What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Visual spam out of hand?

Comments

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I’ll see what I can do tonight.
    SulMatuul.png
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Is there a guide for turning 'enhancements' off?

I thought it was me and my dodgy eyesight, glad to read that others also find it dreadful.
    Well sadly the ability to turn off the FX in demos has been removed from the demo launcher now so I can’t post any comparison shots.
    There are limited changes one can make such as turning off shield facing visuals and possibly turning off damage floaters but it’s hardly a drop in the ocean of blinding, seizure inducing spam we have.
    SulMatuul.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't know what any of the shapes or lights around my ship mean. I've never bothered because they look awful. I look at the powers tray if I want to see if a power's active, or the little icons above the shield graphic.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    With the Tier 6 Reputation level we will get even more spam 'that displays dramatic visual FX for each Tier VI Reputation you have achieved.'

Oy!!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    As a console player I sadly must agree here. Playing the CC event last night the game slowed to a crawl with the screen stuttering through the frames due to everything that was going on. Rarely quite that bad, but there are times that it can get really rough since so many of our abilities can be set to automatically activate when something happens (activate always, activate on certain action activate when hull at 50% etc.).

When 5 players attack and everyone's abilities activate and we're all launching out alpha strokes it does get bad.
  • michael#8928 michael Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I would do more (as in any at all) ground queues if they did something about the visuals. Space is bad, but I find ground to be almost impossible with all the effects.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    An option to turn off individual effects, or add transparency to them, would be very appreciated.

I've suggested this before: create a radial menu, or semi-radial - think of a car's speedometer - with existing icons for active powers organized in place of where the speed reading would be, gray when off, lit and colored when on, with mouse-over tool-tip at all times.

With time, players will learn what is where, and be able to check based on memory where to look to see if so and so effect is on or not. It can be stacked too, like a rainbow, except each color band is a row of icons.

If this also allows turning on or off the respective visual effect by clicking on them, all the better, as it helps give feedback on what icon is represented by what effect, and address the layers upon layers of flashing, strobing effects that not only obscure what they're supposed to represent, but also the gameplay action underneath all that.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I suppose this won't exactly help either:

"Social Zone Ability!
    Brag to your friends about your progress by activating a new Ability that displays dramatic visual FX for each Tier VI Reputation you have achieved."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

"Social Zone Ability!
    Brag to your friends about your progress by activating a new Ability that displays dramatic visual FX for each Tier VI Reputation you have achieved."
    lol you had to mention that. 12 reps, 12 different dramatic visual FX to spam. Hope this doesn't turn out like when they made the balloons too big...
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    The other nite in CA it got so bad with visuals that my ship blew up and I didn't even know it lol. I thought I had blown up a Tholian ship next to me. I had to clicky the history (?) button next to the respawn button to actually see the description of what blew me up. It would be nice to have a series/movie mode u can activate so that all u can see is weapons fire and explosions. You know like in the series/movies...although I haven't seen Discovery yet so I have no idea if the ship turns pink when they Brace for Impact. :D
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Cryptic likes that stuff in their games...not just STO. When I used to play, watching the top end guys go at it on Neverwinter...it just looked like a huge ball of light where the dragon/boss troll supposedly was standing.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »

"Social Zone Ability!
    lol you had to mention that. 12 reps, 12 different dramatic visual FX to spam. Hope this doesn't turn out like when they made the balloons too big...
    Flashing lights when you choose to, on social zones where there's basically nothing else to do but show off, is no problem at all. Its the ones in combat, that you can't help but spam everywhere all the time and cover up all the actual gameplay that need to go.

And the huge balloons were awesome they should've kept them.
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2018

"Social Zone Ability!

Going blind may be the end result.and will they issue a health warning with the visual effects. :D:D
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    In social zones its mildly irritating at most when the screen gets filled with junk because it never gets to the point where you're prevented from playing due to not seeing anything on screen or having the frame rate tank in the case of console.

CC amplifies that because its 10 people all flying in from the same spot. If they cared about the games playability they would have spread the spawn to one group of five at either side. Doing so would reduce the visual assault while also reducing the annoying bumper cars thing that happens as 10 ships try to warp into the space for two.

The giant balloons from a party popper was a pointless nerf to something fun.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Let's play a game, identify what kind of shuttle I have!

m2YseRl.png
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    An option to cut out most of the big effects, maybe provide an indicator somewhere at top of the screen showing something's active? (We have nothing like this in console so don't know if it's on PC)

Some effects like simple shield effects would be fine as that's something small and very much in line with the show...like reverse shield polarity or somesuch. But I'd like to be able to tone back some of the big splashy stuff to help get the frame rate back under control and occassionally see my opponents when in a big group of players.
    The final waves in some of the bz's can get pretty bad with so many ships at once.
  • litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    This has been asked for on and off for years now, nothing ever comes back from the devs, almost makes you think they don’t play the game a lot.
    Would just love a visual toggle for each trait/ power etc you unlock, even if it’s just client end, IMO the early part of the game with less visual clutter looks more trek to me.
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

I one-up you: Identify which starship I am playing:

RYIhSzY.jpg​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited September 2018
    Oh jesus @angrytarg , have your retinas recovered yet?
    Post edited by lordsteve1 on
    SulMatuul.png
    Hehe, I'm probably one of a handful of ppl who actually likes the visual spam. :) Pretty lights are always good. And I have a half-way decent video card. Nevertheless, for those who don't, I think it could be a great QOL improvement if Cryptic allowed some of it to be disabled, as a personal option.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    angrytarg wrote: »

RYIhSzY.jpg​​

That looks more like a Tufli than a shuttle.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2018

RYIhSzY.jpg​​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTq9WeFt_M
    XzRTofz.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    a

RYIhSzY.jpg​​
    I can't even see there is a starship in that. Though I can assume that white smudge in the center is probably supposed to be one.

I give you and all a hint: The big thing is a Borg Command Ship, this is during a Red Alert. I am playing a T6 starship.

Disclaimer: The picture is unaltered, but shows Lighting 2.0 and 100% bloom. I have since then toned down bloom to around 10%, however it doesn't really distract from the visual spam.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

I give you and all a hint: The big thing is a Borg Command Ship, this is during a Red Alert. I am playing a T6 starship.

Disclaimer: The picture is unaltered, but shows Lighting 2.0 and 100% bloom. I have since then toned down bloom to around 10%, however it doesn't really distract from the visual spam.​​

2nd guess: T6 (Fleet) Excelsior.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

No, but it is actually a canon design so a bit warmer pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    If I could turn off all visual effects except for weapons, shields and engine trails, I would be the happiest STO player around. But, as others have stated, it's been suggested several times in the past and nothing ever came out of it.

No, but it is actually a canon design so a bit warmer pig-3.gif​​

In that case, it's gotta be the new U.S.S. Narendra.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.