test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any benefit to rolling a Discovery toon?

Comments

• dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I haven't seen any actual incentive for creating a new DSC era toon, other than experiencing BRILLIANT voice acting from Mary Wiseman.

I also enjoy the DSC transporter effect, so that's pretty cool, PLUS I love how DSC seems to connect ENT, TOS, with a bit of Kelvin timeline styling, so for me that's another plus.

Anyway - I'm an altoholic, so my brand new captain will give me lots of fun discovering (pun intended ;) ) the Galaxy!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Benefit of a new Disco toon? The ones I could gather so far:

- Be able to play a new tutorial (lol ONE TIME!!)
    - New interface UI
    - Someone said having a Dico toon is needed to unlock the new story line for your other characters but I had no time to confirm that.

From the looks of it I make a new character this weekend which is named

The Vulcan just here for the Tutorial@peterconnorfirst (@tunebreaker big thanks :D )

play the same and call it a day. Sorry I have 12 chars already and what I get offered here is not enough to give more about it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Haha.. that's a great character name.

I might have to do something similar. :smiley:

Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2018
    Haha.. that's a great character name.

I might have to do something similar. :smiley:

Lol yea please do. Parts of me feel bad about it a bit as Cryptic surely put some effort into the new thing but I simply have reached my limits so can’t take it serious anymore. :)

- I don’t want to level a 13th toon to end with 95% of the story being the same
    - I don’t want to fill 156 instead of 144 rep sliders each day
    - I don’t want to claim another 100 admirality ships
    - I don’t want to gain CXP for weeks in undine BZ again
    - I don’t want to fill the same spec trees again for months
    - I don’t want to want to engage crafting again for one to two years to max out that system

I think that Dico is a journey better enjoyed by a new generation of players. Sorry for Cryptic but I really think I did my part already in this game as far as new toons in cencerned.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User

*chuckles* "new".

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1

*chuckles* "new".

Lol well, if it is not so new all the better for me. :p
    animated.gif
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I will add: get to kill "Klingorcs"...or however you spell it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    Yeah, not really much point ... <sigh> Daniels ... again?!?!?

Well, guess I'll "park" this toon until they add some more TRIBBLE content.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Story, character, fun, and recruitment awards from the past 3 event. ;P

Personally, I think the DSC starting experience. It takes the high points from the FED tutorial and flips around the entry into 2409 just enough that it really doesn't (to me) feel like AoY (there's a big difference in dynamics, namely an antagonist experiencing the same arc. The vague threat of Na'Kuhl doesn't compare.) The journal changes too help a lot make another character less of a grind, I skipped past most of the Klingon War and I'm running Nimbus and the Romulan arc in tandem as my entry point to 2409. It's very reinvigorating, highlights what makes STO fun (story, character development, and playing around in the setting.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ktbu#5082 ktbu Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    No.

I made one and tried it out. Deleted toon immediately when I completed the 2 missions.

This was all just a sham to try and get new players to try the game. It has absolutely nothing to do with bringing new content to the game. It is just a revamped tutorial. I say try it just to see what they did.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    koppster wrote: »
    Not logged in yet and didn't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm wondering are there account-wide benefits/unlocks associated with levelling an AoD character?

Not at level 20 with the new char yet, but i think it will be similar to the AoY bonuses.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I love the faction-specific sound and visual effects, that's for sure.

And I kinda hate that my pre-existing Fed character with a Crossfield does not have these sound effects! Particularly the warp sounds.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I love the faction-specific sound and visual effects, that's for sure.

And I kinda hate that my pre-existing Fed character with a Crossfield does not have these sound effects! Particularly the warp sounds.

Agreed. They really should change this.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    koppster wrote: »
    Not logged in yet and didn't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm wondering are there account-wide benefits/unlocks associated with levelling an AoD character?

Not at level 20 with the new char yet, but i think it will be similar to the AoY bonuses.

They can take advantage of all other recruitment events, but they do not unlock anything new (it hasn't been that long since ViL...)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thearkadythearkady Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Given that the new starting experience is reskin garbage - I swear, aside from Tilly, that's mostly the same lines, too, just with different voice actors - there's absolutely no point to a TRIBBLE era character.

Cryptic really should not have been too lazy to reskin the AoY recruitment event for AoD. That'd make having to sit through honestly-not-the-same-tutorial-honest a lot more tolerable.
    Post edited by thearkady on
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The benefit for me was having an excuse to use the alien-gen tool once more (only once before), build a unique 'toon, and bask in the slickness of Discovery. I was pretty happy with the writing, the tempo, the graphics, and the KLINGONS! I can attest that for anyone who hasn't watched the show, AoD is a pretty good job of simulating that universe. Not to mention the novelty of having parallel content to a CURRENT Trek series, which is a first, AFAIK.

I look forward to more episodes, and the return of the series itself in 2019. B)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    eltech wrote: »
    Yeah, tutorial, 2 missions (though quite good), then Daniels kidnaps your butt... again!!! Then it's back to levelling up with the same missions as all your other toons over the last five or so years...

I took my Level 5-7 DsC captain with Tier 1-2 gear, to Nimbus III since the missions popped up. Usually easy but some NPCs will 1 shot you :D
    The Giant Scorpion near Paradise Lost
    The Gorn in the canyon that throw boulders don't miss and will 1 shot you :D

Last night I got to around Lv 12 and arrived in front of Installation 18 but the mission to enter and complete the arc would not come up. Me and some other Non-DSC player did the Tal Shiar guards and Defender outside, but neither of us could enter.

XzRTofz.gif
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Yeah, tutorial, 2 missions (though quite good), then Daniels kidnaps your butt... again!!! Then it's back to levelling up with the same missions as all your other toons over the last five or so years...

I took my Level 5-7 DsC captain with Tier 1-2 gear, to Nimbus III since the missions popped up. Usually easy but some NPCs will 1 shot you :D

Last night I got to around Lv 12 and arrived in front of Installation 18 but the mission to enter and complete the arc would not come up. Me and some other Non-DSC player did the Tal Shiar guards and Defender outside, but neither of us could enter.

I have the same problem, cant find any official information about the removal of installation 18 and my other characters can reply the mission fine. I think this AoD update has severely broken the game
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Check your Mission journal - my understanding is that a lot of the old missions don't just come up automatically any more.

(I've also heard that the Devidian missions have been temporarily removed for revamping, but can't confirm that yet.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    theres no installation 18 mission in the journal, the entire wasteland section has been removed with no option to replay it.
  • danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    kurzis wrote: »

I have the same problem, cant find any official information about the removal of installation 18 and my other characters can reply the mission fine. I think this AoD update has severely broken the game

Missions that are not deemed as essential to the main story were "removed" in a sense. They are still able to be played by talking to the mission giver. In this case Franklin Drake/Subcommand Nadel. Have you both tried specifically talking to Drake to see if the mission is available?

It could be related to that. So not sure what exactly is bugged with it but maybe a solution would be to hail Drake for now. Bug could be that Drake didn't immediately hail you after last mission, or could be that you got Nimbus III as a mission hail in the first place.

But yeah, try hailing Drake and bug report it.
  • psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    well the only reason i can think of to roll a aod char is to Level up with no doffing :)
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    yes if its ok 4 u to basicly have a lvl 7 toon with the otpion to paly the stuff u already know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Well, I will take any new content in a game I’ve been playing for umpteen years, and I didn’t have a Vulcan yet... So, that and all the goodies I collect on this toon because of the previous events, it’s enough for me... Besides, I will get this AoD toon to level 11, and doff my way to 50, then Admiral my way to 65... no work, just play...

And with the Rep up to T6 now, I am only doing them all on one toon first to get the discounts, then I’ll be picky choosy...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    I forgot to even answer the OP's question lol.

If you're looking for how this toon will make your main better, I'd say no reason to make an AoD toon at all. Missions supposed to be available through holodeck or something so you won't miss out there either.

For me, I wanted to start a new toon and AoD was coming within a week. So, I waited. The new toon I only play with the BF, and we plan to do all missions together on elite and really enjoy the story. Many changes since launch, and even then I don't remember most of it anyway.

Really... it depends on what you're looking for.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Its free....of course i will play the TRIBBLE stuff.

The shows first few episodes were garbage but it got good towards the end.

I like the warp effect and the phasers so its all good and doesn't cost anything. That said i bought the levelling/starter pack...at 750 zen its very good value.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    I just want the button click sounds, beaming, and warping effect on my non AoD main. Got so much invested in her, dont want to do it again... AoY was enough. >.>
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The only thing which would interest me is the character profession icon, but that's not enough to make me one to bother making a toon on this faction.
This discussion has been closed.