What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Concept Ship Is now Leaving Dry Dock

2»

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    pryor#5476 wrote: »
    I guess I'll have to agree with yall....... Bring on the mini Dreadnoghts

I don't think anyone expects the Nova to be a Dreadnought.. basically just a slight improvement on the T5 variant. No one is asking to make it some type of god ship.. just a solid ship like the T5 version. The requests for features of the Nova have been quite reasonable overall.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So again, why would the Nova/Rhode Island be the exception?

Because it's...exceptional. :sunglasses:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Because it hasn't god damn happened yet.... Serious, they have the skeleton for it on short dev time and a storyline hero ship no less...and they pick a wreckage from ONE FRAKING SCENE over this ship. I take that as an exception personally.

While picking the New Orleans is rather odd... it does open the door to the rest of the Wolf 359 Fleet, which hasn't really been seen in any official capacity. People have made them for mods, but to actually get even one in an officially licensed game...

In terms of canon ships yet to be made, the Wolf 359 fleet is pretty much all that's left that I can think of outside of Discovery ships.

Anyways... I wonder if the Nova's next on the list. Think about it... we've had a Tactical ship with the New Orleans, and now a Cruiser with the Ambassador. I'd say we got a 1 in 3 chance that a science bundle is next. And the Nova would be perfect for it.

As to WHEN... I don't know. We got AoD coming up, with a bunch of Discovery ships, and we got Winter Event after that, with whatever ship we get for that, then we got the Anniversary shortly after that.

I'm happy KDF got their T6 Vor'cha, and look forward to eventually flying one myself on mine, but it is about time the Nova got a bit of love. The guy they got helping with ship models is doing an incredable job. Wonder what he'd do with the Nova...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    AoD is just around the corner. Feels like there just isn't time for anything non-Discovery to be released at this point.

I don't doubt that AoD is gonna take up a lot of time. BUT... as I said... its possible. We've now got two fan favorite ships at T6, and we got an unexpected surprise in the New Orleans. A T6 Nova may not be right around the corner... but I have a feeling it is on the radar.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Get Tobias Richter, the work he did on the Excelsior is stunning
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

He's the guy I think STO's working with already. He also remodeled DS9 as well. I remember hearing on a livestream they wanted to get him to help with as many models as they can...
    • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      edited September 2018
      The Nova was not intended to be a Powerhouse like the T5FU Nova........... it's a small ship, designed for the purpose of strength in numbers so that from an economic stand point, resources can be used to quickly put out a fleets of small science ships THAT ARE EXPENDABLE ....... to expose and cripple enemy ships fighting along side and communicating with Steam Runners so that the more expensive Excelcier battle cruisers can move in and finish them off, backed up by by much more powerful Command Ships and Dreadnoughts.
      Coordinating in this manner allows you to suffer minimal loses or no loses at all, allowing damaged ships to fall back and make repairs as the fight continues.

To build a T5FU Nova is a waiste of resources and thus would not exist.......
      Now a larger version that looks the same that was designed for a specific role is in order.
      But this is just a game......... Bring on the mini Dreadnought as if we don't already have enough.

So, it's a waste of resources to take an already solid ship that's a little behind the curve and retrofit it, but it's fine to design and build an entirely new line of ships from the ground up?

You consider it a waste then people put new engines in cars? Is that a better use of resources then just building an entirely new car from the ground up? The statement that the Nova is an expendable ship designed for a 'strength in numbers' approach is completely unsupported anywhere either in canon lore or in Star Trek Online. It's nothing but a completely unsubstantiated personal opinion on which you're building you're entire flawed argument. You're also assuming material and research expenditures as none of this information is provided either. You have no idea how much it 'costs' Starfleet to conceptualize, research and build a ship vs. the cost of retrofitting. The movies and shows however, show many examples of many ships being retrofitted on a regular basis so it stands to reason that it's an efficient technique for Starfleet. Heck the Enterprise E has some type of change or upgrade in every movie it appears in. The 1701-A was also retrofitted more then once as was the Excelsior. It's a common practice for Starfleet, it's where the game gets the idea.

Nothing you have said in your entire statement is supported anywhere in canon or in STO. If you personally think a T6 Nova is a bad idea, then fine.. I get that. But please don't just make up things to support your case, it's not going to fool anyone.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • xuelxuel Member Posts: 169 Arc User
      You mean that Gaurdian cruiser clone? Not sure what the big deal is to be honest. just selling the same virtual stuff as they did when t6 first came out, just slightly different to the original design.

I'm not a fan of it for good reason, cryptic put little to no effort into coming up with an original design recently. one thing i could never fault Cryptic for is original ship designs. but recently it is all clones of previous ships within the same tier. it is like Cryptic staff have no creativity left in their design and art departments.

i really want to be be proved wrong though when Cryptic gets away from the ship cloning business.

Well Cryptic does switch between updating current designs and making original designs. Just look at the Miracle Worker tug boats as a semi-recent example.
    • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
      Again just proves that the guardian should have been an ambassador type in the first palce. Mixing those two ships would have been awesome.
      And honestly the guardian still has the better boff layout imo, same goes for the Vor’ral, great boff layout for a battle cruiser.
      Good for the kdf though, they didn't have a single cmdr./temporal ship outside the 31st bunch so that finally fills a gap. Might get the bundle just because I'd get a T6 Vor'Kang out of it.

Well they have the D6...but that is SUPER expensive.
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      edited September 2018
      rattler2 wrote: »

He's the guy I think STO's working with already. He also remodeled DS9 as well. I remember hearing on a livestream they wanted to get him to help with as many models as they can...

It would be nice to see what new designs he could come up with, his take on the Nova could be interesting
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
        A T6 Nova may not be right around the corner... but I have a feeling it is on the radar.

Before Age of Discovery was announced, I had a feeling we'd see the Nova this year. Not so sure now, but I think early next year is likely. Personally I'd have preferred to see it than the Recon Destroyer or the Support Cruiser, but that's just one guy's opinion.

• woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
        Since I was a kid I loved the design of the Nova class. So flying a T6 version would be cool - if it received a Tobias Richter-style quality pass, and perhaps a clone of the Pathfinder's Aerowing console to bolster the Nova's offensive and defensive powers with a Waverider pet. B)

The design just makes so much sense. Follows the TOS-Connie layout (saucer, engineering hull, pair of nacelles on upswept pylons) but updated to DS9-era standards (phaser strips, glowing deflector, glowing nacelles, hull panelling, etc. etc.). <3

And for the sake of a laugh, an image just popped into my head regarding the "mini dreadnought" trolling - imagine the Warship Equinox, with "Living Witness"-style weapon arrays sitting on the hull. Lol. :D
        Leipzig University, 1409-2409
        A ship is only as good as the person playing it.

Quoted for Truth.
        It doesn't matter what you're flying. Any ship can be powerful. The real power behind a ship... is her Captain.
        You can have the most expensive ship in the game, but still do shtako for damage. On the other hand you could be running a freebee T5 Sovereign and be a badass.

Don't count any ship out just because its not top tier on the competative curcuit. A skilled Captain can make just about anything into a surprising powerhouse.
      • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
        My favs are the Excelcier and https://sto.gamepedia.com/Koro't'inga_Battle_Cruiser
        Excelcier has only 2 sci consoles thus trash as far as PvP ( shields get stripped )
        Kinga_Battle_Cruiser has the most excelent art work, would like to see a Science Variant like the new cruisers, need at least 3 sci consoles for PvP

What??? Trash in PVP??? Bruh you seriously need to GIT GUD that ship does just fine for those who know how to play her
        3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        Quoted for Truth.
        It doesn't matter what you're flying. Any ship can be powerful. The real power behind a ship... is her Captain.
        You can have the most expensive ship in the game, but still do shtako for damage. On the other hand you could be running a freebee T5 Sovereign and be a badass.

Don't count any ship out just because its not top tier on the competative curcuit. A skilled Captain can make just about anything into a surprising powerhouse.
        Yeah I keep seeing people post things like "It'd be good if it had..." Ok... what does it have instead and how can you use that to your advantage?
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
        Cool it down a bit in here folks. No need to break out the flamethrowers on each other.
        "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
      • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
        Quoted for Truth.

Yeah I keep seeing people post things like "It'd be good if it had..." Ok... what does it have instead and how can you use that to your advantage?

This right here. I've seen people so many times saying what they wished a ship had instead of taking advantage of what said ship actually has.

I'd never look at a ship and wish it had something else, I just build with what it has and fly it. Including the much-hated Y'tijara.
        Now a LTS and loving it.
        Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
        I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
      • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
        edited September 2018
        (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
        Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
        echatty wrote: »
        This right here. I've seen people so many times saying what they wished a ship had instead of taking advantage of what said ship actually has.

I'd never look at a ship and wish it had something else, I just build with what it has and fly it. Including the much-hated Y'tijara.

I think the T5 Excelsior and T6 Resolute might be the ones you would though. 3 Engie stations are a bit rough to work with. Unless you got a BOff ability from the Winter Event.
      This discussion has been closed.