[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    STST-S01-HeroImage.jpg

DSCVRY SHORT TREKS

Runaway (premieres Thursday, Oct. 4)
    Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

Calypso (premieres Thursday, Nov. 8)
    After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

The Brightest Star (premieres Thursday, Dec. 6)
    Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The Escape Artist (premieres Thursday, Jan. 3)
    Harry Mudd, back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Mike McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Just watched Runaway on CraveTV, for anyone in Canada wondering how to see it streamed.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

sorry, but to me that just looks like Michael Dorn getting older. I mean, he DID play the role for over a decade when you add it up, not including movies.

as for whether there will be ANY improvement beyond tacking on acrylic hair? I doubt it. Hettrick is waaayyy too proud of his latex gimp-suits to do anything significant to them.

In addition, "changed a lot" is hyperbole. The prosthetics got a bit more sophisticated, that is true, but it is still very clearly Michael Dorn and the same character. DSC full-rubber-masks do not look like people, just because there are ridges doesn't mean it's "clearly klingon" and I don't buy the "they are supposed to be more alien to us!" reasoning at all. Because if this was the motivation they failed horribly, just making it look ridiculous.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I wouldn't have as much problems with Discovery if the Discovery Klingons were a different race. Reimagined races are supposed to look similar to the original race. There are a few similarities between the TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons, but there is nothing in common between Discovery Klingons and TOS Klingons or TNG Klingons. The only thing that makes sense is that Klingons are not one alien race, but multiple alien races of a loosely connected alliance. However, there is zero evidence of that and everything in Star Trek points to there being only one Klingon race.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    angrytarg wrote: »
    In addition, "changed a lot" is hyperbole. The prosthetics got a bit more sophisticated, that is true...​​

Which is the point I was trying to make in the first place.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    I wouldn't have as much problems with Discovery if the Discovery Klingons were a different race. Reimagined races are supposed to look similar to the original race. There are a few similarities between the TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons, but there is nothing in common between Discovery Klingons and TOS Klingons or TNG Klingons. The only thing that makes sense is that Klingons are not one alien race, but multiple alien races of a loosely connected alliance. However, there is zero evidence of that and everything in Star Trek points to there being only one Klingon race.

unfortunately, you're running up against the wall of "The owner has ruled it so".

Discovery is just another piece of evidence for my belief that common sense is not common. I can easily believe that the Andorians and Tellarites in Discovery are Andorians and Tellarites, but my brain keeps telling me that the Klingons are not Klingons or severely deformed Klingons.

I wish we were back in the good old days when that initial twitter image that showed the Discovery Klingons was denied being Klingons.
  • Options
    With luck we will get an explanation behind the Klingons.
    I'm still thinking its a combination of ethnic group and not all Klingons were affected by the Augment Virus. Most of the big name Klingons in Discovery seem to come from Qo'nos or somewhere in their core worlds. Its entirely possible that the Augment Virus never made it that far into the Empire and only ravaged the outer systems, which considering the size of the Empire... is still a lot of territory.

The combination of ethnic background and the Augment Virus could lead to what we saw in TOS. The bigwigs in command, IE Generals and Government, were "pure" Klingons or something along those lines while the officers we saw weren't. Hence Mara's line about being watched.

Discovery takes place in a time where the Empire pretty much has lost its identity. Its not unified like we see in TOS. This loss of identity could be tied to fallout from the Augment Virus 100 years ago. Which brings us to T'Kuvma's battlecry of "Remain Klingon". Not only does he see the Federation and their acceptance of other species as a weakness, he could very well see the Augment Virus affected Klingons as being less Klingon or not even Klingon at all. Hell... he could see the Augment Virus as a sign of weakness. And in order to reassert their strength and identity... unify the Empire against a common foe rather than maintain the status quo, which could very well eventually lead to infighting between houses and total collapse of the Empire as a whole.

We see the beginnings of a foundation for the Klingon Empire we see in TOS with L'Rell taking control of the Empire at the end of Season 1. Being a member of House Mo'kai, a House known for using what some consider "underhanded" tactics, she is more inclined to deploy more Intel assets to gather information. It is possible that she employed many of these assets in later years to maintain the Empire to keep it from fracturing again. Which lead to Mara's line about them being watched in TOS.

Basically... we need to just wait and see how this all resolves and works out. We have heard on the grapevine that we WILL see TOS elements at some point, which means we should see TOS style Klingons eventually. But to assume the ENTIRE population of the Klingon species was affected by the Augment Virus is just not logical. Once the virus started spreading, it would make sense for the Klingons to basically embargo any traffic to the core worlds. As for the look of Discovery Klingons... again I point to Ethnic backgrounds. Just look at humans. People of Asian descent look different from those of African descent, which in turn looks different from those of European descent. While we all share the same "template", we all have features that differentiate us from each other based on region of origin.

Discovery has many ways to explain all this. We just need to wait for it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I really, really hope they stick with simply wanting Giger visuals and not "explain" any of this in-universe. Any attempt to do this will be horrible. "Augment virus" levels of horrible. "Borg Queen" territory even.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Tidbits from NYCC:
    Klingons have hair. They shave their heads in a time of war.
    Saru’s Sister will appear.
    Season 2 will be more episodic as they chase down the red signals.
    Talosians may appear.
    Picard show not connected to Season 2.
    No mid season break.
    Animated series Easter egg in season 2 premiere.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Basically... we need to just wait and see how this all resolves and works out. We have heard on the grapevine that we WILL see TOS elements at some point, which means we should see TOS style Klingons eventually. But to assume the ENTIRE population of the Klingon species was affected by the Augment Virus is just not logical. Once the virus started spreading, it would make sense for the Klingons to basically embargo any traffic to the core worlds. As for the look of Discovery Klingons... again I point to Ethnic backgrounds. Just look at humans. People of Asian descent look different from those of African descent, which in turn looks different from those of European descent. While we all share the same "template", we all have features that differentiate us from each other based on region of origin.

But people of Asian descent, European descent, and African descent still look Human. If we had Humans on Venus for a few thousand years so they adapted to the Venusian climate, then a similar comparison could be made. As far as the entire propulation of Klingons being infected by the Augment virus, that was never a concern. It would have made sense to see TNG Klingons or even some TOS Klingons, but not a completely new species of Klingons that was never mentioned in any other Star Trek series.
  • Options
    The Klingons could be more like the Xindi than humans. With several varied races living on the same planet.

> @starkaos said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > Basically... we need to just wait and see how this all resolves and works out. We have heard on the grapevine that we WILL see TOS elements at some point, which means we should see TOS style Klingons eventually. But to assume the ENTIRE population of the Klingon species was affected by the Augment Virus is just not logical. Once the virus started spreading, it would make sense for the Klingons to basically embargo any traffic to the core worlds. As for the look of Discovery Klingons... again I point to Ethnic backgrounds. Just look at humans. People of Asian descent look different from those of African descent, which in turn looks different from those of European descent. While we all share the same "template", we all have features that differentiate us from each other based on region of origin.
    >
    > Discovery has many ways to explain all this. We just need to wait for it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But people of Asian descent, European descent, and African descent still look Human. If we had Humans on Venus for a few thousand years so they adapted to the Venusian climate, then a similar comparison could be made. As far as the entire propulation of Klingons being infected by the Augment virus, that was never a concern. It would have made sense to see TNG Klingons or even some TOS Klingons, but not a completely new species of Klingons that was never mentioned in any other Star Trek series.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Kobayashi Maru
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6eoD9rQHL4
    I saw a proper k't'inga!
    and some klingons that looked like klingons!
    unknown.png
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Tidbits from NYCC:
    Saru’s Sister will appear.
    Season 2 will be more episodic as they chase down the red signals.
    Talosians may appear.
    Picard show not connected to Season 2.
    No mid season break.
    Animated series Easter egg in season 2 premiere.

HOLY TRIBBLE! A D7! A LEGIT D7!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    wolfman-2010.jpg. though the Wolfman, at least from the source I grabbed that one,has a broader range of expressions than ST:D's "Klingons"

isn't that from the 2010 reboot of the wolfman with benicio del toro? if so, i would certainly expect a werewolf prosthetic-wearing actor to have a greater variety of expressions than one from the early 1900s...which just makes DIS even more shameful, because it's from seven years LATER and the actors looked like they were yanked right out of the 1950s/60s​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Second trailer is much better than the first one.
  • Options
    To be fair it’s not about the prosthetics and more about the artists behind them. The 2010 Wolfman movie had the legendary Rick Baker doing the special effects.

> @shadowfang240 said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > . though the Wolfman, at least from the source I grabbed that one,has a broader range of expressions than ST:D's "Klingons"
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > isn't that from the 2010 reboot of the wolfman with benicio del toro? if so, i would certainly expect a werewolf prosthetic-wearing actor to have a greater variety of expressions than one from the early 1900s...which just makes DIS even more shameful, because it's from seven years LATER and the actors looked like they were yanked right out of the 1950s/60s​​
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Kobayashi Maru
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Tidbits from NYCC:
    problem with that theory is that they were all bald even in the premier before the war
  • Options
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > khan5000 wrote: »
    >
    > Tidbits from NYCC:
    > Klingons have hair. They shave their heads in a time of war.
    >
    >
    >
    > problem with that theory is that they were all bald even in the premier before the war

Didn’t they mention that the Klingons were warring amongst themselves and that they were trying to unite them against a common enemy? I’ll hvae to go back and watch the first episode to be sure
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Kobayashi Maru
    they were fighting amongst themselves but not trying to unify themselves. That was t'kuvma's thing.... and fighting amonst themselves for klingons is well.... normal
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Finally, the hair! Now I can relate to the Klingons.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

But people of Asian descent, European descent, and African descent still look Human. If we had Humans on Venus for a few thousand years so they adapted to the Venusian climate, then a similar comparison could be made. As far as the entire propulation of Klingons being infected by the Augment virus, that was never a concern. It would have made sense to see TNG Klingons or even some TOS Klingons, but not a completely new species of Klingons that was never mentioned in any other Star Trek series.
    Given that it's an alien race, maybe they have alien genetic diversity?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Hair or not, it still looks like a Halloween mask from a drugstore compared to an actual face with forehead prosthetics 😄 at leadt in the second in the trailer.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options

Given that it's an alien race, maybe they have alien genetic diversity?

Artificial alien genetic diversity is a likelihood for interstellar races due to economics. Either spend a ton of money to transform the planet to fit an alien race's needs or genetically engineer the alien colonists to live naturally on the planet for a fraction of the cost. This is done a lot in Andromeda, but not in Star Trek. Andromeda had a few genetically engineered humans, some due to some philosophical ideal and others due to the world they inhabited.
  • Options
    Didn't we already have a bald Klingon?

latest?cb=20100605232156&path-prefix=en
This discussion has been closed.