zen to unlock T5-U on those. Why not let this ship get to that point? I mean, I would rather pay the Zen to unlock T5-U on this ship than one of those. Something that represents that constant upgrade process that we see in nearly every Star Trek show since the Next Generation.

An even better idea would be to have it reach Tier 5 then have a Fleet version unlock that you get to use one of those Fleet Ship Tokens from the Tier 6 Rep system. Everything is tied together for a new player and they end up with an end game quality ship. T6 versions can still be 3,000 Zen and Fleet T6 can gobble up another one (or five) of those Fleet module(s) (depending on whether you bought the Zen version).

The Emitter Linked phasers have no Upgrade option. I believe they scale with the character (opened the ship on my main toon and they were listing competent damage in Dyson space), but they will always be Common quality. I would have rather had them freely improve through the traditional Upgrade mechanic with normal chances of quality improvement. Perhaps even higher than normal chances so that you end up with Very Rare MkXII versions by Level 60. From there, you have to Upgrade them like any other gear. Perhaps that is too generous for a 1,500 Zen pack.

The ship is an Easy button. Seriously, with so many weapon slots, this ship performs better than the ones I make VR gear for my new toons to use. Somebody entering the game for the first time that decides that STO and this new Starter Pack are two great tastes that go together will either be turned off by the fact that your shields almost never show damage or that once you get to end game, the difficulty will spike very high in comparison.

The Good
    The ship is beautiful. I want it for my end game toons to use. It could use a higher Tac bridge officer (LtCdr is fine), an extra tac console and an additional Uni ensign slot, but those are minor gripes (that could coincidentally be addressed by my suggestions above). I like that it is a compact cruiser, much like the Reliant. Perfectly sized and maneuverable compared to flapjack turners and other bloated ship designs. Kudos to the ship designer on this one.

Having played the game before, the Easy button is fine for me. Being able to quickly dispatch enemies to cut through the content and carve my way through enemies is perfectly fine and fun for me. I know what is coming and am prepared for that difficulty spike towards end game.

It comes with Emitter-linked Phasers. While I might complain about them above, those are some cool looking weapons with that nice little passive bonus to shields. For early game content, these are way cool.

The overall aesthetic like the scanning and warp mechanism are amazing. Probably right from the Discovery show but they are very welcome additions.

Overall
    This is a good ship and marks a positive direction in Cryptic ship design. It needs to go further down that rabbit hole so that end game characters can enjoy the ship. Maybe bump the Starter pack cost up to 2000 Zen and go from there. One the whole I am pleased with the ship, but I am not ecstatic about it. Unless Cryptic makes scaling ships viable for end game content, I will probably not be spending any more money on them. End game comes too quickly and 1,500 Zen is just too much for another Admiralty ship, even if it is account-wide.
    Post edited by nolgroth1972 on
  • Options
    i love all your suggestion which makes a lot of sense. and is pretty much how i wanted the leveling ships to be. question though for pure PvE is the spike that big with every day content and say running daily's? i am not much into the Que system haven't done a lot of it or the foundry. Basically i am a Casual solo type player.

but maybe in the future the ship will have a conversion update to upgrade its scaling account wide to end game. which would be really nice, and i would pay on top for that around 750 Zen for an upgrade to making it progress to T6.

• Options
    I think 2250 Zen for a T6 is asking too much. Considering that T6 ships generally run 3,000 Zen. Not only that, you get the pet (whoo hoo :neutral: ), you get an Experience upgrade and the upgrading personal weapons.

As far as end game content, I noticed that Delta Rising through the whole time travel arc was really tough. I have optimized my ship builds so that the Gamma missions were not too terrible, but I suspect that they will be tough if you haven't. Once level 65 rolls across, it really bares the difficulty teeth. Also, while I have been assured that no such thing exists, sometimes the scaling bugs out and a mission that you have done numerous times previously is suddenly WAY more difficult. Like your hits start registering 1 hp and the enemies seem to be doing a little extra. It clears up after a short while but I often get to see the wonderful "Defeated" window before it does.

None of that is a huge deal if you have a reasonably optimized ship, but a T4 is not going to cut it at those levels. A T5-U or T6 is your best bet. If you are stuck with a T4, you can make it work, but your console budget is much more limited and your Hull HP value is severely under-powered. .
  • Options
    I think 2250 Zen for a T6 is asking too much. Considering that T6 ships generally run 3,000 Zen. Not only that, you get the pet (whoo hoo :neutral: ), you get an Experience upgrade and the upgrading personal weapons.

As far as end game content, I noticed that Delta Rising through the whole time travel arc was really tough. I have optimized my ship builds so that the Gamma missions were not too terrible, but I suspect that they will be tough if you haven't. Once level 65 rolls across, it really bares the difficulty teeth. Also, while I have been assured that no such thing exists, sometimes the scaling bugs out and a mission that you have done numerous times previously is suddenly WAY more difficult. Like your hits start registering 1 hp and the enemies seem to be doing a little extra. It clears up after a short while but I often get to see the wonderful "Defeated" window before it does.

None of that is a huge deal if you have a reasonably optimized ship, but a T4 is not going to cut it at those levels. A T5-U or T6 is your best bet. If you are stuck with a T4, you can make it work, but your console budget is much more limited and your Hull HP value is severely under-powered. .

I am Curious i have asked a few times in the forums about doing all PvE story content was manageable in almost any ship and stock tier appropriate gear from the NPC Vendors... did they patch something? just wondering because i tried a few times to get into the game just kept getting side tracked.

• Options
    Hahahaha....no.

Typically those that make that sort of claim are not running around with stock gear. More likely they are running around in a T6 with MkXV Epic gear and an optimized build.

Fortunately, the casual player can find a place in the game. It requires a little effort but isn't so taxing as to be a horrible, constant grind. It's just a horrible, short grind. :)

This scaling ship is a good example. It has a consistent set of weapons. Throw a couple of phaser arrays into the tac slots, pick up a neutronium console and a the engineering consoles the boost engine and shield power. For science consoles, try emitter array and the console that comes with the ship. Slide your weapon power to 100%. Voilà, you have a decent budget ship.

Later, when you hit end game, just make sure to get MkXII rare or very rare gear, pick up mission drops, etc. Also set up your traits and quick bar.

You'll still run into problems, but a decent, planned budget build is easy and way better than using vendor equipment.
  • Options
    Back to scaling ships. Another option is to just transform all ships to T6-S(caling) and have mastery trigger at level 50 or 55. The ships scale just like the starter pack ship but go all the way up.

Instead of having a distinct Fleet version of the ship, a Fleet upgrade just adds further hull cap, shield mod, additional console, and Admiralty card.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    It's a nice idea, from a player's perspective, but Cryptic would be losing a bundle from new ship sales. A lot of people would just buy they're favourite and keep it forever. There're things that benefit players, and things that benefit the company... guess which one has priority :*
  • Options
    No different than right now I suspect. A lot of folks I've talked to use only the free ships leveling up and the event ships like the Breen or Risan ships. No matter what scheme is used, they are simply not interested in investing the time, effort, or money.

Then you have the overwhelming majority of players that buy different ships for whatever reason. Many buy for traits or consoles. Some to get that ship from whatever series they love. Still others because they love to tinker with builds. I'm guessing that those folks will continue to shell out money, time, and/or effort for new ships.

I, for example, am saving up for the Tucker and the Thozyn for their respective traits.

The only downsides I see are potentially fewer admiralty ships and obtaining consoles that come on lower tier versions of some ships. My solution to those issues is potentially more income for Cryptic: Admiralty booster packs and individual console purchases.

Again, just thoughts on streamlining ship purchases. I know that I passed on several ship purchases over the years because I knew that the ship had an expiration of usefulness. If I could have carried those ships with me to end game, I have no doubts that Cryptic would have made a little extra money from me.
  • Options
    No different than right now I suspect. A lot of folks I've talked to use only the free ships leveling up and the event ships like the Breen or Risan ships. No matter what scheme is used, they are simply not interested in investing the time, effort, or money.

Then you have the overwhelming majority of players that buy different ships for whatever reason. Many buy for traits or consoles. Some to get that ship from whatever series they love. Still others because they love to tinker with builds. I'm guessing that those folks will continue to shell out money, time, and/or effort for new ships.

I, for example, am saving up for the Tucker and the Thozyn for their respective traits.

The only downsides I see are potentially fewer admiralty ships and obtaining consoles that come on lower tier versions of some ships. My solution to those issues is potentially more income for Cryptic: Admiralty booster packs and individual console purchases.

Again, just thoughts on streamlining ship purchases. I know that I passed on several ship purchases over the years because I knew that the ship had an expiration of usefulness. If I could have carried those ships with me to end game, I have no doubts that Cryptic would have made a little extra money from me.

Ugh my comment went poof!!

Anyhow if we had a T5U type upgrade for all ships that turned them into T6 as we leveled would be really cool. just a boost box basically. price range for upgrading ships to level with us...

T1-T4 imo I would pay 850-1150 Zen

T5 to a T6 500-750 Zen

this is what I would pay not sure if its too much too little but it seems it would be reasonable to me. and if you really don't want to fork out the extra Zen for upgrading a T5 ship then also add that upgrade in the Dil Exchange

• Options
    danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    I like scaling ships, but I honestly would rather have tiers just outright removed and all ships re-balanced to reflect such changes... but my desire would be too huge of an overhaul for sure and I accept that. Dreams tho right?

Game is older though, so I don't see the real need to keep everything 'challenging' as before since 95% of those doing the older mission content is people replaying it for the 50th time for their DilFarmer5000.