test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Age of Discovery Launches October 9th

Comments

• lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    >Choose from a few Discovery era races

...Apparently this means just Humans and Vulcans along with the Alien builder.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • gasparulisesgasparulises Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Good Afternoon;

Anyone can tell me today I can create the free Toon for the Discovery story line or not.

Thank you
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Well the devs just ruined the queue system making it far harder to join the queues I used to regularly play. Just wasted 30min trying to play queues and not getting in. Time to abandon the queue system and no longer play daily queues. :(

The server's barely up and there's a new subfaction to play. Of course the queues aren't filling right away :P

It's also lunch time on a Tuesday (US), some of us are at work. ;)

(Best let this one play out.)
    You know full well the problem I am talking about has nothing to do with population levels. Its a problem with the new UI making it harder to play certain queues no matter the population level.

I also know that the first thing you apparently did when logging in was to confirm a position, not evaluate an argument. It's off-peak hours (about noon, US), an off-peak day (Tuesday), and immediately after new content dropped. Of course you're going to have trouble finding games in old elite queues and that's definitely something Cryptic is going to consider in evaluating your feedback.

Even if you don't think data integrity is important, it can still sink a position. Give it some time, it'll help your case.
    Well you are wrong again the first thing I did was not to confirm a position or to evaluate an argument. The first thing I did was what I would normally do after an expansion which is to play the game and enjoy it, I tried to do what I always do which is pick and play a queue. It’s never been a problem before right after an expansion but is a problem this time. The problem is not the time of day, it’s purely related to the new queue UI system that is meant to make it easier to queue but in actual fact is making it harder.

A big part of this expansion was about making queues easer to play. But all they have done for me is make queues harder to play.

You should know from our previous talks that off-peak is irrelevant to the problem and waiting is not going to make anything better. You should also know this has nothing to do with data integrity which is irrelevant for this problem and I do not need to give it time to help my case. The case has already been proven no more time is needed. The devs should have evaluated the feedback from tribble, as this UI change should never have made it to live in this state.

A system which is meant to make queues easier to play shouldn't be making them harder to play. Yet this system does make many of them harder to play. Its not fit for purpose.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    He did not impress me
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Haven't even finished the TRIBBLE Era tutorial and I've lost interest, because it is literally the normal Federation tutorial with a different skin, except this one can't be skipped.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I ran the Defense of Starbase One TFO, it popped almost instantly and as I had predicted, Gamma Marks were part of the Choice Box.

I also ran the new Tutorial on my new Discovery Captain. Got through to the Corodan Mine Episode and called it a day. Even after that that Recruit could not purchase the Discovery Starter Pack. The Pack is Bound to Character but I hope that the Inventory and XP accelerator come out as Tokens that can be passed along.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • manileraimanilerai Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Kinda disappointed in the race selection for discovery characters. TECHNICALLY I suppose there are more options than the TOS characters thanks to the custom "alien" option - but the alien options feel like they haven't been expanded much since game launch, and only allow approximations of some of ST:Discovery's alien crew members (Kelpiens, "Augmented alien" (LT.Com. Airiam)).
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    I gotta admit, it takes some guts to make the exact same tutorial, with the exact same situations, in the exact same order, with the exact same kinds of lines, the exact same objectives, the near exact same cutscenes, etc... just with a different paintjob, and not even lampshading it in any way.

I mean, wow! How did the various temporal agencies fail to see this epic case of Déjà Vu and not investigate or say anything about that?

And to make the dumbfounded feeling complete, it's followed up by 2 missions with 1 that consists in just one map and waves of enemies to defeat until it finishes itself without much conclusion so you can enter the 25th century.

What just happened? You did awesome with ViL, good missions, lots of VA and new assets, enhanced and new animations, great call-backs and a relatively good resolution, heck even Quark's Lucky Seven by itself alone made this expansion great.

And you follow up with... that? A copy-pasted tutorial with Tilly to annoy us all the way, 1 good mission and a STF tutorial disguised as another mission? How?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I have a question to the developers...

What happens to those sponsorship tokens you bought for 100 marks, which now seem to be completely useless and there doesn't seem to be a way to be compensated for the marks you've pretty much wasted?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Well you are wrong again the first thing I did was not to confirm a position or to evaluate an argument. The first thing I did was what I would normally do after an expansion which is to play the game and enjoy it, I tried to do what I always do which is pick and play a queue. It’s never been a problem before right after an expansion but is a problem this time. The problem is not the time of day, it’s purely related to the new queue UI system that is meant to make it easier to queue but in actual fact is making it harder.

See. Confirming a position, you failed to consider external factors and are selecting data points to conform to a previously stated viewpoint. That needs no further elaboration.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User

See. Confirming a position, you failed to consider external factors and are selecting data points to conform to a previously stated viewpoint. That needs no further elaboration.

I dont think he's going to listen duncan. Im glad your trying to show both potential sides, but sadly, sometimes confirmation bias can cloud some perceptions for certain groups or individuals. Though, we all suffer that ourselves at one point in our lifes
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    edited October 2018
    foxman00 wrote: »

I dont think he's going to listen duncan. Im glad your trying to show both potential sides, but sadly, sometimes confirmation bias can cloud some perceptions for certain groups or individuals. Though, we all suffer that ourselves at one point in our lifes

Thanks, I am aware of Pottsey's probable reactions here (and good points on confirmation bias). Significant problems with how one conducts an argument, however, could still stand to be pointed out (when the matter is straight forward and the chances of a complete melt down relatively low, IMO.) I think that helps give some assurance (for other users) that there are people here who they can engage in rational conversation (on more conducive topics.) ;)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I was a bit gutted that all the Disco bridges are the same. (even when buying the starter pack) No Georgiou's ready room or Shenzhou bridge. Cut scenes were pretty cool even though the intro was a copy/paste with different skin. At least the discovery ground weapons have been updated with new sound FX. Wonder if the lobi one will get the same treatment.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Ugh, the patching process for the latest patch is going at a crawl for me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Well the devs just ruined the queue system making it far harder to join the queues I used to regularly play. Just wasted 30min trying to play queues and not getting in. Time to abandon the queue system and no longer play daily queues. :(

The server's barely up and there's a new subfaction to play. Of course the queues aren't filling right away :P
    That's not the problem. Its no longer possible to see which queues are being played and join in with them. Which means its harder to play queues which are not part of random. For someone like me that plays a lot of Elite its a large problem making running queues massively more difficult.

From Cryptic’s standpoint this is likely a feature. Players can no longer know to avoid sparsely populated queues. I just got into a normally empty queue in about a minute. The downside is that informed choice is out the window as we’re treated like a draft horse and been fitted with blinders.

Also, now the default “warp out” sound is the Discovery version on the characters I’ve tried. Not cool.

I am not fond of the sound either, it makes me feel like I am in NuBSG and not Star Trek. Their dumb pew-pew guns on the DSC side do not help dispel that impression either. This is one time I would prefer if Cryptic was LESS accurate to the source.
  • evantine1evantine1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Just finished the new stuff... to say underwhelming would be an understatement. The part that i think really got me the most, aside from the reskin of the original tutorial, is they drop you in the 25th Century at level 6. Would have been nice if they did what they did for the ViL Jem'Hadar captains.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Actually it would be nice to make you level 10 like AoY despite the lack of missions, it's a bit much to expect to be made level 65 when it's just an alternate start to an existing faction.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    The expansion seems rushed not only have you moved TFO's to the mission journal but when I accept romulan imperial minefield of Admiral quinn. Nothing I opened the queue list it isn't there. I look at all tabs in the mission journal and find it in the klingon war but there is no way to join a queue for it. where the TRIBBLE do I go to play that TFO or at least queue for it
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    “See. Confirming a position, you failed to consider external factors and are selecting data points to conform to a previously stated viewpoint. That needs no further elaboration.”
    Do you even understand what the problem is?
    The external factors you keep trying to bring up are irrelevant and have zero impact on the cause of the problem. Which makes me wonder do you even understand what the problem is and do you even understand my viewpoint? You know those external factors are irrelevant from last time we talked so why do you keep bringing them back up?

My viewpoint has been proven true so I do not know why you are so desperate to keep trying to disprove it. The fact is a large amount of queues have been made much harder to play which in turn is causing them to be played less and this needs fixing. If you understood my viewpoint and the cause of the problem you would see that population levels, time of day and more time is not going change anything.

foxman00 wrote: »
    “I dont think he's going to listen duncan. Im glad your trying to show both potential sides, but sadly, sometimes confirmation bias can cloud some perceptions for certain groups or individuals. Though, we all suffer that ourselves at one point in our lifes”
    duncanidaho11 is not coming across as showing both sides instead duncanidaho11is coming across as trying to hide the problem and write off the fact that a large batch of missions are now much harder to play. If duncanidaho11 and yourself tried to engage in rational conversation and stopped to look at and understand the other side’s viewpoint you would see there is a major flaw in this new system that is making a large batch of missions harder to play. Yes this doesn't effect all players and some queues are easier to play. But for the other group of missions and for those players that play that group of 30+ queues this new feature is causing problems. The other side of the argument is saying those 30+ queues are not harder to play. But that is not true as they are much harder. What's worse is there is a simple fix so we can get the best of both worlds. There is no reason why those 30+ queues have to be made harder to play.

This is not confirmation bias it’s a flaw in the new system. I can no longer get a single one of the standard queues I play to start either last night or this morning. Not because of the population levels but due to the flaw in the new UI system.

The problem is a real problem so why would anyone rationally keep trying to discredit the problem and keep attacking the argument to try to invalidate the point after it’s shown to be real? That is not conducting to constructive topics but it is what duncanidaho11 keeps doing.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    -Rushed and it is clearly noticable from crew with wrong traits to a number of glaring bugs when the game fails to pick up on it
    -Cloning of yet more content like the previous two cloned ship packs weren't bad enough. The "new" tutorial is a complete rip from the fed tutorial, right down to the final comment.
    -Only two new missions in total and i consider it just two because the tutorial isn't new.
    -I found some of the NPC's really annoying as well.
    -Also caught an Australian theme going on with some of the character, Aussie accents.
    -Combs came on for Shran.

all in all not a great release, but at least Cryptic didn't force that stupid meme from DR on the playerbase for this one.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    If they drip the Episodes they will likely be Featured and will release a new Item from a Set per week.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    This copy/paste expansion will not earn you any of my money.

PS: And I doubt I am the only one thinking like that.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Only done the first episode and there's nothing that jumps out to make it replayable. Rewards are junk mk11 greens, no loot and no ship mastery.

Might start a disco character but there's zero incentive to do so.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Played the TRIBBLE era toon up to waking up on Earth Dock (and why when I read "TRIBBLE" I think about that nasty medical term? :D )
    Nothing new for now, the tutorial is copied, but I personally think it looks better this way.

TFO - did not yet try any, propably I will wait untill it is cleared from bugs (though I just looked it on my old Jem'Hadar, and the old queues - I mean new TFOs - are still there so no need to panic)

Actually, I think, the best part for now is that scalable ship for new toons from starter pack. Too bad the Beam Arrays on it looks like they can NOT be upgraded.
    They have bonus to shield restoration and capacity instead of random subsystem offline proc - much better this way than normal phasers for me.
    It's not about the money...

...Well yes it is, but orders from CBS is orders from CBS.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Yes, there are a few bugs in AoD and I have reported a few in the appropriate place on the forum. But...

I rather enjoyed the revamped start. Yes, it's a copy of the 25th Century Federation Start - but it actually works better in AoD. The mission rewards are very useful on the starter ship and can be upgraded. Ship weapons are buyable at the Academy and can be upgraded by the usual process. No way to purchase ground weapons at the moment - the Ground Vender is only selling ships based weapons. I'm assuming this is a bug and have reported it. The story arc, though short in the 2250's, works well and sets things up nicely for the jump to 2410. Noticed a lot of changes to the missions, in terms of dialogue and story. Enjoying it very much.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next with AoD - perhaps, maybe, a return of the exploration missions?
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    edited October 2018
    totenmet wrote: »

It's not an expansion and Cryptic was very up front about the DSC tutorial being a re-imagined FED tutorial (just about everything for which was new content, just playing to the same story beats. It was a great throwback.) Feel free to do what you like with your monies, but there are a whole lot of Tardigrades running around the place so...
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »

It's not an expansion and Cryptic was very up front about the DSC tutorial being a re-imagined FED tutorial (just about everything for which was new content, just playing to the same story beats. It was a great throwback.) Feel free to do what you like with your monies, but there are a whole lot of Tardigrades running around the place so...

lol there were hundreds of these damn things running around yesterday. I think we may need to consider opening up the Romulan 'camps' to contain this problem.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!