test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The advantage we have with STO and Discovery is they don't take place in the same time period. So it would be easier to integrate Discovery content as it comes out because from a 25th Century perspective... it happened a couple hundred years ago.

Defiance took place at the same time, and they wanted events in the show to have an impact in the game world, and vice versa.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Defiance took place at the same time, and they wanted events in the show to have an impact in the game world, and vice versa.
    True, this sort of thing was an issue in the Matrix MMO too. It had a partially sandbox story where player actions influenced the way the game story progressed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nickarcher404nickarcher404 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    > @sakessh said:
    > Please don't make this happen. I am in no way begrudging anyone's right to like TRIBBLE, that being said, in my opinion, there are a greater number of people who do not. The number of people who availed themselves to the Discovery items/ships already in game should be an indicator of that. Discovery is a dying show, the decision to make it a pay to view show, as well as the imposition of many polarizing sociopolitical themes, alienated a large segment of the fan population. CBS knows this, which is possibly (or at least thats the rumor) why the possibility of bringing back Patrick Stewart and the TNG universe is being discussed. Discovery's latest trailer is a pretty good indicator of how desperate they are. Despite, importing more and more elements form ToS, whose cannon was completely disregarded, or distorted to unrecognizable levels in the first season, Discovery's viewership continues to disappoint. Discovery proves the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    > If you want a better idea for an expansion put out a poll, with multiple options, or run a contest. Or contact ME! I've got an idea that utilizes existing resources, while introducing new elements, and would generate more revenue!!!!!!

Yes. Please dear baby Jesus. Yes.

Is there (and this is truly a genuine question) anyone left at Cryptic who remembers when polls were sent out to players? When the forums we're monitored and Devs built, fixed and improved systems that we, the community and their cash cows, discussed and wanted?

I remember those days. And I can tell all those who weren't here almost 9 years ago; we saw seasons that defied the laws of physics. Making our 3rd person feel like a 1st person shooter with Crossfire, seeing the Unidine and Borg Duke it out back when Infected Queues were actually challenging unless you had the right build and team comp. Heck, we had new featured episode series 3-4 times a year, each with 4-5 episodes a release! Now we've replaced stories with dinosaurs with laser cannons. I get not publishing episodes until they're nice and shiny, but they don't need to be that shiny. More lore, voice work and information would be better than pushing the TRIBBLE narrative just to sell TRIBBLE items over actual stories is not what we want.

Heck, I doubt anyone wants another tutorial mission! I shall hope and pray we start at level 50+ if we have to grind a new TRIBBLE character.
    You think Crossfire was an example of a GOOD season update? Hmm pretty sure those rose tinted glasses are on so tight you're gonna need to have them surgically removed.

*gets out chainsaw*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    looking at the stuff it added on the wiki...yes, i would call crossfire a good update​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

looking at the stuff it added on the wiki...yes, i would call crossfire a good update​​

Just wish we had the 2016 model of it, I liked that one....or a way to lop a good 1/3 off the engine pods. >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Let's just say it was a "systems focused" season, which meant not much else got done around that time. It was a pretty good change in terms of reworking ground combat to be less annoying, but it was stuff like UI changes that was a large chunk of the season.

It's the update where the First City got added to Qo'nos to replace the Great Hall. It had several KDF missions added, but they were basically fetch quests with a thin layer of story that existed primarily to give you a reason to wander around the First City.

Oh right, I forgot, this is the season they added Foundry. That was a major thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Not concerned about the show, but the STO one may be interesting.

But this thread, though... I'm not sure whether to cringe or laugh (especially when the "true fan" malarkey appears, as if that's even a thing). Easy to see why Reddit looks down on the official forums with this behaviour.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    With the launch of Age of Discovery, you’ll be able to create a Discovery Era Starfleet character. Choose from a few Discovery era races, head out into space on a Malachowski-class Starship, and experience a reimagined starting experience that will begin a new journey in Star Trek Online. We can’t wait for you to boldly go where no one has gone before.
    So will this be a new TOS copy/paste style micro-faction alternate start for FEDs or are will this be the new starter story for all FEDs? Because the line "experience a reimagined starting experience" could suggest that it might be the case that all FED characters will be considered Discovery characters now.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    With the launch of Age of Discovery, you’ll be able to create a Discovery Era Starfleet character. Choose from a few Discovery era races, head out into space on a Malachowski-class Starship, and experience a reimagined starting experience that will begin a new journey in Star Trek Online. We can’t wait for you to boldly go where no one has gone before.
    So will this be a new TOS copy/paste style micro-faction alternate start for FEDs or are will this be the new starter story for all FEDs? Because the line "experience a reimagined starting experience" could suggest that it might be the case that all FED characters will be considered Discovery characters now.

The 2409 tutorial is not going anywhere.
    And just like...
    • the Kelvin Timeline isn't canon
    • Voyager isn't canon
    • Enterprise isn't canon

JJ Trek is canon though it takes place in another universe. Voyager and Enterprise are canon. Discovery is canon too. Star trek canon breaks itself so many times that consistency doesn't matter at all. Any preexisting canon that Discovery breaks will simply be ignored or retconned.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

The 2409 tutorial is not going anywhere.
    Good to know. Thanks.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

This is no different from AoY, and i dont remember that that changed the starting experience… considering that i just started a Cardassian a week ago, but what i know is that they are revisiting the former starting episodes to streamline them a bit, as i said, i started a cardassian and it was awful… The Doomsday Device?... ohh, i hate it!... weapons that does not level with you, some things that plain doesnt work… its good they touch them up a Little before some new players appears...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    Can’t understand these cries for AoD to be cancelled. Imagine going working on something for months to have someone say “I don’t like that, I don’t have to buy it or play it but I don’t want to see anyone have it” a bit selfish really. It’s been said over and over no one is being forced to play any AoD content. All I’m saying those who have a hate for discovery let it be for those of us who want to play AoD. Instead of calling for it to be pulled
    edited September 2018
    jordan3550 wrote: »
    Can’t understand these cries for AoD to be cancelled. Imagine going working on something for months to have someone say “I don’t like that, I don’t have to buy it or play it but I don’t want to see anyone have it” a bit selfish really. It’s been said over and over no one is being forced to play any AoD content. All I’m saying those who have a hate for discovery let it be for those of us who want to play AoD. Instead of calling for it to be pulled

That's why it would have been funny HAD it been changed to be the new tutorial for all FED characters. Oh well.
  • jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @salazarraze said:
    > jordan3550 wrote: »
    >
    > Can’t understand these cries for AoD to be cancelled. Imagine going working on something for months to have someone say “I don’t like that, I don’t have to buy it or play it but I don’t want to see anyone have it” a bit selfish really. It’s been said over and over no one is being forced to play any AoD content. All I’m saying those who have a hate for discovery let it be for those of us who want to play AoD. Instead of calling for it to be pulled
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's why it would have been funny HAD it been changed to be the new tutorial for all FED characters. Oh well.

Could you imagine the melt down some would have lol
    And just like...
    • the Kelvin Timeline isn't canon
    • Voyager isn't canon
    • Enterprise isn't canon

JJ Trek is canon though it takes place in another universe. Voyager and Enterprise are canon. Discovery is canon too. Star trek canon breaks itself so many times that consistency doesn't matter at all. Any preexisting canon that Discovery breaks will simply be ignored or retconned.

I was pointing out the fact that people who don't like something recycle the same old arguments. EVERY time something new comes out... it is raged against because "its different, and violates canon".

I know they're all canon. I only know of one instance of any franchise declaring something seen on screen as non canon.
    latest?cb=20100618100712
    The only thing they got right was predicting the fall of the Goa'uld. Other than that... it really didn't have much in common with the rest of the franchise, and many of the stories were mediocre. But... it did show quite a few non human races.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    No worries. I was just supporting your sarcastic jab with more of a straight forward confirmation
  • thiskevinbuttonthiskevinbutton Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Am I the only one laughing at all the haters? "This doesn't fit in this game at all." Have you played this game? As a Starfleet Captain, you slaughter over a billion lives just on the normal story mission run through. There's barely any diplomacy missions and every mission has an excessive amount of mobs that you have to kill. Star Trek Discovery's aesthetic and themes fit more into this game than any of the other series do. Personally, I'd rather this game get a huge makeover and tie in more with Discovery and less with the other series. I honestly feel that Star Trek deserves a game with far more diplomacy and exploration than "Go here, kill all that, rinse wash repeat," than what this game offers if it is to offer a massive multiplayer game that ties into the Next Gen and Original Series Eras.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Am I the only one laughing at all the haters?

No, you're not.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    edited September 2018
    [quote="rattler2;c-13423799"]I only know of one instance of any franchise declaring something seen on screen as non canon.[/quote]

highlander​​
    Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    highlander​​

Care to elaborate?
    patrickngo wrote: »
    people tend to be infected with a self-righteous need to try to prevent others from doing things they enjoy.

Pretty much. Its the ever present "True Fans Defending the Faith" shtick. "If you like X, then you are no TRUE fan" situation. And because the current hate target is Discovery, ANYTHING Discovery related is evil and must burn in hell because "TRUE fans hate it for X reason". The convoluted copyright argument with an Indie Developer (That I had never even HEARD of before all this shtako), that had been handled EXREMELY poorly by that guy's lawyers and is clearly a case of parallel development as well as the fact some of the cited things don't even have anything in common with each other, just added fuel to the hater fires. "Oh CBS is being sued over X? CANCEL IT OTHERWISE YOU WILL TOO!"

I'm honestly tired of seeing things like this EVERY time we get any kind of new Star Trek. It all boils down to the fact "Its not the same". EVERY new Trek show has been trashed when it first comes out. Even TNG. With the advent of the Internet... its gotten worse, as these individuals can find like minded people and make their voices LOUDER. And anyone who doesn't agree with them is attacked and labled as "Not a TRUE fan".

And going back to the stupid lawsuit... it feels like a smaller version of Harmony Gold attacking anything Battletech/Mechwarrior. Some of their claims against certain battlemechs were laughable because there is no way in hell an Armored Veritech looks ANYTHING like an Atlas! I'm amazed they aren't trying to sue ANYONE who makes any kind of mecha over the fact they either have two arms and two legs, or just the meer fact they are vehicles with legs in general as if they own the entire concept of giant walking machines!

[/soapbox]
    well no, that would be the japanese - they eat, sleep and breathe mecha​​

#LegalizeAwoo

I know. But the way Harmony Gold acts with their lawsuit gun, you'd swear they came up with it themselves. Hell... aren't they in the middle of a lawsuit against one of the Japanese companies that licensed to them, essentially biting one of the hands that fed them over 20 years ago?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

And going back to the stupid lawsuit... it feels like a smaller version of Harmony Gold attacking anything Battletech/Mechwarrior. Some of their claims against certain battlemechs were laughable because there is no way in hell an Armored Veritech looks ANYTHING like an Atlas! I'm amazed they aren't trying to sue ANYONE who makes any kind of mecha over the fact they either have two arms and two legs, or just the meer fact they are vehicles with legs in general as if they own the entire concept of giant walking machines!

[/soapbox]

I was playing Battletech when it was new, and FASA absolutely DID use designs from Macross without the slightest attempt at disguising them. I was at a panel where this was explained, FASA had paid for a license to use those designs but it turns out the entity they licensed from wasn't authorized to do it. Harmony Gold's license took precedence and FASA had to stop using those Macross designs. HG was legally in the right.

If you dispute this, I can only imagine that you're only familiar with newer Battletech material and never saw the original infringing designs. Because I was there in the mid-80s and there's absolutely no question that they used Macross mecha designs. It wasn't a matter of "looks like" or "derived from", it was the exact same designs with no changes whatsoever. FASA never denied where they came from, either, they just thought they had a valid license and were mistaken.

The thing is, FASA did have a license to do that from the original companies who made those shows. Harmony Gold claimed that they had sole rights to any use of any of that stuff IN THE US, and after a long tangled court battle they won. It turns out though that in a challenge later on Harmony Gold was proven to have been completely wrong in their assertions and actually FASA did have the rights to use the likenesses in the game.

It all goes back to the same kind of situation that Trek finds itself in now with the rights being split between CBS and Paramount the way they are, and it had an even worse impact on Macross than has on Star Trek so far (of course it was a far worse tangle than only two companies so that makes sense).
    The thing is, FASA did have a license to do that from the original companies who made those shows. Harmony Gold claimed that they had sole rights to any use of any of that stuff IN THE US, and after a long tangled court battle they won. It turns out though that in a challenge later on Harmony Gold was proven to have been completely wrong in their assertions and actually FASA did have the rights to use the likenesses in the game.

This.
    I was playing Battletech when it was new, and FASA absolutely DID use designs from Macross without the slightest attempt at disguising them. I was at a panel where this was explained, FASA had paid for a license to use those designs but it turns out the entity they licensed from wasn't authorized to do it. Harmony Gold's license took precedence and FASA had to stop using those Macross designs. HG was legally in the right.

If you dispute this, I can only imagine that you're only familiar with newer Battletech material and never saw the original infringing designs. Because I was there in the mid-80s and there's absolutely no question that they used Macross mecha designs. It wasn't a matter of "looks like" or "derived from", it was the exact same designs with no changes whatsoever. FASA never denied where they came from, either, they just thought they had a valid license and were mistaken.

I've been into Battletech since MechWarrior 2 actually. But it wasn't until years later that I learned about the BS Harmony Gold pulled. And honestly I kinda liked the old Marauder. But my first Rifleman was the Clan IIC, not the Inner Sphere version. Same with the Warhammer.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

[/soapbox]

It all goes back to the same kind of situation that Trek finds itself in now with the rights being split between CBS and Paramount the way they are, and it had an even worse impact on Macross than has on Star Trek so far (of course it was a far worse tangle than only two companies so that makes sense).

HG has always been infantile.

And the tug of war between CBS and Paramount is also infantile.

Personally, I'd love to see another company own Trek, and one that.....you know....respects fanbases, rather than seeing them as a liability. ~shrug~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg