test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No new romulan ships in the last 2 ship releases?

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Even if Romulans have a major role in the new Picard series, I doubt there will be any new Romulan ships from it due to the destruction of Romulus.
    I hope that the destruction of Romulus gets retconned out with the Picard series. I'm sure that i'm not the only one that thinks this.

Might be more interesting to adopt the Star Trek novels' approach with the Typhon Pact to have the Romulans in another Federation to counterbalance the Federation. A strong Romulan force seems more interesting than a bunch of weak Romulans dealing with the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus. Although, a TV series set right after the destruction of Romulus with a major focus on the Romulans surviving would be interesting.

It just seems redundant to make the Romulans into a bunch of refugees when we already have another superpower hostile to the Federation that had their world devastated and its people turn into a bunch of refugees with the Cardassians.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

It just seems redundant to make the Romulans into a bunch of refugees when we already have another superpower hostile to the Federation that had their world devastated and its people turn into a bunch of refugees with the Cardassians.

It'll be +30 years or there about from the end of the Dominion War. They should be fairly firmly set into post-reconstruction phase (not conditions likely to produce large refugee populations) by the time of the new show and we haven't actually seen anything on screen of a "refugee Cardassian people" (DS9 ended with the war.)

I think it's an easy guess that the new series will deal with a shattered Romulan Empire in some way. Picard has a personal connection which would be fertile ground for story telling in any post-captain role he's place in. Plus if DSC steers clear of ROM's (likely considering pre-TOS) it's an easy way of distinguishing the two shows while servicing core parts of the Trek universe.

And if so, you can bet that Cryptic is going to jump at the chance for supporting a second concurrently running Trek series. But, I don't think we'll have to wait for another new show to see more ROM ships (these last two data points are insufficient to draw a meaningful regression.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    NOTHING you have said says that they could not produce a 3 pack ship instead of making 2 two ship packs...
    They addressed this in the live stream! Short version: they had two packs on the schedule and didn't have time to make more than Fed/KDF versions.

I do find it unlikely that we'll get stand alone Rom or Dom release in the future. Unless it's an add-on to an incomplete bundle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    (Flaming comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Or, more likely, they saw it as a choice between doing 2 new things or doing one new thing in several flavors.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Actually, to be fair, it'd be a 4-pack at this stage. Don't forget we have another semi-Faction now.

You may get less complaints from the Jem'Hader about not getting new ships because they just got a 'big' drop of them with ViL.

They are also not likely to question the wisdom of the Founders (Developers). :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Yeah Thomas said in the livestream that they wanted to make Rom and Jem versions but didn't have time.

try designing a single 3 pack then instead of a pair of 2 packs....

Try designing a KDF/ROM/FED 3 pack that includes the New Orleans, Ambassador, and Vor'Cha (while supporting two different ship platforms and providing inclusion of each faction.) ;)

2 packs of 2 worked better with the given optimization problem and, thanks to a little creativity and the ship tailor, my KDF/ROM's pretty darn happy with what they did get.

DnV-zyhXgAAriIN.jpg

It's an alliance ship, deal with it. :tongue:

And to be frank, if there was a ROM support cruiser in these bundles I wouldn't have bought it (even though my ROMs were in greatest need.) The Vor'Cha's usable on more of my characters and the customizations options are sufficient for me to personalize a ROM-themed variant for that character (I was fine with the paint job, Tor'kaht parts were a bonus.)

Oh! That looks very nice. I'm thinking of making something similar in looks for my main. Do you know if it can use Material 4 for the hull? Although, I hope that someday they decide to bring back the Ha'nom and Ha'feh ships. To be honest, I think that the destroyer pack could've fit a Ha'feh T6 variant in.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    With any luck, the next two-pack ship release could be a Federation ship + Romulan ship.

No reason they couldn't do that - though sadly I suspect that'd upset the KDF/Dominion supporters.
    There's a pretty BIG reason they wouldn't do that. I suspect any future Romulan ships will likely be released along with other cross faction minor race ships like Jem'Hadar ships, Cardassian ships, etc. They could even be released along with Federation and KDF ships under parameters that I posted about earlier. But a FED/ROM or KDF/ROM only ship release?

Dare I say impossible with what we've seen in this game over the last 2 years but I'm calling it impossible anyway.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ltminns wrote: »
    Actually, to be fair, it'd be a 4-pack at this stage. Don't forget we have another semi-Faction now.

You may get less complaints from the Jem'Hader about not getting new ships because they just got a 'big' drop of them with ViL.

They are also not likely to question the wisdom of the Founders (Developers). :)

Seriosuly? you expect to see more dominion ships? Do you also expect to see more 23c TOS ships?

@sthe91 Id respond but coldnapalm busted yer balls quite nicely
    Huh? What I said was that everybody is throwing around talk of 3-packs, but their are FOUR Factions, so it would be 4-packs that would need to be created to cover all Factions.

I don't expect more Dominion Ships right now, that is why I stated that there would be less complaining from them as they just got a load of ships, including an off-pack Lockbox Light Battleship. The Lifetime Heavy Destroyer and Commander's Gig would probably be next anyway.

Who said TOS? Not I. Everyone knows they are not a Faction, semi-Faction, just a faux Faction at best. They have six Missions and then they become standard 25th Century Federation. No choice possible.

If you were trying to bust my balls, you need to understand what is written first.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I have an idea to get us out of this dilemma. There were quite a few complaints with all the GPL that drops in the Ferengi Admiralty Campaign with nothing to spend it on. Well Cryptic should just create a bunch of Romulan Ship Holograms for some of the classics (Scimitar, Valdore, D'deridex, T'Varo, for example) for the GPL Store.

Then Romulan Players can fly the 'Ships of their Allies' but still think they are flying a Romulan Ship, albeit with higher power levels. That can take them through the long journey into the night when Cryptic finally gets around to creating new Romulan Ship Designs that will get complaints for the asthethics anyway.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Huh? What I said was that everybody is throwing around talk of 3-packs, but their are FOUR Factions, so it would be 4-packs that would need to be created to cover all Factions.

I don't expect more Dominion Ships right now, that is why I stated that there would be less complaining from them as they just got a load of ships, including an off-pack Lockbox Light Battleship. The Lifetime Heavy Destroyer and Commander's Gig would probably be next anyway.

Who said TOS? Not I. Everyone knows they are not a Faction, semi-Faction, just a faux Faction at best. They have six Missions and then they become standard 25th Century Federation. No choice possible.

If you were trying to bust my balls, you need to understand what is written first.

I seriously doubt Cryptic will add any more content to the microfactions. Just spend a few months creating a microfaction with an appropriate Pack and forget that it even exists. Romulan is a step above the microfactions which warrants some attention, but it is not the Klingon or Starfleet factions. The Jem'Hadar microfaction design and TOS Starfleet microfaction design are the future of all future factions in the game. Discovery Starfleet will likely follow the TOS Starfleet microfaction design and join 25th Century Starfleet at level 10 through time travel with a few missions set in the 23rd Century while a Borg Cooperative microfaction would follow the Jem'Hadar microfaction design and start at level 60 with one tutorial mission.
    edited September 2018
    starkaos wrote: »

I seriously doubt Cryptic will add any more content to the microfactions. Just spend a few months creating a microfaction with an appropriate Pack and forget that it even exists. Romulan is a step above the microfactions which warrants some attention, but it is not the Klingon or Starfleet factions. The Jem'Hadar microfaction design and TOS Starfleet microfaction design are the future of all future factions in the game. Discovery Starfleet will likely follow the TOS Starfleet microfaction design and join 25th Century Starfleet at level 10 through time travel with a few missions set in the 23rd Century while a Borg Cooperative microfaction would follow the Jem'Hadar microfaction design and start at level 60 with one tutorial mission.

Cryptic confirmed new ships coming at some point for DOM when addressing the fears about the ROM.
    Hey folks,

I understand the concern, so I want to assure you we aren't planning on never making another Romulan or Jem'hadar ship. I was just chatting with our concept artist, Hector, about designs for those guys. That being said, with everything that we're putting together for Age of Discovery in the fall, and the Anniversary in 2019, I wouldn't expect to see those ships right away. As always, we'll keep you updated.

As for AoD mini-faction: it's unlikely that 1. Cryptic will be able to release all DSC-era FED ships with the initial release and 2. that DSC won't add any more FED designs over its run. We can probably expect new DSC era ships for some time (though they'll probably be usable by any FED, it's still thematic support for AoD characters.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    yeah sadly I think we have seen the last rom ships.
    I find that unlikely. Not everything in the past was a 3-pack, and they've publicly stated they plan to make more.

They said that they will not never make any more...I don't care where you're from...those aren't very promising words.
    How many full carriers like the Jupiter did the KDF and Romulans get since its release?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    First, you seem to take a flat denial as something else for some bizarre reason. Second, that denial was followed immediately by "I was just talking to the ship guy about Rom & Dom ships".

DEV 1: "Are you guys planning on making more Roms ships?"
    SHIP GUY: "Well, I won't go so far as to say we'll never make a Rom ship any more, but..."

Try and read between the lines. The entire circumspect way it was worded, does not bode well. Otherwise, a simple 'Yes' would have sufficed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Sometimes I really think Cryptic should never have added other factions to the game given how they tend to not keep the factions in sync in terms of offerings. They really can set people up for disappointment when they leave out other factions in terms of ship offerings and it's not as if Cryptic hasn't come up with new filler ships to keep the offerings in sync before. (See the second set of Romulan pilot ships)
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    edited September 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    First, you seem to take a flat denial as something else for some bizarre reason. Second, that denial was followed immediately by "I was just talking to the ship guy about Rom & Dom ships".

SHIP GUY: "Well, I won't go so far as to say we'll never make a Rom ship any more, but..."

Try and read between the lines. The entire circumspect way it was worded, does not bode well. Otherwise, a simple 'Yes' would have sufficed.

IMO reading the lines is what folks should try before looking for meaning between them. ;)
    I was just chatting with our concept artist, Hector, about designs for those guys. That being said, with everything that we're putting together for Age of Discovery in the fall, and the Anniversary in 2019, I wouldn't expect to see those ships right away. As always, we'll keep you updated.

ROM/DOM ships are coming and Cryptic gave us a rough timetable (sometime after the Anniversary, they've got a lot of other stuff going on between now and then).
    meimeitoo wrote: »

IMO reading the lines is what folks should try before looking for meaning between them. ;)
    I was just chatting with our concept artist, Hector, about designs for those guys. That being said, with everything that we're putting together for Age of Discovery in the fall, and the Anniversary in 2019, I wouldn't expect to see those ships right away. As always, we'll keep you updated.

ROM/DOM ships are coming and Cryptic gave us a rough timetable (sometime after the Anniversary, they've got a lot of other stuff going on between now and then).

Exactly...the anniversary ships are the only ships we will ever see...just like they did for the Klingons years ago, before the Romulan faction was released.

And those ships are at least 6 months away...while we see tons of Fed and some KDF ships come by.

I'm sorry...but getting a few ships a couple times a year is not something to be happy about, but hey I guess it's in human nature not to care about something that doesn't affect you.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2018

apparently you missed that gecko told us several times that the TOS faction was "at least as much of a faction as romulans" and yes thats what he said... They got more missions, more faction specific episodes, art, and even a 23c ESD social zone. Which makes them more of a faction than the jem'hadar one. Dominion isnt even the full dominion, its just Odo's chunk of Jem'hadar. So if you want to call the 23c faction a faux faction, then you need to seriously give up on the Vanguard Jem'hadar.
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    In the end the developers are working to a roadmap for STO and i for one would like a simple yes we have new ROM/DOM ships planned for a release some time around --/--/--.or later.Or an even simpler::thats your lot.

They planned VIL and every expansion months in advance and know what is coming.
    Same with any possible new ships.
    steinberg wrote: »
    In the end the developers are working to a roadmap for STO and i for one would like a simple yes we have new ROM/DOM ships planned for a release some time around --/--/--.or later.Or an even simpler::thats your lot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    now that you can fly your allies ships... no real need for more rom ships... can just fly the cannon ships and use the trait from your allies.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    steinberg wrote: »

Sigh, you would have thought people would have gotten the message by now. Additionally the many times the devs have explained that phrase and why they say it.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    tigeraries wrote: »
    now that you can fly your allies ships... no real need for more rom ships... can just fly the cannon ships and use the trait from your allies.

If I want to fly a Klingon ship I'll make a KDF character...if I want to fly a Fed ship I'll make a 23rd Century or 25th Century Starfleet character.

I make a Romulan to fly Romulan ships...I make a Jem'Hadar to fly Dominion ships.

No real need for more Fed ships since they have a HUGE catalog already...but still make more, unless you care to enlighten me what special niche the Recon Destroyer or the Support Cruiser fill that other Fed ships can't?
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »

If I want to fly a Klingon ship I'll make a KDF character...if I want to fly a Fed ship I'll make a 23rd Century or 25th Century Starfleet character.

I make a Romulan to fly Romulan ships...I make a Jem'Hadar to fly Dominion ships.

No real need for more Fed ships since they have a HUGE catalog already...but still make more, unless you care to enlighten me what special niche the Recon Destroyer or the Support Cruiser fill that other Fed ships can't?

well the t-6 ambassador got me to pay for a fed ship, nothing else had done that,

granted between release discount and dil trading it was closer to claiming a freebie with my t -6 vorcha.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    unless you care to enlighten me what special niche the Recon Destroyer or the Support Cruiser fill that other Fed ships can't?
    They fit the market niche of ships that would sell to Ambassador fans and New Orleans fans.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    unless you care to enlighten me what special niche the Recon Destroyer or the Support Cruiser fill that other Fed ships can't?
    They fit the market niche of ships that would sell to Ambassador fans and New Orleans fans.

Nothing they couldn't have saved for a more crucial ship...like the anniversary ship. It fit no needed niche....plenty of escorts with a Lt Cmdr Intel slot...multiple Cruisers with a Temporal Commander.

So nothing that hasn't already been filled.
This discussion has been closed.