test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@Cryptic: Operation Gamma to hard for new players on normal.

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I learned all I needed to know about Mk numbers in Elementary school, low numbers are less than high numbers. I can't think of a single game, MMO or otherwise, where that works differently.
    Yeah really, READING ITEM TOOLTIPS will tell you that higher mark gear is better than lower mark gear.

The same is true of skill tooltips, they don't give you everything, but they give you a basic idea as to what the skill is for.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Knowing how to use Roman numerals to count, that is not the issue.

The issue is knowing that those numbers and colors on the icons and used in the game has a ranking to go with them and that is associated with the level your character is competing at.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Knowing how to use Roman numerals to count, that is not the issue.

The issue is knowing that those numbers and colors on the icons and used in the game has a ranking to go with them and that is associated with the level your character is competing at.
    Yeah... that problem goes away when you read the item tooltips.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

If they bother to look at it that closely.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Hooray, one more thread asking for making the game even easier. Guess at this rate STO is already the prototype for NSRGs. If you wonder what that means... no skill required games.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Yeah really, READING ITEM TOOLTIPS will tell you that higher mark gear is better than lower mark gear.
    This is predicated on having high mark gear in the first place, though. Just about any halfway sensible newbie will compare the gear he has with what he finds, and notice that something has bigger numbers than than the thing he has now.
    highER, like comparing mk2 with a mk3.... It's blatantly obvious even if the level difference is small.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    ...Let's imagine you're a fresh level 9 newbie. You hit level 10. What happens? Quinn bugs you to get a new ship. Hey, new ship! You get a new ship (and probably pick the wrong one, shooting yourself in the foot in the future). Does this new ship come with a brand new spanking load of MK IV gear? Nope. You get a set of mismatched white guns, and I'm not sure what mark they are, but your consoles are just completely empty. Where does one even get MK IV consoles from? The Exchange? Those prices are highway robbery as far as a newbie is concerned...
    Have to agree that the way in which that shiny new ship comes equipped does set a bad example for a new player. A mix of beams, cannons, maybe a turret, and way too many torpedoes is setting up a new player to under perform. I do think having a more usable setup out of the box could help educate by setting a reasonable example for new players and it wouldn't cost the game anything as they'd still be bound white weapons with zero EC value.

This would be some good advice for the "what can we teach better" thread.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited October 2018

If they bother to look at it that closely.
    People who don't pay attention to the game deserve to fail at it.
    highER, like comparing mk2 with a mk3.... It's blatantly obvious even if the level difference is small.
    Yes, and nobody is positing that newbies are intentionally discarding high-mark gear in favor of continuing to use low-mark gear. The reason newbies are generally running gear of far lower mark than they otherwise might be able to is because the game simply does not issue this gear. Let's imagine you're a fresh level 9 newbie. You hit level 10. What happens? Quinn bugs you to get a new ship. Hey, new ship! You get a new ship (and probably pick the wrong one, shooting yourself in the foot in the future). Does this new ship come with a brand new spanking load of MK IV gear? Nope. You get a set of mismatched white guns, and I'm not sure what mark they are, but your consoles are just completely empty. Where does one even get MK IV consoles from? The Exchange? Those prices are highway robbery as far as a newbie is concerned. Stuff you picked up off the floor? No guarantee any of it matches. You ever wonder why newbies are seen wielding stuff like Tetryon Tac Consoles 2-4 marks below what they should be using, when they don't even have any tetryon weapons?
    I don't know any RPG in which gear is regularly "issued" to players automatically as they level. Shops, random drops and quest rewards are the standard methods to acquire gear. And yes, trading between players.
    So you just splat over whatever you have. If you find something, one of two things happens:

A. You correctly recognize that this item has no relevance to you because it doesn't match anything on your ship, so you toss that MK XII Polaroid console you just found because your ship is full of Mk VII phasers (and a random MK X disruptor because 10 is a bigger number than 7). You still have not gained any tac consoles.
    B. You slap that sucker on replacing your MK V phaser console because 12 is a bigger number than 5! What even is a polaron? This thing has a bigger number than my old one AND it is GREEN instead of white! (DPS -> -however many % an MK V console is even worth)

5 minutes later, you find a tetryon beam. It has a bigger number than your phaser turret! Stick it on! (DPS -> 0 because a rear beam can't even fire at a target your forward cannon is aimed at)

Result: A newbie ship that isn't an actual coherent build of any kind, just a collection of random junk they found on the floor...because frankly, what else would they even have?
    Tac consoles say what weapons they affect. If a player did not pay attention to what the items themselves say, they aren't going to pay attention to what some ship-building tutorial says, either. The firing arcs of weapons are similarly explained in the descriptions, as well as visually displayed when holding the mouse over the weapon buttons.

That's not to say a basic ship-building tutorial wouldn't be good. Some people would probably benefit from one, even if just as a series of "notice this" -signs. But others would just skip it or ignore it. You can't teach people who aren't interested in learning. And they deserve to fail for it.
    protoneous wrote: »
    ...Let's imagine you're a fresh level 9 newbie. You hit level 10. What happens? Quinn bugs you to get a new ship. Hey, new ship! You get a new ship (and probably pick the wrong one, shooting yourself in the foot in the future). Does this new ship come with a brand new spanking load of MK IV gear? Nope. You get a set of mismatched white guns, and I'm not sure what mark they are, but your consoles are just completely empty. Where does one even get MK IV consoles from? The Exchange? Those prices are highway robbery as far as a newbie is concerned...
    Have to agree that the way in which that shiny new ship comes equipped does set a bad example for a new player. A mix of beams, cannons, maybe a turret, and way too many torpedoes is setting up a new player to under perform. I do think having a more usable setup out of the box could help educate by setting a reasonable example for new players and it wouldn't cost the game anything as they'd still be bound white weapons with zero EC value.

This would be some good advice for the "what can we teach better" thread.
    And what would that "more usable" setup be? D(H)Cs/turrets? Beam broadsides? DBBs even though there are no stock omnibeams to go with them? How many torpedoes is an appropriate amount? There are those who would say none. On the other hand, some build ships with nothing but torpedoes. Who's meta gets passed on as gospel to the poor newbies who aren't paying attention? And what happens when the metagame marches on and the more usable default build is once again "wrong?"

Or for that matter, what about when newbie not-paying-attention gets his "more usable" build with, for example, all beams and wonders why his CRF doesn't do anything on it (since he's not paying attention)?

IMO, ships other than your starter should come equipped with nothing except unique special items, for those ships that have them.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    but you are part of military organizations (or the closest analog starfleet represents) in THIS RPG, therefore you SHOULD be issued new gear as you level...because that's what militaries do - issue gear as needed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I don't know any RPG in which gear is regularly "issued" to players automatically as they level. Shops, random drops and quest rewards are the standard methods to acquire gear. And yes, trading between players.
    Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that expecting new players to always have a set of level-appropriate gear is unrealistic, precisely because they are not issued this gear and therefore will not have it, forcing them to make do with whatever they can scrounge.
    No, it's not. Players can in fact be expected to do things for themselves and get things for themselves. Not that STO expects them to. But other games would.
    Tac consoles say what weapons they affect. If a player did not pay attention to what the items themselves say, they aren't going to pay attention to what some ship-building tutorial says, either. The firing arcs of weapons are similarly explained in the descriptions, as well as visually displayed when holding the mouse over the weapon buttons.
    Sure, in terms which are manifestly unclear and filled with technobabble. And, of course, even if you fully understand what each item's text is saying, that doesn't mean you understand how, exactly, it is to be used. For instance, even if the newbie fully understands that he needs PHASER-specific consoles to run his phaser beams, and that his beam powers only work on BEAMS, and not cannons, and therefore should not be using any cannons on his ship, and that beam arrays and DBBs don't share firing arcs...
    What's technobabble about "+15% Phaser Damage?" What's so hard figuring out that means it increases damage of phasers?

Or "250' targeting arc?" Unclear how? Well, besides the ' after the number should really be a ° but it's so tiny most people probably haven't even noticed it's wrong.

STO is rated for teens, players should know what words, numbers and plus signs mean.
    it still doesn't really impress upon him the notion that using these weapons together would be wrong due to the incompatibility of their firing arcs, as practically nothing in the game impresses upon the player that they even SHOULD be compatible: In fact, everything in the game as presented to the new player would indicate this is totally acceptable and normal.
    Players have eyes. They don't need to be told which weapons are firing together, they can see it. And they can then make the not-at-all-unreasonable logical inference that more weapons is better and look for ones that fire together when possible.

Except of course having more weapons firing on the same target isn't always better. When done without regard to power levels, it can actually reduce performance from the power drain. The game would do much better to remind players to turn their weapons power back up after every ship change (something which even I sometimes forget despite playing for 6 years) than blindly insist they set up for 8 weapons on the same target all the time.

In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that a lot more players will have had performance problems caused by running on 50/50/50/50 than by beam arrays coupled with DBBs.
    Or for that matter, what about when newbie not-paying-attention gets his "more usable" build with, for example, all beams and wonders why his CRF doesn't do anything on it (since he's not paying attention)?
    Then he'll apparently share fine company with Koren "Two Cannons Skills, No Cannons" of the Bortasqu'.
    So then they're suddenly allowed to fail on their own (lack of) merits after all?
  • Options
    but you are part of military organizations (or the closest analog starfleet represents) in THIS RPG, therefore you SHOULD be issued new gear as you level...because that's what militaries do - issue gear as needed​​
    What do you think that white quality junk on your ship is for? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, someone needs to slap the quartermaster, because there is a distinct LACK of white quality junk in a good number of slots on those ships - it's like SCE took a coffee break after installing the weapons and CDES and never came back to finish​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

I am going off the reservation....with a tactical console I never tried before called...Automated Defense Turret. I am not even sure where that came from??? I got so much stuff. No clicky so it is actually automatic.

I have no idea what that Automated Defense Turret does. Or if it helps much at all.
    Go let that catch dust in the ship yard somewhere.

The Automated Defense Turret console comes from the Phoenix Box now, though I don't recall where it came from before that.

It targets things like targetable torpedoes and ships within a certain range of your ship.

Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    echatty wrote: »
    I am going off the reservation....with a tactical console I never tried before called...Automated Defense Turret. I am not even sure where that came from??? I got so much stuff. No clicky so it is actually automatic.

I have no idea what that Automated Defense Turret does. Or if it helps much at all.
    Go let that catch dust in the ship yard somewhere.
    The Automated Defense Turret console comes from the Phoenix Box now, though I don't recall where it came from before that.

It targets things like targetable torpedoes and ships within a certain range of your ship.
    Pre-order bonus. The Borg boff is the best, but this is #2. 3 is RMC. The others are unupgradable bits of ground gear. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Danube Class Runabout As compared to base shuttle adds +1 tac console +1 science console + 0.1 shield modifier + 0.1 hull modifier + 1 universal boff slot. Cost: 34,250 EC.
    "You should immediately throw out the thing you just got and haven't even had a chance to use yet and spend money you probably haven't even figured out how to get more of yet."

how do you think the initial members felt when they bought one of the "fly the enterprise" games, to find out theywere done with flying the enterprise after about 3 hours of game play? when the game launche a bunch of different stores had such things gamestop had the constitution, aonther one had some sort of ground gear and so on.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    laughinxan wrote: »
    I'm not trying to hyperbole but, I wouldn't be surprised if the way STO's difficulty scaling is many new players are likely quitting without saying anything. Only about 10% of people complain or bring up problems with a product. I imagine that 90% of new players are likely quitting once they hit 60-65. [...] If the sheer number of posts everywhere else has any say of the situation then that'd mean at least 9 fold as many players just quit and move on to something else rather than sticking with the game.
    And I wonder why no one brings it up here......
    People avoid discussing things in that context because it IS hyperbole. It cannot be discussed without jumping into the deep end of the hyperbole pool. I don't think that Cryptic has that information. Why? Cryptic's player activity logging does not show them WHY players quit, all it shows is what they were doing before quitting.
    I posted what I did because I don't believe it's all hyperbole. Interesting PS stats. But that's mainly just churn... people giving a game a try and not a reflection on the game itself. It's difficult to discuss perhaps because it's all to easy to head in the wrong direction (coughs).
    Point is either you learn how to play the game or you inevitably run into some obstacle that you can't beat because you're doing it wrong.
    Noob Story: There's a mission in the same story arc that involves sitting down at a conference table with various representatives for diplomatic talks. For the life of me not ever having had to sit at a table before I couldn't figure out how to proceed. I exited the mission and googled the sit commands. After trying all of them and failing to proceed yet again I asked for help in zone chat and even offered EC for an answer. Then somebody told me all I had to do was click on a chair.

Good point.

thats why the new tutorials have you sit down
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • Options
    I'll take the time to grab a non zen Tier 5 ship while playing at level 60+ and load it up it up with level appropriate rare gear, no starship traits, no spec points, no active duty doffs, no reputation gear, traits, or abilities, etc. Will it make much of a difference to me? Not according to @ruinthefun . I don't think it will either. Might just have to work things a bit harder.
    See, here you go again. "Load up". Newbies don't "load up", and the game does not throw a set of level-appropriate gear at you the moment you level up. You're going out of your way to find this gear.

This is what a newbie looks like.

Notice how he has a mash of random gear he picked up off the floor, practically none of which is of appropriate level. He's level 60 and every last piece of gear he has was obsolete before he was even level 50. All of it is just a random mash without any synergy, because this is what they tell you to have on your ship when you pull it out of the shipyard. He DOES have a fancy C-Store ship, but because he is a clueless newbie, he just bought whichever one seemed nice, and it isn't even a real endgame ship and certainly isn't one chosen for its synergy to his (not a) build.

And this is an upper-class newbie: He's actually managed to find his way on an external venue to ask for help. The bulk of newbies don't have the slightest idea where to even ask for this kind of help.

Put together a ship, like this newbie: just grab whatever boffs you are given and use them, as-is, without trying to train them in actual coherent skills, because to a newbie, all of these things are just meaningless technobabble and nothing in the game teaches you how to choose these things. Do we even still HAVE a boff trainer tutorial? Staple the random junk you find on the floor anytime you find something that has a prettier color than what you already have to your ship.

Now fly THAT to level 65 and tell me that the result isn't a pain facial.

so this newbie has been edwards scissorhands level anti-social, has never sold a damn thing or bought a damn thing off the exchange, ne ver read any zone chat, never asked any questions prior to leel 60? and this is the common denominator you nad the OP are trying to drive the difficulty to? why not have the devs program admiral quinn to change the diaper and give the character a bottle? I am by FAR a elite player. hell i doubt i break 10K dps, but i can finish any mission in PVE, though i died a few times in the first hurc battle, and in the mission you jeailbreak martok.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • Options
    arionisa wrote: »
    I remember being new, just before DR. Made a fed, played him for a while till I got stuck somewhere and by stuck I mean got tired of constantly blowing up and getting no further in whatever mission it was. Made me a Klingon instead and played him. Still died a lot but never hit anything impossible like I did on my Fed, got him to max and kind of stagnated.

How does this tie in ? Here goes. I carefully read every tool tip, every pop up, every bit of information the game provided and my build consisted of anything and everything I got rewarded or dropped that had better numbers than what I already had. That cannon says it does 25 more dps than the beam I have slotted, swap it. The new shield I found has a higher number than the old one, swap it. Is a combination of cannons and beams a good idea ? Well, that's what this ship already had when I got it so it must be a good combo and look, I even found stuff with higher numbers to put on it.

OOoo I just got a blue Eng Boff, dump my green one and use the blue one.
    Oh, I can train my boffs in new skills ? Do I need to ? Aren't the skills they come with good enough ? They must be, I don't think the game developers would start them out with useless skills, I'll just leave them alone, especially since it would be a waste of the little EC I have to buy stuff when I have absolutely no clue what to buy to begin with.

That is a standard newb build. Anything and everything with better numbers than what they had before is what gets thrown on there. Boff skills are whatever the boff happened to have when they got it. And that's only if they haven't been given bogus/bad advice in Zone chat and made it even worse.

When DR hit, I ended up scrapping everything and starting with fresh new toons, Fed/Kdf/Rom, joined a Fleet that had a website/forums and found some good advice there, started doing web searches and doing lots of reading and realized just how screwed up I used to be.

Totally screwed up and horrendous builds are the norm when it comes to newbs, as most people want to play the game, not go somewhere else and read up on how to play the game. Going outside the game to learn how to play it and actually having a decent build is the rare exception.

the POINT is you ASKED QUESTIONS. if the newbie that was cited as "the newbie average" gets to 65 and demands the difficulty be nerfed, I'm sorry too damn bad. if you don't get how to do math, you ask the teacher, or you fail. life is hard like that. I learned, despite the idiots thinking i play in order to meet guys, so yeah in game i can be a bit antisocial, but there are a lot of people who ask a question in chat and got a reply in PM.. from me. now if the answr wa right or not is a whole new discussion.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • Options
    It's interesting just how much certain people think that "newbies" have no interest in learning to play the game...

Also warp core breach damage is a function of the max HP of the ship exploding. So yeah an enemy ship with a max HP of 100K does twice as much as one with 50k. Also, warp core breach damage decreases dramatically over range. The range seems to be a function of the size of the ship model.

lets not even mention the idea of "GASP" asking someone to team up!
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,598 Arc User
    Learning how to play the game (whatever it takes) is the norm. In any game. As is some players failing to learn how to play, no matter what.

Fact is, players being spoon-fed what to do, some players will see as boring spoilers. And that's no fun. There simply is no universal solution to what is fun for everyone.
    Yeah, if most players never learn to play the game that's a problem, but there's only so much you can tutorialize players before they get annoyed and stop listening.

remember way back when w the first tutorial where you get to fight the borg boarding party? the one where you had to shoot the modules in the lounge then went to engineering? had to help the EMH beam borg off? that was a pretty good tutorial.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,598 Arc User
    Being fully 'optimal' is purely optional.

I don't think weapon types or procs or modifiers have the magical properties that some folks seem to imbue them with. Not to the point that people should insist so much that people have "such and such" (or perish?). I am not even sure players with higher aptitude for games would notice most of it.

What is the point of selling builds that takes everything to the nth degree to someone like me?
    Besides, I know from testing I am doing my biggest problem is: keeping my target in the firing arc. That is NOT a build problem. LOL!

+++++

I found advice on Reddit to use that Aceton Assimilator console. Already tried it on couple of other KDF characters. That made everything a total breeze. (Interesting to note, that advice came from Armada Leader. Odd since that really isn't wreaking havoc on anyone's fun. ???)

Thank goodness I started purchasing Tier 4 Engineering ships from the C-store for Admiralty Cards, recently. KDF get that console from Draguas Support Vessel...everyone else from the cross faction console packs.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Aceton_Assimilator

+++++

Anyhoo...I still have 2 characters to put through Operation Gamma. Interestingly enough, both Science.

I read : Turrets and Hargh'Peng torpedoes, earlier.

I found that my Roumlan had a decent turret sitting in an inactive ship. So, I think I will try that....instead of the Omni beam. Even though she had a Plasma omni beam available (UR, even). She, also, has a shuttle with singularity core....so that will be different enough.

My KDF Science is in her To'Duj Fighter. I will have to dig up a turret for her, too. I think I will stick her Hargh'peng (UR) on there with it.

Update: I found a couple of Withering Disruptor turrets sitting around her inactive ships, so I am using one of those. The others were polaron and antiproton...but I didn't wanna dig up more tac consoles. I don't even remember where I got those, what the hell are they? Must have been in the Rep boxes. LOL!

I swear I keep every darn thing under the sun.

I will be shelving the Aceton Assimilator console for this round.

only thing about the harpeng is the slow fire rate. a photon is better because they pretty much one shot the bees, and reload fast enough you can get all three of them in time. after that you can take your time killing the fighters. if you happen to have a torpedo that has the SPR proc and you get lucky, it's gravy on grits
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.