test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do I restart the tutorial?

captainhallowaycaptainhalloway Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I am an established player with seven characters at endgame. When building a new character during the last delta recruitment event I encountered a strange situation for which I have yet found no solution - and 'start over' is not an option as the point of the character was having a delta recruit in Starfleet.

I am able to fly my ship around sector space in a normal fashion, but I shouldn't be able to - I did not complete the tutorial. So the character is rank 'cadet' and cannot access many game features (like entering systems or beaming down).

Ideally I'd just like to restart the tutorial, either at the beginning or from approximately where I left off (fighting a klingon boarding party). But I have been unable to find a method of communicating with any staff member who could either fix the problem, or tell me about a solution I have not yet tried by which I might fix it myself.

Comments

• Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    I’m not 100% sure you can I know some tutorials that haven’t been completed show in the available tab I think been a while since I’ve looked
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I am an established player with seven characters at endgame. When building a new character during the last delta recruitment event I encountered a strange situation for which I have yet found no solution - and 'start over' is not an option as the point of the character was having a delta recruit in Starfleet.

I am able to fly my ship around sector space in a normal fashion, but I shouldn't be able to - I did not complete the tutorial. So the character is rank 'cadet' and cannot access many game features (like entering systems or beaming down).

Ideally I'd just like to restart the tutorial, either at the beginning or from approximately where I left off (fighting a klingon boarding party). But I have been unable to find a method of communicating with any staff member who could either fix the problem, or tell me about a solution I have not yet tried by which I might fix it myself.

You said the point was having a Delta Recruit and then said you didn't complete the Tutorial.

If you didn't complete the Tutorial, you are unfortunately not a Delta Recruit. If you could find a way to repeat the Tutorial, it will not make you a Delta Recruit as the event is not currently active. If you haven't received a Tesseract Communication Device then your character is not a Delta Recruit.

I am not sure why you're stuck, but if your character is still low level and you don't have the Communication Device then deleting the character and starting over really is going to be your best option.

Sorry if I am being the bearer of bad news. If you do have the Tesseract Device, then yeah.. we should see if we can find a way to save the character, otherwise.. best to airlock him/her and start a new.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Agree with sea. Unless you have the Tesseract Device, you are not a DR. But if you were fighting Klingon boarding parties, then I think you should have it, as you get it in the holodeck, IIRC. If so, then yeah, we should try to find a way to get you back into the tutorial.

Like Jordan said, look in the Available tab of your journal and see if your next mission is there.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

Cryptic specifically stated that if you wanted the Delta Recruit perks (via the Tesseract Devive), you had to fully complete the Tutorial while the Delta Recruit event was active. It hasn't been active for some time, so in the end, you're out of luck. If your character in question never got to the point where he/she/it got the device - it's not gonna happen at this point in time.

Your only option is to see if they do another 'Delta Recruit' type event in the future; and make a new character then, and make sure you finish getting him/her/it through said tutorial completely and successfully before you log out/move on to a different character.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The tesseract device is awarded halfway through the tutorial. I know this, because I already received it on the character. Are you saying the teserract won't function if the tutorial wasn't completed?
    7v3Vmdb.png
    CdbaWHN.jpg

Post edited by captainhalloway on
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The tesseract device is awarded halfway through the tutorial. I know this, because I already received it on the character.

I understand, I can see that you have it.. I was confused by this part:
    I did not complete the tutorial.

It's hard to come up with a solution because I don't really understand your problem. The easiest way to restart whatever mission you are working on is to simply drop the mission and then restart it from your mission journal. Are you able to just drop your current mission? You should then be able to click on your mission journal and simply hail the contact for the first mission you have incomplete.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    albaeokalbaeok Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    OMG give that kitty cat the T-6 Nova way to cute not to!!!
  • Options
    The tesseract device is awarded halfway through the tutorial. I know this, because I already received it on the character.
    I understand, I can see that you have it.. I was confused by this part:
    I did not complete the tutorial.
    It's hard to come up with a solution because I don't really understand your problem. The easiest way to restart whatever mission you are working on is to simply drop the mission and then restart it from your mission journal. Are you able to just drop your current mission? You should then be able to click on your mission journal and simply hail the contact for the first mission you have incomplete.

The encounter with your 'future self' occurs halfway through the tutorial, and that's when you get the device. So, I am past that part.

Unfortunately, there is no option to drop the mission - that button is greyed out, along with the 'Hail Starfleet' and 'Share' buttons. It seems likely that no one in the development team thought about what might happen if someone quit out during the tutorial then loaded in 'safe mode,' which is how I wound up where I am.

Thank you for trying, though.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    When some alteration is made to a mission that is partially completed, the mission reboots completely. This means all partial progress in the mission is reset and you're thrown back to to the very beginning. For a normal mission, this means you have to restart from the beginning, but for a tutorial character, it means the entire character is bricked.

This is probably not a case they considered to normally be worth trying to correct for since tutorial characters are not normally terribly valuable and it would be easy to make another one. This is why it is dangerous to be partially through a mission that is critical like this.

Well crud. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    While I possibly CAN'T help you (and am just a player like you and my post is not detailed or accurate), still decided to add the following just in case.

Yes, it could be you are "screwed"/need support or GM or any other try to specifically solve your issue. Still please further for MAYBE you have a chance.

Considering you have the tesseract (device) already, there is a possibility you have finished one part of the tutorial and still will be able to be back on track for the next part by approaching the relevant place which triggers that part (continue: <name of quest/part of quest>). This assuming OFC there was no reset/change/other malfunctioning in the mission which I don't know about.

In J -> In progress tab or otherwise, press the mission you are in and look at the quest long description and try to figure out on which stage you are on the mission and where you should be going.
    While there, also MARKING THE CURRENT MISSION YOU ARE ON AS PRIMARY may worth a try - it's possible a gold circle on the map will direct you to the right place/direction to go. Go the place/system you allegedly should go by either description of the stage and the quest itself, or gold circle (or gold direction arrow if there is such) if appeared after you made the mission primary.

I don't promise anything though, but good luck.